ETA on Advanced Class change?

no, Jedi Knight is the class, it's not a Jedi Sentinel/Guardian trainer, its the Jedi Knight trainer. When I make the character, I'm not making a Jedi Sentinel, I'm making the Jedi Knight.

You may still be a Jedi Knight but you have chosen your advanced class either a guardian or Sentinel.

They are separate classes

You don't share all of your abilities

Edited by Jedi_Titus

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but what is the difference? its all within the same class. Juggernaut and Marauder are the same class just have different specs. And yes, they use some same abilities.

Once again they share similar abilities but there are many commando abilities that vanguards can't use.

it effects game play completely... an assassin is NOTHING like a sorcerer.

A commando plays nothing like a vanguard.

You still do not understand. The Vanguard is the class. When you log in and play your character on the unit frame it has your name and your class under it. And once you pick your CLASS it never says jedi knight again or bounty hunter or trooper. It says guardian, powertech, or commando.

I'm sorry you lack the ability to understand it but that is how it is. Just because you cannot grasp it doesn't make it less true.

the assassin and sorc both use lightning abilities. they both use a lightsaber, they go to the same trainer, they go to same story zones, they get same companions. one just specs into using a stronger lightsaber and more melee abilities, and the other chooses to use more lightning and force abilities. They are both still the Inquisitor.

but what is the difference? its all within the same class. Juggernaut and Marauder are the same class just have different specs. And yes, they use some same abilities.

they really do not use the same abilities. They both use slash and master strike but that is where they stop being the same.

a powertech will almost never use unload while its a major part of a merc rotation. Just like a merc will never use flamethrower rotatonally and its very important to powertechs.

The more you post the more you prove you have 0 grasp of the classes in this game.

the assassin and sorc both use lightning abilities. they both use a lightsaber, they go to the same trainer, they go to same story zones, they get same companions. one just specs into using a stronger lightsaber and more melee abilities, and the other chooses to use more lightning and force abilities. They are both still the Inquisitor.

a sorc doesn't use their light saber. The only thing they share is the story.

no, Jedi Knight is the class, it's not a Jedi Sentinel/Guardian trainer, its the Jedi Knight trainer. When I make the character, I'm not making a Jedi Sentinel, I'm making the Jedi Knight.

Jedi Knight is not the class. It's the archtype. Similar to Mage and Priest in WoW (Among other classes) sharing the caster archtype.

Jedi Guardian and Jedi Sentinel are the classes.

they really do not use the same abilities. They both use slash and master strike but that is where they stop being the same.

a powertech will almost never use unload while its a major part of a merc rotation. Just like a merc will never use flamethrower rotatonally and its very important to powertechs.

The more you post the more you prove you have 0 grasp of the classes in this game.

thats like saying a holy paladin doesnt use crusader strike, but a ret paladin does, so that makes them separate classes.

Jedi Knight is not the class. It's the archtype. Similar to Mage and Priest in WoW (Among other classes) sharing the caster archtype.

Jedi Guardian and Jedi Sentinel are the classes.

no, its the class.http://www.swtor.com/holonet/classes

READ THE CLASSES.

Once again they share similar abilities but there are many commando abilities that vanguards can't use.

just like any other game, a spec has abilities that they other specs cant use. but if they are the same class, they use some similar abilities.

no, its the class.http://www.swtor.com/holonet/classes

READ THE CLASSES.

dude you lack the ability to understand that you are wrong. The advanced class is you class for the game. that is what the devs have said and guess what they devs will always be right.

Guardian and Sentinel are the classes that share the jedi knight story.

Well just play an Inquisitor to level 55 and tell me how that goes.

There are 64 abilities only the assassin can use

http://www.torhead.com/class/7IwygTY/sith-assassin#abilities;page:1

and 55 abilities only the sorcerer can use

http://www.torhead.com/class/26UDCpo/sith-sorcerer

Well just play an Inquisitor to level 55 and tell me how that goes.

There are 64 abilities only the assassin can use

http://www.torhead.com/class/7IwygTY/sith-assassin#abilities;page:1

and 55 abilities only the sorcerer can use

http://www.torhead.com/class/26UDCpo/sith-sorcerer

doesn't defeat the purpose that its still the same class. you go to Torhead, go to classes and it says Sith Inquisitor, then the specs. Not Sith Assassin, not Sith Sorc. If you go to Wowhead, the classes are there, then the specs.

dude you lack the ability to understand that you are wrong. The advanced class is you class for the game. that is what the devs have said and guess what they devs will always be right.

