PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

Just curious but any of u know Iif you can roll over the red flowers on WH and still be okay?

I never tried rolling over the red flowers in WH, but I do know that rolling through the red circles on the next boss, the Dread Guard still gives you the DoT. Since we stay mostly in the middle area all the time, I've never thought about it.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never tried rolling over the red flowers in WH, but I do know that rolling through the red circles on the next boss, the Dread Guard still gives you the DoT. Since we stay mostly in the middle area all the time, I've never thought about it.

Your ranged/snipers stay in the middle ground during P3? Won't that be a problem when the mobs spawn and the melee have to run near the affliction add (say the red circles got dropped in the middle below the caster's feet)?

Edited by paowee

He's talking about the Writhing Horror (WH) fight, not the Dread Guards. It makes sense since he mentioned the red flowers. On Dread Guard, we have all ranged stay clear of the middle in a circle around the boss.
Oh yeah my bad lol.. How are you finding Engineering in NiM TFB? I'm afraid it's only really good for NIM WH and that is if you are not on jealous male duty ( i am mostly on jealous male duty). Op9 its very hard to pull off since Phase 1 is the hardest part of that fight and you just can't have your Scatter Bombs "missing" and bugging out on the data cores otherwise you wipe. Because of that i've swapped to 36/3/7 MM for Operator... I can probably afford to go Engineering on Op9 again once the raid gets more gear/min-maxed.

I haven't tried it personally for NiM TFB. I was MM last night (parse right here, full UW gear). No doubt Engi will still be good in phase 1 but can't say for sure in phase 2. going off from experience, i've never been 0.XX% close to total damage done against our Anni Marauder for that fight as Engineering (before KD gear came out). But now in NiM tfb, and since swapping to 36/3/7 MM, i was able to keep up with around 0.XX% behind plus the gear difference (KD OH, belt/bracers, 1 token)

p.s. i went a bit offtopic there suddenly was vying for MM in this Engi thread haha...

edit. anyway i think engineering will really shine in NiM SnV for Titan 6, Thrasher while being ~viable for Dashroode. Yay so ~3 out of 7 bosses ._.

Edited by paowee

Oh yeah my bad lol.. How are you finding Engineering in NiM TFB? I'm afraid it's only really good for NIM WH and that is if you are not on jealous male duty ( i am mostly on jealous male duty). Op9 its very hard to pull off since Phase 1 is the hardest part of that fight and you just can't have your Scatter Bombs "missing" and bugging out on the data cores otherwise you wipe. Because of that i've swapped to 36/3/7 MM for Operator... I can probably afford to go Engineering on Op9 again once the raid gets more gear/min-maxed.

I haven't tried it personally for NiM TFB. I was MM last night (parse right here, full UW gear). No doubt Engi will still be good in phase 1 but can't say for sure in phase 2. going off from experience, i've never been 0.XX% close to total damage done against our Anni Marauder for that fight as Engineering (before KD gear came out). But now in NiM tfb, and since swapping to 36/3/7 MM, i was able to keep up with around 0.XX% behind plus the gear difference (KD OH, belt/bracers, 1 token)

p.s. i went a bit offtopic there suddenly was vying for MM in this Engi thread haha...

edit. anyway i think engineering will really shine in NiM SnV for Titan 6, Thrasher while being ~viable for Dashroode. Yay so ~3 out of 7 bosses ._.

I haven't had a chance to play Saboteur/Engineering for NiM yet. Since my team is a 16 man and our DPS roster is not completely stable (I'm never sure if there is enough melee room for me), I end up running Sharpshooter/Marksman for progression just because it's easier. If I was doing 8 man with a reliable DPS team, I think Saboteur would work just fine on all the bosses. Currently, we are still stuck on NiM DG even though we are able to beat the 2nd Lightning Field every time. We haven't skipped at all, but plan to do NiM S and V now.

I've been running your 36/3/7 spec for Sharpshooter and it's working excellently. Here is my parse from last night and I was able to hit 2800+ DPS pretty consistently once we had practice.

