Chain Stunning = No fun in PVP

Achyuta

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, so I'll add another thread. Something should be done about chain stunning. While I love the challenges that PVP brings, I just don't feel it's a fun experience being chained stunned. Sure, I have one cc breaker, but that's a cool down of a 90 secs and it only breaks one. It's also not fun that 2 stealthers can tag team you while you are guard, chain stunning, so they can capture the node or plant the bomb. I feel that this resolve bar that Bioware came up with along with chain stunning is holding back the true potential of what PVP can be in this game.

My solution? Simple. Just like having an interrupt, every profession should have a certain amount of time to be immune to stuns, after being stunned, for a few seconds. Being stunned constantly until you either die, or it breaks, is not fun and is a huge negative impact on PVP. PVP is supposed to be fun and challenging, and this is neither.

/rant

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, so I'll add another thread. Something should be done about chain stunning. While I love the challenges that PVP brings, I just don't feel it's a fun experience being chained stunned. Sure, I have one cc breaker, but that's a cool down of a 90 secs and it only breaks one. It's also not fun that 2 stealthers can tag team you while you are guard, chain stunning, so they can capture the node or plant the bomb. I feel that this resolve bar that Bioware came up with along with chain stunning is holding back the true potential of what PVP can be in this game.

My solution? Simple. Just like having an interrupt, every profession should have a certain amount of time to be immune to stuns, after being stunned, for a few seconds. Being stunned constantly until you either die, or it breaks, is not fun and is a huge negative impact on PVP. PVP is supposed to be fun and challenging, and this is neither.

/rant

Stun locking is a huge mechanic for some classes. Out side of the stun, they are weak.

/rant

How long of a time though... Too short, low people will miss it, too long and haters will rage (wait... They will anyway) :D

How long of a time though... Too short, low people will miss it, too long and haters will rage (wait... They will anyway) :D

Well, when you interrupt, they can't use that ability again for 4 secs. I think that would be the max amount of time allowed.

BW has never truly given a flying [d]uck about if your PvP matches are turned into a spectator sport through perpetual stun lock followed by expectantly staring at a rez door timer, rinse, repeat. As a design choice, it allowed them to make *extremely* small WZ maps since you're under the effects of some CC or another 98% of the time you're fighting. (Well, that's not counting the .25-3.5 seconds you might be un-CC'd running back to the fight once you're out of the rez area. :rolleyes: Edited by BoushhDC

/rant

Well, you are correct in that being chain stunned stinks. I've noticed it happens quite a bit more often against organised teams as well. At the end of the day though stunning is a big part of PvP, and not knowing how to deal with it is very punishing. I have been away for quite some time but in the two WZ matches I've played since returning I have seen that resolve still exists, understanding resolve and how to use it is imperative, if you don't use it correctly it will never be of any use to you. Using your CC breaker without full resolve is often a mistake, one you will often pay for with your life while standing helplessly as your enemy drops you effortlessly. There are some rare cases where it's worth breaking withthout full resolve (I.e. your in a 4 second stun while an enemy is 3 seconds from taking an objective) but even then it's a risk, albeit a necessary one.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that the classes that are more dependent on stuns have more than one, and that they will put a quick 4 second stun on you so you use your CC breaker at which point they hit you with the 8 second stun, this equals a guaranteed death or lost objective. The other option is to eat the 4 second stun and use your CC breaker on the next, which (used to) then fill your resolve, now you have 8~10 seconds of immunity.

Now, I know, it's not perfect, and yeah, you can get creamed in that 4 seconds, or have used the CC break earlier and get stunned anyway, but let's face it, we're playing in a PvP environment. The one guarantee PvP give is that 8 people will lose, eventually you'll be one of them. People have been saying what you've been saying since launch, hell some people called it "Stun Wars: The Old Republic" for a while. This is one of the mechanics that appears to be here to stay, it's time to start learning how to adapt, not time to try and have it changed.

i'd rather see resolve adjusted

i.e. the player is immune to the stuns until his resolve bar fills. At which point, he is then vulnerable for ~ the time of immunity currently

roots and slows would be independent of this

and stealth openers would be changed to 4s stuns, because their function would be to make the target vulnerable after 1 additional stun.

i get that this would have other issues to work out, but i think it'd be cool to see the implementation, and it should decrease the amount of stuns going around while maintaining lock-down ability via focus/multiple stuns

Well, you are correct in that being chain stunned stinks. I've noticed it happens quite a bit more often against organised teams as well. At the end of the day though stunning is a big part of PvP, and not knowing how to deal with it is very punishing. I have been away for quite some time but in the two WZ matches I've played since returning I have seen that resolve still exists, understanding resolve and how to use it is imperative, if you don't use it correctly it will never be of any use to you. Using your CC breaker without full resolve is often a mistake, one you will often pay for with your life while standing helplessly as your enemy drops you effortlessly. There are some rare cases where it's worth breaking withthout full resolve (I.e. your in a 4 second stun while an enemy is 3 seconds from taking an objective) but even then it's a risk, albeit a necessary one.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that the classes that are more dependent on stuns have more than one, and that they will put a quick 4 second stun on you so you use your CC breaker at which point they hit you with the 8 second stun, this equals a guaranteed death or lost objective. The other option is to eat the 4 second stun and use your CC breaker on the next, which (used to) then fill your resolve, now you have 8~10 seconds of immunity.

