Orange shells - how do they work?

Ok, while I'm not a new player, this has always bothered me and I still don't know the answers......

1) Are the orange gear items totally dependent on the mods, armourings and enhancements, or do they have some inherant fixed qualities like damage or armour rating?

IE Could I keep the first orange sabre I get right through the game wjile upgrading it periodically?

2) As My companion can wear both heavy armour and medium armour ... can I put him in a mesium piece and just upgrade it to heavy with a better armour mod?

many thanks.

O1) Are the orange gear items totally dependent on the mods, armourings and enhancements, or do they have some inherant fixed qualities like damage or armour rating?

IE Could I keep the first orange sabre I get right through the game wjile upgrading it periodically?

2) As My companion can wear both heavy armour and medium armour ... can I put him in a mesium piece and just upgrade it to heavy with a better armour mod?

1) Orange gear doesn't have any stats of their own (well ok, they have a bit of armour rating and force/tech power in case of weapons). But it's the same with every piece. So yes, you can use the same orange gear throughout the game if you so wish, upgrading the modifications is all you need to do.

2) You cannot change a medium armor equipment to heavy armor in any way. But let's say you have medium armor chestpiece, and you get a new armoring to it. Instead of replacing the previous armoring, rip it off the chestpiece and put into the chestpiece of your companion (if orange). If it was a heavy armor piece, it will still be that. The armor type is bound to the shell itself and cannot be modified in any way. However, "Adaptive" armor exists, which automatically tunes the armor to fit the highest armor profiency you have. So a piece that's medium to you would become heavy for said companion.

1) Orange gear doesn't have any stats of their own (well ok, they have a bit of armour rating and force/tech power in case of weapons). But it's the same with every piece. So yes, you can use the same orange gear throughout the game if you so wish, upgrading the modifications is all you need to do.

2) You cannot change a medium armor equipment to heavy armor in any way. But let's say you have medium armor chestpiece, and you get a new armoring to it. Instead of replacing the previous armoring, rip it off the chestpiece and put into the chestpiece of your companion (if orange). If it was a heavy armor piece, it will still be that. The armor type is bound to the shell itself and cannot be modified in any way. However, "Adaptive" armor exists, which automatically tunes the armor to fit the highest armor profiency you have. So a piece that's medium to you would become heavy for said companion.

What he said. There are some differences between weapon ratings if I recall correctly, but they are minor (for example: A Sniper can also use a blaster rifle, but he's apparantly better off using a sniper because they give more damage as the shell)

Thanks for the reply, but could you be a bit clearer? Both times you start off by saying one thing then quickly contradict yourself IE

1) Orange gear doesn't have any stats ..... except for armour rating :confused:

2) I get that English may not be your first language .... but this makes no sense that I can see......

Also, not interested in adaptive armour. It has its own rules, I know.

Basically, I got a medium armour piece I quit like for my heavy-armour wearing companion. He can wear it, but I'm wondering if I'm gimping him in some way.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply, but could you be a bit clearer? Both times you start off by saying one thing then quickly contradict yourself IE

1) Orange gear doesn't have any stats ..... except for armour rating :confused:

2) I get that English may not be your first language .... but this makes no sense that I can see......

Also, not interested in adaptive armour. It has its own rules, I know.

Basically, I got a medium armour piece I quit like for my heavy-armour wearing companion. He can wear it, but I'm wondering if I'm gimping him in some way.

Thanks in advance!

Orange gear may have a 'base' armor rating but it's always a level 1 base. You need to continue to upgrade the armor slot in order to up the armor value.

Wearing medium armor on a toon or companion that can wear heavy is gimping them. You can't turn a medium armor into heavy with mods, if that's what you're asking. You can put the exact same armor mod in both a heavy and medium armor piece, the heavy armor will always have a higher armor rating than the medium.

