PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

Never thought of it this way. That is a great idea.

I personally went with pants and gloves because i had the old battlemaster pieces and they matched my outfit. :) Am using em right here in the

and they fit in with the original UW set.

I actually went with my old BM pieces as well. It just so happened that the specific slots I was using pre-2.0 came to be loaded with alacrity in the new PvE gear. And judging from the way the gear tiers are set up now (i.e Underworld having the same itemization as Arkanian, only more stats), I would guess it'll stay that way until the next expansion. I guess I lucked out :D

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I understand what you mean. My initial post was intended to highlight how much easier it is to Roll-In-Place since the patch. The tickle animation is just a side-effect/separate/irrelevant to Rolling-In-Place.

You are the 2nd person to mention the easier roll-in-place due to the new jumping "animation." Either we can publicize this in this thread to encourage more snipers to try Engineering and practice roll-in-place (something i am sure was not intended by bioware), or just let people play Engineering as it is and utilize roll-in-place when and if they discover it. When something becomes "popular enough" it might attract the attention of the nerf-bat.. something that hopefully will not come to engineering (scatter bombs damage reduced??).

I am only coming from the recent nerf to the short lived stacking of 2-pc set bonuses (Arsenal Merc lost their +30% TM crit, Operative healers can not double stack their set bonus for more healing on their capstone talent (iirc), and MM Snipers lost their 5-tick orbital 2-pc 2-pc pvp set bonus).

~is what i meant and not meant to put your post down in any way! :)

~i guess i am also coming from my recent "crusade" for 36/3/7. I know SamuelIA had a Gunslinger guide about it but without zomgawesome 3K+ parses, the guide was not enough to convince a lot of people to try 36/3/7. When i extensively parsed it and saw hwo 3k was so easily sustained, some people in my guild mentioned that perhaps i should not post about it and keep it a secret. But i did post about it anyway, a lot of parses including a 20 min parse of MM sustaining 3000 DPS, a video, and contributed to Samuel's guide in order to get the word out that 36/3/7 is the way to go. I have seen the DPS Leaderboards 2.0+ in the Heroics/Fps/Ops forums go from 36/8/3 MM to everyone running 36/3/7 MM and i guess i am happy about it. If you look at 8-man NiM TFB last boss in torparse, i was able to do the #1 DPS in that fight, wearing full UW gear, with no void disturbance and i was going against DPS in my guild (SuckaFish) who have had KD gear from their few weeks of farming (1st week was their full clear, 2nd week was their title run, etc etc). They have mix ~KD Offhand (A BIG DPS upgrade for marauders), KD relic(s), 1 KD token each, and some KD bracers/belt here and there.

Should we talk about roll-in-place extensively given the new jumping animation that makes this "trick" easier to do? I've seen/heard/read 2-3 people posting about it now. Talk about it long enough and there's a risk of getting it nerfed. Or do we just let it slide... and not put too much attention into it?

It kind of defeats the purpose since i AM posting about it now lol. ohwell. In the end i guess what i want.. or dont want is for Engineering to get nerfed, but at the same time it leaves me with a sour feeling using a "trick" or "bug" in order to make Enginerring truly viable on all bosses (during progression), not only for medium to large sized ones.

Edited by paowee

Should we talk about roll-in-place extensively given the new jumping animation that makes this "trick" easier to do? I've seen/heard/read 2-3 people posting about it now. Talk about it long enough and there's a risk of getting it nerfed. Or do we just let it slide... and not put too much attention into it?

Well now it sounds like you're not posting it because you don't want a bug to get fixed :/

Well now it sounds like you're not posting it because you don't want a bug to get fixed :/

I know i am at a loss right now :\

lol.

On the other hand, players are only taking advantage of something possible through the game's engine (or whatever it is that is making this roll-in-place possible).

If rolling-in-place becomes very popular (like "double stacking 2pc set bonus" kind of popular, I see 2 ways BW can deal with it: they try to fix the engine (or whatever it is that is making this roll-in-place possible), OR nerf scatter bombs. Guess which one is easier to do...

