I Want To Like TOR, But It Just Feels Old

Shadysketchy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really want to play World of Warcraft right now. The Panda expansion isn't really the direction I feel Blizzard should be taking the game in, and it's overall just way too casual right now.

I'm not at all a fanboy of SWTOR, but I find it quite ridiculous that on one hand, you find that WoW is too casual today (I share this opinion, and it's why I quit it some time ago), but on the other hand, half if not most of the "flaw" you point in SWTOR are precisely the ones that made WoW such a casual bore.

Make up your mind.

More like, do you even read what you're quoting

I admit after the first few exaggerated unfounded fallacies in your initial diatribe, I found that there was no logical reason to pay any more attention than was needed to reply. Ergo while I made one error, your post much like your response, is pointedly a mistake and one should not mistake the one quoted selection as the expressed existence of the rest, so while You might neglect to compose a response to the rest of my post, I can only surmise that you have indeed, ingested Fail-juice.

TLDR rub some ice on that virtual slap

I admit after the first few exaggerated unfounded fallacies in your initial diatribe, I found that there was no logical reason to pay any more attention than was needed to reply. Ergo while I made one error, your post much like your response, is pointedly a mistake and one should not mistake the one quoted selection as the expressed existence of the rest, so while You might neglect to compose a response to the rest of my post, I can only surmise that you have indeed, ingested Fail-juice.

TLDR rub some ice on that virtual slap

What's a "diatribe", and what's a "virtual slap"?

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

The following are some things that make TOR feel old:

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet) They left it out on purpose. Does anybody ever read anything?

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful. I dont get whats so awful about it personally, but thats just me. The lack of customization does suck, but I dont see the big deal...And you know as well as I do they will be beefing it up in due time

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011. I wont argue with you on this. I dont find a huge problem myself, but I do like companions but I do agree about pathing. The AI has been fine for me though. Anytime I had a healing comp out, they healed who I wanted without me even commanding them.

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting) Thats a matter of preference. I like the graphics a lot and they made sure a wide arrange of machines can play it. There is a lot of new mmo's out there that I dont see being any better and/or that still allow almost any machine to play.

- No Day/Night Cylce. I wont lie, having one would be cool. But this does not in any way ruin anything for me

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches. Never liked swimming and never liked any quests involving being under water

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not) Every MMO's launch has massive ques...lets be realistic here

- Lackluster Character Creation. I wont lie, I would like a more in depth CC like maybe APB, but its better then WoW's and it didnt leave me angry at the lack of options

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again. Yet again, personal preference. I like it the way it is..But thats just me...Not as quick as current WoW, but not as long as vanilla and original TBC

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content) It also took mutiple expansions from WoW to have all those. I like the fact that I'm playing TOR now and not 3 more years of delevopment to have the same amount. Your comparison is unfair. And I never liked Arena matches personally. If you didnt happen to have a good group composition, skill didnt mean much.

- No Macros. Stop being lazy. No one needs macros and you know it to be true. Play the game they way they intended. No need to have 3 to 5 skills linked to one button to mash repeatedly. How much lazier can you get.

- No mouseover casting. Not sure what this is honestly. I can say I wasnt aware of it if WoW had it and it doesnt effect me in the slightest.

- No addon support. I could care less about add-ons. I support playing the game as it was intended and not adding a bunch of stuff to make the game easier.

- No Dual Spec. I generally stick to one spec, but I agree, dual spec would be nice and they will add this in eventually

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build). I do agree with this. But I must say when I hit Taris, I had no problems. No sure if its been fixed since or its isolated to certain players and not everyone.

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy. I really have to disagree with you here...A lot of the objectives may be similar when it comes down to it. But how they incorporate the kill x of this as bonus quests I like A LOT. Plus the Class story, side quest story, how they incorporate story in all aspects of the questing has me loving it and NOT feeling like its a grind and makes it feel like there is real purpose for what your doing.

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game. Never noticed and I think your really nitpicking here. Yet again, making mountains out of a mole hill.

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common) Though it doesnt really bother me, I do see what your saying. Doesnt really annoying me at all and never looked at it as a problem. For some reason I assumed there would be repeated dialouge. Mountains =/= Mole hills

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today. I dont understand how that makes the game feel old. If having options in dialouge makes the game feel old, well, sorry for you. Not sure how they could do that differently...Add purple option?

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea. I am against getting mounts and other things at early levels. Lets not take all the hard work out of the game and reward people for next to no effort...There was such a great feeling of achievement when I got my first mount at level 40 in WOW...Anyone from Vanilla will agree that getting to 40 in those days was not even a 1/5th as quick as it is now a days

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs. Really dude? next...

