Dont No If i can PvP on this any Longer

Hilnarox

Gunnery Is just too stationary, The minutes someone slows you, You are literally dead, i dont see how these can get better by the level because no talent or Moves later on solve this,

They have no defensive moves eccept a 2min CD, it seems like as soon as someone gets close up im dead, regardless of me topping every BG its because mostly people dont actually focus me, i cant kite either because i have no slows so there always constantly on me

Gunnery has to have a weakness or it would be seriously OP. Even at the moment I can stand there and destroy some people simply by alternating Concussive Charge, modified Stock Strike and Full Auto snare, it takes a series of stuns to let them kill me before I kill them.

With the ability to heal means even after a hard fight you can be back in the action quickly instead of being some poor non healing class running around on 20% health after a tough fight. There has to be some give and take, the enemy doesn't like hearing "An enemy is Immortal".

Edited by Astares

I'm a lv. 35 BH Arsenal Merc (the mirror to Trooper Commando Gunnery) and I've been PvPing as one since Beta.

Here's a few tips to deal with a melee on you as a M-BH/C-Trooper:

1) Spec Tenacious Defense so your Concussive Charge has a 20 second CD and spec Concussive Force to make your Stormstrike a knockback and your Concussive Charge stronger.

Concussive Charge is your first line of defense. This knocks back all melee on you and slows them, and if you plan it correctly, you can knock back someone off the high ground and gain a huge advantage. Despite wearing heavy armor, don't be out there waiting to get snagged by an assassin/shadow. Gain the height advantage in almost every scenario that it is available.

2) Utilize your 4-second stun spell intelligently. Use it to set up a Grav-Round/Tracer Missile combo and deal a high health deficit. If a player is low on health and you aren't, they are going to retreat to start using non-offensive abilities to survive. This is your time to strike. You want to start the fight in your favor.

3) Use Concussive Round! It doesn't have to only be a CC for the healer. You can use it to open the door to getting some distance or setting a combo. In fact, you can juke someone into blowing their CC-breaker and then make them pay with a stun that really matters.

4) Use energy shield BEFORE you are below 20%. It's not going to do you much good to block 25% damage when you have 200 health left. If an assassin opens on you and your other escapes are on cooldown, use energy shield.

5) Lastly, but definitely not least, DON'T RAMBO. You aren't a lone killing machine capable of destroying entire armies of players. Help your team, assist in heals if you have to and focus on objectives. If you sit there spamming tracer/grav rounds and are totally unaware of your surroundings, you are a FAILTROOPER/BOUNTY HUNTARD. Don't be one.

Hope that helps.

I'm a lv. 35 BH Arsenal Merc (the mirror to Trooper Commando Gunnery) and I've been PvPing as one since Beta.

1) Spec Tenacious Defense so your Concussive Charge has a 20 second CD and spec Concussive Force to make your Stormstrike a knockback and your Concussive Charge stronger.

Concussive Charge is your first line of defense. This knocks back all melee on you and slows them, and if you plan it correctly, you can knock back someone off the high ground and gain a huge advantage. Despite wearing heavy armor, don't be out there waiting to get snagged by an assassin/shadow. Gain the height advantage in almost every scenario that it is available.

2) Utilize your 4-second stun spell intelligently. Use it to set up a Grav-Round/Tracer Missile combo and deal a high health deficit. If a player is low on health and you aren't, they are going to retreat to start using non-offensive abilities to survive. This is your time to strike. You want to start the fight in your favor.

3) Use Concussive Round! It doesn't have to only be a CC for the healer. You can use it to open the door to getting some distance or setting a combo. In fact, you can juke someone into blowing their CC-breaker and then make them pay with a stun that really matters.

4) Use energy shield BEFORE you are below 20%. It's not going to do you much good to block 25% damage when you have 200 health left. If an assassin opens on you and your other escapes are on cooldown, use energy shield.

5) Lastly, but definitely not least, DON'T RAMBO. You aren't a lone killing machine capable of destroying entire armies of players. Help your team, assist in heals if you have to and focus on objectives. If you sit there spamming tracer/grav rounds and are totally unaware of your surroundings, you are a FAILTROOPER/BOUNTY HUNTARD. Don't be one.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Good point.

Generally spoken, the trooper is strong in pvp, although he has to stand still for huge dmg. But with a team u can really melt faces with ease. As the guy above mentioned, use ur cc wisely and never go solo. Your are not an assasin. I am currently lvl 26 AND Im feeling pretty strong. When enemies cluster in warzones you are king. Keep this in mind.

Hope that helps.

