Scoundrel - cover irrelevant?

MarkDB

I've been playing a Smuggler and recently got my Advanced Class and went with Scoundrel.

When I played an Imperial Agent in the beta and went with Sniper, the progression seemed quite logical, just an extension of the tactics I'd already honed. But going the other path - in this case, Smuggler to Scoundrel - feels like much more of a wrench gameplay-wise. From being the ranged attacker who strives never to get close enough to be noticed before attacking, I'm now the Stealth guy, and most of my best attacks are in melee.

That's fine, and I've been playing that way, but it tends to feel like by base-class's cover-dependent powers are just hanging on like a disused appendix now - I don't recall the last time I actually dropped into cover to use them.

I'm just wondering if I'm doing it 'wrong' - whether it'd be more sensible to go back to attacking initially from cover, and only use my close-range powers on enemies who close with me, or whether I should just boot those cover-dependent abilities from my toolbar as irrelevant.

I guess where they might come in handy is if I'm playing the healer role in a group, and need to just hunker down and take pot-shots between healing my allies, but I'm not practised in the healer role as yet, so I don't know if that's the more viable approach.

Basically, I'd just like to hear how other people are playing their Scoundrels, and whether those powers still play a role in their tactics.

Honestly, in the early gameplay you can use cover as much as you want. Your not forced into it at all. I knew my Scoundrel was going to be my AC, so I played outside of cover to get used to it in the beginning. If gunslinger was more your thing, it would have been best to utilize cover to get used to that game mechanic early on.

Edit: Oh and yes, they are pretty much useless appendages if your are a scoundrel. You can still use them, sure, but eh. I'm glad they got their own "Cover" toolbar so they never took up space from my regular toolbar. I'm barely holding it together with 3 rows.

Edited by RadicalGene

I definitely find Cover more situational as a scoundrel. If I'm running a flashpoint with all of my ranged class friends I don't always get a chance to stealth: either they've engaged another mob or something's half dead by the time I get into position. So I make use of Cover to give me a few extra DPS options if everyone's gone trigger happy.

It might also be that I'm going the Dirty Fighting route rather than Scrapper, but I find that once I get Upper Hand going, Cover abilities do still have some use.

I will use cover when facing one big enemy, that way I can send an explosive charge and shot at them from a distance. It's a good opening... or I can do that to wipe out a normal before the rest even react. But no, it's much more stealthy than I normally like.

Eh, just because you played pre-AC non-scoundrel like doesn't mean we all do. I got a friend into the game and we rolled two smugglers, both planning on going gunslinger. Unfortunately, as I main a Trooper, the cover system kind of annoyed me a bit, and I spent more time pistol whipping, nut shotting, and running like hell (as I typically had the aggro) while my buddy took pot shots at whatever I was running from. Seeing as how I naturally tended towards Scoundrel type play (despite planning on going GS), it was really a no brainer on which AC to pick.

I putted Cover, Sabo-Charge, and Charged Shot on a sidebar, in case i have at attack something i dont want to snealth into (whatever, a Mob in Lava or Acid or so) ... but they rust there ever since :)

No you dont need cover, you might use though, for kicks & giggles.. and Long-Range attacks.

In addition to the above, Cover definitely has uses in PvP, not only for healers but also for Dirty Fighters and even Scrappers. It still offers defensive bonuses, but perhaps more importantly it actually lets the Scoundrel use ranged abilities. I''m not sure what the numbers will look like at end-game, but at least at the moment those Charged Bursts and Sabotage Charges deal respectable damage, and are the only options available apart from regular blaster fire to attack from a distance. If you''re going into cover anyway, you might as well flick a Sabotage Charge at them, and if you need just a little bit more damage against an enemy at range, a Charged Burst will let you get it in.

I'll admit to using at least the 'crouch' bit of cover, even when melee - usually behind a mob. If I read the codex right, I still get some defensive benefit from it - so why wouldn't I use it? It doesn't stop me using other abilities as far as I know... I could be wrong though, I only have a baby scoundrel and I'm really still just getting used to it.

I hardly ever use taking cover behind objects, because I need to be melee to get the upper hands. I sometimes use it when soloing with companion... but even then, fairly rarely.

X

Edited by XtremJedi

i use cover to throw the sabotage charge, then run into the mobs guns blazeing.

being in the midst of the action allows you to do so much more, after a few levels survive is no longer a problem. not used cover for defence since i got the advanced class, am now level 34.

As sawbones I find that I am using cover in group situations, I will use a bleed shot here and there, a grenade as I see fit and stay in cover while healing.

For me it is situational, Im not going to be up front and try to out DPS a Sentinel, I will take cover and dps with a different tricks.