Subscriber Appreciation Details?

Kaywinnit

You never actually looked for my suggestion, did you?

A Subscriber Headset, like the ones you get for your Cunning based companions (Mako, Quinn) on Tatooine. There is no modable version in the game that I have seen. It would be kool to have one and I think pretty much anybody can find a use for a kool new head piece that doesn't cover up your character's or companion's face.

:cool:

not to be all in you're guys conversation but sorry I would take cc over a head piece I don't want any day, me personally I would take cc over anything in the cartel market, I would rather have the cc for legacy unlocks on alts and bypassing credit costs for things like extra inventory space and collections unlocks

Edited by Vis-Tecum

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to be all in you're guys conversation but sorry I would take cc over a head piece I don't want any day, me personally I would take cc over anything in the cartel market, I would rather have the cc for legacy unlocks on alts and bypassing credit costs for things like extra inventory space and collections unlocks

Well, you can't please everyone, but you can shoot for pleasing the majority.

And I'm sure the rest could find something to do with a kool modable head piece, even if they didn't think it was the bees knees.

:cool:

Or one could apply some logic.

Subscribers subscribe to do the things subscribers do, which typically has little to do with Cartel Market fluff. Therefore, if you're going to show subscribers that you appreciate them, you might put an iota of thought into it and think, gee, they're by and large subscribing to do stuff that's not Cartel Market so let's give them a gift that's... wait for it... related to what they do!

Then they give us cartel coins.

DURRRRRRR.

It's not that the gift horrible or a travesty or whatever. It's just laughable that someone at BWEA thinks they're showing appreciation for subscribers by giving a month's worth of cartel coins as a gift card.

This is not logic, it is your opinion on what constitutes......wait for it.....your personal idea of what constitutes a grift of appreciation to subscribers based on your personal game play. ;p

For me, and perhaps hundreds of thousands of other subscribers out there, this gift was perfect......and we've spent more time enjoying the fruits of that gift then we have agonizing over the perceived thought put into it as if it were a boyfriend on Valentines day. LOL

All kidding aside though, the coins were the best of all decisions as they well know that it is rare that two people in this game ever agree on "what's right". The coins grant us more freedom to apply them to a particular item that we may desire. Restricting it to your idea of a gift may not suite my in-game needs and vice versa.

I would also contend that alot more thought then people perceive had gone into this decision, but people on this board tend to proceed, more often then not, from a plethora of assumptions and logical fallacies.

There isn't one. But the choice of 1 of several "CM items" would have been a helluva lot better option I think.

Not from my perspective. That would have been a horrible idea. What if that choice of "several" items were items that absolutely do not need, have already purchased, therefore rendering the gift worthless to myself and thousands upon thousands of customers? The coin virtually eliminates that snafu that you have failed to properly think through....that mostly because you are thinking in the first person rather then as a broad based solution.

And his point wasn't that 500 CC wasn't enough, his point was that 500 CC was freaking LAZY!!! It was a thoughtless and pathetic "appreciation" gift. He's right. It took them all of maybe 30 seconds to come up with that idea. God forbid they give us a gift that they could instead sell us, like the Sarlacc pit or choice of speeders...anything would have signified more "thought" than the 500 CC.

Nothing in business, especially that which represents a marketing investment coupled with a loss of immediate revenue in the form of sales or gifting, takes 30 seconds to decide. Plenty of thought went into this, and the decision to go with coin, as we see by the extremely limited number of complaints from the player base, was the correct one.

Whether we wish to believe it or not, this gift went over extremely well. It is the standard in marketing (rebates, sales, gift cards) presented to retail customers across the board. A few very vocal individuals on the message boards, which already, in its entirety, represents a minute fraction of the player base (and typically the most finicky and troublesome), does not represent an indication of failure.