On my defense though I have posted the rolling in place bug 2 months ago over at the Bug Report forum

edit: link >>> http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=643347

I assume the devs read the bug report forum and should know about it by now... but maybe on our part we can stay hush hush about it? lol. Basically the new jumping animation made it so that:

Yeah. Just did a SM S&V on my alt slinger, this is silly. Missed only a handful of Roll-In-Place. This will break PvP.

I personally do not care much for rolling-in-place. I don't use it , never have. I hope it never becomes a basis for an Engineering nerf.

Edited by paowee

Personally, I'd rather you talk about it in the open to help out players and let the developers decide on what they think is necessary. There are many bugs in other games that essentially ended up as features for high skilled players and something like the roll-in-place trick for Saboteur/Engineering should be one of them. The damage in Engineering without rolling at all is actually not far off from the other specs (realistically about 200 DPS below) so if it does fixed at some point, it shouldn't be too hard for the developers to compensate with some minor buffs to have equivalent DPS.

Personally, I'd rather you talk about it in the open to help out players and let the developers decide on what they think is necessary. There are many bugs in other games that essentially ended up as features for high skilled players and something like the roll-in-place trick for Saboteur/Engineering should be one of them. The damage in Engineering without rolling at all is actually not far off from the other specs (realistically about 200 DPS below) so if it does fixed at some point, it shouldn't be too hard for the developers to compensate with some minor buffs to have equivalent DPS.

Oh that is one good way of looking at it.. Alright...! I will try to get a NiM TFB or NiM SnV footage of a full run using Engineering roll-in-place with the new jumping animation (once i am able to play again). Anyone is free to do it as well! Will certainly give me more time outside the house on the weekends. lol :)

The damage in Engineering without rolling at all is actually not far off from the other specs (realistically about 200 DPS below)
It IS not far when speaking in terms of content that is on farm. But you will have to be carried by other people if you , say try to run Engineering in NiM DG Council in 8-man during progression unless you do 100% perfect rolling in place.

NiM TFB

Engineering is "viable" on all bosses when content is on farm by your guild

Engineering is "viable" on large size bosses during progression

• I ran it on NiM WH and was not dead weight even when put on jealous male (instead of boss duty)

Engineering is "not viable" on humanoid and small bosses during progression unless you can 100% roll in place.

• i've tried it on NiM 8-man Operator, a fight that is easily less difficult than NiM DG, and i was heavy weight because scatter bombs does not work on the data cores. The single target DPS of engineering without scatter bombs is not enough (or barely does enough DPS rather). Sometimes i would be able to DPS the core down enough and sometimes i wouldn't. Depends on how much scatter bombs does not bug out.

NiM SnV

Can't tell for sure. I have not been in one yet but it should easily be viable and competitive for the 1st three bosses in that instance (with or without rolling in place).

Edited by paowee

I'm pretty much in agreement with this on all points.

If they do fix Scatter Bombs (one way or the other) and give us a small buff for it, though, I think I'd like Blazing Speed / Electrified Railgun to weigh heavier. In my opinion, what it gives for the maintenance required of it isn't quite enough. Not necessarily make it deal more damage, but perhaps adding a stacking buff to us (1-3 stacks of the buff per tick of the dot, how many depending on how many stacks of the dot is up). I'd rather the stacks be something we consume and then rebuild - maybe increasing the damage on the primary target of the next good ol' grenade, enough for it to be a noticable dps gain in single target (or anything really; just a brainfarted idea) - because I would really not like to have Merciless / Annihilate stack syndrome.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I would probably, almost definitely, kinda, possibly hate having anything centered around Blazing Speed in PvP.

I dunno really, whenever I try Saboteur without rolling I just feel like something is missing. I guess that is just because I got used to the deliciousness that is my sweet, blue, rolling goodness button. :p

Edited by diadox

NiM TFB

• I ran it on NiM WH and was not dead weight even when put on jealous male (instead of boss duty)

Engineering is "not viable" on humanoid and small bosses during progression unless you can 100% roll in place.

