I Want To Like TOR, But It Just Feels Old

Shadysketchy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What especially bugs me is that 2011 WoW system to find groups (and raids) is more modern than TOR one. Period

Throw rocks as me as much as you want, I find this is a better system, if only because it's way more convenient and efficient.

And it's not something Bioware ''did not had time to implement'' : they deliberately not implemented it.

There's 6 dungeons, all EXTREMELY easy to access. If you're having trouble finding a group 1 day after the game is released, it's your fault, not the games. Low priority is low priority.

mad props to all you guys playing the game at launch. the FPS are way too low for me (since i can't afford new hardware.) i feel that i shouldn't have to upgrade for this game. i know you guys hear this crap all the time, but i can run skyrim very well (45 FPS average) on medium settings. ANYWAY, i'll be one of many to subscribe to this game once they fix some vital performance issues. i want to like it as well. :D

btw. specs are 2.66 c2d, 8800gt, 6gb ram. (i know don't be judgin'. bad economy yo.)

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

The following are some things that make TOR feel old:

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

Agree, though i wouldn't want Blizzards Cross-server implementation, as I agree that that destroyed server cohesion/commmunity.

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful

Agree. The lack of choices is stunning.

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

And here is where we start to disagree. You have no idea what is passable for AI on a server that is running a few hundred thousand operations per second. What is passable in a single player game would cripple and MMO in minutes. I've had no pathing errors (Kaliyo is ranged, though, though she does jump into melee range) and her attacking is fine.

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting)

Figure out why your system is bugged, then. There was a guy who used to come in during beta and debunk all of these "graphics are old" threads by posting detailed side-by-side screenshots of SWTOR and other games. SWTOR came out ahead in technical achievement in almost all cases.

The only area ill agree with you is the puzzling switch to bad textures. The Client was bigger by almost 8GB at the next-to-last stages of beta, and had hi-rez textures at all times - not just cutscenes. No idea what happened there.

You might not like the art style which was deliberately chosen to extend the longevity of the game... but that's not a problem with polycounts, geometry, and detail. The skyboxes are beautiful, by the way.

- No Day/Night Cylce

What MMO has one these days? WoW doesn't, and that seems to be your go-to MMO. Waste of resources.

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches

So you cant have your RP beach party? Im not sure why this matters.. at all.

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

Cata launch there was a 1500 person que on Bleeding Hollow (where i played, from the launch of the second stage of beta, when it was "Eastern PvP", until i just got so extremely bored of rehashed badness that i quit about three months after Cata launch) for the better part of a week. The que's hadn't entire vanished at prime-time when i quit playing, though they had diminished to 200-300. So, quite plainly, you have no idea what you're talking about.

And quite honestly, what did you expect? That somehow, 3 million people were just going to orderly file onto servers and not have any population problems? Must be nice living in fantasy land.

- Lackluster Character Creation

Compared to? WoW's is worse. AION's might be nice but the game itself is garbage, so who cares? Age of Conan? Same. Part of the reason: It's easier to draw lots of people on the screen when you only have to build them out of the same 20 resources, instea dof thousands of combinations loaded into RAM and VRAM. Given that this game is going to attract millions, it needs to be stable and playable without high end hardware.

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

The only thing that matters is the duration of time you spend leveling in toto. The fact that they want you to go rather quickly to a level where you feel good/powerful, and then taper you off, is a good thing. One thing i HATED in WoW was having to wait till level 50 to felt like i was even remotely cool.

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

I hate Huttball. Just puttin that out there. However.. content creation takes time. LOTS of time. There was NO WAY this game was going to wait for another 40 or 50 thousand man hours to be put in to bring it up to parity in Warzones with WoW - who has, after all, had SEVEN YEARS of dev time to get those done. At some point, you have to stop spending money on a project like this and start making it.. or the suits who financed you will fire you and push the game out anyway.

It's already been in public, active development for almost six years. It had to ship now. Illum is fun, at least, and aside from hutball, PvP is fun. Deal with it.

