A New Versus Series!

Aurbere

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh more then likely, I can't really recall anything impressive that Kas'im has done that would put him on Dooku's level.

It's his reputation to be honest. It's fairly overinflated. There can be no doubt that he's a skilled duelist, but he's really not as great as he is believed to be.

Dooku outclasses him in almost every area, I think.

It's his reputation to be honest. It's fairly overinflated. There can be no doubt that he's a skilled duelist, but he's really not as great as he is believed to be.

Ok then well I think we got that cleared up.

On another thread - You asked why I wasn't going to get involved in any more VS threads - and this kind of is an example of why...

Reputation is based on Opinion - Who were these people that were beating beat Kas'im in a duel? - because if it is that overinflated - I would assume that there would be many examples of this -

To be fair to Kas'im we didn't really get to see him in many Duels - there is not that much material on him - but from what we could see he was a very level headed analytical character he obviously was well versed in All the lightsaber forms but beyond this had a very practical mentality and clearly knew the difference between the theory and the reality of fighting.

He got beat by Bane who was a Very good duellist himself - Bane was a Physically powerful form V user

Dooku got Beat by Anakin who was also a Very Powerful form V user.

While Anakin may have more raw potential than Bane I would say (that at least in this point of his career)

Bane was a more Tactical, Patient - less prone to emotions/manipulation which made him far less likely to make the same kind of rash mistakes that Anakin often made/was goaded into.

However, for All his Skills and Mastery - Dooku had no Answer for being overwhelmed/overpowered by a Master of Form V.

Kas'im - did have an answer to this and used his Secret Mastery of Dual-Wielding Ataru to Counter Form V Successfully. Bane used the Force and Collapsed the temple entrance on Kas'im to win in the end as Kas'm had him figured out Saberwise. (and Environment is always a somewhat circumstantial Factor - ie... say if Anakin and Obi Wan were fighting in the deserts of Tatooine and not the Lava Pits of Mustaphar - would there have been a different outcome?). Kas'im probably has Good Direct Force defences (where attacks are directed at his actual person)

I am not even saying that Kas'im would neccesarily beat Dooku (My first instinct would be to say that Dooku would probably win) - but I don't think with his vast knowledge and Skill that he should be easily dismissed out of hand - as he has shown - An extremely broad skillset to call upon, an analytical and tactical mind and the Ability to adapt........(he himself will have access to styles like Djem So, Juyo, a mastery of Makashi (not to the degree of Dooku) and many things that he could at least try against Dooku)

to me it seems that minds are made up beforehand and the decisions are not necessarily based on the actual argument that are given -

it is difficult analysing fighters from different eras - but with the belief that the PTera>All (and the person running this thread a subscriber to that belief) sometimes I think accomplishments of people like Kas'im and Exar Kun tend to get downplayed.

I Think - It would probably be better doing these threads where you match up folks from that same era and don't try and cross era's - because people have certain (Blanket) Ideas about certain periods and this can actually hinder the debate you are trying to stimulate.

This is not personal at all and I think you are a good poster - I ilke the debating and analysis of these type of things - and people have often come up with good points and Vice versa that I may not have taken into account which might make me reevaluate things.

But for example if say Ulic Quel Droma's mastery of Djem-So - can't be cited as an Advantage against a PT Jedi's Makashi (because the PT era skills/abilities >everything else) then you can see it is not worth mixing up the era's in this case as it is pointless trying to run an analytical debate about this - So I think it better to bracket fighters of the same era so at least the abilities will be analysed as somewhat equal merit)

it is difficult analysing fighters from different eras - but with the belief that the PTera>All (and the person running this thread a subscriber to that belief) sometimes I think accomplishments of people like Kas'im and Exar Kun tend to get downplayed.

I assure you that my own personal opinions will not and have not gotten in the way of my decisions. My personal opinions don't matter. Case in point: Quinlan Vos vs. Savage Opress. I fully believed that Vos could best Savage, but that wasn't the case. I make decisions based on who is most likely to win, judging from the arguments put forth.

Also, I will not downplay Exar Kun's abilities. I personally believe that he will end up winning the whole thing.

You've made grand assumptions that any personal bias of mine will make my decisions. You are wrong to assume this.

Reputation is based on Opinion - Who were these people that were beating beat Kas'im in a duel? - because if it is that overinflated - I would assume that there would be many examples of this.
This much is true, but its through debate that reputations are dispelled or appraised. You yourself have just proven through debate why Kas'im should not be underestimated. Likewise I proved why Savage should not be underestimated when he went up against Vos. And I don't plan on letting up. :jawa_wink:

This much is true, but its through debate that reputations are dispelled or appraised. You yourself have just proven through debate why Kas'im should not be underestimated. Likewise I proved why Savage should not be underestimated when he went up against Vos. And I don't plan on letting up. :jawa_wink:

Did I underestimate Kas'im? No. Merely saying that his reputation is overinflated.

Not only that, but the outcome of Kas'im vs. Dooku is obvious. Nothing in Kas'im's arsenal will catch Dooku off guard. Dooku is fully familiar with the paired blades function Kas'im uses. He knows full well how to engage double-bladed lightsaber users. He has incredible experience against opponents using two lightsabers. Not only that, but Dooku clearly outclasses Kas'im in Force abilities.

Is Kas'im skilled? Yes, I have never denied that. But he's not capable of defeating Count Dooku.

Did I underestimate Kas'im? No. Merely saying that his reputation is overinflated.

Not only that, but the outcome of Kas'im vs. Dooku is obvious. Nothing in Kas'im's arsenal will catch Dooku off guard. Dooku is fully familiar with the paired blades function Kas'im uses. He knows full well how to engage double-bladed lightsaber users. He has incredible experience against opponents using two lightsabers. Not only that, but Dooku clearly outclasses Kas'im in Force abilities.

Is Kas'im skilled? Yes, I have never denied that. But he's not capable of defeating Count Dooku.

Skilled compared to whom though?

Errands today, so no BattleZone today. I haven't finished it (it's gonna be long) so I'll try to get it done tonight, but if I don't expect it on Monday.

I reckon that you are purposefully putting this off to build a crowd and garner anticipation for the next few days, so when it finally gets posted, the thread explodes, destroying an entire star system. :eek:

*Tin foil hat mode off*

I reckon that you are purposefully putting this off to build a crowd and garner anticipation for the next few days, so when it finally gets posted, the thread explodes, destroying an entire star system. :eek:

*Tin foil hat mode off*

I wish. That would be incredibly devious. Luckily I've been stormed in so I have plenty of time to work on the next thread.

Just a quick heads up + spoiler. I am currently reading through the Revenge of the Sith novel because Obi-Wan Kenobi is in our next match-up. So if I don't get the next match posted, it's because I haven't finished reading the novel, or I did finish and I just haven't gotten all of the info added in.