Legacy surnames do not make sense

Arodin

I hope in the last 10+ pages someone has pointed out that a legacy name is not .just. a last name.

I'll give you two things to consider (again, if nobody has pointed it out yet)

-Han Solo was part of the 'Skywalker' legacy.

-Races such as the Chiss have names like Mitth'raw'nuruodo, where the last name is already in the name (granted the Chiss have their own system of 'family/military affilations). they can still be part of a completely different legacy...

point being, you don't actually have to be born into a family to belong to the same legacy.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean Luke Solo or Han Skywalker? They are allies . . . so they shoudl have the same name? And Also Bobo Skywalker and Darth Vader Solo? And C3-Solo?

Now are we getting the picture?

yeah, seeing something you think is done wrong and and wanting it fixed is horrible, luckily one point of this forum is to provide feedback, you can call it complaining if you want, but the devs seem to want us to do this to an extent, so we'll just keep on doing it m'kay?

No, as in Shmi Skywalker, Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker.

Or Han Solo, Leia Solo, Jacen Solo, etc.

Nice try though. It's not a relationship simulator. They aren't going to build you a little sex app for the game so you can direct the sexual act that concieves a child, and they aren't going to create a "Star Wars Academy" or "Star Wars Kids" plug-in so you can go back and experience your life with a buddy to show how your friendship began.

They don't have to provide you with a "gun grip mouse" so you can experience the feel of pulling a trigger when you're firing a weapon, or a "saber hilt" pointer that allows you to swing the saber around so that you feel like you're really using a lightsaber.

I know they probably didn't list this in the terms of use... but you ARE supposed to bring some modicum of imagination and suspension of disbelief to the game. Otherwise, you ought to just stick to real life.

The Legacy Surname is obviously a way to allow all of your characters to be tracked on a single server without creating multiple surnames everywhere. They didn't even have to provide you the opportunity to create a surname. You're welcome to hide the surnames if you wish if that breaks your immersion.

because Ben Skywalker grew up on Tattooine with a twin sister named Leia on another planet that he didn't know of. His uncle and aunt were killed by his (unkown to him) evil father. Ben Skywalker destroyed the Death Star after rescuing and fawning over the woman he didn't know was his sister...then went on to Dagoba to train under Yoda...then saved Han Skywalker from Jabba the Skywalker after Boba Skywalker froze him in carbonite.

because Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Skywalker....do I need to go on?

the Legacy system is idiotic "Why is this so hard for people to understand?"

You too. Since your characters in this game are never going to interact with each other in the same world at the same time (at least in the current roadmap), this pretty much trashes your attempted counterexample.

This... is not a chawade. This weqwiwes total concentwation. Now... twy again... this time... with feeeeewing.

Edited by Kubernetic

You mean Luke Solo or Han Skywalker? They are allies . . . so they shoudl have the same name? And Also Bobo Skywalker and Darth Vader Solo? And C3-Solo?

Now are we getting the picture?

In the SWTOR system, they're all part of the Skywalker legacy since the movies center around them, with Anakin and then his son Luke being the central characters in the movies. So in legacy terms you get:

Anakin Skywalker ----Father to----> Luke Skywalker ----Brother of----> Leia Organa

Two use the last name, one uses the Legacy title. Want to go further?

Luke Skywalker ---Ally of (Or Brother-In-Law Of)---> Han Solo ---Husband of---> Leia Organa

Han Solo now would use the Legacy title. The title is intended to show there is a relationship, whether by blood, marriage, or camaraderie... but wait!

Han Solo ---Rival of---> Boba Fett

Still works, if you use the title again. Now, perhaps they should have made the surname and legacy name separate, but then all 3 might need to be unique for technical reasons. I would assume the BW devs/programmers realized the issue... otherwise you wouldn't have non-blood relationships at all.

Plus then you have people displaying both, instigating the people who blame the nameplates for their lagging or immersion breaking or whatever. It remains to be seen if it's possible to add Luke and Anakin as rivals as well, though I don't know if that will be the case as I haven't hopped on the playtest server.

yeah, seeing something you think is done wrong and and wanting it fixed is horrible, luckily one point of this forum is to provide feedback, you can call it complaining if you want, but the devs seem to want us to do this to an extent, so we'll just keep on doing it m'kay?