- No Macros

- No mouseover casting

- No addon support

Agree on all of that. Particularly Macros, which could eliminate my button-bloat, and Basic addon support.

- No Dual Spec

Largely not needed. A quick way to get to an instance after respecing would be good, but you dont need to dual spec for PvP, so this can only matter if someone needs to switch from DPS to Heals or Tank.

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

It actually got fixed, and then crept back in because the fixed code wasnt used for a patch. In any multi-million line of code project, this happens from time to time. The acted quickly to patch it back in when it reared its ugly head. Get over it.

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

Having played ALL of WoW's content other than Firelands and now 4.3... what are you talking about? That's EXACTLY what WoW's content is.

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game

Money, money, money. It's a lot easier to pay one guy for a few more hours of work than hire an entirely new guy. Thousands cheaper - and, quite honestly.. i've heard no repeats, or at least if i have, theyve been good enough that i didnt notice.

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

It only takes a few hours to get Sprint. I have no idea why everyone believes you need to be able to be anywhere all the time whenever you want, and how that translates into "good gameplay".

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

This is the most bug-free launch ive ever experienced, including WoW and all of its expansions and a dozen other MMOs. its pretty easy to excuse.

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)

.... use moddable gear. Problem fixed. All of my gear except my belt and wrists are fully moddable (orange) - i look EXACTLY like i want to, and will for the rest of the game.

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

I think it's clear that in a lot of cases you have no idea what you're talking about.

- We still sat around in IF back in vanilla WoW. Only difference was, we were blowing up General and Trade with LFG advertisements. LFG did nothing to destroy the community. Cross-server LFG and cross-server battlegroups did. There is a big difference that most of you like to overlook. If you want to talk about a community-killer, take a look at Biowares questionable decision to not provide realm forums. No, this will not be fixed. The devs said no.

The point still stands that you had to travel to dungeons (atleast, a few people did for summoning stones - which were added later mind you), but the main thing that this did was world pvp. I'm a huge fan of world pvp and it's dead in WoW.. you can't deny that.

- The UI is terrible and limiting. It looks and feels like a game from 2000. Even WoW launched with a better UI and their default UI is -still- pretty crappy. I already need more center-aligned bars than are currently provided for...and I'm only level 26. I'm scared of how I'm going to manage my skills at 50. UI elements that are supposed to align next to each other overlap in certain resolutions and nothing is movable. At all. This is terrible design.

Opinion.

- Pet AI is passable, not fine. I've had my companion randomly Force Leap pats while I was in combat with another group...a group I'd trained away from the pat and out of its aggro radius. This is annoying.

Pet AI being only passable is an opinion. Yes, there are some bugs here and there.

- Underwater combat? No one cares. The sense of exploration you get from being able to dive into a lake and swim down to the bottom is a BIG DEAL. Its one of the many things Bioware neglected in their environment design. Linear terrains do not belong in MMOs.

There is no sense of exploration when there is nothing awaiting you at the bottom of that lake / ocean (mainly talking about WoW here).

Having underwater areas that actually had something in them other than tons of enemies would be great :)

- Graphics...this is a user issue, not an issue with their engine. Environments look fantastic and I have no complaints except for the relative lack of facial customization which leads to a lot of 'recycled' NPCs.

Agree somewhat. I think facial customization is lacking a little, but it definitley shouldn't be a top priority.

- Arena...personally I hope they keep it out. Don't try and graft competitive PVP on to my PVE game, thanks. Don't need WoW's balancing issues.

WoW had balancing issues because they simply didn't care. They could of gone guild wars route and had different effects for pvp / pve for every skill.

Arena would be a great addition if they could do it right.

- Inflated currency issues are going to be hilarious in a year. Really.