I'm just pulling numbers out of my backside but this is the basic idea:

Might 7 armor, armor rating of 46. You put that into a heavy chest and it gives that chest a 254 armor value. You put that same mod into a medium chest and it would give something like a 192 armor value. Put it into a light chest and it would be 158.

Edited by Ridickilis

Might 7 armor, armor rating of 46. You put that into a heavy chest and it gives that chest a 254 armor value. You put that same mod into a medium chest and it would give something like a 192 armor value. Put it into a light chest and it would be 158..

Aha! Thanks for that - that's what I wanted to know.

How about weapons? I've got an old sabre I liked the look of but its lvl 30 or something and I'm 55 now.

Edited by UltimateKrucible

Aha! Thanks for that - that's what I wanted to know.

How about weapons? I've got an old sabre I liked the look of but its lvl 30 or something and I'm 55 now.

If it's Orange or Purple modable, put in a new Hilt, Mod, and Enhancement and you're gold.

If it's Orange or Purple modable, put in a new Hilt, Mod, and Enhancement and you're gold.

Thanks again - yes, it's an orange one. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to sabres and the later ones start to get glowing hilts and spikes to reflect your 'leetness'.

Luke Skywalker never had no embellishments on his sabre, that's all I'm sayin. :D

Thanks again - yes, it's an orange one. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to sabres and the later ones start to get glowing hilts and spikes to reflect your 'leetness'.

Luke Skywalker never had no embellishments on his sabre, that's all I'm sayin. :D

I totally agree! :D I'm still using my 'Ancient Lightsaber' on my Jugg, the one we get on Korriban. Just keep the hilt, mods and enhancements up to date and it's just as good as any high level weapon.

I should add, the higher the hilt rating, the higher the base weapon damage will be.

Edited by Ridickilis

...Basically, I got a medium armour piece I quit like for my heavy-armour wearing companion. He can wear it, but I'm wondering if I'm gimping him in some way.

Thanks in advance!

Depends. Is the companion a tank? If so, (for example: Scourge), then yes you are gimping him because he will be taking more damage. If he is DPS, (for example: Rusk), then not so much as he isn't (shouldn't???) getting hit that much.

Having said that, any gimping being done is minimum if only one piece is "medium armor".

(You never mentioned your class, but you mentioned Luke so I'm guessing Jedi Knight ;), hence the companion names suggested.)

Depends. Is the companion a tank? If so, (for example: Scourge), then yes you are gimping him because he will be taking more damage. If he is DPS, (for example: Rusk), then not so much as he isn't (shouldn't???) getting hit that much.

Having said that, any gimping being done is minimum if only one piece is "medium armor".

(You never mentioned your class, but you mentioned Luke so I'm guessing Jedi Knight ;), hence the companion names suggested.)

No, it's a smuggler, and the companion is Corso. I want my crew to look like smugglers, not soldiers - and all the heavy armour really has 'military' feel to it, whereas the medium is a lot more casual.

No, it's a smuggler, and the companion is Corso. I want my crew to look like smugglers, not soldiers - and all the heavy armour really has 'military' feel to it, whereas the medium is a lot more casual.

Ahh, then use adaptive. Seriously. They can wear it too, you can get that casual look and the armor will 'adapt' to whatever the highest armor that toon/companion can wear. So Corso can still have heavy armor ratings while having a look you like better.

Edited by Ridickilis

Ahh, then use adaptive. Seriously. They can wear it too, you can get that casual look and the armor will 'adapt' to whatever the highest armor that toon/companion can wear. So Corso can still have heavy armor ratings while having a look you like better.

Yeah, think that's what I'll have to do. Hope I can pick up a few pieces on the cheap, though!

Thanks for the replies e'body - didn't want to post in General as I knew it'd be much more genial in here.

Interesting idea having the entire Smuggler crew look like "smugglers".

I went the other route. The Smuggler's crew is a rag-tag unit, each with their own distinct personalities and so each one got a "unique" look :).

