M1-4X tanking

mikethemad

Look , anyone who says forex sucks isn't either gearing him or using him correctly. He is so awesome that I just throw my trauma probe and the regenerate from the adv. Med probe and start dpsing down mobs. I can solo silver, gold, and boss mobs with ease. I can solo 2 man's with him as well. Just get him hooked up with all up to date blues with cybertech and get him am up to date weapon and he rocks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what people are complaining about M1-4X is awesome for me... But of course I am a Combat Medic with Cybertech leveled so he gets the best gear for his level.

I think I would use the healer companion if I was a DPS Commando.

Nah, the healer will get aggro too often for my taste. 4x lets you dps without pushback and is easy to keep up vs any non-champion with only 5 points in combat medic. He can tank non-elite pulls without needing a single heal.

I don't know what people are complaining about M1-4X is awesome for me... But of course I am a Combat Medic with Cybertech leveled so he gets the best gear for his level.

I think I would use the healer companion if I was a DPS Commando.

Nah, the healer will get aggro too often for my taste. 4x lets you dps without pushback and is easy to keep up vs any non-champion with only 5 points in combat medic. He can tank non-elite pulls without needing a single heal.

I like 4X, I want to use him, but it feels like I am gimping myself using him. I am not a Cybertech, and gear may be an issue, but using the quests rewards to gear him, he feels much too squishy for a tank.

The other companions seem fine using quest rewards and hand-me-downs. 4X seems much weaker in comparison.

If the only way to use him effectively, is to be a Cybertech, I do not think he is balanced properly.

EDIT: one thing I noticed about 4X is that you have to heal him up after each battle. The other Companions regenerate naturally. You have to RnR to heal 4X.

Edited by Brad-

I was using Dorne for a while because 4X didn't seem to be working very well for me and I had her gear up pretty good. But as a Combat Medic...there were some areas where I just needed more fire power and Dorne wasn't cutting it.

So I boosted 4X's gear up and here is what I noticed. 4X takes a lot more damage than Dorne did...but at the same time, I don't have to heal myself as much...because he's taunting. He takes more damage because more people are shooting him due to his taunts. My play style changed a bit to where I start CC'ing people...which 4X will ignore (thankfully better than stupid people I group with). Once I changed my play style and geared 4X, he has been my companion of choice as a Combat Medic. With a lack of tank...I'm also using him for FPs with a friend. Working very well.

After gearing up and playing with Forex (M1-4X) a lot more I have totally changed my mind about him. He has become my favorite companion to play with! He tanks extremely well (if you know how to use him) & he does good damage too. Plus, in my opinion, he's probably the coolest looking companion in the entire game. :)

He's harder to gear well than an organic tank due to being a droid, you really need Cybertech to keep him in blues most of the time, since he can't wear you hand-me-downs. He's a perfectly fine tank as long as you can gear him adequate. I think a lot of these people are DPS Commandos who are trying to heal him with their untalented heals, which is rather hard. IMO Only healers should make extensive use of Tank companions, DPS are better off sticking with the healer companions, even if they can offheal. Edited by Fishcatch

Not being a cybertech, I have really just now started the transition from Elara to 4x. Yes, even though I am a combat medic, I still used to roll with Elara (and still do for the tougher fights) becuase I can do more damage and burn though stuff faster using my own dps and letting her heal me. It started around lvl 35 or so.

Now with the better mods and mod-able armor quest rewards, I can finally gear him up and have been using him almost exclusively for the first time on a planet (Balmora). Helped that I also quest picked a mod rifle that I could upgrade as well. Big difference there.

If you are Gunnery, when you get Curtain of Fire skill filled out, M1-4X or the alien guy becomes very useful. Mobs simply don't live long enough because of the ridiculous DPS output but you need to have no threat to avoid incoming damage so you can get full use of Full Auto.

Open up his skill bar and always get him to attack with Flameguard, this puts up his 20% armour boost immediately and causes a ton of threat. He will not use it against purely ranged targets till he pulls them in, same with EMP Blast. You can follow this up with his EMP Blast, if not using CC. At start of tough fight with multiple mobs, use his Deploy Shields for the 25% damage reduction as this will be the time he takes the most damage. Companion abilities don't affect your GCD so with hotkeys it is very easy to do 2 commands at once.

If he continues to stand in a continually AoE'd spot which companions are stupid and do, then you can set him to Passive, wait till out of the AoE area, switch back to tank and harpoon the mob to him. Only needed for some really tough fights.

If you are Gunnery, when you get Curtain of Fire skill filled out, M1-4X or the alien guy becomes very useful. Mobs simply don't live long enough because of the ridiculous DPS output but you need to have no threat to avoid incoming damage so you can get full use of Full Auto.

Open up his skill bar and always get him to attack with Flameguard, this puts up his 20% armour boost immediately and causes a ton of threat. He will not use it against purely ranged targets till he pulls them in, same with EMP Blast. You can follow this up with his EMP Blast, if not using CC. At start of tough fight with multiple mobs, use his Deploy Shields for the 25% damage reduction as this will be the time he takes the most damage. Companion abilities don't affect your GCD so with hotkeys it is very easy to do 2 commands at once.

