Why are people against a LFG Tool

Enistre

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So yes, you ARE arguing against irrational people.

Which is what makes the conversation so frustrating. WoW's implementation wasn't perfect and could be improved upon hugely. Instead of that conversation, we get people sticking a finger in each ear, yelling 'LALALARUINSCOMMUNITIESLALALANINJASLALALA' and left with an LFG tool that was cutting edge a decade ago.

Step 2: This is gonna blow your mind.... there is a search window, type in a planet or Republic Fleet and boom, LF EXTREME!!!!!!!

It's buggy and doesn't work when I do it. And if it doesn't work when I do it, I bet it doesn't work when a lot of people do it.

I don't understand the argument. A LFG tool would not be any less social than how things are now.

The argument, is that it prevents people from having to talk with one another to form their groups, and once the group is made, if you like them, you add them to your friends list.

This is reasonable, but if you take a LFG Tool, that is server side only, your point is mute.

Spamming LF HEALER FOR SUCH AND SUCH FP in General is not being social, and once they respond: I'll do your instance, invite me~

Guess what? That's exactly what the tool does, without the General Spamming, without the sitting in the Space Station doing nothing, but watching General Chat Spam waiting for that special some one who's paying attention, and it saves General Chat for people who actually want to use it.

Please stop saying this is a bad idea. The opinion that it takes away from the social aspect of the game, is bad.

Because of lot of old school players have this idealic, rose tainted view of past "community" that in my personal opinion never really existed. They think they'll be able to have some recourse to shunning people who ninja loot and such. It's one of those MMO urban myths that doesn't go away. When I'm online I want to play, not spam for a group, so I'm all for an LFG and cross-server instancing.

Edited by Rikalonius

Otherwise known as nostalgia. That particular mental phenomenon specifically makes you remember past activities you were involved in as being far more socially connected than they really were. It's the mind's coping mechanism for isolation and loneliness.

So yes, you ARE arguing against irrational people.

Much more betterer articulated than the way I said it. :jawa_tongue:

Which is what makes the conversation so frustrating. WoW's implementation wasn't perfect and could be improved upon hugely. Instead of that conversation, we get people sticking a finger in each ear, yelling 'LALALARUINSCOMMUNITIESLALALANINJASLALALA' and left with an LFG tool that was cutting edge a decade ago.

SWTOR's community is packed to the brim with socially isolated, really lonely players, which is why there's such a big nostalgia push on these boards.

Here is my response why I am against a tool exactly the same as current Dungeon Finder in WoW.

When I originally played wow vanilla -> start of cata I loved the forced interraction, yes I had to spend 15minutes+ Forming a group and getting to the dungeon (sometimes more, sometimes less) but it FORCED interaction from other players.

Why is this good? I learnt and kept playing with the people I enjoyed interacting with, and they did with me. At the start I was a noob, but then I got better, but how good I was didn't really affect how many people liked me, versus those that didn't. It forced interraction which created a community.

Versus what happend with me a couple months into cata when I thought i'd come back. All my friends had left so i started leveling and dungeoning again, I would get instantly into a dungeon, sure that is a bonus on a limited time schedule, but the downside of it was people just did not give a stuff about it in the slightest, it was common for people just to drop out and a new player drop into the dungeon several times, especially if it was my first time tanking something.

And even a very good tank like myself, if you ask "Should I know something about this boss" common response "just pull" you pull, die to a mechanic that you learn quickly after 1 wipe, but sometimes even the whole party will just leave because they can't be stuffed running back.

Now maybe, maybe, some people prefer the whole just join and not give a stuff about the dungeon. Myself? I like to be challenged, and I like the idea of going in and doing something for the story and atmosphere and working together as a team (the whole reason I play an MMO as aside from a single player RPG, which I used to love).

No insta-dungeons means people care about the run more, and they care about the people your doing it with, your forced to interract with people more, which builds your community as you go.