The only thing really "wrong" imo is not allowing name changes... yet. Give it some time. Of course, if it were up to me, it'd be a mountain of credits (or even a real money charge) to really discourage frequent name changing. It's not as if the Legacy Name window that appears doesn't tell you that it applies to all characters... though perhaps they shouldn't use the term "surname" in it as it obviously creates confusion.

Edited by bmhale

No, as in Shmi Skywalker, Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker.

Or Han Solo, Leia Solo, Jacen Solo, etc.

Nice try though. It's not a relationship simulator. They aren't going to build you a little sex app for the game so you can direct the sexual act that concieves a child, and they aren't going to create a "Star Wars Academy" or "Star Wars Kids" plug-in so you can go back and experience your life with a buddy to show how your friendship began.

They don't have to provide you with a "gun grip mouse" so you can experience the feel of pulling a trigger when you're firing a weapon, or a "saber hilt" pointer that allows you to swing the saber around so that you feel like you're really using a lightsaber.

I know they probably didn't list this in the terms of use... but you ARE supposed to bring some modicum of imagination and suspension of disbelief to the game. Otherwise, you ought to just stick to real life.

The Legacy Surname is obviously a way to allow all of your characters to be tracked on a single server without creating multiple surnames everywhere. They didn't even have to provide you the opportunity to create a surname. You're welcome to hide the surnames if you wish if that breaks your immersion.

You too. Since your characters in this game are never going to interact with each other in the same world at the same time (at least in the current roadmap), this pretty much trashes your attempted counterexample.

This... is not a chawade. This weqwiwes total concentwation. Now... twy again... this time... with feeeeewing.

Whaaaaa? How does that relate at all to what I said?

Awesome job at missing the point.

The POINT is . . . and I'll try to make this simple . . .

That legacy and last names shouldn't be linked.

In your version there wouldn't be a Han Solo and a Luke Skywalker.

There would be a Han "Skywalker Legacy" a Boba . . . (nothing) or a Boba "Skywalker Legacy"

These characters all have a last name for a reason. Not a historical or social reason either. It simply adds depth to the character. If you have ever played an actual Role Playing Game (Pen and Paper) you might understand the desire to give you character a proper name, like all the characters we loved in this IP. This simply limits choice for no good reason.

And I reiterate, I UNDERSTAND WHAT THE LEGACY IS ABOUT

I just don't think we should be forced to do that. I'd rather be able to build a relationship with other players that I can actually interact with.

And my Smuggler's wife, Risha, for example, won't be in his legacy . . .

So we have this game with an awesome story, and we have to ignore that for our legacy? Come on. This is like forcing you to alternate characters between each side.

Once again, nice and simple, choice good, no choice bad.

1 choice or nothing still bad. That equals my way or the highway.

Edited by Evgen

Anakin Skywalker ----Father to----> Luke Skywalker ----Brother of----> Leia Organa

Two use the last name, one uses the Legacy title. Want to go further?

Luke Skywalker ---Ally of (Or Brother-In-Law Of)---> Han Solo ---Husband of---> Leia Organa

Han Solo now would use the Legacy title. The title is intended to show there is a relationship, whether by blood, marriage, or camaraderie... but wait!

Han Solo ---Rival of---> Boba Fett

No, you get this:

Anakin Skywalker ----Father to----> Luke Skywalker ----Brother of----> Leia

Luke Skywalker ---Ally of (Or Brother-In-Law Of)---> Han ---Husband of---> Leia

Han ---Rival of---> Boba

Now do you get what I am saying?

I understand the legacy. It just shouldn't be linked to second names.

They could allow spaces in names, 100% technically possible.

Allow setting "use legacy title" option to let you select a different family name.

Legacy names aren't used to identify your account or character from a system perspective. So they could be anything.

I don't see what's so difficult except the OP is hung up on surnames and has been said over and over and over and over again... it *doesn't* have to be a surname.

The way I do it is my main character displays the legacy name as a surname... all my other characters display the legacy name as a title. Race, relationship etc.... it all fits.... makes sense to me that way and ofc it has to be unique that makes sense too.

And if you really hate it you can opt out and not display it at all... fuss about nothing imo.

Legacy system is good. Legacy name as the only option for a last name is dumb. That's pretty much the crux of it. Can't believe people are really defending the current implementation and accusing people who aren't fans of it of lacking imagination, because we don't want to come up with some cockamamie reason why a Pureblood Sith would have the same last name as a Mirialan.