This is not logic, it is your opinion on what constitutes......wait for it.....your personal idea of what constitutes a grift of appreciation to subscribers based on your personal game play. ;p

For me, and perhaps hundreds of thousands of other subscribers out there, this gift was perfect......and we've spent more time enjoying the fruits of that gift then we have agonizing over the perceived thought put into it as if it were a boyfriend on Valentines day. LOL

All kidding aside though, the coins were the best of all decisions as they well know that it is rare that two people in this game ever agree on "what's right". The coins grant us more freedom to apply them to a particular item that we may desire. Restricting it to your idea of a gift may not suite my in-game needs and vice versa.

I would also contend that alot more thought then people perceive had gone into this decision, but people on this board tend to proceed, more often then not, from a plethora of assumptions and logical fallacies.

I would have to say this is absolutely false. Not that you didn't enjoy the gift, but rather that it was the best solution. I mean honestly, BW is making their own little universe here, and they could have done just about anything, created anything, changed the laws of physics, anything. It's almost like you could conjure up any present for someone, and you conjure up a gift certificate. Even in this context, it's pretty dull.

As for the charity thing, I don't think anyone is hating on charity, and that honestly would have been an awesome gift to allow us to donate 5 bucks to charity. But this is the kicker,it's not actually 5 bucks to BW. They create that currency, it costs them relatively nothing to give you CC's. Like the Fed, just a number in a computer. This will never happen as 500CC doesn't actually carry a 5 dollar value to BW. Instead they just inflated the amount of currency, which was probably a tiny amount as is. They didn't actually take 5 bucks out of their bank account and hand it to you. I think this is what people don't understand.

I would have to say this is absolutely false. Not that you didn't enjoy the gift, but rather that it was the best solution. I mean honestly, BW is making their own little universe here, and they could have done just about anything, created anything, changed the laws of physics, anything. It's almost like you could conjure up any present for someone, and you conjure up a gift certificate. Even in this context, it's pretty dull.

As for the charity thing, I don't think anyone is hating on charity, and that honestly would have been an awesome gift to allow us to donate 5 bucks to charity. But this is the kicker,it's not actually 5 bucks to BW. They create that currency, it costs them relatively nothing to give you CC's. Like the Fed, just a number in a computer. This will never happen as 500CC doesn't actually carry a 5 dollar value to BW. Instead they just inflated the amount of currency, which was probably a tiny amount as is. They didn't actually take 5 bucks out of their bank account and hand it to you. I think this is what people don't understand.

If it is false, then what is the solution. If you are going to argue that my contention is false, then present to us the solution that would best it. Put out a post as to what you believe the correct "gift" is and see how many agree with you. ;p

Present the well thought out gift that would even come close to satisfying as large a sampling of the player base as the option to purchase a personally desired aspect of the game. If you cannot do so, then you are merely arguing for the sake or argument based on your personal belief. Nothing wrong with that, but we are talking about satisfying a broad base of individuals with varying tastes, needs, and desires.

If it is false, then what is the solution. If you are going to argue that my contention is false, then present to us the solution that would best it. Put out a post as to what you believe the correct "gift" is and see how many agree with you. ;p

Present the well thought out gift that would even come close to satisfying as large a sampling of the player base as the option to purchase a personally desired aspect of the game. If you cannot do so, then you are merely arguing for the sake or argument based on your personal belief. Nothing wrong with that, but we are talking about satisfying a broad base of individuals with varying tastes, needs, and desires.

Adding all the Cartel Armors to the operations so subscriber have the chance to farm the armors up to revans mask in the different modes of the operations. Of course with a low percantage drop chance for rare items but hey it would be a way to actually give a additional reward to those who play the game. And most important for me it would be a way to bypass the CM completely. Noone had to pay for the armor and the only thing that is needed is investing time and effort as it should always be the alternative. Of course it would not really everybody happy as for example revans mask would only drop in S&V Nim or Asation Nim but at least we have a way to enjoy the game without the cartel market in mind.

