Dual Spec. Still want it.

Warb_Null

is storing some of the data client side rather than server side feasible? I know that UI presets are saved both on our harddrives and in game, so there's definitely mechanic in place already for saving presets and keeping copies on a player harddrive (and that's how people can share their UI with each other).

if i remember correctly - the issue with quest log was that it would send requests to the server every time you switched local maps, so I can see why it would cause lag. however - presets don't have to constantly be checked with the server, only when they are being switched.

and to be honest, I wouldn't even call it a dual spec. why limit ourselves to two? I have something like 10 UI presets (in part because SO and I prefer different setups and after we switched computers to play a few times, it now registers presets from both our accounts). I'm not seeing why spec presets should be limited to 2 either, unless limitations are necessary for technical reasons.

P.S. my luck with people waiting for me to switch was mixed. sometimes people wait. other times, its like they are not even looking at their chat and just sprint into action. and then there was a time when I joined a group for gree dailies, and normally I run that character as a tank, but they were looking for dps, so I literally had to change little by little between pulls (which wasn't much time at all - and yes they knew that I was normally a tank and would have to switch). so one click switch would be extremely helpful IMO.

Edited by Jeweledleah

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual Spec *is* partially functional in-game by using field respec.

The downsides to field-respec -- and what people are asking for as a QoL improvement:

• Save actionbars
  • Save separate UI Layouts, and auto-swap
  • Save talent allocation

I see no reason not to have this. Sure it shouldn't be priority -- but it is also a very minor QoL addition that would make many people happy.

This sums up my own feelings/wishes very well. I would very much like to have this kind of save/load functionality for respecs!

IMO, part of the problem in some of the discussion posts I've seen is simply the use of the 'dual spec' terminology. I don't think most people here are really opposed to this save/load a template concept (though a few are) but are thinking more of people asking for a more limited system than we already have. I want the convenience/ease of use of the dual-spec load/save with our current respec system. It's only logical to take what's already implemented and build on it.

Is storing some of the data client side rather than server side feasible? I know that UI presets are saved both on our harddrives and in game, so there's definitely mechanic in place already for saving presets and keeping copies on a player harddrive (and that's how people can share their UI with each other).

Was possible at one time. I know Anarchy Online saved preferences/keybinds, UI position, and hotbar setting client side. I remember if I ever had to reinstall or log in from a friends house, unless I had the preferences text file, my UI and hotbars were a mess. Not sure if it's feasible these days, but it could be worth looking into to.

Aurozia: Will there be a dual specialization system in the future? Will there be a possibility of changing advance classes as well?

Daniel Erickson: We have no plans for switching advanced classes - which we see as fundamentally different class designs- but dual spec is in the works and coming soon.

Reference:

Community Q&A: Feb 10th 2012

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-feb-10th-2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kiper: My question is are you still considering some sort of dual talent option, and if so is there an ETA?

Austin: This is definitely a feature we hope to provide in the future, but we don't have any details to share at this time (including an ETA).

Reference:

Community Q&A: Jun 29th 2012

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-june-29th-2012#e

It's been almost a year. It would be nice to have some word or update. It's obviously a feature they want to implement. Maybe we'll get it with a new expansion... or something. Makes me wonder if they are looking in on the thread.

Well, This is something they could store client side if database space is an issue. It all depends on how it is saved currently.

I don't think it would be difficult to store it client-side.

I mean -- we can currently create and save as many UIs as we want -- and these are all stored locally on your machine and loaded in by your own computer.

I don't think it would be difficult to store it client-side.

I mean -- we can currently create and save as many UIs as we want -- and these are all stored locally on your machine and loaded in by your own computer.

I believe, if I am not mistaken that is exactly the case. I saved an account specific file connected to SWTOR. When I did a backup/reinstall all of my setups were gone....when I restored the file they returned.

So it could be said this information is stored client side.

I agree this option is soooo needed. I don't think I have talked to one person in-game that doesn't think this feature wouldn't be a huge benefit. I would even go as far as to say I would pay cartel coins to have this feature as long as when I pay for it the feature it is unlocked for the entire account and not just one character. Maybe make it a Legacy unlock that you can pay for with credits, cartel coins or for those of us that have been playing forever and have a really hi Legacy level get it for free!

• 3 weeks later...
I agree this option is soooo needed. I don't think I have talked to one person in-game that doesn't think this feature wouldn't be a huge benefit. I would even go as far as to say I would pay cartel coins to have this feature as long as when I pay for it the feature it is unlocked for the entire account and not just one character. Maybe make it a Legacy unlock that you can pay for with credits, cartel coins or for those of us that have been playing forever and have a really hi Legacy level get it for free!

Hopefully this is something that is still on their agenda.

I don't want dual spec because I can change specs any time and anywhere on the fly without paying anything other than my unlock. I had dual spec in wow - I would have it to have field spec any day, it would have saved me thousands of gold and returning the the trainer 3 times a week because I actually needed to use 3 specs every week.

