Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

That's the end for me

Cerdo_hormiguero

(Just writing this because I'm probably representative of other PvPers)

I unsubbed yesterday. I rejoined SWTOR just prior to the xpac. And I'm leaving because fixes and improvements to PvP occur at a glacial pace -- if ever. I expect a game to dedicate at least 30% of it's resources to the PvP game, and I am now convinced that Bioware will never dedicate more than 5%.

I previously played from launch until 6 months afterwards. I (and my 15-man guild) left because Bioware kept saying that RWZs were being released the next week, but would then cancel the implementation. We finally gave up and left. Only 2 of us returned to try RotHC, the rest said they did not believe Bioware cared about PvP.

I happily blew $40 on CC just to mess around with them. My PvP friend who returned with me also happily bought CC. I say this to highlight that PvPers are good customers.

You and many, many others.

It's only going to get worse too with multiple highly anticipated MMOs on the horizon (TESO, Wildstar, EQNext).

By this time next year, this place will be a ghost town.

What a shame.

Edited by jibboo

It's only going to get worse too with multiple highly anticipated MMOs on the horizon (TESO, Wildstar, EQNext).

What a shame.

Don't forget The Repopulation, for those of us that came from SWG and on the hunt for sandbox ;)

What a shame.

The only thing that gets me is that BW does not listen to the community. since patch 1.4 everyone has been up in arms about the ultra ultra ultra excessive CC in this game. CC should be about getting away or capping a node. not to be tossed around like candy on halloween.

The only thing that gets me is that BW does not listen to the community. since patch 1.4 everyone has been up in arms about the ultra ultra ultra excessive CC in this game. CC should be about getting away or capping a node. not to be tossed around like candy on halloween.

There is a reason they called it huttball... One of the devs had just played some pinball and though 'Let's make a warzone where you'll get knocked off bridges all the time'.

I personally believe this way: there are three kinds of MMOs, those that focus on PvE, those that focus on PvP, and those that give the best of both worlds.

World of Warcraft is really a PvE game, the PvP has never really been balanced and those who still play really only play the PvE.

Warhammer was a PvP game. Phenomenal PvP but absolutely terrible PvE.

Rift had the best of both worlds. PvE was enjoyable, PvP was great, and when imbalances occurred, the devs were quick to fix them.

If a team is going to release a game, they should announce ahead of time what they favor, be it PvP, PvE, or both. This game seems to highly favor PvE, but BioWare doesn't seem to ever want to admit that openly.

Bye, you do NOT represent me. I am a PvPer, solely no PvE what so ever. You left after 6 months? You are part of the problem, not the solution. If fair weather players like your self didn't leave after 6 months and actually stayed to see something through, then maybe there would be more subs and more money dedicated to PvP devs and bringing you what you want faster. But no, you leave and as well as many others, take your money with you and then get mad that they don't push out content faster.

Your that same person that is mad because there is traffic on the freeway, but also votes NO when it comes to take more taxes out to pay for road construction. You sir are a hypocrite, good bye and good riddance.

TBH; I really don't mind the CC so much; but I would at least like to have different views when CCed. PvP lacks content.

I would hazard to guess that a lot of people who are still having fun, do other things more than PvP. Obviously there will be some exceptions.

I walked in on my son playing the other day and there he was with a low level toon and he was roleplaying. I kind of chuckled at him and said "You got even another toon started again?" He said "No. Had him a while, I'm just roleplaying with some guildies." I smurked and said "I don't do any of that. Generally I just level up and PvP." Thats when he said "PvP gets boring after a while, though." I was taken back in how right he was. I felt like Clark Griswald and said "Good talk, son. Good talk."

Edited by TechTheHic

Bye, you do NOT represent me. I am a PvPer, solely no PvE what so ever. You left after 6 months? You are part of the problem, not the solution. If fair weather players like your self didn't leave after 6 months and actually stayed to see something through, then maybe there would be more subs and more money dedicated to PvP devs and bringing you what you want faster. But no, you leave and as well as many others, take your money with you and then get mad that they don't push out content faster.

Your that same person that is mad because there is traffic on the freeway, but also votes NO when it comes to take more taxes out to pay for road construction. You sir are a hypocrite, good bye and good riddance.

You do realize you're the minority here when it comes to this type of mentality? I hit the unsub button a little more than a month ago. Waiting for my sub to end and go to greener pastures...

:(

TBH; I really don't mind the CC so much; but I would at least like to have different views when CCed. PvP lacks content.

I would hazard to guess that a lot of people who are still having fun, do other things more than PvP. Obviously there will be some exceptions.

I walked in on my son playing the other day and there he was with a low level toon and he was roleplaying. I kind of chuckled at him and said "You got even another toon started again?" He said "No. Had him a while, I'm just roleplaying with some guildies." I smurked and said "I don't do any of that. Generally I just level up and PvP." Thats when he said "PvP gets boring after a while, though." I was taken back in how right he was. I felt like Clark Griswald and said "Good talk, son. Good talk."

I loved your story, bro!

+1 for you :D

Edited by MrJurgens

Some people can't stand watching 5 colors of paint dry....:rolleyes:

Look at how many Cartel Packs have been introduced in this game in the roughly 6 months its been out. Warzones are infinitely easier to design than Operations. All they've done in 1.5 years for the PvPer is ruin Open world PvP and screw up 2.0 PvP with Bolster (@lvl 55 anyways), and the newest WZ is 7 months old.

Not sure if serious...

Edited by Pistols

There, there little guy. Take a deep breath, it'll be okay (no it won't).

It's funny seeing a PvPer defending this game tooth and nail and blaming players for its current state. Talk about delusional.

Rift had the best of both worlds. PvE was enjoyable, PvP was great, and when imbalances occurred, the devs were quick to fix them.

