ETA on Advanced Class change?

the sad this is 99% of these whiny children QQing on this forum would never of played the video games of the 80s an 90s. The games back then required you to be good to progress... now they simply make games for the drooling offspring of soccer moms... They are the games that no matter what you beat the game because you don't actually have to be and good to win.

Oh, really? And when did you start playing computer games?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Trooper is the base class. Once you choose your AC, you are no longer just a trooper. You class becomes vanguard or commando. If you doubt me, do a /who, check your guild roster or just mouse over a vanguard or commando. Do you see any class listed as trooper-vanguard or trooper-commando? NO. You see vanguards and commandos because those are their classes, not trooper. This is why the game advises each and every player several times that the choice is permanent and there is NO going back. This has been backed up by the devs stating that the AC's are different classes.

Think of it as tree. The trunk is your base class, in this case trooper. The base class branches out into two separate and distinct classes( the AC's), much like the trunk separates into the branches of the tree. Once the trunk separates, the branches continue off in different directions, and do not meet up again. Once you start up one branch, in order to get to the other branch, you have to go back down to the point of separation and then go back up the other branch. That is not possible in this game. If you wish to see where that other branch might lead, you have to plant another tree, or roll another trooper to see what the commando is like, if you chose vanguard with the first trooper.

It's the trooper either way. Just because your a vanguard or a commando doesn't mean your no longer a trooper. When you make your character, you pick the trooper, not the commando or the vanguard, if they wanted it to be complete different classes they should have made that part of the creation process. Even after I select vanguard, im still a trooper in the story. So what you get a different label once you pick your AC that doesn't mean your no longer the trooper.

The most important thing is it's not switching classes, I'm not swapping a gun for a saber, I'm not turning from a trooper to a smuggler, I'm still the trooper in the end.

Edited by PeterTLJr

It's the trooper either way. Just because your a vanguard or a commando doesn't mean your no longer a trooper. When you make your character, you pick the trooper, not the commando or the vanguard, if they wanted it to be complete different classes they should have made that part of the creation process. Even after I select vanguard, im still a trooper in the story. So what you get a different label once you pick your AC that doesn't mean your no longer the trooper.

No it's just that way for story purpose. You get a feel for the class and what it entails.

Choosing the advanced class is like choosing a class in any other mmo.

If you choose to be a mage in Wow you can't change to be a warlock once you get to 90.

Let the argument rest please. Bioware still has people that have worked on multiple MMO's and they will never let you change your advanced class

Why do people keep trying to compare WoW classes to SWTOR classes? There not the same, quit using "well WoW didn't allow you to change classes" nobody cares, this isn't WoW. In WoW if you rolled a warrior, you could play any spec you wanted without having to make a new character, in this game if you rolled a knight you have to play 2 knights to play all specs.

That being said, I'd like to see AC switching, with some restrictions. Only so many per character and time limit in between. I'm not a big fan of my 55 vanguard and wish I could switch to a commando, and I'd have no problem rerolling if what I accomplished on my vanguard switched over, mounts, titles, achievements, gear, ect, would switch over as well.

no you are wrong. If you are a Sentinel that is your class you have 3 specs to choose from. A Guardian is a completely different class which has 3 specs in it. The wow analogy works just fine.

no you are wrong. If you are a Sentinel that is your class you have 3 specs to choose from. A Guardian is a completely different class which has 3 specs in it. The wow analogy works just fine.

This, you could use a dozen other MMO's as examples not just WoW

No it's just that way for story purpose. You get a feel for the class and what it entails.

If you choose to be a mage in Wow you can't change to be a warlock once you get to 90.

Let the argument rest please. Bioware still has people that have worked on multiple MMO's and they will never let you change your advanced class

Ah. There it is. The same "I want you to stop trying so I will tell you it will never happen" comment.

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.

Italics added for emphasis, otherwise verbatim.

Source

Edited by LordArtemis

So it's ok for a Paladin to go from a tank to a healer to a dps, but if I wanted to do that on my Trooper it's not ok?

Ah. There it is. The same "I want you to stop trying so I will tell you it will never happen" comment.

Source

Lol, I didn't stop trying, If they offer the advanced class change. I guarantee it was not the choice of the developers, but EA telling them to implement it for money in the form of cartel coins.

If they implement this it will ruin the game.

So it's ok for a Paladin to go from a tank to a healer to a dps, but if I wanted to do that on my Trooper it's not ok?

You have skill trees. I can go from a tank assassin to a dps assassin. It's the same concept. Bioware chose not to have a class that did all three.

It was a design choice

K lets use WoW analogy. I make a warrior right? I get to level 10 I pick Fury as my spec. I get certain abilities from being Fury, then I get some points to put in a tree where I want. Why is that any different then picking a Sentinel getting certain abilities for it, then putting points in the tree where I want. Then lets say as a warrior, I want to go Protection, I talk to my WARRIOR trainer and respec get new abilities then put points elsewhere. Why can't I do this in SWTOR?

Source

you still do not get it... they put it that way because they do not want to ever say it will never happen so they make the answer political.

They will not do AC swaps they know it will ruin the game.

You have skill trees. I can go from a tank assassin to a dps assassin. It's the same concept. Bioware chose not to have a class that did all three.

It was a design choice

skill trees doesn't make the class. A class is a class. If a Retribution paladin had different trees then a holy paladin, would that mean its no longer the paladin?

K lets use WoW analogy. I make a warrior right? I get to level 10 I pick Fury as my spec. I get certain abilities from being Fury, then I get some points to put in a tree where I want. Why is that any different then picking a Sentinel getting certain abilities for it, then putting points in the tree where I want. Then lets say as a warrior, I want to go Protection, I talk to my WARRIOR trainer and respec get new abilities then put points elsewhere. Why can't I do this in SWTOR?

wow has 1 talent tree, and gives you the option of 3 talent specs. The 3 specs for a warrior are Arms Fury and Protection. That is the exact same as a Guardian not a jedi knight.