If he continues to stand in a continually AoE'd spot which companions are stupid and do, then you can set him to Passive, wait till out of the AoE area, switch back to tank and harpoon the mob to him. Only needed for some really tough fights.

No. He is still worthless in every way compared to Elara, CoF doesn't make any difference at all. He's only good if you're a combat medic.

Edited by RamataKahn

• 2 weeks later...
At level 50 he's pure ownage with good gear. Not sure what any of you are referring to. Plus, with the security key vendor apperance customization from ilum orbital station, he owns even more. Sure, he could be buffed, but definitely not worthless. Edited by ReynoldsCK

Forex is my favourite, I had Dorne with me as I leveled as Gunnery, until the 30s where I switched to Medic and needed alternated Forex/Jorgan. Now at 50 he is the only one I use, as a Cybertech he is in full blues which is more than sufficient, along with purple accessories and a Champion PvP gun.

I don't usually have to worry about healing him unless we're taking on too many silvers/golds, and even then if I needed to I can keep him up indefinitely whilst he tanks and kills everything.

At level 50 he's pure ownage with good gear. Not sure what any of you are referring to. Plus, with the security key vendor apperance customization from ilum orbital station, he owns even more. Sure, he could be buffed, but definitely not worthless.

No, only if you are combat medic.

I am a assault specced and use fourex all the time to tank for me. I find him very useful and rarely come across situations that we cannot handle. It is important to gear him up (like all companions) and it can be a bit of a pain to find gear, but when he is geared up his aggro retention/survivability is great.

There was only one fight that I had to use Elara for and that was because the mob had a lot of health (and I was two levels lower than the mob).

No, only if you are combat medic.

As a combat medic I haven't found a use for a tank companion besides soloing champions, kill stuff much faster with a DPS one and you don't need to have someone tank for you because you can heal and have heavy armor. Some very rare elites can be troublesome, but a bit of kiting and it was fine.

Im only level 32 atm so I dontt have vic I have used both dorne and mx and and find both are good in their appointed role.

as with most pets I found that you need to heavily invest in your companions. I replaced most of the gear on both chars. MX has all blue however he still take a fair amount of damage. so he needs to be babysitted a little. As I get more defence and absorb into him can seeing him being awesome.

Dorne on the other hand works fine out of the box but I did upgrade her pistols barrel and mod to replace the cunning.. She is pulling a bit of agro so a new set of armor wouldn't go amiss.

Some people say use mx some say use Dorne. I use both as the situation is needed and it's fun seeing Dorne running around with Dance gear.

Oh and Im gunnery Specced

Avikall

Edited by jhMaracle

My M1-4X is decked out in lv 50/51 gear, i always tried to keep him up top.

Reasons for that were:

- He is awesome

- With him tanking and me healing i only needed 2 DDs to do H4 and lower/mid FPs.

- He is awesome

- Aric is a pain in the butt

Just wanted to mention something I've noticed with Forex, not sure if someone brought it up before(haven't read the whole thread).

If he's tanking a ranged mob that he can't use the tow cable on (So he stays ranged). Then he won't use his Fireguard ability, which boosts his armor by 25% or such. As it's has a 8m range. Even if it's set to auto use he won't until he's in range, unless you activate it yourself. CTRL+6 by default.

Forex is easily my favorite companion. He tanks like a beast (especially if you micromanage him a little), he takes a good amount of damage when geared properly, and he is also hilarious!

Im a combat medic, and i level with a vanguard dps, and a consular dps, and Forex has been more than capable of tanking any of the heroic instances for us as long as we are smart about CC etc. Hes not perfect, but i am very pleased with at the moment.

I have been using Vic mostly myself, and he is suitably awesome (especially as a 400 Armormech myself and with the purple Techblade I snagged him for 1300 credits!) but I am starting to get tired of seeing -80 affection when I spare people. :rolleyes:

I may give 4X a try after collecting some gear for him.

Edited by Syas

Currently having some problems with his survivability at the moment as well. Rolling as a medic so I kind of need him to bebetter. However I think its more of a gear issue. So what I think I am going to do is drop armormech and pick up cybertech. Should be an easy transition since they share the same gathering skills. Besides, armormech has just been a pain to get anything useful out of anyays.

If you are a Gunnery/Assault Commando you should be using Dorne.

If you are a Combat Medic you should be using Aric.

If you really want a tank companion you should use Tanno Vik, as he actually uses his abilities well.

Having a tank with CM seems like the way to go but it isn't. Vik and M1 both do VERY mediocre damage and it really slows you down (especially 35+). Aric only takes moderately more damage but is capable of dishing out A LOT more. I have absolutely no problem keeping Aric up against elites while still being able to dish out some damage myself.

Edited by Rehash

Having a tank companion as gunnery is great, you don't lose ticks from full auto. Well geared forex can just about tank an elite to death without needing a single heal...

You must have a different forex then me then, because even in purples and blues he's lucky not to be killed by a strong mob much less an elite.