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title. How about instead of assuming we are easily amused, we turn it around to be those with no logic and are never happy should be more realistic about any MMO launch and how most of those that experienced WOW and other launches will admit TOR was pretty damn smooth

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much). I HATE APPEARANCE TABS!!! The mod system in TOR is dope! Plain and simple and after 7 years, WOW finally put a option in when up until then it was perfectly normal to run around in 7 different non-matching pieces and colors looking like one of those "special" type of people. The mod system is better then any of that IMO

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking). I'm sure this will be in soon but whats wrong with sticking to your original decision? Can there be no permanent choices in any game at all?

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process. Please do!!!

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

ANSWERS IN RED

I am not saying you are wrong for feeling the way you do, I just think your going over board here. This game definitely doesnt feel old and as much as your sick of hearing "Every launch has issues", most of us are sick of hearing about these little insignificant complaints and/or people expecting EVERY feature a 7 year old game has, to be in a game thats not even a month old. It's nice to be playing at the end of 2011 and not 2013 just so you can add in crap like a LFG tool and etc.

But when it comes down to it...Thats just my opinion!

EDIT: And just to add on the graphics. I was just playing Fallout 3: New Vegas, and I dont find the graphics to be all that much better personally. It may just be a style you dont like but a lot of us do.

Edited by fallenvirtues

EDIT: And just to add on the graphics. I was just playing Fallout 3: New Vegas, and I dont find the graphics to be all that much better personally. It may just be a style you dont like but a lot of us do.

yeah umm..the developers have confirmed there is a bug where many people cannot get High resolution textures. So we're playing the game on low or medium textures at best. So yeah...it does look bad in comparison to what high textures should be, and i.e. in comparison to other games.

I often wonder what people would say when they suddenly learn this.

Switching from Medium Textures to High Textures results in no difference for most. So when people complain about muddy "low quality" graphics...they know what high quality graphics are supposed to look like, what high res textures are supposed to look like. And it is a bug.

I don't know if this has been said yet, as I've only gotten through 6 pages of it, but, I'm gonna let all you guys in on a little secret. SWTOR was NOT, I repeat, NOT meant to come out this soon, as the devs already knew that SWTOR did not have all the basic features that MMO's should have these days. The game was meant to come out next summer, but fans were getting itchy for the game to be released, also there was MW3, CD3, Diablo 3, GW2, and many others that were coming out soon, so the devs decided to go ahead and release a bare bones version, so to speak. So my advise to all you speed levelers, Min/Maxers, "It's not like WoW whiners", relax. Take your time, enjoy the work that was put into this game, have faith in the devs that the positive features from games like WoW will be put in as they get finished. Explore.

LoTRo had appearance tab and I loved it, right now I have a non orange gear on my level 10 alt that I just love the look of and would love to keep it until I get bored of it at least.

Modding are great idea, if it can be applied to the items you WANT and not to the ones you can apply it to.

I don't know if this has been said yet, as I've only gotten through 6 pages of it, but, I'm gonna let all you guys in on a little secret. SWTOR was NOT, I repeat, NOT meant to come out this soon, as the devs already knew that SWTOR did not have all the basic features that MMO's should have these days. The game was meant to come out next summer, but fans were getting itchy for the game to be released, also there was MW3, CD3, Diablo 3, GW2, and many others that were coming out soon, so the devs decided to go ahead and release a bare bones version, so to speak. So my advise to all you speed levelers, Min/Maxers, "It's not like WoW whiners", relax. Take your time, enjoy the work that was put into this game, have faith in the devs that the positive features from games like WoW will be put in as they get finished. Explore.

Ok, I'll just fork over 15 bucks a month and wait half a year so I can enjoy basic mmo features.

I agree with most of your points, Shadysketchy; Star Wars: the Old Republic does, in fact, feel very... old

Has the same problems less the acres of spam that Aion had. Grinding all the same and end game content is not something to strive for. However the world pvp on Aion is epic with 100 or more players slugging it out. My server has 1 poor republic dood and we are all afraid to kill him to much or he will quit. Aion would move you to attain balance of combatants.

Like it or not WOW has raised the bar and they would do well to implement something similar. Its the gathering and daily quests that you can do in 30 minutes after work as well as fast pvp with variety that make all the difference. I hope they learn because I really dont want to go back to wow or xbox live.

First of all, i'm just in awe of the things people are upset about/want in a MMO.

"- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches"

Heaven to betsy! No water deeper then six inches! The games a failure, how the hell will our characters ever take a bath!!!

All this crying about duel spec, addons, macros, and babershops is just ridiculous. The game has a story, I mean good lord, for me I would take that any day over silly little gadgets. Eventually bioware is going to coner that part of the market. The player who is interested in story and character development rather then simplified raids, mindless grinding, and a pointless world.