I Want To Like TOR, But It Just Feels Old

Shadysketchy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, basically you want WoW, with a Star Wars skin on it?

Had to kinda lol at this comment. Not to insult the poster in any way, but how true i feel this comment has been for nearly every mmo released in the last few years, yet people won't admit it.

I love reading forums when new mmos come out. I rarely post, but reading opinions from people about parts of new games I too am trying is interesting to me.

And what I've come to, imo, is that most people are bored of wow. Some say it sucks, they don't like this or that, or never played.

But I would bet a large sum of money that I don't even have that if a near perfect wow cloned, reskinned/themed into something else "like star wars" came out it was be very successful, even though most people won't admit that's what they want. Lets look at a few reasons why.

1: Combat: My biggest gripe with this game atm, and has been with other recent mmos. Wow has combat right. I'm not saying specific abilities or class balance, but the flow and "feel" is what I would call perfect. Doing warfronts in this game, I can hardly tell who is attacking me in a big group battle, what abilities they are using and targeting is completely horrible. My abilities feel like sometimes they won't go off, or timing them is another problem entirely. There is numerous posts on the pvp forums about this issue, and it is largely my only concern that I think bioware will have a problem fixing.

2: Cross server dungeon/warfront ques: A lot of people dont' like this idea, but I have to say imo its the best thing done to online games. For the casual gamer, who isn't always online when their friends can be, you can que up, see/experience/loot current content without having to time an online time with your friends and/or server population each time. That this game doesn't have those right now doesn't really bother me, yet, because it is a new game. These features can and probably will at some point be implimented.

3: Graphics: Lets face, this games graphics are nothing to admire. I would give it maybe a 5/10 due to low resolution textures, very close culling of terrain and objects. The world itself is missing ambience. Wow's graphics are very outdated, and at the time of release was nothing special itself either. I don't play an mmo for graphics, so I won't use my opinion of them against this game either.

One comment I've seen quite a bit on these forums, and other mmos released recently is that these are new games, how can you compare them to games like wow that have been around for 7+ years. My answer to that is, why can't new games build upon the success of old ones? When you go to say, buy a car. You don't get a wagon do you? With a promis that in a future upgrade they will add a steam engine to it, and then further on maybe add a gasoline engine. New games coming out should be built on the very foundation elements of success of previous games.

I know a lot of what i've said seems like i'm negative towards this game. There are a ton of things that I think need to be fixed, but I am having fun playing it, for now. My only concern that I think won't be fixed is combat. The design to me just doesn't feel right. Maybe some others like it so its just my problem only, and maybe that makes this game just not for me.

I can't see myself subbing for this game for very long, maybe 1-2 months until I reach level cap.

To all those that are having fun and don't see/agree with the complaints posted on the forums, I've in no way intended this to offend you, and I hope you continue to have fun playing.

i agree with most of what you said (minus the mount taking too long)..but i still love this game.

I can't play WoW again. The new panda talent trees for all the classes is HORRIBLE. Im not sure why someone thought that watering down standard talent trees that far was a good idea.

The following are some things that make TOR feel old:

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

I personally HATE the LFG Tool, so I don't want it added.

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful

Agreed. I hope (and think) they'll let us customize it in the near future.

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

I don't really care, as they're not even part of endgame.

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting)

I'm no graphics-fanboy, so personally the graphics doesn't concern me. 2007 seems a bit unfair though.

- No Day/Night Cylce

Does anyone even care?

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches

Does anyone even care?

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

They have queues in order to balance the server population, which is awesome.

- Lackluster Character Creation

Agreed.

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

Can't really say I care if I don't get a level every 30 minutes (as wow up till 80).

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

No comment.

- No Macros

Agreed.

- No mouseover casting

I don't prefer mouseover casting, so I don't care, personally.

- No addon support

Agreed.

- No Dual Spec

Undecieded if I prefer it or not.

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

Haven't been there, so no comment. But if true, then that sucks.

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

Are you saying wow questing is better? Rofl, lol, lmao, LAWL!

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game

Personally haven't been bothered.

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

Agreed.

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

Partly agreed.

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

You still get sprint before that, so I wasn't bothered. (Probably will be with alts though)

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

Again, ROFL.

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

Elaborate, please.

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)

Agreed.

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)

Agreed.

My take on your points.

My take on your points.