Guardian and Sentinel are the classes that share the jedi knight story.

so they are both the jedi knight, if they were their own separate class, it would have different stories.

doesn't defeat the purpose that its still the same class. you go to Torhead, go to classes and it says Sith Inquisitor, then the specs. Not Sith Assassin, not Sith Sorc. If you go to Wowhead, the classes are there, then the specs.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor

You go to your advanced class and there are your trees.

If you don't choose an advanced class you don't get any skill trees.

If you stay as a sith inquisitor you never get to put any skill points into a tree because you haven't chosen your class yet

Alright, you're all just arguing semantics. Pay attention.

SWTOR -- versus-- Classic MMO of your choice

Advanced Class = Class

The real difference is that SWTOR allows you to play around with your class a little before you actually choose it.

Class in this game is just for story and dialogue purposes. It's a lot like...

Class = Race

......in that, "this is how the game world responds to you."

Most, if not all, MMO's do not allow Class changes. (Remember that means "Advanced Class changes" in SWTOR) The reason is because, pay attention again.....

Say I level my Vanguard to 55, I should have learned how to play that Class (Advanced Class) by the time I get all my abilities, level 55. Now I start collecting awesome Elder Game Gear, but I'm sad because what I really wanted was a Commando and not a Vanguard so I go to the Retrain Vender (or where ever) and change my Class (Advanced Class). I now have Super Awesome Purple Gear but NO IDEA how to play my Class (Advanced Class).

This is why so many people (including myself, if you couldn't tell) are against Class (Advanced Class) swapping in ANY MMO. The other reason is because Nerfs and Buffs will happen in every MMO as Game Balance is, well, Rebalanced; and we all know that everyone on a perceived Nerfed Class (Advanced Class) would just jump ship instead of actually giving the changes a chance and relearning their Class (Advanced Class). (Every Balancing Patch proves this with the waves of QQ threads that start afterwards.)

That being said, (Pay Attention, just one more time) I think Advance Class changing will happen at some point. I won't be too upset, however, if they limit it to only before the end of Chapter 1 (or around level 32). That would give someone MORE than enough time to realize they made a mistake, but enough time to still figure their Advanced Class out before hitting End Game Content.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor

You go to your advanced class and there are your trees.

If you don't choose an advanced class you don't get any skill trees.

If you stay as a sith inquisitor you never get to put any skill points into a tree because you haven't chosen your class yet

but skill trees dont make the class. the class is the class. if you choose not to put any points in lets say a paladins skill tree, your still the paladin. if you put points in retribution and they changed your class to Retribution, does that mean your no longer a paladin?

Alright, you're all just arguing semantics. Pay attention.

SWTOR -- versus-- Classic MMO of your choice

Advanced Class = Class

The real difference is that SWTOR allows you to play around with your class a little before you actually choose it.

Class in this game is just for story and dialogue purposes. It's a lot like...

Class = Race

......in that, "this is how the game world responds to you."

Most, if not all, MMO's do not allow Class changes. (Remember that means "Advanced Class changes" in SWTOR) The reason is because, pay attention again.....

Say I level my Vanguard to 55, I should have learned how to play that Class (Advanced Class) by the time I get all my abilities, level 55. Now I start collecting awesome Elder Game Gear, but I'm sad because what I really wanted was a Commando and not a Vanguard so I go to the Retrain Vender (or where ever) and change my Class (Advanced Class). I now have Super Awesome Purple Gear but NO IDEA how to play my Class (Advanced Class).

This is why so many people (including myself, if you couldn't tell) are against Class (Advanced Class) swapping in ANY MMO. The other reason is because Nerfs and Buffs will happen in every MMO as Game Balance is, well, Rebalanced; and we all know that everyone on a perceived Nerfed Class (Advanced Class) would just jump ship instead of actually giving the changes a chance and relearning their Class (Advanced Class). (Every Balancing Patch proves this with the waves of QQ threads that start afterwards.)

