PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

Regarding stationary rolling - I've been running Saboteur on smaller raid bosses recently - I have found it more reliable to do while running. The result will essentially be the same as a completely stationary roll (you will move forward slightly rather than stay in the exact same spot, but not far enough to get out of a humanoid NPCs hit box).

If you're having trouble doing it stationary, perhaps you should try the running approach. It works nicely for me :)

Beta is right on with the timing; the keys should be pressed pretty much simultaneously (I'm sure I press one before the other, but I kind of do it instinctively now and honestly can't tell :p). Just make sure you don't lag at all while it's done, cause that tends to screw things up big time.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practiced this stationary rolling on fleet today. Seems the best way to get this to work is to press CE and then jump in rapid succession at almost the same time almost guarantees u can get this every time. Haven't yet tried it in an operation situation yet though.

Regarding stationary rolling - I've been running Saboteur on smaller raid bosses recently - I have found it more reliable to do while running. The result will essentially be the same as a completely stationary roll (you will move forward slightly rather than stay in the exact same spot, but not far enough to get out of a humanoid NPCs hit box).

If you're having trouble doing it stationary, perhaps you should try the running approach. It works nicely for me :)

Beta is right on with the timing; the keys should be pressed pretty much simultaneously (I'm sure I press one before the other, but I kind of do it instinctively now and honestly can't tell :p). Just make sure you don't lag at all while it's done, cause that tends to screw things up big time.

Haven't really been messing with Engineering, but saw these posts and tried to mimic them myself. Couldn't get a single stationary roll at first trying to jump and roll at the same time, then I tried to mash forward while doing it. Worked about 6 or 7 times in a row before I missed one, and now with more practice I'm getting about a 90% success while on Fleet. Would have to try it on a dummy or ops setting to know how practical it is though.

Edited by Synavix

Here is a parse of 16SM Olok, cropped to only include the last phase (the parse in its entirety includes the whole encounter).

I used the running approach here and I believe - from looking at the combat log - the majority of my scatter bombings hit with all five bombs. There was an occational four hit in there I think, but overall it seems to work nicely.

That said, I'm not quite sure Saboteur/Engineering would be the superior spec for that encounter even with the possibility to hit all bombs; the constant need to relocate would call for a gap closer and using our only one - Hightail It / Covered Escape - as such would kinda defeat the purpose of being in melee range in the first place :p. I found myself too often delaying HI because running over to the add to do it would've been pointless. Because of this all fights should probably be evaluated individually with stationary rolling in mind, and I think the more people who wants to try Sabo/Engi and compare to the other specs, the better :).

I will try to get around to this myself as soon as I can, though first I want to focus on progressing with my guild. Also, I'm far from decking myself out in terms gear (haven't done very much HMs yet, and I'm not even fully augmented atm), and I'm sure the results of someone comparing the specs with near BIS gear would be better for the best conclusions on how the spec measures up on every particular encounter.

Edited by diadox

I've been working on using the stationary roll for a couple of weeks now actually, stumbled across it in a moment of lag when running a flashpoint. Usually, I can nail it about 50% of the time, BUT! The other day, I was downloading something, so my ping jumped above 100 in game, and when it did that, I could nail 10 out of 10 stationary rolls, it's easy as heck when my latency goes up abit, gives me "more time" to react, I suppose. 100 ping isn't too bad, but it's quite a hassle to keep the ping high all the time to get this to work as good as possible. Just thought I'd share this if anyone cares. :)

BTW this mechanic is insanely OP in pvp when bursting down healers/tanks. 2 gcd's and bam, dead.

BTW this mechanic is insanely OP in pvp when bursting down healers/tanks. 2 gcd's and bam, dead.

Yeah it's pretty damn crazy :D

It also cracks me up to see the reaction of people when they basically get meleed to death by a gunslinger

Yeah it's pretty damn crazy :D

It also cracks me up to see the reaction of people when they basically get meleed to death by a gunslinger

In PVP cover pulse em to the wall then double roll is pretty funny especially on sorcs ;) It sucks when they force barrier the bombs though but hey that's on a ~3 min cd :rolleyes:

BetaKiller i've updated the original post :)

Player Contributions [☢]

Roll-in-place

by BetaKiller

Demonstration

The way to achieve this is the similar to how operatives can extend their roll distance by jumping right after the roll or right before the end of it. However for this you want to use Covered Escape AND jump almost at the exact same time. I have tested this easily with a friend while dueling, dropping all bombs at my location near him and damaging him.