Well that was unusually rational; we obviously don't see eye to eye on everything, but thanks for actually reading the OP, and not writing off objective criticisms as WoW "fanboy"ism

Also, they fixed the Taris Memory Leaks, so you won't need to worry about that when you do get there

Well that was unusually rational; we obviously don't see eye to eye on everything, but thanks for actually reading the OP, and not writing off objective criticisms as WoW "fanboy"ism

Also, they fixed the Taris Memory Leaks, so you won't need to worry about that when you do get there

People don't call you a wow fanboi because of nothing you know? Maybe if you refrained from saying that WoW is better and that blizzard is the only company that can make a good MMO (like you did in this post for example), people wouldn't do that

People don't call you a wow fanboi because of nothing you know? Maybe if you refrained from saying that WoW is better and that blizzard is the only company that can make a good MMO (like you did in this post for example), people wouldn't do that

So, just because I like Blizzard Entertainment™, that somehow makes me a WoW "fanboy"?

I thought Starcraft was pretty gangster, way before World of Warcraft even existed; I think you need to just accept the fact that even if you don't like WoW, they've made some quality products, and know what they are doing

You keep saying "2011" like it makes such a huge impact and the fact that WoW has been around for 7 years (and was in development for years beforehand) means nothing. Guess what? It does. If ANY game took the years in development like WoW has to get where they are today, by the time it released it will just be considered "old" due to the length of time it took to make.

You can't just expect that because we're a little further in the future that it's going to take anyone a fraction of the time to do WoW has taken years and years to do. And like so many others have said there's certain things you may love about WoW (LFD, LFR, etc.) that many other people DON'T. They didn't make SWToR just for you incase you were unaware :p

Regardless of what you may think it IS unfair to compare a game that was JUST released to one that's been out for nearly a decade, regardless of the year that's currently showing on your calender. If you don't want to give the game a chance to grow, then you don't have to. I however am enjoying it, and look forward to what the future holds for it.;)

Edited by TdarKeXodus

So, just because I like Blizzard Entertainment™, that somehow makes me a WoW "fanboy"?

I thought Starcraft was pretty gangster, way before World of Warcraft even existed; I think you need to just accept the fact that even if you don't like WoW, they've made some quality products, and know what they are doing

I have nothing against WoW really, but if you don't understand what I said, there isn't really much I can do about it

I really really really....really hate swimming and water levels in MMOs, no swimming?

THANK YOU BIO!

This is the first patch for a game that lunched not but a week ago lets give it a chance and see where it goes. I'm pretty excited to see where this game goes but I don't know maybe I haven't been playing MMOs long enough to be overly jaded like some of the players here. I just don't get the grief and complaining.

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

Agreed

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful

It sure is

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

The companions are really annoying. Running over objects or getting in the damn way when trying to click on objective before the other sneaky git (Player) ignores the mobs your fighting and clicks it!

Graphics do need improving I feel

- No Day/Night Cylce

Agreed

Agreed. Seems very odd

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

Hopefully improving, but time will tell

Character creation is a joke for an MMO of this age

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

I've just done the quest to get my Lord title on the SI. What an annoying, long, boring quest. Not only were the markers not on the map for one of them and I had to use Google, you go to one point and then have to travel what seems like the entire planet to finish other parts off.

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

Agreed

- No Macros

Very odd for a game like this.

- No mouseover casting

Aye

- No addon support

Not bothered about that

- No Dual Spec

Very annoying

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

Other areas seem to have these leaks now even if Taris has been fixed

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

Agreed. Feels like Rift all over again, although Trion had less money and appear to have done a much better job making the game "stable"

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game

Agreed

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

Damn annoying

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

Agreed

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

Sprint helps at level 14/15 (?)

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

Not seen this yet

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

Rift seem to have done a good job in less time and a lot less money

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)

Not that fussed

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)

Yes, customisation is needed

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

I've added my comments to your points. I agree with most.

I would like to point out that I hate Rift. My point is that Trion seem to have made more of a stable game with more options and functions with less time and a hell of a lot less money.

Edited by Lancs

So wrong, WoW had many (not all, but many) of the features on my list, even at launch. For example, day/night cycles.

