Eric Musco please enlight me

Warrgames

Again I was just pointing out what was truth at one point b/c both sides of the argument have validity. What I posted was the way it was originally sold to the customers and advertised as. What they are doing now is what they have changed it to at present. You are right they can do what ever they want it is their intellectual property and as you pointed out the EULA is a nasty little bugger that allows them to change the rules of the game at anytime.

It still does not change the fact that they originally sold subs in the manner I quoted.

No, the other side has no validity. As I just pointed out, they even state in that press release you linked that subs will get all features "as they do now". So any new features are not covered in that blanket statement. So if you want to stick with the old wording, they're correct in their terminology and the complainers don't have a leg to stand on, or if you go to the new wording, the coins are complimentary, thus they are free, thus you can unlock the cathar race for free.

So, pick your poison. You can't just "buffet argument" this one and pick the "grants" from the old one and ignore the rest of it. No, either use the entire link you have and you'll see the naysayers argument is invalid or pick the current wording and, once again, the naysayers argument is invalid.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7068

For non-recurring Subscriptions, the Rewards program works as follows:

60 Days Fixed-time: First Reward Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active, second grant at 30 days.

Coins Rewarded: 525 each month for 2 months.

Recurring Subscriptions work as follows:

30 Days recurring subscription:

Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active.

Coins rewarded: 500 every 30 days

Your payment method will be charged every 30 days and your reward coins for that month will be added to your account as soon as possible after that.

90 days recurring Subscription:

As above, additional grants at 30 days and 60 days.

Coins rewarded: 550 every 30 days

Your payment method will be charged every 90 days and your first set of reward coins for that Subscription will be added to your account as soon as possible afterwards.

180 days recurring Subscription

As for 30 days with additional grants at 30,60,90, 120 and 150 days.

Coins rewarded: 600 every 30 days.

Your payment method will be charged every 180 days and your first set of reward coins for that Subscription will be added to your account as soon as possible afterwards.

Please note that the numbers mentioned above are purely subscription based rewards and do not include any additional coins that may be due to you from the Friends of SWTOR program or from having a Security Key attached to your account.

This is because your Security key grant and Friends Referral rewards are not granted at the same time as your Subscriber Rewards.

that's not a press release, it's the agreement between the subscriber and EA from the source. is the question still whether the stuff we pay for is free? you stick you head up a cow's *** and call it steak, but it's still just ********. i hope that's readable after the censor.

or this one http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6823

What access will I have to future game content?

Access to future story content and new levels will be determined on a per release basis. It’s possible that some future game content may only be purchased with Cartel Coins. Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players may spend Cartel Coins to unlock access to individual features or areas. As new content is introduced, we will make every effort to let you know how you can gain access to that content if you are not currently a Subscriber.

which suggests they are probably only interested in releasing new content through the cartel market, or this one

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6469

What are the benefits of a subscription account?

In addition to unrestricted access to the full game and features there will be several benefits to a subscription account, including:

Unlimited access to regular Game Updates such as new Nightmare Mode content, a brand new Operation on the planet of Asation, a new Heroic mission series on the prison planet of Belsavis, and a brand new Warzone for our PvP lovers. Subscribers will also receive an automatic monthly grant of Cartel Coins for use in our new Cartel Market.

The Cartel Market will offer a variety of in-game items including cosmetically customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience. Subscribers will receive Cartel Coin rewards for every past and ongoing month of subscription.

For more information visit: http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE

which is probably the more controversial one that suggest subscribers get unlimited access, but perhaps isn't clear on what we get access to.

Edited by curtkram

Is there a point some where?? I mean seriously?? What content do we not have access to??

It says updates and features.

The new appearance designer is a FEATURE. Open your eyes and read. They went back on what they originally said.

How about I put a little spin on it... you get 500 coins a month. Those coins can do anything in the CM and customization given enough time. So, technically, your sub does give you access to "ALL CONTENT & FEATURES" assuming you save enough coins. So, technically they're not lying... are they?

Going to have to quote myself here, because the both of you are still refusing to read.

Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge

Well, having basic character customization features costing CC isn't exactly free is it? No. Oh, but before you go and drag out the dead horse of "you get the free coins each month" lets take a look at what else it says. Unlimited. Forcing people to wait to build up enough coins to unlock Cathar, or customize this character, and then the next, as you have suggested "over time if you had the patience" is by definition limiting isn't it?

No, it does refer to the word "grant" in the original press release. However, calling them "grant" doesn't support the claims that the coins have cost value from the subscriber one way or the other so it gives the "we pay for the coins" side of the argument no value. In fact, grants are typically considered free as it's some form of monetary currency given to a person that is not designed to be repaid back.

