Anyone else irritated by having an Ewok in SWTOR?

RisenDragon

I mean, SWTOR takes place approximately 3000 years before the destruction of the first Death Star, right? So, that's about 2900 years before Ewoks were discovered, on an optimistic scale.

Ewoks are portrayed in the movies as being very simple- stone weapons, tribal society, and lifestyle somewhat similar to tribal indians and aboriginals.

So, our society and technology has advanced astronomically in the last 3000 years. Why would an Ewok of 3000 years prior to the society that we see in Return of the Jedi look exactly the same, have the same culture and same language?

Am I the only one irritated by this lack of respect to galactic lore and natural/social evolution?

I mean, SWTOR takes place approximately 3000 years before the destruction of the first Death Star, right? So, that's about 2900 years before Ewoks were discovered, on an optimistic scale.

Ewoks are portrayed in the movies as being very simple- stone weapons, tribal society, and lifestyle somewhat similar to tribal indians and aboriginals.

So, our society and technology has advanced astronomically in the last 3000 years. Why would an Ewok of 3000 years prior to the society that we see in Return of the Jedi look exactly the same, have the same culture and same language?

Am I the only one irritated by this lack of respect to galactic lore and natural/social evolution?

Nope. Look at the Chiss. A race no one had heard of when Thrawn showed up, and now 3000 years in the past, they're well known.

So then people say, well, they were forgotten or they went and became reclusive.

Well, no reason the same couldn't be said for the Ewok. Not to mention this could just be a rare case of an Ewok.

Now, sadly, it won't feel like a rare case, as you'll see lots of people running around with an Ewok, so they'll be all over the place. You know, like females running around in slave/dancer outfits, or Chiss running around the Republic.

Basically, of all things, this is one you should get over. I get it, not the companion you'd have gone with, and from a RP standpoint outside of one's personal RP standpoint, it really will just suck, if you try to stick to lore.

I guess there might be multiple different reasons someone could be "irritated" by having Ewoks in SWTOR. Some people just hate them for being too cutesy and commercial. Others hate them for their unlikely victory over Imperial Troops. And some think they're out of place in the lore of a game that comes 3000 years before the movies.

For the first two groups, who are just offended at the existence of such a race of sentient teddy bears, there is little recourse. Obviously they don't have to get one for themselves, but they will still be forced to see other people dragging their Ewoks around with them in public. I suppose they could pretend that they're not really Ewoks, but a different race from which the Endor moon Ewoks are an offshoot. Maybe the original race colonized the forest moon, and due to some catastrophe (or broken spaceship) they lost touch with their technological roots. This may not ease their irritation, as an Ewok by any other name would smell just as sweet.

For the third group, who don't mind Ewoks but think they shouldn't be around 3000 years before they were "discovered" in ROTJ, I think it's reasonable in the SW universe to think that smugglers or other explorers might have popped in on the Endor moon Ewoks, seen potential profit in selling them as slaves or curiosities, and taken some breeding stock with them. Slavery is well-established in the SW universe.

Or make up your own story about how these little living teddy bears came to be in the game. Sure it's fanwank, but like a regular w@nk, if it makes you feel better, go for it. Making up a story could help to ease your irritation. Make it as disturbing as you want. Maybe the Ewoks were sold as sex slaves. Or maybe they are a product of Imperial genetic experimentation on Wookkies, and the bulk of them were dumped on an unused moon when they were found to be just too cute to be taken seriously. Or maybe the first Ewoks were actually Jedi Knights who were defeated by the Empire and subjected to genetic splicing, in the manner of Dr. Moreau. It would be very Sith-like to want to not only defeat their opponents, but to utterly humiliate them by turning them into care bears.

Good luck in defeating your irritation! I hope I haven't given anyone nightmares.

No.

I'm happy there will be a choice for a healer companion. Not every class has cool peeps like Mako, Talos or Elara. After I get Treek, Quinn and Doc will never leave the ship again.

Anyway, why you assume every society advances and progress at the same speed that ours (or at all ) ? Are you sure there aren't, in our world's history, no examples of ancient tribes/societies that stayed the same for thousands of years ?

I saw an article about this a few days ago,. arguing that Ewok's didn't exist yet. One person pointed out that in the book "Red Harvest" it says they were discovered and that Ewok's being brought forth in this time period is fine. I didn't believe it so I looked it up in that book, and sure enough. It's there.

Don't see anything lore-breaking or irritating about it, honestly. It is, as pointed out, a 3000 year difference. A lot can easily be lost in that time, and it's easy to fathom especially with the notion of pirates and slave traders. It's not like they're going to keep any long standing record, and no Ewok removed from their home in this time will clearly make an impact on future events -shrug-

And, I mean, really... if the bounty hunter can have a jawa that s/he picked up on HOTH sticking around, why's it hard to believe any PC can pick up another small creature not otherwise heard of as leaving their homeworld?

We need something in the game to punt besides jawas.