Anyway, it doesn't matter; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW, not an older build

- No LFG Tool ----- Nope

- Awful UI---- I like this game's UI

- Pet AI is horrible ----- WoW Pets are as stupid as Khem'Val, I must say

- 2007 graphics ----- I don't really care that much about graphics, and neither do a lot of people, just look at CS

- No Day/Night Cylce ------ Nope, And the only thing cool about the weather in wow was removed some time ago

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches ------- I'm not playing Star Wars: The swimming olympics, so I don't really care

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)----- 10 min queue in Hex droid, I don't really care about it, The servers with hours of queue are servers where everyone for some unknown reason went to

- Lackluster Character Creation ------ I had over 20 hairstyles for my pj, and in wow there are 6-7 hairstyles/race

I'm not really leveling fast, 1-85 in wow= 2 weeks, I've been playing since 15th and I'm still lvl 33, I'm just enjoying the game

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)-----WoW Didn't even have BGs, arenas are always the same ( Large space with 2 columns per side so you can't pvp, just run around them like you were playing hide and seek)

- No Macros Well, You got a point in this one, congrats

- No mouseover casting I don't really care, I won't lose time just targeting another dude for a second

- No addon support ---- yay! I loved wow without addons, dmg meters, and so

- No Dual Spec ----- It'd be great, but.... it wasn't in wow

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)----Don't know what's this but it seems it's fixed

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy ----- Yeah sure, in wow everything is kill x amount of Y or kill n amount of m

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game --------- Too many characters to hire a voice actor for every one of them

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common) ------- Better than not having choices, I think

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea -----There's absolutely no problem in this one, you don't really need it till you get to Alderaan (by the way, in early wow you needed a lot of time to get your first mount)

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs----Stupid complain is stupid

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title -------Don't get what are you complaining about, so I'll leave this one

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)------- the orange items let you have the skin you like, just updating the mods

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)-----No need of this one

A lot of senseless complains, if you want all that, go play wow, for it has everything you're asking for

I think if you want WoW, you should go back to playing WoW.

Your list has few to no legitimate complaints.

Unfortunately, they are legitimate complaints. Try to look at it objectively and you'll see that these are valid issues. Maybe their target audience wasn't gamers, I don't know.

Here are my major gripes.

- UI is garbage and don't even try to deny it.

- The pet is retarded.

- Graphics are all around poor.

- No macros. Maybe I'm spoiled, but doesn't EVERY game has them?

Anybody that played Rift at launch and says this game is good for launch is a liar. That being said the game does have some good aspects.

I remember when the DC forums were on fire with complaints and the players that liked the game kept screaming at anyone who voiced a complaint or negative feedback to just get out (and go back to X MMO already). That game is empty now, and every one of those people helped make it so.

It may make you feel better to insta-flame anything you disagree with (and I know it's the trendy Internet way of dealing with people now), but you're working against your own interest if you really like this game when you dismiss people or their concerns so easily. The less subscriptions, the less money BW has to make the game better for YOU or to work on the features YOU want, the less people they can employ, the less healthy the game.

TL/DR: Patience and understanding are hard; spewing at the mouth at every target is easy (and lazy). Stop wishing for less money for BioWare and stop being mean to your fellow human beings for once.

P.S. Yes, I know the people that really need to read this won't "get it."

Edited by EwokLuvr

I remember when the DC forums were on fire with complaints and the players that liked the game kept screaming at anyone who voiced a complaint or negative feedback to just get out (and go back to X MMO already). That game is empty now, and every one of those people helped make it so.

It may make you feel better to insta-flame anything you disagree with (and I know it's the trendy Internet way of dealing with people now), but you're working against your own interest if you really like this game when you dismiss people or their concerns so easily. The less subscriptions, the less money BW has to make the game better for YOU or to work on the features YOU want, the less people they can employ, the less healthy the game.

TLDR: Patience and understanding are hard; spewing at the mouth at every target is easy (and lazy). Stop wishing for less money for BioWare and stop being mean to your fellow human beings for once.

P.S. Yes, I know the people that really need to read this won't "get it."

Well-said. This game is full of features at release and is extremely impressive. A few patches and it'll be extremely hard to find fault in the game. People need to just play or not play instead of running to forums screaming about how they don't like it.

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

- No Day/Night Cylce

- No Macros

- No mouseover casting

- No addon support

- No Dual Spec

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

LFG - Is for loosers and lobby games for people who dont want a world they just want to run the exact same dungeons over and over and it I hardly ever have issues finding a group.

Agree with day night cycle.

tell we what game has a great AI, this games AI pathing is certainly better they SKyrim I guess thats a 2007 game too.

Akward gold just shows your age and that you have never had an economics class or heard the term apples and oranges

you praise the options for choices and then dismiss it I really like that. So its better if they dont give options. Huh. I disagree but then again you dont want quests and story you just want a LFG so you can stay stationary and do the same 6 dungeons over and over.

you crap on the kill quest system, will wows even worse. but KIll this Fetch this is the basis of every book, movie, story in existence. its the context there placed in that matters. but then again you just want a lobby game.

mount you get fast not sure why you want everything so sugar coated and easy and handed to you on a silver plate, is wow really that lame an easy now.