The problem is, when you don't consider rolling at all Eng is a fair amount behind the other specs (200-300 dps as an estimate). If rolling is consistently possible so all bombs hit the boss, it's far stronger than the other specs (400-500 dps). Technically the specs are pretty much equal (eng compared to MM/hybrid) if 2 of the bombs hit the boss and the boss stands still enough to use plasma probe on. This roll in place bug doesn't make the spec viable, it makes it capable of outperforming the other specs by hundreds of dps. The spec wasn't balanced around consistently hitting a target with 5 bombs.

It IS not far when speaking in terms of content that is on farm. But you will have to be carried by other people if you , say try to run Engineering in NiM DG Council in 8-man during progression unless you do 100% perfect rolling in place.

NiM TFB

NiM SnV

Can't tell for sure. I have not been in one yet but it should easily be viable and competitive for the 1st three bosses in that instance (with or without rolling in place).

You are definitely right about 8 man DG in NiM, but that fight in general requires an abnormally high amount of DPS in general to beat. I haven't gotten past that so I can't say for sure about the other bosses, but in Operator IX, the issue that makes AoE sometimes miss is strictly a bug. Even though you are completely right that it makes Engineering in 8 man pretty terrible, I would hope they'd fix that problem at some point. I agree with your other points as well.

The way I think the developers look at Engineering is essentially like Rage for the Marauder tree. You rarely see a top Rage Marauder as its only unique advantage is in AoE over the other specs. Engineering definitely has the strongest AoE of the Sniper trees. The main difference between the two is that due to the roll-in-place bug, you can actually do way better damage in Engineering on certain fights and requires more precision to do so on other bosses.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this on all points.

If they do fix Scatter Bombs (one way or the other) and give us a small buff for it, though, I think I'd like Blazing Speed / Electrified Railgun to weigh heavier. In my opinion, what it gives for the maintenance required of it isn't quite enough.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I would probably, almost definitely, kinda, possibly hate having anything centered around Blazing Speed in PvP.

I dunno really, whenever I try Saboteur without rolling I just feel like something is missing. I guess that is just because I got used to the deliciousness that is my sweet, blue, rolling goodness button. :p

I completely agree that rolling is a crucial aspect in playing an Engineer. Personally, I'd like to see EMP Discharge/Sabotage be given the extra ability to automatically set off Scatter Bombs. For example, while rolling in mid-air (even if you didn't roll in place), you could hit this skill and instead of the bombs being scattered througout your roll, it would place all the bombs at the beginning of it. You would have to compensate for this in other ways (nerfing the damage on other skills), but this would allow players who haven't or can't master the roll-in-place bug due to computer/player limitations a way to do big damage at least once per minute. EMP Discharge/Sabotage is already a skill that's off the GCD as well.

The problem is, when you don't consider rolling at all Eng is a fair amount behind the other specs (200-300 dps as an estimate). If rolling is consistently possible so all bombs hit the boss, it's far stronger than the other specs (400-500 dps). Technically the specs are pretty much equal (eng compared to MM/hybrid) if 2 of the bombs hit the boss and the boss stands still enough to use plasma probe on. This roll in place bug doesn't make the spec viable, it makes it capable of outperforming the other specs by hundreds of dps. The spec wasn't balanced around consistently hitting a target with 5 bombs.

This is true. I am curious what you guys think of something like my suggestion above. Also, I would love to know if you guys have any other ways to help make Engineering more reliable in terms of damage. The lack of reliability in my damage is the only reason I don't play Engineering most of the time.

It kind of defeats the purpose since i AM posting about it now lol. ohwell. In the end i guess what i want.. or dont want is for Engineering to get nerfed, but at the same time it leaves me with a sour feeling using a "trick" or "bug" in order to make Enginerring truly viable on all bosses (during progression), not only for medium to large sized ones.

