SIGH - Do Dev's ever learn why most MMO's failed?

FatherJeffrey

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna have to call troll on this one. I've been rolling face all week with my smooth, fluid and responsive Sith Assassin.

how can u call troll when half the forum's are crying about non responsiveness with it comes to pvp.. have like 2 second delay on everything... some times its before and after casts...

There's this wonderful UI option in the controls area called something along the lines of Queue. It allows for you to preselect your next move before it happens. By default it sits at .5 seconds. If you are a button spammer, this will make the moves do double takes or seem sluggish. Turn it to 0.0 and you should see better skill response times.

I see you've never played rift.... Or Aion..... Or AoC.... Or etc etc.

As a sith warrior the combat feels pretty good to me *shrugs* and I played wow for over 4 years.

rift combat felt clunky to me, aoc was fine tho.

swtor doesnt feel the clunky ness of rift, don't know what was causing it to feel clunky in rift but it just did :/

Only issue I have is there seems to be a constant of me pressing a button watching the cast bar go and then the ability actually triggers 1-2 seconds after the cast bar completes, mean while I can watch everyone elses combat and everything seems to be going smoothly so idk maybe just me.

To OP: The game mechanics while fighting have been very smooth for me. I have seen some posts in beta and recently about crashes or lag and such. I have not experienced any of this so it leads me to believe that it may, perhaps, not be the fault of the game or devs but, in fact, the fault of the computer the game is being played on. You may need to recalibrate your settings to a lower value if your computer system cannot handle quick moves.

its true that they arent the best, but they aint bad , are just good or ok

is what make mmos succes indirectly, accion 1 player smooth and cool animations and physics on a mmo, wow has it that one of his keys to the succes.

Edited by Stormag

Only issue I have is there seems to be a constant of me pressing a button watching the cast bar go and then the ability actually triggers 1-2 seconds after the cast bar completes, mean while I can watch everyone elses combat and everything seems to be going smoothly so idk maybe just me.

Nope, it's because for the other dudes you see what's happening on the server until it reaches you, while for you you see the entire thing, from the moment you press your keybind and data transfers to server up the the point where the data will return to your computer as a complete action.

I think you're exaggerating with 2 seconds though, 0.5-1 second should be more like it. Doesn't make it more acceptable, but still.

Edited by yomanaaiton

To OP: The game mechanics while fighting have been very smooth for me. I have seen some posts in beta and recently about crashes or lag and such. I have not experienced any of this so it leads me to believe that it may, perhaps, not be the fault of the game or devs but, in fact, the fault of the computer the game is being played on. You may need to recalibrate your settings to a lower value if your computer system cannot handle quick moves.

It's just that some people don't notice these things as easily as other people.

It's indeed the game's and not the individual system's fault. I've tried the game in several PCs and it's not my problem, it's the same everywhere.

Your comparing a game thats had 7 years of polish to a game released in its' first week?

Cast your mind back to when you first played WoW. It was a clunky buggy mess and the only reason it is smooth now is years of refinement.

Just be patient.

Sorry, WoW's net code was sorted from day one. Actually, from beta :)

Argument doesn't fly anymore, anyways. The game is out, not in beta anymore. Players that will play it won't wait 5 years for it to improve. Wake up.

Yes, I actually own every one of them MMO's and I also alt+f4ed all of them games 30min after. All of them also died 2-3 months after release, just like this game is.

Fail? not quite... this is the only MMO I can get into and I've tried others. This game is better than some storydriven RPG games I have for console.

Seriously, having clunky and unresponsive combat controls is a disaster and WILL kill your game.

When will dev's learn that you need a smooth, nice and fluent combat system. Seems like only Blizzard know.

Which is a shame because the game is actually very cool but I simply can't stand clunky, heavy unresponsive controls/combat, it's a total game killer. The jumping in this game makes me what to throw up.

Feels like your character is walking on rails, insane.

This is so false... Combat is very fluid in SWTOR... If your having issues with lag then it's either your computer or your Internet Provider...

I think what throws some people off also is that Combat is more slow paced then the super hyper fights of other MMO's where the battle is over in like 5 seconds..

Edited by Monoth

Alot of people here will disagree with you because you just insulted their favorite game ever. There is honestly no point, we all know that the combat is unresponsive and the GCD is WAY too long. There are literally zero options for the camera and it definitely hinders you. Sorry but this is a huge slap in the face for fans.

QFT!

*filler

Seriously, having clunky and unresponsive combat controls is a disaster and WILL kill your game.

When will dev's learn that you need a smooth, nice and fluent combat system. Seems like only Blizzard know.

Which is a shame because the game is actually very cool but I simply can't stand clunky, heavy unresponsive controls/combat, it's a total game killer. The jumping in this game makes me what to throw up.

Feels like your character is walking on rails, insane.

ah yes, blizzard and wow. the good old days of my warrior charging through the world or ending 10km next to my target. not to forget the fun of ranged classes shooting through walls or not being able to get out of combat with a borked rage generation.

i guess you dont see that as clunky? all the hate aside, i still loved wow:). if that game could start like that and progress to its current shape(well not progress for all aspects however) this game certainly can to.

that said, the combat doesnt feel clunky to me at all, but rather smooth and responsive from my sorcerers view.

The OP seems like yet another attempt to moan at something for the sake of moaning. It sounds like you decided that you where going to complain about combat even if you had not seen it.

I have seen so many posts about "CLUNKY" combat yet every one of these posts do not elaborate AT ALL, as to what they mean or even give a meaning to the vague, poorly used term "CLUNKY."

In this post you have referenced SWTOR's combat to wow which to me, proves that you are moaning for nothing because WoWs combat is almost identical to SWTOR. There is no difference. If you would then continue to maon about things like GCD then you can seriously talk to the wall.

I wish people would stop posting absolutely meaningless complaints that hold absolutely no water.....

I have to agree, they have a lot of the interface problems WAR had for some reason. Making abilities activate on key depression and not key release would go towards making it feel a lot smoother though. I'd also prefer mouse sensitivity..Sometimes I move the mouse slightly too far and end up turning like 400 degrees.

The combat in this game is really stiff, also the ability lag actually built into the game was probably thought of by the same guy that designed the Hutt Ball map.

Don't get me wrong, I just hit level 32 and I love the game, and it is a good start, but there is a lot of ground to cover as far as getting this game up to par with the competition if it wants to be HUGE and not just 300k F2P.

They've totally skipped the basics, the guild interface is buggy, the AH is horrendus, most of the basic features that should be in every mmo are completely missing. The basic features that are actually IN the game are outdated.

But the companion system is nice, and the quest lines are immersive. Overall it's a good start, but this game has a long way to go in a short time to be able to keep people's interest past the story/leveling aspect.