Swtor or Marvel heroes?

AGSThomas

So most of my guild is leaving to play this new MMO called Marvel Heroes. Has anyone checked it out? Is it worth following them? I've heard its like Diablo but in an MMO world.. sounds odd? I dunno, I'm having fun in Swtor but the times I'm having fun its usually with the guildies that are leaving.

So most of my guild is leaving to play this new MMO called Marvel Heroes. Has anyone checked it out? Is it worth following them? I've heard its like Diablo but in an MMO world.. sounds odd? I dunno, I'm having fun in Swtor but the times I'm having fun its usually with the guildies that are leaving.

This is like going to McDonalds and asking them, if you would get a better meal at Burger King.

What kind of answers do you expect?

Personal advice: Move with the guild. Not because SWTOR is bad or worse, but because trying to enjoy a game that was most fun because of people who have left is hard. Besides, if Marvel is good, it'll be worth staying, and if it's bad, your friends will likely come back, and you with them.

I just kinda wanted to know if anyone had played this Marvel Heroes game yet and what they thought of it.

I've played it. Not impressed at all. It's a vastly different game than this. During early access, there were a lot of people that had already reached end-game after 1 day. It's done by the same guy who did Diablo I and II (but not III) and so it pulls a lot of stuff from those games as far as the structure and design. I never played the Diablo games so it might be more to someone's liking who was into those games. For me, it just has an outdated look and feel.... the combat is extremely dumbed down, button-mashing that feels more like an arcade game. I was originally pretty amped about that game but after having done some beta testing and played it now that it's launched, it's definitely not going to cut into my SWTOR playtime.

However, keep in mind, there's usually a flood of new players to these games for the first 2-3 weeks to check it out and then they leave...especially since it's a F2P game which people can check out for free. There was a time when all you heard in the forums and on general chat in-game was how everyone was supposedly leaving to play Guild Wars or Diablo III. It happens with every new game. The game-hoppers who play every new game for 20 hours a day for 2-3 weeks and then move onto the next game will always check out the next new thing....but this Marvel Heroes game will not be making any significant dent in the SWTOR playerbase.

It is very much Diablo 3 with superheros. It's also heavily geared towards micro-transactions. If you want to play as an A-List superhero (Spiderman, Iron Man, Wolverine, Captain America, etc.) you'll have to pay to unlock it from the cash shop or grind out the unlocks very slowly over time. You'll also look like every other person playing as that hero unless you go to the cash shop and buy a new costume, so even if you do unlock Spiderman (for example), you'll look just like every other Spiderman running around in the game until you pay. The cash shop also sells items that improve your hero's abilities, so there is a "pay to win" aspect to consider. It's too early to say whether or not loot drops in the game balance that out, but it is something to think about.

Aside from all that, the game has issues. The control scheme is typical of isometric action-rpgs in the Diablo vein, and your success (or failure) will at times hinge upon the amount of lag you're experiencing. This is really painful for ranged characters, as it can cause many of your attacks to miss, especially since you'll frequently be clicking on the ground away from enemies while trying to maintain your range advantage. The powers themselves are fun, though, and you'll be able to use them quite frequently since your resource pool regenerates very quickly.

I guess it's an alright game, overall. It doesn't set any new standards or introduce any revolutionary new ideas, though. It's free, so it can't hurt to give it a shot, but it's not the sort of game I'd consider ending my SWTOR subscription for. I can't speak for you or your friends, but if you really liked Diablo 3, Marvel Heroes might be an interesting alternative to Blizzard's game. If you didn't like Diablo 3, you probably won't like Marvel Heroes, since the essential gameplay is very similar and many the game's best customization options are locked behind microtransactions.

Edit: changed "features" to "customization options" in last sentence for clarity.

Edited by Snordek

many the games best features are locked behind microtransactions.

Sorry, but this is just flat out false. No features are locked. The only things that are would be extra heroes, increased inventory space, and costumes. You can also buy some potions that increase rarity of your drops and xp gains, but these are not features.

Played the last open Beta for a few hours. Here's what I took away.

First, the big problem for me is that it is an MMO and you cannot make your own characters, only Marvel characters. Some people might like this, but for me the whole point of an MMO is to create a persona behind a character and put him through the story. Of course, some might disagree with this and I respect. Beyond that initial issue, however, there are only a certain number of Heroes you can choose from. I assume they intend on expanding on this later but it's an obvious turn off if your favorite character is not playable. I also find it to be a turn off if your favorite character is playable and about a hundred other people are playing him too right next to you.:(

As others have mentioned, it is basically a Diablo close. That being said, a lot of the people are actually looking for something like that. I'm told it's not as deep as D3 but it's a good alternative if you've played the former to death.

It does have a story of sorts and it shares GW2's "The whole server is a party and everyone's invited" mentality to open-world PvE. Don't know if it has any PvP -- only played a few hours and didn't get very far. The dungeons are almost obnoxiously long, however.