I think the first 3 bosses for S and V would be ideal for Saboteur so I'll try it out when I get a chance.

From Claimed - gunslinger - saboteur - 7/36/3

Sab rolling - 3629 DPS

Crit adrenals used.

One upgrade - got my UW BA

http://www.torparse.com/a/333880/time/1373564900/1373565228/0/Damage+Dealt

Let's break this down and see how many times he used his abilities in 5 minutes. (Original parse is 5m 28s but will crop it down to 5)

Also take note of the crit adrenal. I've been using power adrenal and did not dabble using crit at all. I think this is the 2nd good parse i've seen from Claimed and both were using crit adrenal. Maybe it's worth it for Engineering to go with crit instead of power adrenal (?). What's curious about the Engineering tree is that it has a surge talent +30% crit multipler on x abiltiies but is lacking on crit. Lethality has crit talents and crits give them energy back (talent). MM has both crit AND surge talents. Engineering has.. one surge talent.

edit: breakdown coming soon.

Edited by paowee

Breakdown:

5min 0 seconds - crit adrenal

C - http://www.torparse.com/a/333880/time/1373564900/1373565200/0/Overview

0.52%	7	Flourish Shot shatter shot
0.52%	[color="orange"]3[/color]	Flurry of Bolts rifle shot <---------------------------- explained below
2.12%	10	Quick Shot overload shot 
2.8%	40	Contingency Charges cluster bombs	
3.7%  	[color="orange"]11[/color]	Charged Burst snipe <---------------------------- explained below
4.84%	10	Sabotage Charge (Tech) explosive probe
5.09%	13	Bleeding (Tech) Vital Shot corrosive dart
5.64%	195	Burning (Physical) Blazing Speed electrified railgun
7.37%	[color="Lime"]16[/color]	Shock Charge (Tech) interrogation probe
7.91%	[color="Lime"]14[/color]	Aimed Shot ambush
9.87%	[color="Lime"]15[/color]	Incendiary Grenade	 plasma probe
10.66%	[color="Lime"]5[/color]	XS Freighter Flyby orbital strike
14.96%	24	Speed Shot series of shots	
24%	        [color="Lime"]20[/color]	Scatter Bombs

5min 0 seconds - power adrenal

B - http://www.torparse.com/a/294248/time/1371544606/1371544908/0/Damage+Dealt

0.52%	7	Flourish Shot shatter shot
0.52%	[color="orange"]6[/color]	Flurry of Bolts rifle shot <---------------------------- explained below
2.12%	0	Quick Shot overload shot
2.8%	40	Contingency Charges cluster bombs	
3.7%  	[color="Orange"]20[/color]	Charged Burst snipe <---------------------------- explained below
4.84%	10	Sabotage Charge (Tech) explosive probe
5.09%	13	Bleeding (Tech) Vital Shot corrosive dart
5.64%	203	Burning (Physical) Blazing Speed electrified railgun
7.37%	[color="Red"]13[/color]	Shock Charge (Tech) interrogation probe
7.91%	[color="Red"]11[/color]	Aimed Shot ambush
9.87%	[color="Red"]14[/color]	Incendiary Grenade	 plasma probe
10.66%	[color="Red"]4[/color]	XS Freighter Flyby orbital strike
14.96%	24	Speed Shot series of shots	
24%	        [color="Red"]19[/color]	Scatter Bombs

B's overzealous use of Snipes resulted in energy issues that may have accounted for 3 more auto-attacks. The time it took to cast all these Snipes could have been used elsewhere as well. See below:

3 more auto attacks

9 more Snipes, for a total of ~12 gcds or

18 seconds ----> that could have been better used to do:

3 more Interrogation Probes (4.5 seconds)

1 more Plasma Probe (6 seconds)

3 more Ambush (2.5s cast 13.5 seconds)

1 more Orbital (2.5s cast 16 seconds)

1 more Covered Escape (17.5 seconds)

17.5 seconds ----> in order to do the same # of ability use as C.

That's how we got the red numbers.