Ok. Aboriginal people existed on Australia for 10,000 years, and they still had what we'd think of as a fairly primitive society until English colonisation. If there are no pressures to develop technologically or change culturally, then societies tend to stick with the status quo. Only periods of great calamity (like war) cause us to develop in new ways...

More pertinently to Star Wars - between the Old Republic and the New Republic technology and society has largely remained stagnant. So Ewoks not changing in 3000 years is not really that much of a stretch.

Ok. Aboriginal people existed on Australia for 10,000 years, and they still had what we'd think of as a fairly primitive society until English colonisation. If there are no pressures to develop technologically or change culturally, then societies tend to stick with the status quo. Only periods of great calamity (like war) cause us to develop in new ways...

More pertinently to Star Wars - between the Old Republic and the New Republic technology and society has largely remained stagnant. So Ewoks not changing in 3000 years is not really that much of a stretch.

Not to mention there are still civilizations in South America that are trapped 3000 years in the past.

• 4 months later...

Pureblood Sith Jedi... Need I say more?

As an MMO many sacrifices tend to be made for the sake of entertainment. Most won't be lore friendly because if we went according to lore most MMOs would have a tough time allowing all players to pursue all their goals. For example "unique" items that players grind for, in order to make it truly unique only one player would be able to have it and then we have the problem of the game becoming unbalanced. Or the fact that Jedi and Sith should be able to easily slaughter simple smugglers and agents. Also, although smugglers and agents share a class type, a trained Imperial Agent should be more than simply superior in skill compared to the simple street-smart smugglers.

My advice: Don't take anything to heart. It's a game. Take the storyline as canon, certain story essential characters as canon to an extent, and let everything else go. As I think someone already said this ewok may be meant as a special case. Also keep in mind there should only be one Kira and especially only one Khem Val as he is a rare species in general, but if people are running around with those companions you'll see tons of Kiras and tons of Khem Vals. Such is the way of an MMO. "Unique" simply means "be proud of being one of many to have one."

Edit: Wookies also haven't changed much over the course of centuries. They built tree cities sometime during or prior to the Old Republic's existence. By the time we get to the New Republic and Post Republic, as seen by Chewbacca, the Wookies keep the same language, same culture, same lifestyle. They even maintain the same honor code as seen by life debts; as Zalbaar vowed his life to Revan so too did Chewbacca vow his life to Han Solo. Wookies and Ewoks are very similar species so it could be they simply don't feel a need or desire to change.

Edited by Auredur
Wookies.

Could have been worse; they could have make a Gungan instead

**Gives an affection gift**

"Meesa thanks youssa!"

"Meesa thanks youssa!"

"Meesa thanks youssa!"

**Headshots the annoying thing**

ahahah meesa thinking youssa not liking meesa

Kinda because they feel a bit out of place* in the current timeline.

* I know Ewoks exist, but they're supposed to be on this remote planet no one's heard of or even known about for another 3000 years or so.

But then again, we have Hoth, which also feels out of place for the same reasons.

Me, I passed on the Ewok.

* I know Ewoks exist, but they're supposed to be on this remote planet no one's heard of or even known about for another 3000 years or so.

3,000 years in a war torn massive universe where empires rise and fall during the time is more than enough time for entire planets and the like to rise, fall, and be totally forgotten about by the vast majority of people. Clearly the Ewoks weren't completely unknown as they were using a language that C3P0 understood a core component of. The idea that the language just happened to match would be like the idea that aliens land on earth and despite never having been to earth or seeing anything of culture end up speaking Jive.

Edited by StarMagus

• 4 months later...

Her backstory (which she starts telling you on your ship) actually explains it.

A smuggler ship crashed on the moon, the protocol droid aboard was able to repair the damage, and it showed her how to fly the ship - much like your own protocol droid does when you get your ship. After she left, she discovered all kinds of weapons, tactics, etc. While having 3000 of the things running around is odd, RP wise, her own backstory and reasons for being there are very well explained and apparently very well thought-out by the writers.

Edit: CRAP! Didn't read the date right, my apologies for bumping this one!

Edited by TalonNYC
typo and explaination

This game is clearly more about capturing what is iconic and memorable about Star Wars (EU included) above what makes sense if the Star Wars universe was a real place. Which is fine. It's more of a sell gamble if they just write a bunch of new races, and previous evolutions of the races we know and love. Whereas, this is more like a greatest hits of the universe which has more appeal.

The Treek Ewok companion is an embarrassment to the Empire. I detest it's presence on Fleet & elsewhere, especially in the company of Sith Lords. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a Sith Lord with an Ewok in train. It offends my Imperial aesthetics. Only thing I hate more in the game are Light Siders masquerading as Sith.. & other similar traitors to the Empire. Consider them my Pet Hates :mad:

The Treek Ewok companion is an embarrassment to the Empire. I detest it's presence on Fleet & elsewhere, especially in the company of Sith Lords. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a Sith Lord with an Ewok in train. It offends my Imperial aesthetics.

She may look a bit ridiculous but she is darker than Khem Val.