Thanks alot mate

Hope that helps.

this!

there is a reason that you will be focused down if they get a chance.

that just proves that Commando is good in PvP. no one wants you around to bring the hurt.

Hope that helps.

Excellent advice.

Hope that helps.

This was actually a pretty helpful/good post, nice to see. Hopefully this is a good sign for some manner of forum community at least on the class boards.

Gunner is not for pugs imo, it melts face but the cast times and mobility are the death of it. If you know how to play and ur in a pug you will more than likely be defending something by urself thats just the nature of the beast. Unless ur about kills then ur pretty much screwed. I rolled AS to see how that works out so far its looking decent. Not getting los as often and uber mobile

Or the opponents just go the guy with no cc and no way to run. :p

:eek: PVP'ers go after the weaker foe?!

BTW, we do have some CC's but Gunnery isn't really designed mobile fighting. Assault tree may work better for you in PVP as it's more mobile than Gunnery. Gunnery works better in a coordinated team, as someone else said, we're not Rambo.

Gunner is not for pugs imo, it melts face but the cast times and mobility are the death of it.

The opposite is true. If you face a real team that knows how to assist train and call targets, you will be focused almost immediately, thus crippling you. If you're playing against pugs, most of the time they let you sit near a pillar and destroy them from afar. That's exactly what you want as a Commando: a pillar to hug so you can LOS any player dumb enough to challenge you 1v1 from range. Seriously, I'm not sure it's even possible to beat a Commando at range 1v1.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a lvl 50 Commando. I tried assault but it is very very ammo heavy. You have to do some serious ammo managment and it is Damage Over Time based with very little burst damage. It's great for tagging & running but to seriously do some damage you need to roll gunnery spec. Gunnery will give you the 33% full auto boost, instant cool down buffs, more damage on top of debuffing with grav round. Yes, you are more of a turret but, you need to use tactics in pvp. find locations on the outskirts of combat where you can do your ranged attacks. commandos, i repeat commandos, should NOT be in the middle of melee madness.

Now if i do need to shoot and run i have high impact bolt, demo round, sticky grenade, I think explosive round which i don't use since its ammo heavy, and my auto attack. It's not a great attack chain but it does provide a little bit of mobility. make sure if you have a macro keyboard to setup your sheilds/heals over time/adrenals/expertise buffs on a macro and setup a heal macro on another key. Also setup a auto fire on another key instead of pushing auto fire you can just hold down the button. there is a lot you can do with macros that will help improve your gameplay. Overall commando is a strategy class which requires awareness of your position in combat and using good tactics in selecting targets and knowing when to use your aoe's. for example when you see a cluster of enemies fighting its good to toss plasma grenade which hits for around 1k and tics on crits for 800 over time and throw a sticky grenade for a delayed aoe of around 1500 damage and toss mortar volley for 1k-2k per hit aoe. over all you are doing some serious aoe if you are in a good position to cast all those attacks. it's not for everyone but, when played well you can dish out some good damage. i have done well over 300k damage and it is possible to get up over 400's with full gear.

I spec'd combat medic a few times and it is absolutely fun but, you will be healing the whole time and doing very little damage & you will most likely be primary target but, survivability is great if you know how to play it. I've had 2-3 people hittin on me and they couldn't kill me but, thats not the case all the time. I hope this helps.

I'd like to restate what others have said. Use pillars and the terrain! Don't ever get caught in the open, that's when you're in trouble. Use a pillar to hide yourself from the spawnpoints in Voidstar and The Civil War and let it rip on those at the door/turret. For enemies to reach ya they'll have to run through all of your melee friends first thus painting a big isgn on 'em saying "KILL ME!" :)

I alternate between Gunnery and Assault to keep things interesting. Both specs are great for PvP AND PvE if you know how to play 'em.

About Assault's ammo issues. I agree that the spec is a lot more ammo intensive. But what many seem to forget is that you're not supposed to spam Charged Bolts/Auto Fire. You need to squeeze in Hammer Shot in there as well. HS does great damage with Plasma Cell and in PvP it'll in most cases slow down enemy players. Also keep in mind that the DoT from the cell can do crazy damage. 1k crits is not uncommon with a little gear, so you want this on your opponent as much as possible.

Another ammo/damage tip for Assault. Using Full Auto will immediately give you the HIB proc while Charged Bolts will proc when you finnish casting. In order to not waste time waiting to see if HIB procced or not do a Hammer Shot right after. This'll both give you lots of Plasma Cell procs but also give you 1.5 seconds of ammo regen between shots. In a lot of cases this little break will be enough to keep your ammo at a healthy level.