Nothing in business, especially that which represents a marketing investment coupled with a loss of immediate revenue in the form of sales or gifting, takes 30 seconds to decide. Plenty of thought went into this, and the decision to go with coin, as we see by the extremely limited number of complaints from the player base, was the correct one.

Whether we wish to believe it or not, this gift went over extremely well. It is the standard in marketing (rebates, sales, gift cards) presented to retail customers across the board. A few very vocal individuals on the message boards, which already, in its entirety, represents a minute fraction of the player base (and typically the most finicky and troublesome), does not represent an indication of failure.

maybe i'm misreading this, but you seem to think swtor is a retail outlet, and therefore subject to the same standards as retail marketing. that's where you and i diverge on what swtor should be. i think swtor should be a game, which is what it was originally conceived as. in a game, you log in and play a game. in swtor the retail outlet, you log in and buy something off the cartel market. for you, this was an excellent gift, because it encourages the retail side of swtor you enjoy. for those of us that like games, it was not a great gift.

i'm sure ea has done lots of charities.

http://www.ea.com/news/tag/charity

if they approach them with the same forethought and vigor exercised by the staff at bioware when developing the subscriber appreciation or the various cash grabs they've developed in the past few months, i would expect great results. you could alternatively send your money to a more established, less profit focused charity like perhaps the gates foundation or the red cross or even child's play. of course i have nothing against charities, but i wouldn't trust EA handling one.

Except if I want to donate my frequent fly..., erm, cartel coins, I can't do that yet. If I'm to do that, I need BWEA to establish a way to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone has heard anything on the second part of the "appreciation" yet. Was first announced as around the beginning and the end of the month. Month is almost over so it should be soon.

This isn't about entitlement or anything, it's about them making promises and being out of touch with the community. Just curious if we get something that shows real appreciation (read effort), another set of coins or nothing at all.

Personally I'm thinking they assume that because they gave us a few coins before they think they did their thing and all is fine now, so they wouldn't need to keep their promise. Of course that wouldn't help with restoring faith and reputation.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything on the second part of the "appreciation" yet. Was first announced as around the beginning and the end of the month. Month is almost over so it should be soon.

This isn't about entitlement or anything, it's about them making promises and being out of touch with the community. Just curious if we get something that shows real appreciation (read effort), another set of coins or nothing at all.

Personally I'm thinking they assume that because they gave us a few coins before they think they did their thing and all is fine now, so they wouldn't need to keep their promise. Of course that wouldn't help with restoring faith and reputation.

Agreed, but I don't think they're ignoring the second one at the end of the month. I think there's a bit more planning that goes into their decisions than perhaps people realize. I'm perfectly content with the game right now, but hey if they want to buff my experience, go for it. It is for that reason that I don't find myself caring so much about getting what they have to give at the end of the month, but rather finding out what it is at all.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything on the second part of the "appreciation" yet. Was first announced as around the beginning and the end of the month. Month is almost over so it should be soon

Key being that it's still four days until the end of the month. And if you're already putting "appreciation" in air quotes to indicate that it's so-called "appreciation, why do you even care?

Good questions! The title will cost 10 CC and the title will unlock per character. There is also a collections unlock associated with it which will cost 5 CC. Also for those who 10 CC is "too rich for my blood" the item, like all CM items, will be tradeable so you will likely see some popping up on your local GTN.

-eric

So it turned out to be non-tradeable (which is fine) and no collections unlock. I had to spend 10 CC on each of my characters, as the title item in inventory doesn't unlock anything in collections - neither does using it. Not a huge deal, but still I heard some other people actually got collections unlock for it.

So it turned out to be non-tradeable

What are you talking about?

(which is fine) and no collections unlock. I had to spend 10 CC on each of my characters, as the title item in inventory doesn't unlock anything in collections - neither does using it. Not a huge deal, but still I heard some other people actually got collections unlock for it.

Yes, if it didn't work correctly for you and you decide to "fix" it by spending 10 CC for each character rather than contacting support, that was your decision. So not sure what your point is.