I dont think one should feel like they're wrong-doing by Rolling-In-Place. The fact is, as others have mentioned, Saboteur is slightly behind other specs in straight up DPS, and only skilled players will be able to use the ability in their rotation effectively during Boss fights. Having an ability that causes players to make decisions and perform that action with skill in order to be rewarded with success is nothing short of good game design. By the way, I'm not saying Bioware designed this to be intentional; but, I think it kinda works really well with Saboteur—and, if this indeed was intended, I would congratulate them on a pretty brilliant way to make the spec fun as hell to play! It really is a blast; one must decide when to use it, when it'd be most effective, when it'd be risky, and even just hitting it and hoping the game engine will let it work—which I can see being super frustrating in a serious raid; but, would still add to the enjoyment of the spec.

Incidentally, I got a chance to give the spec (with a focus on Roll-In-Place) a good run in PvP, and it's not as devistating as I had initially thought it might be. Although there are probably a couple of Mauraders still on Alderaan Civil War wondering what the hell hit em. Its range restrictions, and counter-intuitive nature to the Class make it an interesting choice for the player—not like that less-than-interesting, automatic "me smashy" button.

Edited by Orenprax

Incidentally, I got a chance to give the spec (with a focus on Roll-In-Place) a good run in PvP, and it's not as devistating as I had initially thought it might be. Although there are probably a couple of Mauraders still on Alderaan Civil War wondering what the hell hit em. Its range restrictions, and counter-intuitive nature to the Class make it an interesting choice for the player—not like that less-than-interesting, automatic "me smashy" button.

Agree with ya there. Due to the range(or lack of) it makes the roll much more difficult to use in pvp. Sure when ya get it off chances are that person is gonna switch to defense but if u get a person actively kiting ya it's gonna be hard as hell to get your roll off

just thot I would post here that the roll in place thing doesn't work as consistently anymore with the latest patch. I get it about once every 5 times now

Hmm...that's strange. I find it about the same difficulty as before. I can typically get 4/5 rolls to work in place.

Paowee:

Hey, so I ended up doing NiM S&V running Saboteur on the 1st and 2nd bosses. For Dash'roode, I found that Saboteur was pretty good, but not as strong as Sharpshooter just because I was deathly afraid of rolling in front of the boss and getting cleaved or being knocked out of the shield. Beyond that, though, the AoE damage helped a lot against all the adds.

On Titan 6, Saboteur is easily the best spec just because you can annihilate those adds that come after Launch so perfectly. Here is the parse I had from today and if you want to see the Dash'roode one, it's in the log right before this one.

For me since I mostly pvp engineering is the best since you can prevent caps for a very long time. But I have used it for pve before and for me it is just as viable because you can do just as much damage as a marksman if you can time your aoes right and with the added fact that they are aoes you still have the chance to hit big sure we might not be able to compete with a lethality if they spam DoTs on every target they see but that's not the point. For engineering it's not just that our dps can be the same it's the fact that we have the most self heals and survivability among snipers since we have a cd reset for most of our defensive moves and one attacking move. For what it's worth I would far rather have a engineering sniper in my group than any of the others since we have good single target burst dps and the bonus aoe damage.

just thot I would post here that the roll in place thing doesn't work as consistently anymore with the latest patch. I get it about once every 5 times now

Yup. I noticed this as well. Furthermore, Rolling-In-Place on the fleet seems just as easy as it has ever been, if not slightly less consistent; however, in instances and PvP it has become far less consistent.

They definitely changed something—whether intentional to address Rollbanging, or they just adjusted some obscure Codex coding which had unforeseen results, Rolling-In-Place is back on the shelf for me; while it's doable, it's not reliable enough. Again.

Hey guys I made this Google Doc presentation for the Engineering / Saboteur guide. Hopefully it's as precise and as user-friendly as I'd hope it to be.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11l_KM33L96QRQrJ9DsOQg3pajyXQ0AdKTkJC6QL7ixA/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.gee3b8a9d_0161

CJNJ, Vaidinah, BetaKiller check out the last slide :)

Hey man! Thanks for the small credit ^^

Been unable to play SWTOR since 2.2 hit so kinda having to test the new changes :p but picking up fast I gotta learn the 36/3/7 too :p

The reason I first mentioned the roll-in-place is because I believe it not to be a bug but a non-intended feature due to the way the engine works requiring the player to know the game mechanics. Now if the change to jump made it easier then be ready for the fix because it was supposed a completely different issue.