Other nit-picky stuff. B's Snipe spam resulted in more dot ticks of electrified railgun: 203 vs 195 despite C using Overload shot to refresh the buff. Minor DPS loss for a major DPS gain by having more energy (Snipe is poor DPE as Engineering) and being able to use more abilities as described above.

But i love snipe spam :-(

Edited by paowee

Mm yeah. I felt somewhat iffy about completely including quick shot into my rotation and I guess this confirms that it has a place. Mostly, I use it to maintain my burn stacks after 3 GCDs, something I do with speed shot as well. Edited by Falver

Hey all, I have been studying this thread for a while now. Currently running MM but once I break the 3k barrier I plan to switch to Eng and see what I can do. My question here is with almost full 72's minus UW Implant ( Have Verpine ) I can't seem to get my accuracy to 99.91 like most are claiming here. Currently I have 99.51 w/ 5 Enhancements and 70.88 Surge, but if I swap 1 Surge for 1 Accuracy I get 110.48 Acc and 68.62 % Surge. Where do I find the balance at here ? I personally don't think Aug'ing out to Accuracy or Surge is in my best interest here.

On a side note love this thread, thank you guys for taking the time to break all this crap down.

The way people get 99.91% is to use one accuracy augment over a cunning one as you thought. While it may seem weak, it's important to note that you gain a good deal of Surge using this method. This is because you can put one more enhancement/implant/earpiece that contains Surge in your gear.

Bioware has changed something about jump in the engine. Since the patch, when you jump, your toon goes into the 'hold weapon' pose. Aside from making Gunslingers look super creepy in mid-air—like they're going on a tickle-spree, this coding change has made Rolling-In-Place much easier to perform, and with far greater consistency.

This potentially makes full Saboteur viable, and devastating for every Boss in the game. I say potentially because with the amount of Ghost GCDs, Ghost Casts, and frequent and random fluctuations in FPS still rampant in the game, it's still dangerous to use. Unlike 'Ghosting' any other GCD, 'Ghosting' a Roll-In-Place not only causes a DPS loss, it can literally land you in a heap of trouble.

I'm sure the coding change was not intended to buff Rolling-In-Place; but, it'd be nice to have an ability the was solely based on skill to perform, like how stutter-stepping as a Hunter used to be—if anyone knows what I'm talking about...

Bioware has changed something about jump in the engine. Since the patch, when you jump, your toon goes into the 'hold weapon' pose. Aside from making Gunslingers look super creepy in mid-air—like they're going on a tickle-spree, this coding change has made Rolling-In-Place much easier to perform, and with far greater consistency.

This potentially makes full Saboteur viable, and devastating for every Boss in the game. I say potentially because with the amount of Ghost GCDs, Ghost Casts, and frequent and random fluctuations in FPS still rampant in the game, it's still dangerous to use. Unlike 'Ghosting' any other GCD, 'Ghosting' a Roll-In-Place not only causes a DPS loss, it can literally land you in a heap of trouble.

I'm sure the coding change was not intended to buff Rolling-In-Place; but, it'd be nice to have an ability the was solely based on skill to perform, like how stutter-stepping as a Hunter used to be—if anyone knows what I'm talking about...

Interesting... will have to give it a try. I have not been able to play for the past 2 days but i will check this out as soon as i can get back online :)

Edited by paowee

Hi, I'm new to the Gunslinger class and I found this very usefull, but there is something I don't understand, What you mean with "2-pc PVE and 2-pc PVP" bonus exactly. You saying that we just get the armoring from 2 pieces of conqueror and the rest from PVE?

Thanks.

Edited by Siuxter

Hi, I'm new to the Gunslinger class and I found this very usefull, but there is something I don't understand, What you mean with "2-pc PVE and 2-pc PVP" bonus exactly. You saying that we just get the armoring from 2 pieces of conqueror and the rest from PVE?

Thanks.

Somewhat, yes. You get 2 armorings from 2 conqueror pieces of gear. And then you try to do hard mode raids to get 2 pieces of PVE tokens to get the armorings (set bonus) off those.

head, chest, gloves, legs and boots only.

