Why did Jeff Hickman lie to subscribers about the future of the game?

Dawginole

Hey folks,

I will just be as honest as I can here, it was a poor choice in wording on our part. I know that players have made decisions around whether to remain a subscriber based on those words which makes it all that much more sensitive. I apologize if you feel that you were misled by what we said in that blog. Since this blog I feel we have been more consistent in our messaging that you can expect things like cosmetic and convenience features (like Appearance Designer) are the types of things we usually place on the Cartel Market.

It has always been our plan that as new content is released,(such as Flashpoints, Operations, in-game events, daily hubs, etc.) that subscribers will get access to these pieces of content. This is unlike a free-2-play player who will need to purchase access to that content. This is why we stated subscribers gained "unlimited" access to that content, because you get that as a part of your subscription.

For Cartel Market items, you have access to purchase all of them, as do F2P players. What sets you folks apart is your monthly stipend which will allow you to purchase those features at no additional cost should you choose. I realize with your stipend, and with all the features we have, you may not be able to get it all at once but you can get it in time as a subscriber.

With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way.

-eric

The real problem with what you have done to subscribers is that you have made the cartel market entirely central to the game. It defines the in-game economy, character customization, etc. You've made crafting as simplistic, boring, and worthless as possible while still making it necessary; ultimately making it an aggravation rather than making it fun. You've also made it unnecessarily expensive (140 crafted items to make the augment kits for 1 set of gear for 1 toon? I have 7 55's and two more within 4 lvls - gearing all of them at only one set of gear per takes 980 crafted items for 7 to 1260 crafted items for all 9. I'm discounting crits because you force us to have two sets of gear for pvp vs. pve). It would take me over 15,000 resources to give augment kits to all my toons - that's prohibitively expensive. That doesn't even take into consideration the kind of cost of installing the augment kits. For all 9 of my toons that are up high lvl - 4,536,000. That's not including the several million worth of kits if I were to buy them, or the still several million cost to make them. Now, there are three real ways to get a considerable amount of money in this game. Dailies, which I could make up to 1mil per day if I have like 6 hours to spend, crafting - the thing I need the money for, or by buying and selling stuff from cartel. I don't want to spend my entire month grinding credits just to get my toons some decent gear. Subscribers want to be able to actually use their toons to play the game rather than spend their entire time grinding to be able to do something. You need to stop adding **** to the cartel market and start fixing the problems within the game. You can say "oh, we haven't forgotten subscribers" or whatever, but unless the subscribers actually feel that way you're ******. I'm giving this game until ESO to fix some of these problems, and if it's not fixed by then - bye bye, I will not be seeing you later. I'm not the only one sharing this sentiment either; I'm in a really big guild, and over half of the players are of the same mind as me. I'm sure our guild isn't alone.

Edited by SerikFox

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I used the barbershop. I don't recall paying a dime over my subscription to do it. Could you please point me to what i should be looking for on my credit card statement?

i didn't have enough cartel coins from my subscription to pay for it, so i couldn't access it without paying extra. maybe he wasn't focused on your situation.

It still remains, that BW is "misleading" (for me it's called a lie) a lot.

On top of that Hickman statement, do you remember the comparison between sub and f2p? When they introduced f2p model, on that overview it was announced that subscribers get one free char- or legacy-rename EACH month. In the end, we will get only one rename for the entire account, if we will ever get it. You can already buy the character rename feature on the CM, but they struggle to give us at least the one free rename? Guess what? BW wants us to invest for it first cause there are always guys who can't wait. And once we will finally get the free rename, you don't need it anymore or you will waste it just because you have it.

Funny part is: They are praising how nice it is to be a subscriber cause you get so much more for your monthly fee. And at the bottom always the sentence/button: Not subscribed? Subscribe now!

So, what has happened with all these features we should get for free? Months ago you told us we will get it, then later on you decide to milk your loyal customers even more and act like "oh, they will have forgotten about it for sure" and "if they somehow notice we were lying" we will "just tell them it was a misleading post" and say "we are sorry about this" and it "will not happen again in the future".