100% agree with this. I regret leaving Rift. I recently went and tired it again (right after they announced they planned on resetting the CC breaker, thank god that didn't go through or I'd be gone). PvE and PvP are a lot of fun. PvP is much more in depth in Rift than this game. I love everything about it.

EXCEPT - there are so many trees and possible specs per Advanced Class that you truly cannot ever learn all the specs and how to counter them according to what class/spec you are playiing, etc etc. You fight someone in a warzone and you have no idea what tree that are. That takes an element out of the game that I'd rather have in, regardless of how many other awesome elements are in Rift that are missing from Swtor.

Really hoping that 2.4 is game changing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Polymerize

*clap clap clap clap clap clap clap*

9/10

Edited by islander

Alright, so I'll say this again and people really need to think about it ... this game is F2P .. Yes, they have the Cartel Market, but honestly, what in the world can you buy at the Cartel Market that actually makes your character more powerful? NOTHING. You can buy XP boosts or other boosts, quick travel items .. Why are people buying things from the OVERPRICED CM?

But again, the game is F2P - why would you think they care about devoting time to PvP?

Your argument is illogical. Can't tell if troll or just _________.

I am willing to pay $30-60/month for good PvP content.

I am NOT willing to pay $15/month when 99% of the money goes to PvE.

You say that a "true PvPer" pays $15/month no matter what, ostensibly so that the game maintains good funding. But if a game does not use that money for PvP, then all you are doing is paying so that PvErs get better content.

And using the analogy of taxes and roads is absurd. Taxes largely goes to vital infrastructure, which roads are a good example of. Gaming is not "vital": it's not water, electricity, school, etc.

A better analogy is comparing MMO subscriptions to your favorite restaurant: you support them with regular purchases because you like the food they sell. If they neglect your favorite food and decide to focus on food you don't like, then you stop going. If many people stop going, then the restaurant rethinks its strategy. If many people keep going, despite hating the food, then the restaurant thinks they should continue the same way.

100% agree with this. I regret leaving Rift. I recently went and tired it again (right after they announced they planned on resetting the CC breaker, thank god that didn't go through or I'd be gone). PvE and PvP are a lot of fun. PvP is much more in depth in Rift than this game. I love everything about it.

EXCEPT - there are so many trees and possible specs per Advanced Class that you truly cannot ever learn all the specs and how to counter them according to what class/spec you are playiing, etc etc. You fight someone in a warzone and you have no idea what tree that are. That takes an element out of the game that I'd rather have in, regardless of how many other awesome elements are in Rift that are missing from Swtor.

Really hoping that 2.4 is game changing. :rolleyes:

Really? That was the part I loved most about Rift PvP. Having nine different souls for each class gave the game a lot of diversity, so you could essentially be anything you want. This game is one of those types where if you dot roll X spec for Y advanced class, you won't do well in PvP. In Rift you had so much room to play with, like my main being a champion warrior, and they were good. But I would also see some people run through some defiant on a beast mastery warrior. That's just my opinion though :)

Really? That was the part I loved most about Rift PvP. Having nine different souls for each class gave the game a lot of diversity, so you could essentially be anything you want. This game is one of those types where if you dot roll X spec for Y advanced class, you won't do well in PvP. In Rift you had so much room to play with, like my main being a champion warrior, and they were good. But I would also see some people run through some defiant on a beast mastery warrior. That's just my opinion though :)

You misunderstood what I said. I LOVE that there is so much diversity.

What I do not love is, is that if you are a new player; there is no way you can ever learn all of the classes and specs well enough to know exactly what an enemy player is so you can predict the moves he will make and how to counter them. There are like 9 trees per class and not to mention unlimited 'hybrid' specs.

Why are people buying things from the OVERPRICED CM?

I have disposable income and find the packs fun to open. I was also buying coins in addition to subscribing to help support the game.

They won't be getting any more of my money at this point though.

What I do not love is, is that if you are a new player; there is no way you can ever learn all of the classes and specs well enough to know exactly what an enemy player is so you can predict the moves he will make and how to counter them. There are like 9 trees per class and not to mention unlimited 'hybrid' specs.

That sounds kind of awesome; actually. I think in SWG for the longest time; I got lost just trying different builds and I didn't have to do much else to have fun; although I did. Didn't have to be finished in my build to PvP then really.

I get you now, and I still find that to be awesome. Once you've figured out how every other class and spec works, it's like 1-player console games. Once you figure it out, you can only do so much call of duty campaign before you snap. Rift's diversity with 9 different souls makes it harder for even veteran players to completely keep tab of other builds, which makes for constant on-your-toes competitive gameplay. I am actually really considering going back to Rift because I miss the fact that I could go into a warfront and see something new every single time, and when they completely outplay me and catch me off guard with a move I didn't see coming, it kept the PvP spark inside me ignited.

Interesting point, what I didnt like was the simplicity of making a few macros for a warrior and just spamming them in order (yes i know it wasnt the best route but the class was strong and simple). I felt it dumbed the game down as well as a few other things. I loved the multiple trees and spec options (which I think WoW removing the trees in that manner was a huge mistake).

Rift did a lot of things right but it couldn't hold the MMO crowd either. They have added a lot of good enhancements to the game for leveling, cross server group finder, allowing you to adjust your level down to the area ect, but PvPers there feel ignored as well and want more just like here. But I guess that will always be the case in any game that is PvE centered.

Personally I just didnt find the PvP as engaging and the fact that it isnt Star Wars.

We'll see who is right and who is wrong. If the Cartel market will make it up for the lost subs because of the bad PvP, BW will not bend. However if not, oh boy, they can start looking for a new job. Edited by sauerkraut

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.