Now, I know, it's not perfect, and yeah, you can get creamed in that 4 seconds, or have used the CC break earlier and get stunned anyway, but let's face it, we're playing in a PvP environment. The one guarantee PvP give is that 8 people will lose, eventually you'll be one of them. People have been saying what you've been saying since launch, hell some people called it "Stun Wars: The Old Republic" for a while. This is one of the mechanics that appears to be here to stay, it's time to start learning how to adapt, not time to try and have it changed.

there are no 8 second hard stuns, all of the 4s+ ones break on damage... so it wouldn't equal instant death, but the capping bit might be true (depending on the wz)

having said that, i believe there are better systems out there, so trying to get it changed would still be on the table - though adapting in the meantime is a necessity

do you know how you get chain stunned?

by trying to hero-mode into groups of multiple enemies without the support of any teammates.

if you dont like being chain stunned, dont but yourself in a position to be chain stunned.

So "don't ever get stuck guarding," is what I'm reading between the lines. :p

Oh, and don't ever play Huttball, either. (CC-Fest, thar) lol :D

Edited by BoushhDC

So "don't ever get stuck guarding," is what I'm reading between the lines. :p

Oh, and don't ever play Huttball, either. (CC-Fest, thar) lol :D

A good guard is calling incoming long before arrival, and chain stuns won't matter.

Of course, there's always scenarios where 2-3 stealthers drop on you at once. I get that. It's fairly unusual though.

A good guard is calling incoming long before arrival, and chain stuns won't matter.

Of course, there's always scenarios where 2-3 stealthers drop on you at once. I get that. It's fairly unusual though.

Neither scenario has any sustenance.

Contrary to popular belief, everywhere should be aware where the other team is at. If you're at Novare Coast and you have one guy guarding a node and seven guys at south. If you only see 5 enemies at south you should immediately be concerned with the safety of your off node and not depend on your 'node guard' to call it out. All the blame goes to the 'node guard' that neglects to call stuff out in time but it is truly the masses who are overloaded at another part of the map who are to blame.

2 or 3 stealthers coming out? Still a scenario in which someone is outnumbered.

2 marauders versus this bad OP, he'll complain about being ravaged and force choked x2.

Learn to play issues.

/rant

I dont know it has some fun too it. Marauder/Sentinel Leaps to me breaks my bubble gets blinded. reapply bubble marauder/sentinel breaks bubble again. Then I give him a very well deserved Force stun. I mean what can be more fun then that.

Rellik

Edited by rlamela

I just started PvP and it was nightmare till I learned to just be aware of the scenario and r resolve. Its one of those things you ask around to find out what you need to pick up on and practice it as you play. Big thing though is don't bite off more than you can chew with a Rambo or a battle you could've and should have avoided.

Key points no Rambo and watch the resolve bar

Best of luck

Neither scenario has any sustenance.

Contrary to popular belief, everywhere should be aware where the other team is at. If you're at Novare Coast and you have one guy guarding a node and seven guys at south. If you only see 5 enemies at south you should immediately be concerned with the safety of your off node and not depend on your 'node guard' to call it out. All the blame goes to the 'node guard' that neglects to call stuff out in time but it is truly the masses who are overloaded at another part of the map who are to blame.

2 or 3 stealthers coming out? Still a scenario in which someone is outnumbered.

2 marauders versus this bad OP, he'll complain about being ravaged and force choked x2.

Learn to play issues.

OK, yeah if you're blaming the others at the active node, yeah I agree. How many times do you see 4 guys finishing off 1 or 2 and then they wonder why their node gets jacked because they cant get to the other one in time. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

OK, yeah if you're blaming the others at the active node, yeah I agree. How many times do you see 4 guys finishing off 1 or 2 and then they wonder why their node gets jacked because they cant get to the other one in time. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Yeah, exactly.

We understand each other on just about everything, ha.

Edited by Polymerize

/rant

What you are saying is taking something out of context and using it as a reason to dislike/ rant about pvp.

If you are guarding a node and you are being chain stunned by two operatives..... their team is missing these two somewhere else.

If you are jumping into a big crowd of people, being stunned and killed.... take the stun away and you are killed just the same.

Using stunbreaker on the first stun is a beginners fault and should almost never be applied in PvP.

That's assuming that any of the team comes. Unfortunately I've been in a couple matches of note recently where I called for help (repeatedly in one case) and no reinforcements ever came. One of those was made particularly special because at the end one person had the nerve to tell me "you were the one that lost snow" and that was the one with multiple calls where an assassin tank and op healer duo whittled me down, so there was plenty of time for at least one person to come as backup. Oh, the glorious stuns and knockdowns in that one! The other was 1st door Voidstar w/ 2 popping out of stealth, reinforced right away by 2 more. I got the call off, but was stun-locked and dead before I hit the ground because I had been still recharging from the previous assault.

It may be rare for you, but in my experience, when anyone is guarding they are *mostly* going to be attacked by stealthers, and stun locking is their M.O.

Edited by BoushhDC

/rant

Just like most who complain about cc, everything in your post revolves around just you in a team game. Present an arguement around class balance and warzone objectives and we'll talk. QQing about getting sent to spawn has no bearing on anything.