Well, expect a change in a year :)

- Bugs...oh, the bugs. Guild and Party chat are broken for an awful lot of people, including myself. Terrain 'snapping' is broken, allowing people to fall through the world in certain zones. Force Leap on certain platform types throw you through the ground. Crew Skills have an RNG bug that allows them to be caught in an endless failure loop. Mouseover tooltips in your map and taxi map screens will 'stick' to your screen if you escape out of the map while hovering over them. There's a memory leak on Taris that makes the zone unplayable for many people (this was actually just patched last night so whatever). Also on Taris is a progression bug that keeps players locked onto the planet and unable to leave for certain classes and in certain situations. These are just a few. They are documented. Just because you don't experience them doesn't mean squat.

Bugs happen when you get an MMO as complex as SWTOR.. hell, bugs happen with every game. Most are just minor though, like you said.

- SWTOR will never surpass WoW's peak subscription level. Ever. No game ever will, this market is finally maturing into one of competition that simply doesn't allow for a juggernaut like that to exist.

That's a fairly bold statement, especially when you say it with no evidence to back any of it up.

SWTOR has the biggest launch in mmo history, and subs are projected to be around 2-4 million. The most important thing, will of course be retention.. and if they can hold on to their players , then I can easily see SWTOR surpassing the 12 million mark which WoW used to have.

Note that I said competition. Thats a big issue here. Competition is what makes a market grow, its what drives innovation and improvement. I know you don't want to believe that this game competes with WoW, but it does. And thats a good thing.

Agree, competition brings out the best in companies.. and even better things for us customers :)

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet) LFG ruined social interaction and promoted ninja'ing items

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful Yes the UI could do with more custo

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011 Havent found it a problem tbh

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting) Eh?

- No Day/Night Cylce Not all planets have a day/night cycle if they rotate on their axis like Ryloth for instance. PS Not important

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches Eer.. i can wade through very deep water thanks

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not) If you played launch of WoW you must remember the awesome 3 day queue times!

- Lackluster Character Creation Hugely beter than WoW is!

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again (the levellig curve seems alright for me, but i have never played Aion

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content) And how many arenas did WoW have when it launched eh? Do you also remember how BGs destroyed world pvp forever?

- No Macros (this i do agree with, simple macros should be in game

- No mouseover casting Also this

- No addon support A good thing generally, most addons are irritating

- No Dual Spec Usefull i guess, but i prefer to play my chars in a single minded fashion

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy WoW doesnt have more diverse quests than TOR, you prolly just havent encountered them yet.

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game Rubbish

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common) 5 times in what period? From your previous i suspect you're only about level 10 max. How many time IRL do you answer peoples questions with similar responses eh?

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today Ok...

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea Actually no it isnt, blizzard just gave in to whiny noob peer pressure and reduced the cost of mounts and the level, no-one actually wanted that, but they wanted to carebear more

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs If you have that much cash, you're not upgrading enough

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much) Appearance tab would be cool, but dont forget WoW only introduced that a few months ago themselves

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking) Agreed, i would like one

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

See above in pink!

so why the need to keep making these same threads OP was your first or second thread not good enuff for you, you thought another might get these things implimented next maintenance? get some patience.

As the OP has allready stated hes been burned in previous threads he shud have expected the same responses so im gonna go ahead and call troll.

btw the game does have flaws but the OP is just being rediculous making duplicate threads about the same issues just wording it differently

not gunna sway me with this sort of post op. this game is soooo gooood I deleted all my wow toons along with the huge amount of gold, items etc and cancelled my sub (as has my wife) and we even signed up for the yearly pass. Even if down the track swtor turns about to be the wrong choice (/facepalm myself for saying that) I wont ever go back to wow. Wow is just...... so, so once upon a time in a fantasy universe far, far away. Oh I should also mention using the term "fanboy: (from both sides) proves to me that no crediblity is to be given to this person. And mods there is obvious argument baiting on this thread please for the love of all that is the Force shut it down. (unless of course certain posts make you all ROFLYAO and helps you easily identify those who are here to cause mayhem) Thanks Bioware for (in the words of Bill and Ted) A most Excellent Adventure!!!!!!!!!!! :D.