Yes, you can turn it off. We get it. In fact, I've done exactly that on all of my characters on two servers. Still, I would prefer a system that I'd actually want to use. I'm sure BioWare are smart enough to come up with something that can appeal both to the "it's fine as it is" crowd and the people, like me, who have eight characters with eight different last names who don't necessarily have anything to do with each other and certainly aren't all part of the same "legacy".

So to sum up, neat feature. Hate that it was their solution to players wanting last names.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

I don't see what's so difficult except the OP is hung up on surnames and has been said over and over and over and over again... it *doesn't* have to be a surname.

The way I do it is my main character displays the legacy name as a surname... all my other characters display the legacy name as a title. Race, relationship etc.... it all fits.... makes sense to me that way and ofc it has to be unique that makes sense too.

And if you really hate it you can opt out and not display it at all... fuss about nothing imo.

I went back and red the OP again just to be sure. You haven't addressed what he's talking about. It's not just that he doesn't want that same name for all his characters, that's a small part. It's that he DOES want different surnames for his characters.

I think all his points are valid and his suggestions would be great.

I would love to be able to play with a "relative"

I was hoping when the race unlocks come out to create twin Twi'lek bounty hunters with a friend. :) For any who have played KotOR II ;)

If we could have the same surname it would be obvious.

Just like people don't care about their characters eye colour, some do, so the option is there. We don't have that option with surnames. Right now it's like you have the eye colour options of blue, light blue, or blank soulless eyes. And some people here think that is ok.

Edited by Evgen

Just like people don't care about their characters eye colour, some do, so the option is there. We don't have that option with surnames. Right now it's like you have the eye colour options of blue, light blue, or blank soulless eyes. And some people here think that is ok.

In a way, it's almost more like they said, if your first character has blue eyes, then all of your characters have to have blue eyes, or they get no eye color at all--you'll just get the blank soulless eyes. Lots of people would say, "That's cool--I was going to make all of my characters have blue eyes, anyway." And then you'd have people saying, "But wait--I wanted my human character to have blue eyes, my Sith to have red eyes, and my Twi'lek to have purple eyes."

"Shut up, whiners! If you don't like it, just take the white eye option."

Why do people keep making demands for realism in a sci-fi game?

What made you say that?

We are talking about character customization options.

Do you just hit random appearance, random name and go? If you do then obviously you won't get this. Just like I may not get whatever you care about. I most likely won't disrespect your opinion just because it doesn't align with mine though.

Different people want different things out of the game.

I want to play this game over and over again, for the story, I just don't want a pointless restriction on my play style. I'm patient, I realize some things will come with time. I just want to be heard on what I think is a small point that I think could be easily fixed.

Why do people keep making demands for realism in a sci-fi game?

This is a false argument. People don't ask for realism in sci-fi. They ask for believability, which is a product of internal consistency. If something loses consistency with itself, it becomes harder to believe (in the vernacular, less "realistic").

I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion, but whatever.

Back in the day... people didn't have surnames, they had occupations, positions and titles from monarchs.. John Smithe the black smith. Hans Miller who had a mill. Robert, Son of John (Johnson) and that gut who saved a king from a charging bull got the title "Turnbull"

Just shedding some insight.

Its not really a surname, its a legacy name. You can even change it to like a subtitle in the options.

People just need to let go and relax. Its just a damn game.

And for first names, might as well just have a random name generator with no option to make your own.

• 1 year later...
Everyone has been trying to defend the fact that your Legacy name is tied to your characters. That names evolve from occupations, you have the option of not showing it, etc. That's great. I can understand the defence, however, let's get to the point: and that is that some people want to make characters that aren't related to the other characters and that they still want a last name. Is that so hard? You can still have the legacy tree, except you have the choice of having a related or unrelated character in the same universe at the same time, that omg, have different surnames. Realism in a science fiction game has nothing to do with this request, it's simply an enjoyment for those people that want to create a fantasy character with a little bit of background that's already pre-fabbed as it is. I love the storylines in this game, but if everyone is playing out the same story, it would be nice to have something a little unique to it., like a freaking last name that isn't the same for ALL your characters.

I love the storylines in this game' date=' but if everyone is playing out the same story, it would be nice to have something a little unique to it., like a freaking last name that isn't the same for ALL your characters.[/quote']

Since the previously last post of this thread was nearly two years old, I guess it would have been better to just suggest a customary title, that could serve as a surname... actually I vaguelly remember that something like that was already suggested less than a year ago.

Edited by JPryde