That is my quick un-checked response. I'll Edit this if I get time, but at the moment i'm at work (aus)

To me, dungeons essentially went from being a great way to group together, and being involved with other people, to a random selection of avatars that could either play good or bad and I would not see or care about them again. Sometimes I got lucky and got good ones, sometimes bad ones, sometimes normal ones.

I was a bit surprised there as no LFG tool. As someone who played WoW from launch (ok, well 4 days later when the server was fixed) not having a LFG sucked. People spammed trade because it had the most reach vs general (all major cities vs one) and if you wanted to do a instance, you had to sit in a capital and wait. Yes there are guilds and friend lists, but it does not always cut it. The swtor LFG "tool" isn't so much a tool as it is a flag you can put up with a few characters, which becomes irrelevant when 95% of the population doesn't use, known, or care about it. Plus it is a bit awkward to do a /who on someone who responds with a "please invite" to check what their class/role is.

Here is my response why I am against a tool exactly the same as current Dungeon Finder in WoW.

When I originally played wow vanilla -> start of cata I loved the forced interraction, yes I had to spend 15minutes+ Forming a group and getting to the dungeon (sometimes more, sometimes less) but it FORCED interaction from other players.

Why is this good? I learnt and kept playing with the people I enjoyed interacting with, and they did with me. At the start I was a noob, but then I got better, but how good I was didn't really affect how many people liked me, versus those that didn't. It forced interraction which created a community.

Versus what happend with me a couple months into cata when I thought i'd come back. All my friends had left so i started leveling and dungeoning again, I would get instantly into a dungeon, sure that is a bonus on a limited time schedule, but the downside of it was people just did not give a stuff about it in the slightest, it was common for people just to drop out and a new player drop into the dungeon several times, especially if it was my first time tanking something.

And even a very good tank like myself, if you ask "Should I know something about this boss" common response "just pull" you pull, die to a mechanic that you learn quickly after 1 wipe, but sometimes even the whole party will just leave because they can't be stuffed running back.

Now maybe, maybe, some people prefer the whole just join and not give a stuff about the dungeon. Myself? I like to be challenged, and I like the idea of going in and doing something for the story and atmosphere and working together as a team (the whole reason I play an MMO as aside from a single player RPG, which I used to love).

No insta-dungeons means people care about the run more, and they care about the people your doing it with, your forced to interract with people more, which builds your community as you go.

That is my quick un-checked response. I'll Edit this if I get time, but at the moment i'm at work (aus)

Your problem here, is that the LFG tool used to be server-wide specifically when it very first came out, and it offered no less social interaction than the 15 minutes it took you for form a group.

Once in a group, with the LFG tool, you could chat it up with people all you want. Like-wise, when you came back to WoW? The second problem is, the dungeons have become so simplistic, everything is a tank and spank. You only did need to just pull. That's not the LFG tool's fault, that's the dungeon difficulties fault.

Also, I think people begging an MMO community to meet their social needs status quo should be forced to spend time with -real- people outside of a game. I think the MMO experience, for these social aspect begging people, should be forced to socially interact more... With real people, so they don't need it so bad in game.

Go play wow a few weeks and you know why it is a bad idea to implement such a tool. Vanila wow --> best MMO ever (together with ultima), WOTLK wow ---> worst MMO ever.

I thought it was an awesoem addition to WoW. Sorry. I did play in vanilla. I even had a guild, but I came to WoW about 6 months in, and most people were already higher levels, so trying to find a group sucked. I would normally just ending up waiting till someone could run me through it. Even in SWTOR, my friends who got in on day 3 of early access were spamming for a Black Talon run for n hour before I said, hey, I'll come run you through it. Higher levels running lower levels through the content is not what it was designed for.

To me, dungeons essentially went from being a great way to group together, and being involved with other people, to a random selection of avatars that could either play good or bad and I would not see or care about them again. Sometimes I got lucky and got good ones, sometimes bad ones, sometimes normal ones.

