Our great language

konstan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the funny mistakes I see a lot is "It's a mute point". The word is "moot".

adjective

1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.

2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

3. Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

Edited by chuixupu

One of the funny mistakes I see a lot is "It's a mute point". The word is "moot".

adjective

1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.

2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

3. Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

Nothing beats Joey's "moo point" though. You know, it's a cow's opinion.

I prefer the people who make the occasional grammar and spelling error over people who will post "condescending and insulting" threads about grammar and spelling errors.

Not to mention the fact that you had grammar and spelling errors in your original post that had to be pointed out to you.

absotivily agree :D

ouch yours bad spellings and grammers hurts us :rolleyes: ... please

I can haz spelt how evar I want u just two stupidz too bee able ajust to understand point

Yea I find myself in agreement. None of the spelling/grammar violations are so hideous I couldn't understand the message being conveyed. Nevermind the fact that people with English not being their native language play these things and post.

I don't think pointing out mistakes that are widely common is a bad thing to do as long as it's done in a respectful way. There is no shame in making mistakes, but one can't learn from them if he doesn't know he's made them.

Personally, I am always trying to improve my English, therefore I am grateful for corrections.

Also, he's right at some point. If you're looking for a job and send in an application full of mistakes you're likely to be rejected. Our English teacher keeps telling us how important correct spelling, grammar, etc. can be.

On the Internet, however, it's not as important to spell properly. There are lots of native speakers who make those mistakes, though, and not only on the Internet but in real life as well.

I don't think pointing out mistakes that are widely common is a bad thing to do as long as it's done in a respectful way. There is no shame in making mistakes, but one can't learn from them if he doesn't know he's made them.

Personally, I am always trying to improve my English, therefore I am grateful for corrections.

Also, he's right at some point. If you're looking for a job and send in an application full of mistakes you're likely to be rejected. Our English teacher keeps telling us how important correct spelling, grammar, etc. can be.

On the Internet, however, it's not as important to spell properly. There are lots of native speakers who make those mistakes, though, and not only on the Internet but in real life as well.

Oh were you submitting an application to BioWare in this forum then? :p

You're twisting my words on purpose :p

But I assure you, I'm still studying, so there's no point in doing that. ;)

Well only a little this time, for a change. I agree it's never too late to learn, I just disagree with the venue in this case. It comes off a bit pompous, to me.

Well only a little this time, for a change. I agree it's never too late to learn, I just disagree with the venue in this case. It comes off a bit pompous, to me.

I can't comment on the style as I am not a native speaker and therefore don't feel capable of judging properly how the OP comes across and what exactely he was having in mind when writing the post.

As long as it's meant respectful and helpful I welcome it. If it's just for the purpose of bashing another person, it's simply wrong.

However, sometimes it's meant to be helpful and is taken as offensive (sadly).

This is just a generalized opinion on that matter and not targeted on this thread specificly.

I can't comment on the style as I am not a native speaker and therefore don't feel capable of judging properly how the OP comes across and what exactely he was having in mind when writing the post.

As long as it's meant respectful and helpful I welcome it. If it's just for the purpose of bashing another person, it's simply wrong.

However, sometimes it's meant to be helpful and is taken as offensive (sadly).

This is just a generalized opinion on that matter and not targeted on this thread specificly.

Anytime someone corrects another person's grammer or spelling on an online game's community forum.....its with the purpose to bash them. This may be a subconscious act, but it is to bring down the other person and/or lift themselves up. An attempt at either self gratification or crying for attention. Though sometimes its just poking fun.

The truth is we are not writing papers, we are communicating using text as a medium. While correct grammer is often timese thrown out the window, it is usually unnecessary to begin with.

Edited by Warshades

Anytime some corrects another person's grammar or spelling on an online game's community forum.....its with the purpose to bash them. This may be a subconscious act, but it is to bring down the other person and/or lift themselves up. An attempt at at either self gratification or crying for attention. Though sometimes its just poking fun.

The truth is we are not writing papers, we are communicating using text as a medium. While correct grammar is often times thrown out the window, it is usually unnecessary to begin with.

I usually just fix the errors before I reply. I prefer the subtle approach ;)