Please clean up General Chat

swtordrz

SW:TOR is one of the most enjoyable MMOs though General Chat seems like anything goes, what are the chances we can clean up General Chat?

Much of what passes for General Chat in SW:TOR would not be tolerated in most other mainstream MMOs.

Yes players can be ignored, we can report players, use profanity filters, turn off chat etc though players who use General Chat to intentionally diminish the quality of collective gaming enjoyment of others still have a negative effect on our community.

When these same players are repeatedly behaving in this manner daily, it apparently gives other players the signal to do the same since they shape the view that there are no consequences for such behaviour.

I know you may not have enough resources to have Moderators periodically monitor Chat channels, contact players about breaching rules etc though at least begin to give the impression you are interested in cleaning up General Chat for the greater good of our gaming community by warning or suspending repeat offenders.

A Customer Service response confirming this is of high interest to you followed by appropriate action would be welcomed, since quite simply, much of what passes through General Chat is the single greatest blight on this highly enjoyable game.

How do other players feel about this, especially compared with responses by other MMO providers?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNIP...

Much of what passes for General Chat in SW:TOR would not be tolerated in most other mainstream MMOs.

SNIP...

That is incorrect.

What you see in general chat for SWTOR has been in every MMO created at one point or another I think.

It was in UO, Everquest, EVE, WOW, Planetside (1and 2), LOTRO, secret world, LOL and Rift. All of which I have played to some degree.

I've even seen it in newer games like Marvel Heroes.

The chat you speak of is in every MMO, Ignore it cause it can't really be controlled.

Edited by Quraswren

I learned new terms in Madera Chat.

And Barrens Chat.

And Agartha Chat.

And Fallen Earth Help Chat.

You know what, all MMO's have terrible chats.

Agreed. Most make us here in General Discussion look like angels 0:)

Thanks for great feedback, having recently played LOTRO, using that as an example, Moderator action was typically swift and decisive for repeat offenders, players learned clearer boundaries. Also, great fun when Moderators came into chat with us, especially when giving out gifts. As for Ignore Lists, they are finite. ;)

Just to be clear, am talking about cleaning up repeat offenders, it can be controlled, have seen this controlled in other MMOs, LOTRO is a good example. These players may infringe once, perhaps twice if less serious, then suspended or banned if they did not learn from their suspension experiences. As a result, public Chat became more enjoyable, enlightening and entertaining. :)

Can we not do this here as well?

If not, why not?

Thanks for great feedback, having recently played LOTRO, using that as an example, Moderator action was typically swift and decisive for repeat offenders, players learned clearer boundaries. Also, great fun when Moderators came into chat with us, especially when giving out gifts. As for Ignore Lists, they are finite. ;)

Just to be clear, am talking about cleaning up repeat offenders, it can be controlled, have seen this controlled in other MMOs, LOTRO is a good example. These players may infringe once, perhaps twice if less serious, then suspended or banned if they did not learn from their suspension experiences. As a result, public Chat became more enjoyable, enlightening and entertaining. :)

Can we not do this here as well?

If not, why not?

Can it be done? Absolutely. Should it be done? Yes. Will Bioware invest in the people needed to execute it? I sincerely doubt it.

SW:TOR is one of the most enjoyable MMOs though General Chat seems like anything goes, what are the chances we can clean up General Chat?

Yes players can be ignored, we can report players, use profanity filters, turn off chat etc though players who use General Chat to intentionally diminish the quality of collective gaming enjoyment of others still have a negative effect on our community.

When these same players are repeatedly behaving in this manner daily, it apparently gives other players the signal to do the same since they shape the view that there are no consequences for such behaviour.

I know you may not have enough resources to have Moderators periodically monitor Chat channels, contact players about breaching rules etc though at least begin to give the impression you are interested in cleaning up General Chat for the greater good of our gaming community by warning or suspending repeat offenders.

A Customer Service response confirming this is of high interest to you followed by appropriate action would be welcomed, since quite simply, much of what passes through General Chat is the single greatest blight on this highly enjoyable game.

How do other players feel about this, especially compared with responses by other MMO providers?

Seriously, you can't clean up General Chat. Everybody has an opinion on who has the best this or that. Or it's about bacon , jawas, or doing "their mom" gungnam style. And to think the only reason why I have "general chat" on is because I can see when my bff is whispering me. Otherwise, If I could, I would ignore 99.95 % of the population for just being there. LOL. How about the devs raise the "ignore list" to 10,000?

Well, you're either playing the game or chatting. When I am playing, I could care less about what is said in chat. If I am loafing around not questing, I'll chat a bit, but can't do both so I don't see an issue. Usually it's only the first few planets anyway. Once you get above level 30 chat is mostly dead.

Well, you're either playing the game or chatting. When I am playing, I could care less about what is said in chat. If I am loafing around not questing, I'll chat a bit, but can't do both so I don't see an issue. Usually it's only the first few planets anyway. Once you get above level 30 chat is mostly dead.

^This.....

Not to mention that even on it's worst day, the language & subject matter I hear on a daily basis in tha hood makes gen chat look like a kindergarten classroom....ijs

"Orange Mound in Memphis TN"!

stop being such a goody white knights and man up

• 6 months later...
seriously? stop being such a wus

and yes i cleaned that up a little bit since you're so averse to foul language. it's the internet. grow up.

No, I agree with OP.

There is no reason or excuse to talk as trashy as people do on General Chat in Fleet.

Call me goody goody, or wuss, I don't care. This game has a T rating, not R, or X. And until they change that rating, then we have a right to say something about it. Does not mean we who oppose seeing some of that stuff are wusses. We play a game to relax, have fun, not tune into vulgar fights, explicit talk, etc...

Just because you can have a filter on doesn't mean anyone should see some of the crap people post.

Tbh, I'm not quite sure the OP was talking as much about cuss words as much as other vulgar topics.

Growing up has nothing to do with accepting perverse, foul, offending/insulting language Hariviyer. In fact it's the exact opposite. The "grown up" mature person will know that he does not have to cuss, insult, etc...to get his point across. Especially to post something just to get a rise out of someone.

And using the excuse "it's the internet" is just a complete cop out of having to be responsible for what you say or do.

Edited by CaptRogue

we need to ban the losers who are like "wow you spelled something wrong so you must be a retard forever".

PROTIP: spelling and grammar is never important in informal writing so long as the right meaning will come across. getting all up in arms about it only makes you look like a social retard

edit: while you're at it, ban all the losers who automatically say you're a troll because you dont agree with them. sorry nerds, but you're not always right and when someone tells you you're wrong, that doesn't make them a "troll"

Edited by ohpipoca