Also, it clearly states on the press release that users will get all features in game "as they do now". Now being before the CM, before the Cathar, and before Customization so there's nothing in that press release which would state that you will get all features in game, for free, as a sub forever and ever for as long as you sub. It clearly states "as they do now."

Yes I am aware of that.. I never denied that.. My point was, the word complementary is used else where on the website and it is a little odd to attempt to prove your point with something as meaningless as a press release..

Starting today, you’ll be earning rewards as part of our new rewards program, making your current subscription more valuable than ever. Current and lapsed subscribers will earn 150 Cartel Coins for every paid month prior to today (July 31, 2012) and then 200 Cartel points from August 1st until the Free-to-Play option launches. For those who purchased the Collector’s Edition, we have an additional bonus reward of 1000 Cartel Coins for you. With Cartel Coins you can purchase convenience items, boosts, visually unique gear, collectibles, and more. The new Cartel Market gives you the option to add to your game play experience with items that fit your play style and allow you to customize your character.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

There is the section from the original press release discussing the Cartel Coins.. That is all it says.. It says nothing about 6 month subscribers getting more coins than lesser subscriptions.. The information in the press release is incomplete and essentially useless..

http://www.swtor.com/free

That is the page that advertises the different plans.. The word complementary is all over the place.. He is just trying to get away from the word complementary..

To me the grant we get is allowing us to still get all of the things in 2.1 for free.. It is all a matter of how you manage your grant.. If someone spends their coins on packs.. They may have to wait to get some things, but it still free.. There isn't a single subscriber that will have to fork out any additional funds beyond their subscription to get anything that will be added to the game in 2.1... :)

It says updates and features..

Again.. What are we not getting for free.. Your post is moot unless you can actually show that we are not getting something free.. There isn't a single subscriber that will have to shell out a single penny beyond their subscription to get anything in 2.1.. That is just a fact.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

No, the other side has no validity. As I just pointed out, they even state in that press release you linked that subs will get all features "as they do now". So any new features are not covered in that blanket statement. So if you want to stick with the old wording, they're correct in their terminology and the complainers don't have a leg to stand on, or if you go to the new wording, the coins are complimentary, thus they are free, thus you can unlock the cathar race for free.

So, pick your poison. You can't just "buffet argument" this one and pick the "grants" from the old one and ignore the rest of it. No, either use the entire link you have and you'll see the naysayers argument is invalid or pick the current wording and, once again, the naysayers argument is invalid.

And again I guess we will just have to end this by saying we will have to agree to disagree.

Subscription – A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, Subscribers will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins*, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.

You can pick a line out of the sentence and try to use it out of context, it does not help your argument.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7068

For non-recurring Subscriptions, the Rewards program works as follows:

60 Days Fixed-time: First Reward Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active, second grant at 30 days.

Coins Rewarded: 525 each month for 2 months.

Recurring Subscriptions work as follows:

30 Days recurring subscription:

Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active.

Coins rewarded: 500 every 30 days

Your payment method will be charged every 30 days and your reward coins for that month will be added to your account as soon as possible after that.

90 days recurring Subscription:

As above, additional grants at 30 days and 60 days.

Coins rewarded: 550 every 30 days

Your payment method will be charged every 90 days and your first set of reward coins for that Subscription will be added to your account as soon as possible afterwards.

180 days recurring Subscription

As for 30 days with additional grants at 30,60,90, 120 and 150 days.

Coins rewarded: 600 every 30 days.

Your payment method will be charged every 180 days and your first set of reward coins for that Subscription will be added to your account as soon as possible afterwards.

Please note that the numbers mentioned above are purely subscription based rewards and do not include any additional coins that may be due to you from the Friends of SWTOR program or from having a Security Key attached to your account.

This is because your Security key grant and Friends Referral rewards are not granted at the same time as your Subscriber Rewards.

that's not a press release, it's the agreement between the subscriber and EA from the source. is the question still whether the stuff we pay for is free? you stick you head up a cow's *** and call it steak, but it's still just ********. i hope that's readable after the censor.

You're arguing whether reward means free or not. Well, I looked it up and rewards are things given. If they're given, they're not sold. Hence I can argue that the coins are still listed as "free" because they aren't sold.

or this one http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6823

What access will I have to future game content?