Sorry, but this is just flat out false. No features are locked. The only things that are would be extra heroes, increased inventory space, and costumes. You can also buy some potions that increase rarity of your drops and xp gains, but these are not features.

Difference in word choice perhaps. You are correct, that everything required to play the game is free. I tend to include character customization under the "features" heading, but that's just me. I should have been more specific about that. Though, for a superhero game, being able to play as your favorite hero from the Marvel pantheon (and in your favorite costume) would seem like a "feature" to me. However, I'll make an edit to clarify what I meant in the original post.

I just kinda wanted to know if anyone had played this Marvel Heroes game yet and what they thought of it.

It is good enough to play for free but I would not put money into it. Has a small development team which has made weird/interesting choices as far as things that should have been in it before it even went into closed beta let alone alpha testing or even internal testing.

I held off buying any founders pre-release packs for this reason. I don't trust their decision making.

Played the last open Beta for a few hours. Here's what I took away.

First, the big problem for me is that it is an MMO and you cannot make your own characters, only Marvel characters. Some people might like this, but for me the whole point of an MMO is to create a persona behind a character and put him through the story. Of course, some might disagree with this and I respect. Beyond that initial issue, however, there are only a certain number of Heroes you can choose from. I assume they intend on expanding on this later but it's an obvious turn off if your favorite character is not playable. I also find it to be a turn off if your favorite character is playable and about a hundred other people are playing him too right next to you.:(

As others have mentioned, it is basically a Diablo close. That being said, a lot of the people are actually looking for something like that. I'm told it's not as deep as D3 but it's a good alternative if you've played the former to death.

It does have a story of sorts and it shares GW2's "The whole server is a party and everyone's invited" mentality to open-world PvE. Don't know if it has any PvP -- only played a few hours and didn't get very far. The dungeons are almost obnoxiously long, however.

What you are referring to is an MMORPG. Pretty much any game with online play is refered to as an MMO now days. The term MMO recently has been used quite generally in a lot of new games. It is marketing.

MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. You could call COD an MMO nowdays and get away with it.

RPG = Role Playing Game. That is the part you are looking for.

Edited by KillaDeuce

If you like Diablo-style games, you'll probably have fun with it at least for awhile.

It has a lot of great elements:

-Wonderful particle/spell effects

-Fun ARPG style gameplay

-Marvel characters, many of which you can play for free

-You really don't need to spend any $ at all if you are content to play as one of the 6 starting heroes for a while

-Fun solo or in a casual group

-hits the "item hunt" itch pretty well

-Dev team was pretty responsive within their capabilities during the beta

That said, it has a lot of problems also:

-hero balance is currently really bad

-the "MMO" open world elements are really pointless; it's an ARPG and shouldn't pretend otherwise

-Costumes are WAY too expensive. I don't mind the heroes costing $10-20 because the game really is free and needs a revenue stream, but $10-15 for a costume is pretty silly.

-endgame balance is pretty uneven. It's not *terrible,* but it has some problems

In general, it's a fun game that's definitely worth hopping into if you enjoy ARPGs. It's not an all-consuming messiah game that you'll play for years, but...who cares? Hop in, smash some bad guys, come back in a while and do it again. You really can play for free/cheap and have some fun. It's also nice (imo) to help support a smaller company who is really strapped by a time and budget.

And there's no reason you can't play MH and SWTOR at the same time.

Edited by Amera

I started MH about a month ago (in beta).

It's early days and the game is just a platform at the moment. You can blow through the story in a matter of days and gameplay is not hard. As with many MMOs, starting near launch is really a bet that the game will get fleshed out and improve over time. It's too early to call at this point.

MH is a shallow D2 at this point. The skill trees are very simple and allow for little variability in viable builds at the end game. Story is neat, but you'll be begging for more after the first play through. However, you can download it right now, play for free and see for yourself. I would recommend one of the free ranged heroes, either Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch. The melee heroes are fun in the beginning, but very frustrating later on.

Whatever the case, I can't see picking up a whole guild and moving there. It's just not that engaging of a game, yet.

Edited by SecretScientist

My husband was on the beta for MH. He quit after about 20 minutes - why? Because it took about that long to wonder why it seemed so familiar...it is almost an exact clone of the Xbox 360 Ultimate Allience!!:eek::mad: The only things that were changed were to add a few more characters to play, the online MMO idea ( UA can coop play up to 4 people on the same console) and store to spend money. :mad:

Very disappointed we were. Stayed with SWTOR we did. :D

Yesterday's Penny Arcade comic and Gabe's news post pretty much sum up my problems with the Marvel MMO. Pretty sad that Champions was supposed to be the Marvel MMO before it got repurposed into the Champions MMO. At least DCUO lets me make my own character, even with its limited color pallete and costume selections.

I don't want to play Wolverine. I want to play my own hero and help out the X-Men or the Avengers. But screw that Richards guy. He's a douche.

I f you want that question answerd go tho theire forum.

Edited by hages