I don't believe on a nerf to Engineering because since it works on large bosses why kill it for the small ones? A nerf would not be to the roll-in-place but to the general power of the spec but at the moment Engineering is showing results about 10% above the max from other classes, being within the limit claimed by the devs. And that's comparing the top players not the regulars. I imagine regular players will have more difficulty with the spec because it is necessary to have more knowledge on the class mechanics. And that for me doesn't show a necessity to nerf Scatter Bombs.

For PvP I believe Scatter Bombs are not the defining skill but actually Plasma Probe for its objective denial. Scatter Bombs is more of a escape and duel skill not aimed for a team-based match. But hey PvP is not my focus I can be wrong.

Edited by BetaKiller

Well, did they just put the final nail in the coffin for engineering sniper viability to end-game PVE content or is there still any hope?

:(

Engineering still works on all bosses. It's only less optimal on small and humanoid ones unless you can roll-in-place 100% of the time.

Engineering still works on all bosses. It's only less optimal on small and humanoid ones unless you can roll-in-place 100% of the time.

I tested it yesterday after the patch and I can still do it successfully just like the video I recorded

Hey All,

I'm new to the IA and Engineering so I'm sorry for my inexperienced questions. Before I start plugging in numbers I just want to clarify a few things. All in all I'm not sure if there's a key difference between the pattern priority and the priority list.

Opening:

http://i.imgur.com/1jhad8O.jpg (I saw something completely different for an opener but I can remember where I saw it in this thread so I apologize if this is a stupid question)

In terms of a priority/pattern

http://i.imgur.com/RyqUcmp.jpg or this http://i.imgur.com/MTdDOHl.jpg

Thanks all!

Hello!

First up if you haven't already i suggest checking the google presentation out. It's a quick and easy 11-slide presentation of this Engineering write-up https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11l_KM33L96QRQrJ9DsOQg3pajyXQ0AdKTkJC6QL7ixA/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.gee3b8a9d_0161

A bit of writing needed to answer your questions so please give me some time im working on it right now.

Edited by paowee

Remember that this Engineering guide is just that, a guide and i recommend that you experiment and try out differnt things, try moving some abilities up and down the prioriy lists, etc etc. ^^,

1) Regarding this Opener

Opening:

I saw something completely different for an opener but I can remember where I saw it in this thread so I apologize if this is a stupid question)

This is just what i use and there are other ways to open as Engineering. Play how you like it. You don't have to follow that opener down to the core. Looking at that picture right now... i think i'd do some changes like maybe put Corrosive Dart after Interrogation Probe and use Series of Shots AFTER Explosive Probe. I would add Ambush before doing Snipe spam and I'd probably do only 1-2 Snipes before finishing the opener with adrenaline probe.

2) Now the pattern:

I (think i) mentioned in the original post that that rotation's goal is to give you permanent 3 stacks of Electrified Railgun AS WELL AS using Series of Shots as soon as it comes back up. It is a unique and interesting talent and that is why i decided that for this pattern / rotation i want it to revolve around keeping the DoT up at all times. Simply put the pattern aims to give you, easily, a 100% uptime on Electrified Railgun x 3. For example:

Series of Shots = refreshes Electrified Railgun

GCD = instant cast ability

Snipe = refreshes Electrified Railgun

Series of Shots -> GCD -> GCD -> Snipe -> GCD -> GCD -> Series of Shots

Remember: Ambush has a ~2.5s cast time. If you want to keep Electrified Railgun up, you may need to use Overload Shot or preferrably Snipe to refresh ER before it wears off.

3) Next.. the priority list. Quite a lot of abilities in there!