Access to future story content and new levels will be determined on a per release basis. It’s possible that some future game content may only be purchased with Cartel Coins. Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players may spend Cartel Coins to unlock access to individual features or areas. As new content is introduced, we will make every effort to let you know how you can gain access to that content if you are not currently a Subscriber.

which suggests they are probably only interested in releasing new content through the cartel market

such a blatant lie. For one, you don't know what their "only interested" in. Secondly, they've released the Gree Event and new operations, FP's, a WZ, a new companion, new armor sets, mounts, pets, etc. after the CM so clearly their record shows they are releasing things outside of the CM

or this one

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6469

What are the benefits of a subscription account?

In addition to unrestricted access to the full game and features there will be several benefits to a subscription account, including:

Unlimited access to regular Game Updates such as new Nightmare Mode content, a brand new Operation on the planet of Asation, a new Heroic mission series on the prison planet of Belsavis, and a brand new Warzone for our PvP lovers. Subscribers will also receive an automatic monthly grant of Cartel Coins for use in our new Cartel Market.

The Cartel Market will offer a variety of in-game items including cosmetically customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience. Subscribers will receive Cartel Coin rewards for every past and ongoing month of subscription.

For more information visit: http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE

which is probably the more controversial one that suggest subscribers get unlimited access, but perhaps isn't clear on what we get access to.

Not that controversial unless you really thought that anything outside of cosmetics was going to be given to you as a sub. That's not the case. As a sub, yes, I would unsub if I didn't get new operations, or game mechanics that were beyond "fluff" unless I used CC's. But Cathar and customization are still fluff. They have nothing to do with game-mechanics. They change appearances, that's it. Edited by Lostpenguins

And again I guess we will just have to end this by saying we will have to agree to disagree.

Subscription – A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, Subscribers will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins*, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.

You can pick a line out of the sentence and try to use it out of context, it does not help your argument.

Nor does it help you.. Because you are ignoring the free cartel coins.. Even though you have to use them to buy the cosmetic fluff that isn't really content.. Bioware still gave you those free of charge to do just that.. So again.. There is no violation of anything..

http://www.swtor.com/free/

This is an advertisement.. It has more legal weight than your press release which means nothing..

Again.. What are we not getting for free.. You post is moot unless you can actually show that we are not getting something free..

so, makeb was not free. it was an expansion that cost rl money. the next update will include the cathar race which will be introduced through the cartel market and cost money. the barber shop is going to cost cartel coins, which are purchased with money. content introduced through the cartel market costs money to obtain. EA doesn't put new items like unlocks or cartel packs on the gtn. people who spend money on the cartel market put them there. stuff that is released only through the cartel market and then resold on the gtn still costs rl money to the person who originally purchased it. it's not free.

this is what the website says:

Enjoy access to the full spectrum of character races in the game – Create the character that fits your personality best.

eric has already told us they are going back on that, and access to the full spectrum of character races will no longer be available to subscribers. didn't he say earlier in this thread that, instead of keeping this as part of the agreement for a subscription, they're going to update the website?

dyes will be craftable, so that's cool.

Boys it's been real and it's been fun but it has not been real fun.

I have work to do so I hope you two have a great day. Keep up the good fight you guys are trying to wage.

Have a good day at work.. Take care.. :)

It says updates and features.

The new appearance designer is a FEATURE. Open your eyes and read. They went back on what they originally said.

Going to have to quote myself here, because the both of you are still refusing to read.

Sigh... "they aren't wrong in saying unlimited access" because you currently have unlimited access. Eric even said that when patch 2.1 drops they will be changing wording where they need to. And, seriously, you can't spin that "unlimited nonsense". Do I have unlimited access to repairs? No. Not if I have 0 credits. So, by your logic it's not really unlimited either, is it? If I clear an operation of all the bosses and I zone back in, do I have unlimited access to the operation? No. I'm limited to killing that boss on that difficulty once a week. That's not unlimited either!

Go ahead and champion those causes as well, buddy.

Roughly HALF of the dyes coming in 2.1 are not going to be available in the CM.... only in game. :eek:;):)

Source: http://dulfy.net/2013/05/01/swtor-patch-2-1-dyes-modules-qa-with-bioware/

Over HALF will be available exclusively from the CM. Also, this is the line I think you need to be worried about:

There will be 48 different Dye Modules at release. 25 will be available through the Cartel Market, 3 will be available from the Security Key and Collector’s Edition vendors, and 20 more will be available through the crafting system (schematics for some of which will be found on Reputation vendors).

I'm gonna bet you that some of those "reputation vendors" will be the Cartel Market Rep ones.

Again, basic customization is one thing Bioware should NOT be screwing their customers on. It's an activity for many players and charging for it is simply greedy.