All this just brought me to the conclusion that BW doesn't honor their subscriber base. And if they don't need my monthly fee, it's okay. For me it looks like they don't see what kind of damage they do to their own game. Does it really hurt to give some (promised) features to subscribers for free so they do not feel scammed?

i didn't have enough cartel coins from my subscription to pay for it, so i couldn't access it without paying extra. maybe he wasn't focused on your situation.

OH. So you CHOSE to pay extra to use a feature because you CHOSE to spend all your cartel coins on other stuff, even as you were told this feature that required cartel coins was coming?

And you CHOSE not to wait for the next allotment.

And that's the game double-charging you HOW?

Edited by DarthTHC

i was equating the -word- piss with the -word- rain. this illustrates the use of -words- to mislead and manipulate people, which is what i am insinuating EA is doing, and which i am suggesting the poster i was responding to is supporting. this is not legalese. your whole comment is pointless. better luck next time.

"Update" vs. "feature" vs. "expansion." BWEA uses those words to mean different things. So rather than better luck next time, you need better reading comprehension.

Really? I used the barbershop. I don't recall paying a dime over my subscription to do it. Could you please point me to what i should be looking for on my credit card statement?

Those who have multiple toons will not be able to do the same. And being that leveling alts is the most engaging part of the game I would say that it is pay to play even if you are using your "free" coins.

OH. So you CHOSE to pay extra to use a feature because you CHOSE to spend all your cartel coins on other stuff, even as you were told this feature that required cartel coins was coming?

And that's EAWare's fault how?

I think the answer is somewhere along the lines of "because I wanted it for free regardless of what they said and I better get it or i'm unsubbing right nao and this game is gonna go down in flames without me and everyone because everyone agrees with me and anyone who doesn't is just an idiot fanboy troll!" but i'm just guessing.

Those who have multiple toons will not be able to do the same. And being that leveling alts is the most engaging part of the game I would say that it is pay to play even if you are using your "free" coins.

:eek:

Edited by Tekeda

I think the answer is somewhere along the lines of "because I wanted it for free regardless of what they said and I better get it or i'm unsubbing right nao and this game is gonna go down in flames without me and everyone because everyone agrees with me and anyone who doesn't is just an idiot fanboy troll!" but i'm just guessing.

You astound me, sir.

GJ.

Hey folks,

Since this blog I feel we have been more consistent in our messaging that you can expect things like cosmetic and convenience features (like Appearance Designer) are the types of things we usually place on the Cartel Market.

For Cartel Market items, you have access to purchase all of them, as do F2P players. What sets you folks apart is your monthly stipend which will allow you to purchase those features at no additional cost should you choose. I realize with your stipend, and with all the features we have, you may not be able to get it all at once but you can get it in time as a subscriber.

First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge.

so....not even a content vs features wording change where you could argue subscribers get all content for free and features are cartel. you try to throw in the idea of the cartel coins that are given to subscribers means that subs do have access to the features if they just wait for the coins.....too bad the blog post says unlimited access.

Edited by Skotal

Right... but you're still not forced into a double-charge. You CHOOSE to drain your account of cartel coins then you CHOOSE to get things NOW instead of waiting.

It's all on the player. It's not the game forcing a double-charge.

How many cartel coins would a subcriber have from day 1 if they didn't spend any? Over 6,000?

They could have done stuff like unlocked a species, unlocked some character perks, and more and still have thousands.

Lack of Cartel Coins and impatience is on the player, not the game.

Right... but you're still not forced into a double-charge. You CHOOSE to drain your account of cartel coins then you CHOOSE to get things NOW instead of waiting.

It's all on the player. It's not the game forcing a double-charge.

How many cartel coins would a subcriber have from day 1 if they didn't spend any? Over 6,000?

They could have done stuff like unlocked a species, unlocked some character perks, and more and still have thousands.

Lack of Cartel Coins and impatience is on the player, not the game.

Introducing a barbershop and then requiring subscribers to use Cartel coins is a double charge. End of story.