So it turned out to be non-tradeable (which is fine) and no collections unlock. I had to spend 10 CC on each of my characters, as the title item in inventory doesn't unlock anything in collections - neither does using it. Not a huge deal, but still I heard some other people actually got collections unlock for it.

You can trade them. You just have to wait for the initial bind period to wear off. Also, I believe it's been in the collections from the beginning; it was just bugged and mislabeled when it first came out.

I think I know what the "appreciation" will be... *deep long sigh*

There's a new reputation in the legacy called "Bounty Supply Company" which has a weekly cap of 36000 like the other cartel pack, in the description it also says it's from a pack.

So around the end of the month they probably add the first pack of shipment 3 with nice legacy stuff (for subs, among others) in a new vendor that requires you to... you guessed it.... buy more packs!

We'll be lucky if they offer us a pack or a few more coins to buy one with.

Agreed, but I don't think they're ignoring the second one at the end of the month. I think there's a bit more planning that goes into their decisions than perhaps people realize. I'm perfectly content with the game right now, but hey if they want to buff my experience, go for it. It is for that reason that I don't find myself caring so much about getting what they have to give at the end of the month, but rather finding out what it is at all.

I think maybe they learned their lesson from the reaction to the first "appreciation" gift this month and have wisely decided to stop hyping a "gift" that will be nothing more than additional cartel coins.

Yes, it's a gift and gifts are always lovely and wonderful and all that, but it's not worthy of hype.

Edited by DarthTHC

I think maybe they learned their lesson from the reaction to the first "appreciation" gift this month and have wisely decided to stop hyping a "gift" that will be nothing more than additional cartel coins.

Yes, it's a gift and gifts are always lovely and wonderful and all that, but it's not worthy of hype.

Heh...and when the second gift drops without fanfare and warning...people will be complaining about that too.

"Bioware! Why you no tell us about this in advance!?"

The only lesson to be learned is that for every situation, there are players queued up ready to complain about it. :D

That said.. I advocate for telling us nothing about appreciation gifts in advance. It will at least narrow down the demographics of complaining a bit. Inb4 someone complains about my position on this :D

Edited by Andryah

The month has passed and we didn't get the "second part", it just tells me personally that they really did have something else in mind and one of two things happened.

1. It was shot down from above and something had to be thought up that wouldn't be shot down.
  2. It was delayed and delayed to the point where a CC gift was the only thing they had time for.

Way too over-hyped to have it end like this, is BW's reputation lower than EA's yet?

That said.. I advocate for telling us nothing about appreciation gifts in advance. It will at least narrow down the demographics of complaining a bit. Inb4 someone complains about my position on this :D

Yup, mentioned that before and got some flame-y responses I think, but not feeling like looking it up. If they hadn't told us it would come there would also be much less people responding negatively to people saying the 500 CC was great.

Telling us this long in advance that we would get a 2 part appreciation and then giving us a one time gift certificate for 500 CC is an insult or a bribe at best (have some CC and shut up).

The month has passed and we didn't get the "second part", it just tells me personally that they really did have something else in mind and one of two things happened.

2. It was delayed and delayed to the point where a CC gift was the only thing they had time for.

But we didn't get another CC gift...

I meant the initial CC "gift", the fact that we didn't even get a second just shows they really don't seem to care about their own reputation.

A Dev posted in another thread and said that they had something planned, but that technical issues caused it not to happen. Who knows what it was, but they did have something else planned besides extra CCs.

A Dev posted in another thread and said that they had something planned, but that technical issues caused it not to happen. Who knows what it was, but they did have something else planned besides extra CCs.

In that case I assume it's "Plus, Subscribers will have a limited-time opportunity to save 50% on their first in-game purchase of Cartel Coins!" from: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130806-1

BUT I REALLY HOPE NOT, AND THAT IT"S COMPLETELY UNRELATED! *shakes head*

Especially cause I doubt all payment methods will be supported.

Edited by Lyshar