My Trooper's squad though? This is Havoc Squad and we have a dress code! ;)

Returning player with a related question. Does anyone know if set bonuses are attached to the shell or the mod?

Starting with 2.0, set bonuses are attached to the armorings.

When you rip an armoring out of any piece of gear -- it will be bound to that specific piece. Ex. -- Armoring from the Rakata Boots would keep the set bonus, but you'd only be able to put that armoring into another pair of boots.

Aww, that hurt. Not a native English speaker, but an English major all the same... :cool:

Aww, that hurt. Not a native English speaker, but an English major all the same... :cool:

Don't let it bother you. I can almost guarantee you are a better English speaker than any of us are in whatever language is your native tongue.

If you have some CC spare, jump onto the market and pick up the Interstellar Privateer set, currently 80% off in the market. (it's 288 CC if I recall)

Otherwise, have a look at the Social sets. I have Corso in the Balmorran Resistance gear which is considerably better than having him look like a Jedi or Havoc reject.

Adaptive armor is good for that, either cartel market one or from a social vendor. However, having 1 or 2 pieces of gear from medium/light armor when you can wear heavy armor doesn't make a big difference. I actually have 1 piece of light armor on my jugg dps, because I really like the "starting outfit" of inquisitors (the black one with a skirt they use at some point of Korriban) but didn't have a inquisitor to wear the custom one (thinking of my inquisitors' personalities, none of them would wear it), so I bought the custom chest for my jugg with an adaptive boots and skirt that looked good with it. Haven't noticed it being a problem.

• 9 months later...
Starting with 2.0, set bonuses are attached to the armorings.

When you rip an armoring out of any piece of gear -- it will be bound to that specific piece. Ex. -- Armoring from the Rakata Boots would keep the set bonus, but you'd only be able to put that armoring into another pair of boots.

This was my question. I hate the look of the Classic/Basic/Elite/Ultimate gear. I would much rather use my adaptive armor - so I was planning on getting a Basic gear chest piece and ripping out the armour/mod/enhancement and putting it into my adaptive armour chest piece.

A Basic chest piece costs 150 commendations, but the gloves only cost 100. I was wondering, what was to keep me from taking the armour/mod/enhancement pieces from the gloves and put them in the chest of my adaptive armor? I could save 50 comms that way.

There are no set bonuses on Basic/Elite/Ultimate gear, only Classic (that I can see - which seems odd to me) so, is it possible for me to cross modify my armor like that? Or do I need to pony up the extra 50 comms for the chest piece to use chest armor?

Edited by KBowz

There are no set bonuses on Basic/Elite/Ultimate gear, only Classic (that I can see - which seems odd to me) so, is it possible for me to cross modify my armor like that? Or do I need to pony up the extra 50 comms for the chest piece to use chest armor?

First of all ... NICE NECRO!

To answer your question: if you want an Armoring to put in your chest piece, you need to buy a chest piece.

To answer your unasked question: if you want set bonuses beyond Classic Com gear, you have to get drops from operations. Working as intended, I believe.

Problem is: I'm a casual player with a family who needs my attention. I can only devote a decent chunk of time to play in the evening after putting everyone to bed - and even then I end up cutting into my own sleep time if i go late. I don't care for PVP, and can hardly find time for OPs or Flashpoints. So I don't expect to ever see Elite or Ultimate gear. I am getting my classic and basic commendations from dailies and story quests, and that is probably the best I'll see.

I'm really only here for the story, dailies get redundant (didn't I kill this guy yesterday?) but that does not mean I don't want good gear to make it all easier. Maybe in hopes that someday I can knock off these flashpoints I have in my quest log.

Here's another question tho', to follow the first - assuming I'll get enough commendations to suit myself up and have extra, can I buy gear for my companions (Like Kira) and rip out the armor/mods/enhancements and put them in my companion's orange gear too?

FYI: My main character is a Sentinel if that helps.

(Oh, and what is a Necro?)

Edited by KBowz