Now time to log on and backhand Khem Val for taking the exact time it should have to do his last crew mission. (love being Sith:cool:)

The game is great already like it is. I love it already.

I can see by myself that there is something missing and something needs ti improve.

Nonetheless i enjoy it as it is. Give Bioware some time to register the flaws and to add some improvements. They already stated some more features will be implemented.

I can fully understand why and even if i'ld like to have those features implemented already, for the sake of the game i'm glad to wait not complaining.

It took them a lot of time to release this game and understandable they wanted to give us a game as most polished as possible. Not everything was polished? Well, market reasons made its release a few weeks early. What if they released it with all the improvements you are asking for? Improvements that for other games took years to get worked around? WoW, after 7 years is still struggling with features that devs say they are looking into it; and you expect that Bioware devs will implement more features that are still being worked on? Firstly they worked on the basics, to give us a game that is strong, no crashes nor disconnections at all for me yet, where WoW, Warhammer, AOC, Rift and a couple more mmorpg gave me almost constantly (not talking about glitches and bugs, even aften 7 years!!!!).

You ask and want to much from a game just released. Come back in a couple of months, maybe 3 and if nothing has changed yet, then you can start to complain with a bit of right, now just be quiet please.

And i got to add a last thing: this is STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC and not WoW nor a clone of it. Had they given us a product with all the features WoW got, then you would be here complaining tha SWTOR is a clone of WoW and that they copied everything from that game; i don't know why but that's my guess...

Yeah. I am enjoying the game and I plan on sticking around for a while, but I also can't dispute a single complaint on that list.

I want TOR to remain a strong competitor in the MMO market. I feel like, for that to happen, the first content patch is going to have to pull out all the stops.

Everything you listed has to do with WoW.

Cya later!

WoW is automagically relevant in any MMORPG discussion. I'm not being sarcastic when I say this.

Do you expect people to discuss world economics but "not obsess over" the United States, Japan and China? What good would it do to ignore the largest and most potent players?

- No LFG Tool; This would be nice, but you know being social with 3 other people and waiting for other people then us powerlvling nerds to hit 50 is gonne help.

- Awful UI; I kinda like it, but im all for making it peoples choice. it'l come don't worry. You don't have to have everything your way at launch.

- Pet AI is horrible: Hard to wait those 1,5 sec before you merc jumps inn? I found that my merc's did pretty much what i wanted them to. altho pathing was an issue at times i just adapted. didn't really find this frustarting at all. Altho im sure they will tweak it abit soon enough.

- 2007 graphics Now now, im all for graphic variety, but let's not make people inn an otherwise strugling economy not being able to join us on this great adventure.

- No Day/Night Cylce Agreed would be sweet, but i hear trolls come out at night.

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches: Really? really? you want zelda watertemple gameplay? fu.. really.

- Server queues: you know most of the ques inn wow went away cause so did the players, also queues at launch is a must to divert players just fyi. that's why they minimize the login at early stages and then expand. Then when they find the largely qued ones. they post a thread about it. So people can (2 days after launch) pick a non large server. Now i realize you like me hit 50 even before the main launch, but comon you can use another 3 days lvling somewhere else?

- Lackluster Character Creation, really? didn't find it that bad. Just no troll race.. what did you roll then?

- Absurd Leveling curve; You know when you don't power lvl, you don't even realize the progress cause your doing quests that actually make you wanne complete em, cause the story itself drives you. Much unlike when you space/1 spam your way.

- Three Warzones, How many did your precious wow have at launch? now i realize this isn't the same year as the wow launch. But then again we at least have 3, give the game time and a increased budget to evolve.

- No Macros l2p

- No mouseover casting l2p

- No addon support agreed

- No Dual Spec it'l come, you are just mad you have to spend your *gold*

- Taris memory leaks haven't suffered it myself, but im sure it's annoying and im sure they are trying to fix it asap. A slap on the hand, but hardly something that makes me faceroll considering how smooth everything else has been. Nottin like 3 days downtime with server issues and super lagg. even weeklong at times inn other games juuuust sayin

- Lack of variety in quests; roflmao. stop pushing space/1. also the bonus quest that is kinda repeating at least gives you a joy of increased xp compared to other things. And you get these tops 3-4 per planet. Il take that anyday.