I find that engi difficult on fights like DG phase 2/3, or at least for my group comp in 16 man. Usually we gotta keep the boss moving due to having too much melee and I end up failing with my roll. In groups where the tank doesn't have to move much it's probably fine, like fights such as Ops Chief, but I wouldn't recommend it for movement heavy fights.

Also I think on Syrak engi can do well. With the kell dragon and the parts with the big syrak there's great opportunities to roll, not to mention the final burn phase. With shrt roll you can pretty much cover everything else in between. Just my 2 cents on a fight

I find that engi difficult on fights like DG phase 2/3, or at least for my group comp in 16 man. Usually we gotta keep the boss moving due to having too much melee and I end up failing with my roll. In groups where the tank doesn't have to move much it's probably fine, like fights such as Ops Chief, but I wouldn't recommend it for movement heavy fights.

Also I think on Syrak engi can do well. With the kell dragon and the parts with the big syrak there's great opportunities to roll, not to mention the final burn phase. With shrt roll you can pretty much cover everything else in between. Just my 2 cents on a fight

You can do roll in place or just roll through the humanoid bosses without getting all 5 bombs to hit? Also is that hard-mode?

Edited by paowee

You can do roll in place or just roll through the humanoid bosses without getting all 5 bombs to hit? Also is that hard-mode?

Yeah I was referring to HM Syrak, my guild doesn't like PTS :(

yeah I was referring to the roll in place. Syrak is also an interesting fight(again HM) because half the time you have the humanoid size and the other half you have a much larger size boss. I haven't gotten to do Syrak recently because of NiM DG but I think with roll in place/short roll you can make it viable.

On the humanoid bosses I use the W+Jump+roll thing to roll a short distance rather than in place. Much more reliable imo and from what I can tell all the bombs still hit while the bigger bosses I use whichever at my discretion

Edited by CJNJ

Somewhat, yes. You get 2 armorings from 2 conqueror pieces of gear. And then you try to do hard mode raids to get 2 pieces of PVE tokens to get the armorings (set bonus) off those.

head, chest, gloves, legs and boots only.

And which parts you recommend me to buy for the pvp bonus.

And which parts you recommend me to buy for the pvp bonus.

The cheapest pieces to get (in terms of pvp-comms) are gloves and boots, but it doesn't really matter as the only part of the the pvp item you'll use is the armoring, and all armorings have the same stats.

I would recommend getting the PvP armoring from gloves and head, because the PvE versions of these only come with alacrity enhancements. I'd say it helps the overall gearing progress of a team when raiders get as much use of a full item as possible. :)

Like namesaretough said, though, in terms of performance it doesn't matter.

Edited by diadox

Interesting... will have to give it a try. I have not been able to play for the past 2 days but i will check this out as soon as i can get back online :)

Yeah. Just did a SM S&V on my alt slinger, this is silly. Missed only a handful of Roll-In-Place. This will break PvP.

I would recommend getting the PvP armoring from gloves and head, because the PvE versions of these only come with alacrity enhancements. I'd say it helps the overall gearing progress of a team when raiders get as much use of a full item as possible. :)

Never thought of it this way. That is a great idea.

I personally went with pants and gloves because i had the old battlemaster pieces and they matched my outfit. :) Am using em right here in the

and they fit nicely with my old Vendetta set, Cowbog set and now the UW default look i am wearing. Edited by paowee

Yeah. Just did a SM S&V on my alt slinger, this is silly. Missed only a handful of Roll-In-Place. This will break PvP.

Hmm.. i am thinking of letting this one pass... and not add it to the guide. I really would rather not have the centerpiece of the guide being based on a "buggy" animation trick. maybe we can have this one,, off the records ;)

Edited by paowee

Hmm.. i am thinking of letting this one pass... and not add it to the guide. I really would rather not have the centerpiece of the guide being based on a "buggy" animation trick. maybe we can have this one,, off the records ;)

Not sure I understand what you mean. My initial post was intended to highlight how much easier it is to Roll-In-Place since the patch. The tickle animation is just a side-effect/separate/irrelevant to Rolling-In-Place.