I'm not picking anything out of context. It clearly says "to all game content as our current subscribers do now." Is their anything at the time of press release that you had access to that you no longer do now? No. Do you know of anything in the game back then will be taken away from subs come the release of 2.1? No. There isn't anything. There are new fluff features that players did not have back then that will be released that require some CC's. So it's right. The fact that you are misinterpreting that above wording you quoted isn't a disagreement, it's a misunderstanding on your side.

The only line that really follows suit would be: "Let us agree to disagree no matter how wrong you are."

Again.. What are we not getting for free.. Your post is moot unless you can actually show that we are not getting something free.. There isn't a single subscriber that will have to shell out a single penny beyond their subscription to get anything in 2.1.. That is just a fact.. :)

Read it again. It says UNLIMITED access to updates & FEATURES. The appearance designer is a feature. It cost you cartel coins. Having only your monthly grant to use for it or cathar or anything else by definition, since you guys love those, makes it limited. Either we are limited in that we have to bank coins to get it all, or limited in having to only get some now, some with later grants. But the point stands, a subscriber is being limited and/or is being charged if he has to use additional cartel coins beyond the grant as opposed to in-game currency.

This is why many subscribers here are not happy. They are going back against what they originally told us would be the value of being a subscriber.

did it say unlimited access to repair somewhere?

ThePedigree is trying to say that unlimited access to customization is limited by the number of CC's you have. That once you run out of CC's, you no longer have unlimited access. Thus, the feature is not unlimited.

By that same logic, repairing (an in-game feature) is not unlimited as it's limited by the number of in-game credits you have.

Basically, I'm mocking ThePedigrees argument. I'm playing Shroedinger's Cat to his Quantum Mechanics theory.

Sigh... "they aren't wrong in saying unlimited access" because you currently have unlimited access. Eric even said that when patch 2.1 drops they will be changing wording where they need to. And, seriously, you can't spin that "unlimited nonsense". Do I have unlimited access to repairs? No. Not if I have 0 credits. So, by your logic it's not really unlimited either, is it? If I clear an operation of all the bosses and I zone back in, do I have unlimited access to the operation? No. I'm limited to killing that boss on that difficulty once a week. That's not unlimited either!

Go ahead and champion those causes as well, buddy.

You guys love beating your definitions into the ground, while defended the use of the word complimentary as a semantic. Don't like having your tactic used against you, huh?

Your access to that content is unlimited to those things because you don't have to pull our your wallet to buy more CC's to access it. That is the point.

Read it again. It says UNLIMITED access to updates & FEATURES. The appearance designer is a feature. It cost you cartel coins. Having only your monthly grant to use for it or cathar or anything else by definition, since you guys love those, makes it limited. Either we are limited in that we have to bank coins to get it all, or limited in having to only get some now, some with later grants. But the point stands, a subscriber is being limited and/or is being charged if he has to use additional cartel coins beyond the grant as opposed to in-game currency.

This is why many subscribers here are not happy. They are going back against what they originally told us would be the value of being a subscriber.

Great reply!!!

Wouldn't repair bots be considered content or features?? I think that is his point.. :)

ok. don't entirely see how it's related, but i would expand on that point by saying that i bought a repair droid through the cartel market for a reasonable amount of in-game credits. i did not spend cartel coins for the repair droid. this was introduced into the game in such a way that it was available to subscribers without restricting it to cash-purchase only. that is a good thing in my opinion.

as a side note it does not work anymore because, as was suggested, i can't afford my repairs right now :(

You guys love beating your definitions into the ground, while defended the use of the word complimentary as a semantic. Don't like having your tactic used against you, huh?

Your access to that content is unlimited to those things because you don't have to pull our your wallet to buy more CC's to access it. That is the point.

No. If you want to throw the word "unlimited" around, you have to see if the definition applies in all scenarios. You can't have it defined in your parameters by the use of CC coins.

You aren't playing good semantics because I define the word for complimentary and it fits all examples in this game. You haven't found a way to take the word "complimentary" and it's defined meaning, and used it against me, as I just did.

Besides, you have unlimited access the Kiosk. You can click it all you want, and it will load up for you. If you ran out of in-game credits (and it took in-game credits) that would be the same thing as running out of CC's in terms of "unlimited access".

Besides, didn't they say they will go back and change wording where they need to. You're arguing against terminology that is true and correct as the current state of the game is.

This was foretold by many subscribers, many who have left, when F2P and the Cartel Market was announced and was my point in this post. Future content, whether it be fluff as some call it, or not, will all be paid. There will no longer be unlimited access to updates and features unless you consider after you pay for it, you have access to it and yes, they will change the wording, probably very soon, to specify exactly what subscribers get. I love the game and I don't mind paying but people who can't see that everything from here on out will be paid content are fooling themselves.