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; Sure let's use more money on actors, and less money on important issues. Il survive.

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations ^

- "Choices" How is that any different from reallife? either way you look at it it results inn 1 of 3 options. do something, don't do it. Or do nothing, wich is usually as good as one of the others. Just like real life, if you know of it.

- No Mount until level 25; Exercise if guuut for you. Also somepople learn to run when they grow too around an age of 14

- Awkward gold; Credits... Credits.. don't let another system scare you.. it'l be alright.

- A vast array of technical errors : Last time i played wow. i still blinked and fell trough the ground.

- No Appearance/Gear Customization Im sure it'l come. Meanwhile take a cookie.

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization: ^

- More — MOAR

Edited by Oneirix

If this was December 2012, I could understand all of this being said with the game being out for a year at that time. This game just launched though, and they have a dedicated team which will only work on this. Honestly, I don't have any problems with this game simply because they accomplished what I wanted; KotOR turned into a MMO.

As has been said, you are comparing this game which just launched (technically) two days ago to a game that has been around for much much longer. On top of that, you are pointing out flaws which they have said they plan on working out already. This game is perfectly acceptable for a 2011 game because it still brought something new to the field and also keeps many of the things we want out of a MMO.

WoW has been established and had a lot of money to help fund everything it has added. TOR has only just begun and probably still hasn't even made it's money back that it has spent. Give it time.

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting)

- No Day/Night Cylce

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

- Lackluster Character Creation

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

- No Macros

- No mouseover casting

- No addon support

- No Dual Spec

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)

It is old. The engine they used is horrifyingly outdated without the ability for a future polish, so within a couple of years, this game will look worse than what WoW did after 7 years. A lot of pocketing on the budget...

There's a zone called "Taris" with memory leaks in WoW?

Maybe you misread "Taris" as "Tanaris", but Blizzard games don't have memory leaks

Try reading the thread, before condemning it next time

Teehee. I remember the time that the entire continent of Kalimdor went down because of a memory leak.

So you can try that one again.

Anyways, sorry you dislike the game, OP. I'm happy with the game, I think that there's some issue, but that's the issue I've been finding with a good deal of games lately; I wish that more of the content worked hard to funnel us into group content. I'm starting to get tired of solo questing. I don't even really feel interested in doing any of the Flashpoints (and I dislike that they're not located on any planets but through a blue doorway).

Also, someone said this is the second worst game since DA2. I'll remember Bioware had the abortion called Jade Empire. And DA2 isn't bad :-P.

Anywho, the game has issues, but the issue with making MMOs (any video game, but especially these AAA MMOs) is that you've got to accept that you're going to start one year, and finish years later, and technology is going to change in the meantime. Heck, the only reason WoW felt modern to me is because I was coming from Anarchy Online and DAoC. If we're being honest here, MMOs always lag behind just because of the nature of development.

I think that SW:ToR will be alright. Seems to me that a lot of folks came in expecting a magical tale of love to sweep them off their feet. Sort of like experiencing the first MMO one really enjoys and pops their cherry with. Luckily for me, that was Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds, so anything is going to trump that.

I apologize for the rambling.

TL;RD: Sorry that the OP doesn't find the game acceptable. I disagree with a lot of points. I would currently say the game is decent, but not necessarily mindblowing. It's something that I'm happy sticking with for now, though.

But to be honest with you, I'm just trying to pass the time until Guild Wars 2 comes out and I wreck people with my illusion-creating, phantasm-conjuring, portal-casting, purple-butterflies-killin'-yo-manz Mesmer.

It is old. The engine they used is horrifyingly outdated without the ability for a future polish, so within a couple of years, this game will look worse than what WoW did after 7 years. A lot of pocketing on the budget...

Funny, saw the same thing 7 years ago on the wow forum :)