PART 1: Icons 1-4 (armor penetration)

The first 2 icons are shatter shot and target acquired. An armor pen debuff (45 seconds) that needs to be up on the target at all times and an armor pen buff (10 seconds) that will greatly increase the damage of some of your abilities.

The 3rd icon is Covered Escape (or Scatter Bombs), your highest sustained DPS ability. You want to have an armor pen debuff up and you want to use it when you have the target acquired buff. The 4th icon is EMP Discharge (resets your Covered Escape). During your target acquired, if possible you should do

(target acquired buff on yourself) Covered Escape -> EMP Discharge -> Covered Escape = armor pen debuff on your target.

PART 2: Icons 5-9 (Series of Shots and your instant cast abilities)

Icons 5, 6, 7 are your DoTs. 8 is SoS and 9 is Explosive Probe. This is where the pattern comes into play. After you do your opener your abilities are coming off cooldown and its time to refresh your dots. To avoid confusion, lets ignore Series of Shots for now. According to the priority list, you want to use plasma probe first, then interrogation probe and then corrosive dart. If you plug it in the pattern you have:

Plasma Probe -> Interrogation Probe -> SoS -> Corrosive Dart... We can go further down this line.

Plasma Probe -> Interrogation Probe -> SoS -> Corrosive Dart -> Explosive Probe -> Snipe -> Around this time SoS will come of cooldown and you repeat.

GCD -> GCD -> SoS -> GCD -> GCD -> Snipe -> GCD -> GCD -> SoS

Sometimes you will need to use Rifle Shot. Sometimes you may need to refresh the armor pen debuff. You can insert them in the pattern as well:

PP -> IP -> SoS -> CD -> EP -> Snipe -> SS (armor pen) -> RS -> SoS

Ambush takes a while to cast and you may risk letting ER fall off. You may want to follow Ambush with a Snipe or Overload shot, but more you should try to use it RIGHT BEFORE Series of Shots. Series of Shots hits multiple times and "instantly" puts 3 stacks of ER up. You can afford to let ERx3 fall off if the next ability in your rotation is Series of Shots.

PP -> IP -> Snipe -> CD -> EP -> SoS -> Ambush -> Snipe or

PP -> IP -> Snipe -> CD -> Ambush -> SoS -> EP -> GCD -> Snipe

PART 3: Icon 10 (Orbital Strike)

Hard hitting ability. You want to use it on cooldown. You want all your DoTs ticking on the target before you cast Orbital Strike. If you cast Orbital Strike with nothing at all on your target, your DPS will drop down a lot. The only exception is when multiple adds are coming out and in that case you want to cast Orbital asap (or preemptively if you can)

PART 4: Icons 11 and 14

If you follow the pattern you cna ignore Icon 11 which is Electrified Railgun. It should be up on the target at all times anyways. Icon 14 is Laze Target... it probably should not be there lol. By default you want to use it everytime it comes back up.

PART 5: Icons 12, 13 and 15

Takedown - Ignoring its position on the priority list... i suggest just using it on cd when you hit 30%. It will count as one GCD so be sure to plug it in the pattern correctly.

Ambush - You want to use it when all your DoTs are ticking and all your abilities are on cooldown. Say: you just refreshed your 3 dots, SoS and EP is on cooldown. Orbital Strike still has 30 seconds left. And you had just used Covered Escape. The boss is at 80% hp and you can't use Takedown yet. What can you do? Ambush.

Snipe - is your filler ability and more importantly used to keep Electrified Railgun at 3 stacks.

Edited by paowee

Thx paowee for your post, some really helpful information :)

I've been hitting the dummy alot yesterday and I noticed something about the following.

Ambush takes a while to cast and it will take up 2 GCDs in the pattern

Ambush -> SoS -> PP -> IP -> Snipe -> CD -> EP -> SoS -> SS -> RS -> Snipe

You can count ambush as a single GCD in the rotation if you use SoS after the 2 GCDs since it hits instantly instead of snipe which has to charge.

(Example: Snipe -> Ambush -> GCD -> SoS)

I know I asked a question about this too, but I have been torturing a dummy for a while after the question and got this conclusion :)