On your screen (your client) you will see your character roll in mid-air and dropping into cover. While everyone else will see you roll forward (smoke and all) and instantly going back to your original position.

Notes:

• If you jump too late you might either just roll forward or start the mid-air roll but still hit the floor rolling and thus going a bit forward
  • If you press jump too soon your character will jump and you will receive an error message and Covered Escape will not be used
  • You can also roll in place when running. As long as you use Covered Escape and jump at the same time the result will be the same

Edited by paowee

In PVP cover pulse em to the wall then double roll is pretty funny especially on sorcs ;) It sucks when they force barrier the bombs though but hey that's on a ~3 min cd :rolleyes:

I do that when I get an opportunity to do so, but don't go out of my way to get in a good knockback. More frequently I just kick 'em in the nads and jump-roll in place. :D

As for pve, I feel stationary rolling is very good when on add duty on Golden Fury. I think it varies how close to each other the droids spawn (could be wrong though, please correct me if so :)), but worst case scenario - done properly - I lose nothing and land five bombs total, best case scenario I land all 5x2. Other scenarios are anywhere in between (duh :p). Admittedly, going through a combat log of it I noticed there were times when I got less than five to hit. Can't remember if it was because I failed the jump-roll, or if it was because I got greedy and tried to hit both droids when they were too far apart.

Add this to the spec's already strong AoE; those robots be goin' down fast!

Edited by diadox

1 hour of trying it out while we wait on DT spawns and still could not get a single roll-in-place :confused: I tried experimenting with ability activation at 0 and 1.0. :jawa_mad:

EDIT: Finally did it! 1 every 3 tries is successful so far :)

Edited by paowee

I'm having a difficult time getting contingency charges and sab charge to be 1 and 2 dps dealers when parsing. It seems that max dps is achieved with this spec when that is the case. Usually speed shot and IG are top 2 for me. Any tips/tricks to get better/expected dps from this spec and from CC and SC.

Please help, I've been parsing like mad to try and fix this.

http://www.torparse.com/a/227617

How are you pulling off 30 OS hits in a 5m48s parse on the training dummy?

25 OS hits in 4m51s

24 OS hits in 6m

etc

Hmm... I start with OS in my parses and also swap between double 2-pc pvp bonus and 2-pc pve and 2-pc pvp bonus.

The Double 2-pc pvp bonus will make your orbital tick 5 times instead of 3. You can only do this if you had the battlemaster shells/armorings from 1.7 (1st 2-pc pvp bonus), and then you get 2 pieces of partisan armorings for your 2nd 2-pc pvp bonus

Edited by paowee

I'm having a difficult time getting contingency charges and sab charge to be 1 and 2 dps dealers when parsing. It seems that max dps is achieved with this spec when that is the case. Usually speed shot and IG are top 2 for me. Any tips/tricks to get better/expected dps from this spec and from CC and SC.

Please help, I've been parsing like mad to try and fix this.

Can you post a parse so i can be more specific with my suggestions? :)

You are right SS and IG are usually at the top. ShockC and SaboC + CC should be doing roughly the same DPS. Orbital, depending if you are using 2-pc pvp or double 2-pc pvp should be equal SS and IG as well. If you check your parses and you see % of damage done:

1. Hightail

2. SS / IG / Flyby

3. SC / SaboC + CC

then you should be fine. Snipe and VS usage will vary but ofcourse you will be doing more DPS if you are able to add them to your rotation properly.

Here is my latest parse.

3408 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/233669/time/1368863523/1368863858/0/Overview

3125 cunning

1196 power

109.93% tech accuracy

150 crit rating

68.62% surge

72 barrel

2-pc pve, 2-pc pvp bonus

Edited by paowee

A way to consistently do the roll-in-place is to do it while running. Press and hold down your W key and then hit jump and covered escape. I'd say its about 9/10 successful tries for me doing it this way. In a raid however it is a little bit harder to do (mainly due to my FPS lag in 16-man) Edited by paowee

A way to consistently do the roll-in-place is to do it while running. Press and hold down your W key and then hit jump and covered escape. I'd say its about 9/10 successful tries for me doing it this way. In a raid however it is a little bit harder to do (mainly due to my FPS lag in 16-man)

While Im happy that its possible to roll in place now, we might want to keep it on the DL, lol, I can feel BW wanting to nerf us already lol, I don't want them to have another reason.

