Running merc's

SerikFox

I fully understand the purpose of giving mercs hydraulic overrides, I fully understand the purpose of giving them electro net, but who honestly thought it was a good idea to give mercs electro net + hydraulic overrides? You can't catch them as a melee class. They can sit back and light you up, but you can't even get close. Sentinels can't even use force camo when they have electro net on, not that it would matter with stealth scan. The cd on electro net is nice and long, but the cd on hydraulic overrides isn't long at all. I'm not saying that they should be nerfed - I would rather give sentinels and other melee classes a way to catch them or survive their damage for that long at least. Like immunity to knockbacks temporarily or some sort of ranged stun. Guardians are okay because of saber reflect and other abilities, but sentinels have a severe disadvantage now, as if they didn't already have enough trouble catching snipers and sorcs. Now with snipers roll and sorcs bubble, it's often nearly impossible to kill any of these classes as a sentinel unless you can catch them at a bad moment. Other melee classes too, but especially sentinels, need some way to deal with the infinite ability to run away in pvp.

People whined and whined that they have no defense... so now they have defense.

Sent/mara also has a million ways to counter them and considering the CD on electronet... I'd still put my money on a sent/mara of equal skill.

You're supposed to switch to another target when you're electro netted because whoever netted you is unlikely to be dumb enough to let you catch up to him.

If there are no near by targets to attack, then you're pretty screwed. Usually there are someone close enough to hit instead, though.

You're new here aren't you?

Read through the class forums, they'll give you lots of options for dealing with Mercs and alot of others.

Never said I couldn't take them, rather that they're making it much more difficult to do as well in pvp as melee compared to playing as ranged. They're giving ranged classes more ways to run away than they are giving melee classes to catch them. Ranged classes already have a natural advantage due to the range; melee has to be able to keep up. And dealing with mercs isn't so much my problem considering I play my merc more than my sentinel in pvp anymore; I was speaking from both perspectives.

People whined and whined that they have no defense... so now they have defense.

Sent/mara also has a million ways to counter them and considering the CD on electronet... I'd still put my money on a sent/mara of equal skill.

It's the cd on hydraulic overrides that I say nay to, not electro net. Electro net was much needed, but they now have the best snare in the game, the most powerful knock-back, and the best immunity to physics. And heals. When I throw electro net on a sent they tend to die. The rest of the time it's not that hard to kite them. Sents have a lot of ways to counter mercs abilities, but they are lacking when it comes to catching mercs now.

If you can't take down a Merc as a Sentinel, you're doing it wrong. Mercs are definitely better post 2.0 and a well played one with all his cooldowns up can be a beast but Mercs still have to be played like a piano to be remotely decent. If even 1-2 of their cooldowns are down and the player is not a complete and utter expert with their Merc, they'll still melt like they did pre 2.0. I can sadly admit I would tear through my own level 55 Merc on my Level 55 Sentinel, keep in mind my Merc was my first main and by far the character I am most experienced in. Mercs aren't the free kills they were pre 2.0 but they're still not quite Ranked ready nor are they very hard to counter, unfortunately.

Electro Net is borderline 'Iwin' against any single individual in a good team, but because it's so powerful you'll almost never see it on you unless you're a healer. Melee getting owned by Electro Net is the last thing you're worried about. It's much better you get netted and die than have your normally indestructible Op healer netted and die horribly and now you're behind a healer. By the way, netting someone with a pull ability is a waste of time, because even if the Merc uses Hydralic Overrides, that guy will just grab any other guy to keep himself amused while he's netted.

"Waaah!!! A class that used to be a guaranteed kill for me, now might kill me 1 our of 10 times or evade me some of the time! Waaahhh!"

Look, it is not that hard to shut down a Merc. I play one myself, and even on my tank guardian I can kill them quite easily. You just need to get out of the pre 2.0 mindset of being able to slaughter every Commando you set your sights on. They can now put up a fight, deal with it, and be happy to know your class is still way more powerful, as whilst that commando is running, he can do barely any dps. He will have to stop running in order to cast, or use one of his most powerful cds on a long cooldown. In that time, leap him, interrupt again, stun, and interrupt. He will be hurting far more than you are. If he survives, chase him again, I guarantee he has no CDs left.

Marauders have an easy time of it. The Merc is still behind as he needs all his CDs to survive.

I knew this would happen any time that CMs and Mercs got new abilities. We have spent a year being free kills for every class, that when that fact changes slightly, people get upset. It is so hard to blame people though, they have just been used to 'See a Merc, jump him, smash him about, then leap to next kill.'

Never said I couldn't take them, rather that they're making it much more difficult to do as well in pvp as melee compared to playing as ranged. They're giving ranged classes more ways to run away than they are giving melee classes to catch them. Ranged classes already have a natural advantage due to the range; melee has to be able to keep up. And dealing with mercs isn't so much my problem considering I play my merc more than my sentinel in pvp anymore; I was speaking from both perspectives.

LOL Are you basically saying "I can take them out, but they just make it so darn difficult."

Dear eevs. Please nerf mercs so they just roll over and die without me having to chase them around.

kthxbai

mercs are not total wastes of space now.

get used to it

the sad part is that, its still garbage, only diference on 2.0 is that both the commando and Vanguard are now total garbage.

Edited by xxIncubixx

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

Melee has been better than range at the top end of PvP for like... the entire history of this game. Mercs and commandos in particular have had absolutely NO way to counter skilled melee prior to 2.0, now we have a chance for 9 seconds in every 90. ZOMG NERF.

Edited by Jherad

First of all your a sent! suck it up! the mara class can rip throu mercs just by trinkiting the net and popping the immunity ability you have, and force choking them where the use their HO. if they still kill you they deserve to. I would rather fight a merc than a good sniper anytime.

Now, since my main is a merc i know how to as i know what they do. Main thing is don't move don't even try, if your fighting a merc and he nets you then stop and use your defenses. heal, force shroud, sabre ward, force barrier, sonic barrier! or just LOS quick if you can whatever you have to negate it or just stay still because it does tripple damage if your moving and the merc will throw everything at you while your in it. in a bolstered warzone or if equally geared, a merc will not kill you in the elctro net they don't have the burst for it. and once your in their face after-woulds they are soft meat same as before. I have a merc, a jug and a sorc and my jug has never had a problem cleaning mercs because i know that when im netted a lot of DPS is gunna come at me so i sabre ward, then reflect, then sabre throw or force choke if i can and then hit them back 3 times harder no net needed and im not even geared on my jug.

But remember if a merc knocks you back block whats coming next.

and if they have a big cog around their feet just CC them it easy enough.

Otherwise stop targeting mercs, would they target a darkness/deception sin? not if they have sense. rock paper scissors mate you know how these things work

electronet is not an iwin button.

it does not stop your teammates from healing you, guarding you, taunting your opponents, pulling you, etc.

PvP does not take place in a vaccuum

The reason why healers don't die easily is because they can move. The enemy team should already be doing everything you said on their healers all the time anyway.

Electro Net is Iwin versus healers because now they cannot move and the only way out of it is Force Barrier. If your team can't kill an immobile healer, they weren't going to kill anybody to begin with.