All this garbage aside, it comes down to customer service. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how a business is profitable and that comes from customers being satisfied. The issue here isn't just THIS issue. It's every other issue + this one. The fact is on these forums it's always the same people counter arguing the people with complaints. I constantly will see new faces pop in here with an agreeing opinion on something then the same people will bash it down... every time. Considering numbers, since it's always the same people counter arguing those with opinions that are unhappy, I will assume here that there are more people (forum wise) that are unhappy.

Now if those individuals who feel the need to counter argue everyone's opinion when it is a negative one would just do so once so we can stop redundancy in the forums (because after the first time, we get what your opinion is, you don't need to justify it more then that I promise). I mean majority of people with opinions here will post and then just leave, and maybe sometimes post back to one of those individuals who want to continuously say their over said opinion. Now it's ok , everyone is entitled to their opinion as everyone says here, but saying it once is enough. And honestly, BW will be able to gauge where everyone is at with a certain update if people would just post once and be done with it. (Now posting to refer to a whole different point! That's fine, but when I read the same garbage by someone 3, then 4, then 5 times to 5 different people who have a differing opinion... yeah get a life.)

Ok, aside from that, back to the customer service deal... Yeah people aren't happy. So a business should find a middle ground to appease that side. A lot of people are saying "IT'S A BUSINESS" well yeah it is and a business makes money through its customer service. Therefore, shouldn't BW always ask themselves when coming to this type of decision "Well will this make any portion of my player base unhappy?" What % of your customer base is it ok to say "Well that's a small enough # to go ahead with it."

When it came to this issue, that's probably what they asked themselves. The thing is, time doesn't erase the other things people might have been frustrated over. So throwing out a bunch of decisions that have constantly frustrated portions of the player base will always be a liability to a business. Justifying not creating a customization feature that involves hair/beard/eyes etc. for ingame credits (which is a small thing yes, but added to every other small thing it becomes bigger, no?) by saying this is a business is not a valid argument. At a business stand point in terms of customer service, as stated above, you find the middle ground so you don't overly frustrate people. Adding hair/beard/eyes etc. for ingame credits will alleviate a lot of this frustration that has been built up from other decisions (poor or not) that others might have had a negative opinion about.

Now, if I was a business owner I would look at that and say, "Yeah that's a good idea." Why? Because you will still profit from race/gender changes. And (assuming that the price of the barbershop isn't ridiculous) it will be a minimal amount of CCs so they won't be making a big profit on those transactions anyway. You know what would make them profit? Someone looking at game reviews and seeing that BW is really trying to make the game more enjoyable through quality of life changes that don't require real life money transactions and then they resub for it. That will make them more money then this poor excuse for a barber shop that honestly will require such an inconsequential amount of CCs that they should honestly just make it for ingame credits ( in terms of hairs and eyes) and stem the flow of negativity.

ok. don't entirely see how it's related, but i would expand on that point by saying that i bought a repair droid through the cartel market for a reasonable amount of in-game credits. i did not spend cartel coins for the repair droid. this was introduced into the game in such a way that it was available to subscribers without restricting it to cash-purchase only. that is a good thing in my opinion.

as a side note it does not work anymore because, as was suggested, i can't afford my repairs right now :(

No, I'm not talking about field repair droids.

This is what ThePedigree said:

"Read it again. It says UNLIMITED access to updates & FEATURES. The appearance designer is a feature. It cost you cartel coins. Having only your monthly grant to use for it or cathar or anything else by definition, since you guys love those, makes it limited. Either we are limited in that we have to bank coins to get it all, or limited in having to only get some now, some with later grants. But the point stands, a subscriber is being limited and/or is being charged if he has to use additional cartel coins beyond the grant as opposed to in-game currency."

Now let me change the wording using repair droids and in-game credits:

"Read it again. It says UNLIMITED access to updates & FEATURES. The repair feature designer is a feature. It cost you in-game credits. Having only your amount of in-game credits to use for it or purchases on the gtn or anything else by definition, since you guys love those, makes it limited. Either we are limited in that we have to earn in-game credits to get it all, or limited in having to only get some now, some with later earnings of in-game credits. But the point stands, a subscriber is being limited and/or is being charged if he has to use additional in-game credits beyond what he currently has."

My point:

The Kiosk is limited by a free-value CC given to you as a complimentary gift.

The Repair droid is limited by a free-value in-game currency given to you through various in-game means.

Saying that the use of the word "unlimited" is only referring to CC coins or not. That's putting parameters on what is being said and confining the wording strictly for his benefit of the argument.