That being said, (Pay Attention, just one more time) I think Advance Class changing will happen at some point. I won't be too upset, however, if they limit it to only before the end of Chapter 1 (or around level 32). That would give someone MORE than enough time to realize they made a mistake, but enough time to still figure their Advanced Class out before hitting End Game Content.

how is that any different then somebody leveling a paladin up to 90 as retribution, then deciding you really want start healing? should you make a new paladin, pick holy at lvl 10, then level it up to 90?

The fact of the matter is if you pick retribution your still the paladin. You pick vanguard, your still the trooper.

It's just like Callings in Rift, you pick your Calling lets say a Warrior, then you decide to go Beastmaster and then you have skill trees you can go up. You can switch that anytime you want to anything within the Warrior.

Edited by PeterTLJr

how is that any different then somebody leveling a paladin up to 90 as retribution, then deciding you really want start healing? should you make a new paladin, pick holy at lvl 10, then level it up to 90?

The fact of the matter is if you pick retribution your still the paladin. You pick vanguard, your still the trooper.

It's just like Callings in Rift, you pick your Calling lets say a Warrior, then you decide to go Beastmaster and then you have skill trees you can go up. You can switch that anytime you want to anything within the Warrior.

dude just give up. you lack the ability to understand that the class is a vanguard, not a trooper. That is a fact there is no disputing it.

That is entirely different. The Paladin class has 3 trees that allow it to do that. The Vanguard class has 3 trees that allow it to Tank or Dps. Trooper is just there for references to your class as "Sir or Soldier" in conversations and for your class story, nothing more. What is so hard about that?

Edited by spectreclees

I'm with this guy. Essentially changing trees means you need to learn new rotations and skills.

Advanced class change means you need to research a little, much like a tree change. In fact every time I've changed trees I've gone through the talents, reviewed others builds and rotations and then experimented.

I think anyone who doesn't agree this is a valid point has a very narrow vision. An advanced class change would be great in my opinion for the sole reason that this game is story driven. Having to redo a story because you want a different advanced class would suck, at least for me. While I may do this in the future, it's not really my thing. I'm not really into the grind that some people are so obsessed with and the epeen that it supposedly allows them to tote.

This whole row over advanced class changes when really we should be demanding a tier beyond Advanced Classes.

Call it "Elite Class", with each "Advanced Class" having three choices, one of them being to branch into a third advanced class. A characters Elite Class could be chosen at level 56. So there would be 3 tiers.

Example:

Tier I: Base Class chosen at character creation (in this example, Sith Warrior)

Tier II: Advanced Class chosen at level 10 (in this case Juggernaut)

Tier III: Elite Class- level 56 Juggernaut could choose one of these three: Berserker, Dreadnought, OR any of the Empire Advanced Classes.

When you pay for cake, don't settle for just having it. Demand the ability to eat it to.

You guys ask for wayyy too little and get wayy too little in return.

Edited by Xeperi

you got theyr message all wrong

they meant that they are changing some stuff from the adv classes to make em more balanced(called nerfing and upgrading)

they never mentioned to be able to change your own adv class (hence the 5 warnings in the game to NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG AC)

Bioware should simply implement a couple of Advanced Class specific missions, meaning a Sage would get an entirely different mission from a Shadow, and a Mercenary would get a radically different mission from a Powertech. Give an advanced-class specific companion as a final reward (it would certainly help balance out some advanced classes if done right), and Bioware will have the perfect excuse to kill these threads forever, by the ONLY excuse those wanting AC changes have for it. The stories will no longer be the same, and choice of companions became different as well.

The best part of it: people HAVE been asking for more story content. So that's 2 birds with one stone!

Bioware should simply implement a couple of Advanced Class specific missions, meaning a Sage would get an entirely different mission from a Shadow, and a Mercenary would get a radically different mission from a Powertech. Give an advanced-class specific companion as a final reward (it would certainly help balance out some advanced classes if done right), and Bioware will have the perfect excuse to kill these threads forever, by the ONLY excuse those wanting AC changes have for it. The stories will no longer be the same, and choice of companions became different as well.

The best part of it: people HAVE been asking for more story content. So that's 2 birds with one stone!

I support AC change, but I will admit, I love this idea.... However, since the AC is easier to implement and way cheaper to produce, plus will make them money, that is what they will probably still do.