Then you can stick with spamming chat and let the rest of us use a LFD and do what we want while we wait.

I don't mind a cool LFG tool in an MMO, as long as a) it's NOT cross server and b) you don't get ported to an instance.

Getting ported to an instance wouldn't be a problem in this since they are all in the same room anyway.

Edited by SDCowboy

The LFD tool in WoW is a huge success that millions of players love, so that's not going to help your case.

Ok it is an success that people randomly insult others in such groups?

It is an success that people randomly kick others in such groups because of loot, dps meters....?

That people ninja every item they can get, while those who need it cant get it?

A success that nobody talks in such groups anymore, that the game feels like a singleplayer game now?

Dude your definition of success is kinda funny, but sad too.

which one are you talking about? the old one where it was not a auto finder or the newer one? if its the old one then that is fine but the auto finder then NO it makes people lazy and then they drop out really fast if you fail on the first boss because they know they can just queue again in a few mins i hate how Wow become so lazy LFG channel all the way

Getting pored to an instance wouldn't be a problem in this since they are all in the same room anyway.

And thank goodness for that. Because I so love the, elevator, run to ship, fly to destination, run to elevator, run to shuttle, shuttle to planet mechanic that SWTOR has going.

It is an success that people randomly kick others in such groups because of loot, dps meters....?

A success that nobody talks in such groups anymore, that the game feels like a singleplayer game now?

Again, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. You can still group with other like minded people that don't want to use the LFD if you don't like it.

Oh, that neeeeever happened before the LFG tool. :rolleyes:

I've had more than one tank leave because they weren't willing to work with the group, and when a tank left in vanilla or BC, pretty much everyone else did to, because it's going to take an hour to find another tank.

I like what was said above, if you need an MMO to fill your social needs, you've got bigger problems than an LFG tool. Let me clue some of you in, and MMO doesn't mean forced interaction. It means that a massive amount of players can play in a persistent world. It doesn't and never has meant "forced socialization." 70% of my guild are real life friends, and still sometimes they aren't on, or are not in a position to run something, and i don't personally want to waste all the time I have, because I have work and family duties, searching for online friends. I want to do the content and gear up my dude.

I think the whole community thing is just a red herring. The people who want these tools probably have more social lives than those who don't.

Edited by Rikalonius

I thought it was an awesoem addition to WoW. Sorry. I did play in vanilla. I even had a guild, but I came to WoW about 6 months in, and most people were already higher levels, so trying to find a group sucked. I would normally just ending up waiting till someone could run me through it. Even in SWTOR, my friends who got in on day 3 of early access were spamming for a Black Talon run for n hour before I said, hey, I'll come run you through it. Higher levels running lower levels through the content is not what it was designed for.

If you ask high lvl´s for runs, then you will never find friends on your server. I also dont think that my current server is the only one with a growing community. I see people asking for groups all the time, it is not hard to find people - you just need to open your mouth.

I did never have any trouble with finding a group in classic or TBC at wow either, no matter if on lvl 60,70 or below.

You will find people fast if you want to. I allready know quite a few guys on my current server just from doing some warzones. Some others asked me if I wanted to group, because they saw my LFG comment in the social window.

People dont need a xrealm tool that puts them together with strangers, this is the worst addition to an MMO ever and it is taking so much away from the game, you can just aswell play Skyrim then...

The game is out 1 day and people allready know that they dont find groups, they allready know that they cant do dungeons without dps meters..... guys this is silly. Play the game first, and in 1 year we can talk about it.

I spam that I want a group repeatedly.

I finally get a group.

I complete the Heroic or Flashpoint.

Group disbands.

We never "socialize" any more or less than I would if I pt the group together using a specific group finding tool. I don't add them to my friends list. It's just a temporary arrangement. Nothing more.

With this said, I don't see how a LFG tool would hurt anything. Could someone please explain why such a thing would be so bad?