The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Its kind of crazy how terrible Sentiels and Marauders are at PVE

Mikeaj

My main is sent that i have been playing since release, recently I decided to switch my level 55 commando from the healing to the DPS tree and my god its a little bit crazy how much better commandos are. I mean i understand the reasoning for giving people an incentive to play non jedi classes and i agree with it but tbh its a bit overkill:

1. Ranged > Melee

2. More effective CC

3. Far more effective area damage > Slightly better single target

4. Ability to off heal in a pinch

5. Heavy armor > medium

6. Easier resource management

I still prefer my sentiel because I want to be a jedi but i almost feel bad now when i enter a flashpoint. Its really shocking that there are still so many sents/marauders running around

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My main is sent that i have been playing since release, recently I decided to switch my level 55 commando from the healing to the DPS tree and my god its a little bit crazy how much better commandos are. I mean i understand the reasoning for giving people an incentive to play non jedi classes and i agree with it but tbh its a bit overkill:

1. Ranged > Melee

2. More effective CC

3. Far more effective area damage > Slightly better single target

4. Ability to off heal in a pinch

5. Heavy armor > medium

6. Easier resource management

I still prefer my sentiel because I want to be a jedi but i almost feel bad now when i enter a flashpoint. Its really shocking that there are still so many sents/marauders running around

only thing i disagree with is the resource management i think it's way easier on a mara or jugg over commando not saying it's hard but still got to pay more a bit more attention to a merc/commando for resource management while a merc/sent i can just hit buttons and it's easy mode

Most people say the Commando was the worst damage class from release until 2.0.

Maybe this is supposed to be funny?

They are the kings of area damage that more than makes up for the deficiency in single target imo. Mortar Volley does similar damage to master strike but to 5 targets. Plasma grenade - area damage, pulse cannon area damage, sticky grenade - area damage, explosive round small area damage, concussion charge - knock back area damage. In addition grav round reduces armor for the entire group.

Edited by Mikeaj

Most people say the Commando was the worst damage class from release until 2.0.

Maybe this is supposed to be funny?

I dunno about "most people" but my Commando shreds through PVE. Kinda like my Knight does. Only different.

If you were using Kira that is your problem because Kira is useless for Sentinels. Even the ship droid is better than Kira. Kira eats Bantha poop for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and was a full time nerf-herder before she met you. At least if you are a Sentinel. Pure DPS on Pure DPS is like putting wasabi in Sriracha. It gets stronger but is useless because they don't go together at all. T7 is good until you get Doc, who is the only companion you'll ever need really. If you are doing all this already then I have no idea what you are doing wrong.

If you were using Kira that is your problem because Kira is useless for Sentinels. Even the ship droid is better than Kira. Kira eats Bantha poop for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and was a full time nerf-herder before she met you. At least if you are a Sentinel. Pure DPS on Pure DPS is like putting wasabi in Sriracha. It gets stronger but is useless because they don't go together at all. T7 is good until you get Doc, who is the only companion you'll ever need really. If you are doing all this already then I have no idea what you are doing wrong.

I used Kira for a long time on my DPS Guardian because I thought that her damage helping me win faster was better. Then I decided one day to give doc a run. I found out that I could take out things nearly as fast but with Doc I could take on much bigger challenges.

I sliced through Makeb on my (carnage) Mara just as fast as my (sab/df) smuggler bombed through it. I solo'd heroics and took on mobs with 2 or 3 elites (I considered those even easier with the Mara, because Mara has better defenses.)

Sure, the Mara required a bit more planning in advanced for some mobs, but I don't consider that a problem at all...

Edited by KyaniteD

OP, it's you. Sents/maras are an amazingly capable PvE class. Maybe it's just not your cup of tea and you should try something else.

You should try playing a tank OP, then you'll see just how easy PvE is in this game.

Eh, healing is way harder than tanking in this game.

Edited by Caelrie

Its not that i find anything hard with sents its that in comparison they are extremely weak and inflexible.

Weak and inflexible? Really? You really don't know anything about the sentinel class then. In terms of sustained and burst DPS they are one if not the best have plenty of cool downs as well as utility. Commandos while good at single target DPS relay two much on casts. Yes they do hav their place and they are viable but sents are better its just that simple.

Its not that i find anything hard with sents its that in comparison they are extremely weak and inflexible.

Lol then you're playing the class wrong champ. Might want to change the title of your thread and take ownership of your personal struggles rather than blame the class. :rolleyes:

companion matters not, because everything dies extremely fast, including packs in H2s.

Where did this "matters not" trend come from? Was there a huge influx of Renfair people into SWTOR lately or something? You're like the 20th person I've seen use this centuries-old phrase.