Guardians get a tank tree and 2 DPS trees. That is the same as warrior in WoW.

A sentinel is a pure DPS class much like a rogue in wow minus the stealth. They have acess to 3 DPS trees just like a sent

you still do not get it... they put it that way because they do not want to ever say it will never happen so they make the answer political.

They will not do AC swaps they know it will ruin the game.

people were also saying switching races would ruin the game, and did it?

You can, It's called a skill trainer.

He is in the combat area of the fleet.

Going along with your WoW analogy, you picked a warrior. He can dps and tank, you have 3 skill trees, at least they used to and now it's 3 spec choices. You can choose any of the three. Just like in SWTOR you can choose any of the 3 skill trees in the advanced class that YOU chose that the trainer tells you, you cannot reverse.

skill trees doesn't make the class. A class is a class. If a Retribution paladin had different trees then a holy paladin, would that mean its no longer the paladin?

Jedi Knights do not have talent trees... They have a common story. The classes are guardian and Sentinel.

When you look in your guild listing does it tell you someone is a jedi knight or if they are a sentinel.

There are 8 classes per faction, and 4 stories per faction. It is not 4 classes. If you do not understand it you never will you simply lack simple common sense.

You people have it all wrong. A sentinel/mara is a rogue, guardian/jugg is a warrior. The difference is in the armor. It's like rolling a rogue in WoW, then switching over to a warrior, and then back again. It would destroy any semblance of fairness while running a flashpoint or ops with people rolling need on **** so they can fulfill their "Alternate AC" specs. Sent/Mara's rolling on heavy armor and shields, and jugg/guardians rolling on off-hand sabers and medium armor.

It's dumb, and it doesn't need to be enabled. There should be at least one freaking choice in this game that has some kind of significance to it. Just because you get a stipend or buy some real money coins doesn't mean you should be able to undo your decision made so long ago. Roll a freaking alt if you want to play something else. You have two character slots as an F2P, and we subs have a ton of slots open. It takes NO effort to level a toon in this game, and xp consumables are dirt cheap.

people were also saying switching races would ruin the game, and did it?

People who said that were most likely RP players.

Race changes does not affect gameplay in anyway

There are no race perks in this game other than social abilities

wow has 1 talent tree, and gives you the option of 3 talent specs. The 3 specs for a warrior are Arms Fury and Protection. That is the exact same as a Guardian not a jedi knight.

Guardians get a tank tree and 2 DPS trees. That is the same as warrior in WoW.

A sentinel is a pure DPS class much like a rogue in wow minus the stealth. They have acess to 3 DPS trees just like a sent

WoW also made the warrior the warrior. They didn't make 2 separate branches for the warrior. It's the same thing here, a sentinel and a guardian is still the Jedi Knight. In SWTOR each class shares a same skill tree anyways. Just because theres more skill trees for a class in this game doesn't mean its not the same class.

WoW also made the warrior the warrior. They didn't make 2 separate branches for the warrior. It's the same thing here, a sentinel and a guardian is still the Jedi Knight. In SWTOR each class shares a same skill tree anyways. Just because theres more skill trees for a class in this game doesn't mean its not the same class.

like i said you simply lack the ability to understand. The jedi knight is not the class, it is the class story. The classes are guardian and sentinel that are associated with the jedi knight story.

People who said that were most likely RP players.

Race changes does not affect gameplay in anyway

There are no race perks in this game other than social abilities

But switching AC's doesn't affect gameplay either. A commando and vanguard still use a gun, just different types of guns, they both throw grenades, they both share same buff, I use same stat (aim and endurance). It's just what roles I can play. Every class is able to switch roles in every game. As long as it doesn't switch the base CLASS.

like i said you simply lack the ability to understand. The jedi knight is not the class, it is the class story. The classes are guardian and sentinel that are associated with the jedi knight story.

no, Jedi Knight is the class, it's not a Jedi Sentinel/Guardian trainer, its the Jedi Knight trainer. When I make the character, I'm not making a Jedi Sentinel, I'm making the Jedi Knight.

But switching AC's doesn't affect gameplay either. A commando and vanguard still use a gun, just different types of guns, they both throw grenades, they both share same buff, I use same stat (aim and endurance). It's just what roles I can play. Every class is able to switch roles in every game. As long as it doesn't switch the base CLASS.

You have separate abilities

a vanguard can't use commando abilities no matter what he does.

and a commando can't use vanguard abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1tdERjANSw

watch from 3:20, every advanced class trainer says this.

Yes, like in wow you can go from a dps warrior to a tank warrior fury to protection.

In swtor you can go from a DPS Juggernaut to a tank juggernaut. Rage to immortal

it effects game play completely... an assassin is NOTHING like a sorcerer.

A commando plays nothing like a vanguard.

You still do not understand. The Vanguard is the class. When you log in and play your character on the unit frame it has your name and your class under it. And once you pick your CLASS it never says jedi knight again or bounty hunter or trooper. It says guardian, powertech, or commando.

I'm sorry you lack the ability to understand it but that is how it is. Just because you cannot grasp it doesn't make it less true.

You have separate abilities

a vanguard can't use commando abilities no matter what he does.

and a commando can't use vanguard abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1tdERjANSw

watch from 3:20, every advanced class trainer says this.

Yes, like in wow you can go from a dps warrior to a tank warrior fury to protection.

In swtor you can go from a DPS Juggernaut to a tank juggernaut. Rage to immortal

but what is the difference? its all within the same class. Juggernaut and Marauder are the same class just have different specs. And yes, they use some same abilities.