Random FPS drops -> Ati gfx

Desithinginme

I've been having fps drops these past couple of days in SWTOR. My fps would drop from 70'ish to 10'ish back to 40'ish and so on. Just a couple of moments ago someone in the game told me that it might have something to do with my ati gfx.

I'm using an ati HD 5770.

Anyone who could help me out?

It's not a AMD issue. It's (quiet frankly) bad engine optimization.

I get it too, fps spikes and dips for no reason, typically in player hub areas.

Everyone that's paying attention gets the spiky fps on say..the imperial fleet.

Bioware is supposedly aware of this.

As usually, peeps need to chill on the AMD bashing before looking elsewhere.

AMD is fine. Crossfire drivers they tend to be a little bit behind, but single card is just fine.

Edited by Your_dominus

I have constant 111 fps with my ati cards and havn't noticed any spikes at all.

AA and AF forced in driver? 1080p or above?111fps at all times? Never spikes down, and back up?I doubt your claim very much.

In fact I straight up call BS.

Edited by Your_dominus

I have a 6970 and i'm having the same problem.When alot of players are on the screen my gpu usage goes from like 100% to 30% and my fps drops.

I have my old 5770 laying around somewhere i'll hook it up when the ques die down and see if i'm having the same issue.

i get this aswell mainly in player hubs.

ive noticed though it only happens when i start moving my character? usually at 70-100fps randomly drops to 30s creating a stuttering. ive experienced this in lotro and just cause 2. i think it has something to do with the game not rendering environments fast enough. IOW optimization.

should be fixed down the track.

i72600k

5870 vapor x

8gb ddr3

I have random FPS drops, but I noticed that by simply minimizing my game (whatever screen mode that allows the game to fully minimize to the task bar), and then maximizing it back open - this usually fixes it.

Of course there is less FPS for everyone in places like the Fleet, I assume. But any other time, give this a shot.

I have similar issues with a heavily overclocked 5870. My FPS will suddenly go from 120+ to 30 (or less) then it will go back up to 120+ making the game lurch or stutter. This is most obvious when running around. I get 120+fps if I'm standing still but then when i start to run forward i will get massive fps drops (down to 30 or less) until i stop moving and then it will instantly go back up to 120+. Another interesting observation (most apparent on the fleet) is various NPC's that are completely invisible at range and only appear when you're standing right on top of them.

My GPU is only at around 65% load and my CPU is at 40%, i have 12gb of ram and the game installed on a SSD. I just reformatted my drive and have all of the newest drivers as well as the newest bios on my motherboard. These issues are definitely with the game engine.

Edited by SeanPoe

• 1 month later...
I ussualy have (20-35) Fps but in certain zones I have like (35 to 45) and in other areas it drops to (15-24) I dont know whats wrong but a friend of mine told me that was because of the Game engine (Hero-Engine) He said that the engine is not quiet finished yet so thats why the fps drop so bad, dont even bother to go to pvp areas unless you wanna play Power point style, I hope that Bioware fixes this soon or launch a patch testing the performance of the game and realize we are not 5% of the community with low-end pc's :)

It's not a AMD issue. It's (quiet frankly) bad engine optimization.

I get it too, fps spikes and dips for no reason, typically in player hub areas.

Everyone that's paying attention gets the spiky fps on say..the imperial fleet.

Bioware is supposedly aware of this.

As usually, peeps need to chill on the AMD bashing before looking elsewhere.

AMD is fine. Crossfire drivers they tend to be a little bit behind, but single card is just fine.

Its funny how so many ATI users say this, extremely funny actually.

I have fps issues too

6990 powercolor

16 gig ram

Corsair SSD's

Running 6000/1080 res

I get 25 fps in tattoine in Eyefinity, and about same in normal mode.

HD 6970 OC CF 2x

32 gig ram

SSD for OS. Crappy old 7200rpm for game.

Running 5760x1080

After todays patch crossfire started working and Im getting 120 fps in fleet but I do have drops in some places when there is lots of effects like big battles in warzones and similar.

But most of the time I have over 80fps so the drops is hardly noticeable.