What I do want is the ability to save multiple UI settings and buttons exactly as I want them.

I don't get why people keep asking for dual spec when they should just be asking for a button saving function. :p

Agreed with this; give us like 3-4 saved sets of buttons; quickly respecing isnt the issue its the UI setup

I don't want dual spec because I can change specs any time and anywhere on the fly without paying anything other than my unlock. I had dual spec in wow - I would have it to have field spec any day, it would have saved me thousands of gold and returning the the trainer 3 times a week because I actually needed to use 3 specs every week.

What I do want is the ability to save multiple UI settings and buttons exactly as I want them.

I don't get why people keep asking for dual spec when they should just be asking for a button saving function. :p

Oh, yes...this exactly. Thank-you for stating the obvious (sincere). I share your thoughts.

tbh, how hard it is to put in dual spec?

i mean, can they just change the number of tree points we get per level from one to two?

boom, there we got dual spec. :confused:

They have Field respec. If they just took that, and added a gear manager and tree saver they'd be done with it. We just want something that saves the gear and the tree settings when we use the field respec. They just need to copy the Dual Spec from WoW and call it a day :D

They have Field respec. If they just took that, and added a gear manager and tree saver they'd be done with it. We just want something that saves the gear and the tree settings when we use the field respec. They just need to copy the Dual Spec from WoW and call it a day :D

no.

if they copy dual spec from WoW - that means no field respec. just 2 presets and anything else, has to go to the trainer.

I like field respec. I like being able to experiment and redo without having to go to the fleet or Capital. I like its flexibility.

save presets and bars and gear sets? yes please. copy from WoW? why take a step back?

or in other words? this

Edited by Jeweledleah

no. if they copy dual spec from WoW - that means no field respec. just 2 presets and anything else, has to go to the trainer. I like field respec. I like being able to experiment and redo without having to go to the fleet or Capital. I like its flexibility.

Not sure that the majority of the players is held by hardcore experimentalists. It's cute that a handful of people want field respec, but I would bet a month's pay that an ingame vote, where players go (not just us vocal minority on the forums) would reveal 80%+ would want dual spec with the gear manager and the saved UI. Only really need two specs anyway (in most cases), one for PvE and one for PvP or two for each. I'd rather see a functional system that everyone could use be introduced rather than maintaining a system used by a smaller percentage of the playerbase.

Not sure that the majority of the players is held by hardcore experimentalists. It's cute that a handful of people want field respec, but I would bet a month's pay that an ingame vote, where players go (not just us vocal minority on the forums) would reveal 80%+ would want dual spec with the gear manager and the saved UI. Only really need two specs anyway (in most cases), one for PvE and one for PvP or two for each. I'd rather see a functional system that everyone could use be introduced rather than maintaining a system used by a smaller percentage of the playerbase.

I disagree on only having 2; 2 sucks.

I need atleast 3; PVE DPS, PVE Tank/Heal (depending on the class) PVP

I would love 4, PVE DPS, PVE Tank/Heak, PVP DPS PVP Tank/Heal

THAT Being said! I rarely do more than 2 in this game because changing the ui is a big pain; I am just saying it doesn't have to be Dual spec; howabout Field Respec with the option of having N saved configurations with buttons and talents already setup. N is arbitrary but must be >2

I agree with this other than the fact that 3 would be nice instead of just 2. I'd like to have a DPS spec, a PvP spec, and a heal/tank spec (character dependent).

But 2 would be better than nothing.

I agree with this other than the fact that 3 would be nice instead of just 2. I'd like to have a DPS spec, a PvP spec, and a heal/tank spec (character dependent).

But 2 would be better than nothing.

Figured I would start with Dual spec. WoW's had it for YEARS now and still has not implemented a Tri-spec or Quad-Spec. Would love to see SWTOR at least "catch up" to Dual spec.

Edited by Superman_AZ

again - no. why take a step backwards and limit people exactly?

as much as i would absolutely adore having presets saved and being able to switch gear and skill bars with one click of a button, I'd rather never have those then give up my current flexibility.

add features. don't remove existing functionality.

and no, plenty of people need more than 2 specs, especially on classes that can play 2 different roles.

save presets? yes. remove ability to completely modify your spec we have right now? No. HELL no.

SWTOR going down to just 2 presets will NOT be catching up to WoW, it will be taking a step back.

Edited by Jeweledleah

Figured I would start with Dual spec. WoW's had it for YEARS now and still has not implemented a Tri-spec or Quad-Spec. Would love to see SWTOR at least "catch up" to Dual spec.

Or rather than waiting to copy WoW they could beat them to it. The game needs more innovations that other games don't have to bring people in or back.

Or rather than waiting to copy WoW they could beat them to it. The game needs more innovations that other games don't have to bring people in or back.

That would be awesome if the made a Tri-spec with saved UI configurations. Sad part is, they can't even make my trooper jump without a gun in his hand, like he has a gun in his hand lol.