Edited by Sardonyyx

While Im happy that its possible to roll in place now, we might want to keep it on the DL, lol, I can feel BW wanting to nerf us already lol, I don't want them to have another reason.

I would agree with you if BW hadn't already passed up the chance to fix a similar effect for the scoundrel/operative roll. It allowed them to jump over the final barrier in Voidstar, but instead of nerfing or changing the roll itself, they simply changed the barrier, so it couldn't be "roll-jumped" over.

From the 2.1 Patch notes:

PvP

Voidstar

Players will no longer be able to use movement speed increasing abilities to get over the shield wall in the Cargo (final) room.

I take this to mean they don't have a problem with using the roll in this way, as long as it doesn't give an obscene advantage in PvP.

Edited by greg_biochem

That and doing an acrobatic roll in mid air and landing on the ground is totally realistic and something that is in the realm of the star wars lore. I mean Jedi do it all the time ;) Edited by paowee

I would agree with you if BW hadn't already passed up the chance to fix a similar effect for the scoundrel/operative roll. It allowed them to jump over the final barrier in Voidstar, but instead of nerfing or changing the roll itself, they simply changed the barrier, so it couldn't be "roll-jumped" over.

From the 2.1 Patch notes:

I take this to mean they don't have a problem with using the roll in this way, as long as it doesn't give an obscene advantage in PvP.

That doesnt mean it's intended to be able to roll in place, it could mean they just don't know how to fix it yet.

This is not in the guide because i have only discovered it recently. You want your SoS and Scatter Bomb # of hits to be as close as possible. This is only based on my personal observations and i don't have any extensive parses to "actually" prove it. So take it with a grain of salt :)

Just an update my guildie can 90% do roll-in-place as Engi sniper >_< and can utilize it fully during p2 of HM TFB. It turned out 2300 DPS if he did not die lol. I think having good FPS will help in being able to pull this off in raids

Just an update my guildie can 90% do roll-in-place as Engi sniper >_< and can utilize it fully during p2 of HM TFB. It turned out 2300 DPS if he did not die lol. I think having good FPS will help in being able to pull this off in raids

I have been trying to figure out how to time this. On my ship I have well over 100fps and couldn't reproduce it manually, I then went to a macro system to see if I could pull the window closer then I could to reproduce.I still got nothing. Am I missing something or is there a supersecreteyeysonly trick to this?

Edited by Grimsblood

I have been trying to figure out how to time this. On my ship I have well over 100fps and couldn't reproduce it manually, I then went to a macro system to see if I could pull the window closer then I could to reproduce.I still got nothing. Am I missing something or is there a supersecreteyeysonly trick to this?

Noone help him. He can't be allowed to do more damage.

Seriously though, I tried for about an hour the other night on my ship and also had no consistent luck. I got it to work by accident a couple times while running, but never standing in place and never consistently (I can deploy my shield mid-jump no problem). Is having lag important? I read that people can get it to work on the fleet and in section X and the like, and obviously any raid situation is going to be slightly laggier than alone on your ship.

Betakiller can also do it consistently if you check out his

Sometimes i can do it consistently outside of raids. In a raid setting however...16m my fps is aroudn ~20 and on top of all the raid mechanics it is a bit (by a bit i meant a lot lol) harder to do. The Anni marauder and Engi sniper (who can roll in place) were at 2300 (but sniper died lol). I can do good DPS in P1 and the tantrum phase (where all bombs will hit regardless of where you are) but lag far behind in P2 because i can not do this trick lol.

For practice try this one:

1. Press and hold W

2. Hit Roll + Jump "simultaneously"

I am having a hard time doing STATIONARY roll-in-place though. Last night i would say 1/10 attempts haha.

Also for Operator IX there is a BUG where the data cores do not get hit by your bombs. Despite rolling in front and travelling through it you will see 1 or maybe 2 bombs hit. Worst case scenario you do this: roll in front, travel inside and then through the data core and not a single bomb hit the data core. It seems AoE is bugged in this fight. I have noticed this same phenomenon with Smash on my rage jugg back in 1.7. Orbital strike on the other hand seems to work perfectly fine.

Edited by paowee