And remember to strafe shoot when running, never turn your back on an opponent. Use Concussion Charge often, as it's only on a 20 second (15 with 2p PvP set bonus). It sends people flying all over the place.

I run with a pocket healer which makes things considerably easier but still save Tech Override for a instant heal (2-3k) for emergencies.

About preventing enemies from capping turrets in The Civil War. Hail of Bolts is your best friend when there are multiple cappers and not enough time for a Plasma Grenade. But don't aim it in front of the turret as it'll give enemies on the other side cover. Any enemy with a brain will use the turret as cover from incoming fire so put it down on their side.

Try finding the targets that are about to drop and finish 'em off. There is no such thing as stealing kills in this game and if anyone says different just remind 'em there is no I in team.

OK that became longer than I'd thought and covered way more than I had planned. It's just tips and thoughts from the top of my head ;)

As a full DPS specced Commando can you really heal and get right back in the fight?

NO: heals do not hit for enough if you don't spec into them. And even if you spam your heals 1) you're not getting back in quickly and 2) you'll be out of ammo.

you cant heal during fight because of the setback. but after a fight healing is recommended.

PS: im a fully dd specced gunnery commando and my heals crit for 4k.

you cant heal during fight because of the setback. but after a fight healing is recommended.

PS: im a fully dd specced gunnery commando and my heals crit for 4k.

So let's assume the average heal is 3k (you won't crit everytime) and you have 15k hp at 50 it would take 15 ammo to heal you to full health. TL;DR: Gunnery healing is garbage.

I have to seriously question if half of the people claiming Gunnery is fine in here play against competent opponents. Locking down a Gunnery commando is trivial and we have next to no survivability.

So let's assume the average heal is 3k (you won't crit everytime) and you have 15k hp at 50 it would take 15 ammo to heal you to full health. TL;DR: Gunnery healing is garbage.

I have to seriously question if half of the people claiming Gunnery is fine in here play against competent opponents. Locking down a Gunnery commando is trivial and we have next to no survivability.

battle over, you heal until heal/ammo are at same level, than you use recharge and reload and your full ammo/hp quite fast and rdy to go on.

and for the second part; if your opponents are that competent, why shouldnt your team? not only you have stuns or knockbacks, but your team too. also, theres guard and healing.

and for the survivability, cut the crap and stop finding excuses why you seem to suck. we have plenty.

-heavy armor

-25% dmg reduction for 12 seconds

-10% damage reduction (pretty much permanent)

-15 second cooldown huge knockback

-6 sec cooldown knockback/interrupt

-1 MINUTE long disabler on 45 sec cooldown

-1 stun

-you can heal yourself!

-90 sec cooldown anti-cc

-2 slow life regenerate skills (doesnt help you if you get focused, but it helps you enter battles with full health)

-1 "make your next skill instant" wich opens up many options

-1 anti-snare (tech or physical)

oh yeah, and theres medipacks and stims, dk if you heard of them?

you will surive, you just have to know how to play and use your skills properly. can't expect that from everyone though...

battle over, you heal until heal/ammo are at same level, than you use recharge and reload and your full ammo/hp quite fast and rdy to go on.

So basically use your regen ability, which every class has.

-10% damage reduction (pretty much permanent)

Not permanent at all. Getting off 5 grav rounds in PvP means your opponents are bad.

-6 sec cooldown knockback/interrupt

9 seconds

-1 MINUTE long disabler on 45 sec cooldown

Doesn't last 1 minute in PvP.

-1 stun

Irrelevant, every class has this.

-you can heal yourself!

You will never be able to outheal any incoming damage as Gunnery.

-90 sec cooldown anti-cc

Edit: With 30 seconds longer cooldown, granted.

-2 slow life regenerate skills (doesnt help you if you get focused, but it helps you enter battles with full health)

The 7% heal is so laughable I thought it was a joke or a typo at first.

oh yeah, and theres medipacks and stims, dk if you heard of them?

Simply listing the tools Gunnery has misses the point. Gunnery has many great tools, the problem is the other classes have more great tools that often counter our tools directly.

Edit: And now for something constructive. I think Gunnery could be fixed if it had a proper interrupt and the SS knockback was a bit more potent and slowed for a few seconds in return for granting more resolve.

Edited by Aurlon

Gunnery Is just too stationary, The minutes someone slows you, You are literally dead, i dont see how these can get better by the level because no talent or Moves later on solve this,

If you're too stationary why are snares a problem?

Edited by Game_Hermit