Edited by Tekeda

Well to be fair Darth they have now made so many features in game require CC's (which they are developing content with the grant in mind) that if someone wanted to partake in all of those they would be forced to pay out of pocket.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

And again just because it does not cost you money that is your play style not everyone's. A completionist I would assume is finding it very hard as a subscriber to not pay anything extra. Just because your play style/ preference is different does not change the fact that subs who want to experience "all content" are going to have to come out of pocket more than their sub fee and grant .

Introducing a barbershop and then requiring Cartel coins to use it is a double charge end of story.

It's only a double-charge if money leaves your possession twice.

I've used the barbershop. EA has my credit card on file. They can pull money whenever they want. Tell me how to find this "double charge" on my credit card statement.

I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way.

-eric

You don't know how but you're looking for ways to some day not make us feel like all you want is our money.

Alright, this I got to see.

Edited by Benfynyn

Well to be fair Darth they have now made so many features in game require CC's (which they are developing content with the grant in mind) that if someone wanted to partake in all of those they would be forced to pay out of pocket.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

And again just because it does not cost you money that is your play style not everyone's. A completionist I would assume is finding it very hard as a subscriber to not pay anything extra. Just because your play style/ preference is different does not change the fact that subs who want to experience "all content" are going to have to come out of pocket more than their sub fee and grant .

You are correct. There are a lot of options on which to use our cartel coins and more options are coming all the time. How horrible of the developers to add options on which to spend our cartel coin stipend. It would be much better if we had nothing to spend them on so they could be a valueless addition to our subscriptions. :rolleyes:

I get the completionist thing, but somehow I can't buy that getting the "I spent hundreds of dollars on gambling packs" title is completionist. Nor can I buy that "I changed every character's race to Cathar" is completionist.

Come on.

Introducing a barbershop and then requiring subscribers to use Cartel coins is a double charge. End of story.

Best quote I heard to describe this is:

"Bioware, there is nothing to small or pretty that they wont try to monetize it."

From here on out, just be prepared to have the market involved with everything the game does. We really should have already expected that but maybe not to this extent given past talks and developer blogs.

Now we know.

Edited by Quraswren

wasn't it something like 792 ccs to change a character? my subscription is 525 (i did the 2 month), so saving for one month would not have covered it. i have a total of 3 months of subscription since f2p started. i did not get any of the bonus coins from renewing my subscription when they switched to f2p because i didn't keep my subscription up at that time. in that time i purchased 1 set of armor that i think was 900ccs and the rocket boots. i'm pretty sure that's about it (but didn't keep that close of accounting). i fully admit that i chose the armor set over cathar. i don't think i knew what character changes would cost when i purchased it. i'm quite certain the cost was not advertised in game at that time, so i don't think it's fair to assume i had enough information to budget.

i did not use the term "double-charging." i think you're implying that cartel coins are given in a sufficient quantity to provide access to new content without paying more than your subscription fee. this may be true for you, but it is not true for everyone. my concern is with gating access through extra charges and a tendency to manipulate people. i am concerned that your comment about not having to pay extra is manipulative. maybe just a mistake.

Edited by curtkram

You are correct. There are a lot of options on which to use our cartel coins and more options are coming all the time. How horrible of the developers to add options on which to spend our cartel coin stipend. It would be much better if we had nothing to spend them on so they could be a valueless addition to our subscriptions. :rolleyes:

I get the completionist thing, but somehow I can't buy that getting the "I spent hundreds of dollars on gambling packs" title is completionist. Nor can I buy that "I changed every character's race to Cathar" is completionist.

Come on.

And how horrible to put out an "expansion" without a new race only to sell a new race a month later.

And also take note that this "content" update was issued in the middle of the month when alot of subscribers have spent their "free" coins.

Edited by Tekeda

You don't know how but you're looking for ways to some day not make us feel like all you want is our money.

Alright, this I got to see.

It's a business. Of course they want our money. I wouldn't have it any other way. We should pay for goods and services we find value in. This allows the provider to continue providing those goods and services.

A better thing to ask for is how they'll make us feel like we're getting better value for the money we do spend.

But that's their choice. If someone is an obsessive completionist, BWEA should kiss them on the lips.