L2WG = Learn to win games (the right way)

Polymerize

Stop degrading the thought level of this thread to talking about stats I already said they were irrelevant because they are easy to put up. If you're discussing STATS I'll go ahead and assume that you're bad and that improving your stats per game is the only way you can improve yourself as a gamer trying to WIN GAMES.

None of you guys are even mentioning a single thing to debate/converse the "GOLDEN RULE OF VOIDSTAR" or anything else that is relevant in this thread.

Try to stay on subject, this thread is for improving the quality of SWTOR's PVP Community. :o

heres where u r wrong if you die in voidstar after the door is open and you are still in first room alot of times you get sent to first rooms respawn area. so to let said defender kill you hurts your team. you should only let him kill you if you have made it a little ways pass the door. So maybe your intelligence isnt as high as you might think.

Just saying check your facts before you bash others for not being so smart mmkay

Jenna'syyde your neighborhood DICK

Edited by rlamela

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... been reading all the trolling and flaming on this thread and I guess I'm one of those unintelligent, unskilled, can't-even-do-the-brute-force-part noobs you all are talking about. I can understand the concept of killing off the other guys just as the doors close, but how do you manage that?

Count the ticks? OK, is there some trick to this, or do you just know the cycle time of the doors and keep track of that vs. the timer for the round? Like (with made up numbers), "ok, the doors cycle every 30 seconds, we are 1 minute 25 seconds into the game, so the door will open again in 5 seconds, so let's wait 8 seconds, and *then* kill the guy so he'll have a full door to wait through". Like that? Or is there some other indication of the door open/close times available that I don't know about?

But even given that I know *when* the optimal time is to kill off the enemy... I can see doing that for one, maybe two key players if your team is coordinating. But the majority of the other team? Really? You'd have to kill off probably 5-6 of the other side in about 10 seconds, right? If you can do that, why does timing it with the door open/close even matter? You'd be owning them anyway. And it's not like the other side has no say in when you kill them off. Assuming a somewhat equal match, then if you decide to hold off on killing that healer for 10 seconds, won't that healer heal back up, his CD refresh, etc. Now he's not on death's door anymore, 10 seconds later, when you decide *now* is the time to kill him - so maybe it's not so easy now. Seems like there would be a tradeoff between killing em when you get the chance, and holding off to a better time but then maybe not being able to take them out at all.

But I play a tank, and my skill at the brute-force attacking is such that I'm having a good game if I get 150K, and once in a while I'll break 200K damage. Maybe I'm underestimating how easily/quickly a good DPS (or two) can take someone out when they decide it's time?

Your post is:

1) If door opens 1 or 2 with speed movement move forward, rest cc.

2) If you are defending and door opens then die

rest is a page of bla bla insults and nonsense.

PS: , 2) you forgot the exception unless your team has reached the bridge console in which case use brute force and keep on wiping them out quickly, an unorganised group with crap dps won't be able to pass the bridge and the reason they passed the first door is because well we are humans and we make mistakes.

EDIT: your title sucks

Edited by MusicRider

heres where u r wrong if you die in voidstar after the door is open and you are still in first room alot of times you get sent to first rooms respawn area. so to let said defender kill you hurts your team. you should only let him kill you if you have made it a little ways pass the door. So maybe your intelligence isnt as high as you might think.

Just saying check your facts before you bash others for not being so smart mmkay

Jenna'syyde your neighborhood DICK

Thanks for the response. You claim that if you die as an attacker, you can sometimes respawn further back in the map than where you died, correct? Well, I have a solution for you.

As soon as JUST ONE of you teammates gets ahead to where the next objective is, you automatically spawn at the next spawn point. So this might be a little tough for you to implement, since you have not even learned of it yet, but just open your map after you die and make sure someone is ahead so you will spawn right next to them. I bet you thought that the game just 'randomly' gave you spawns after you died, amirite? That's not true though.

Example: You are an attacker and your team just armed the second bomb. The bomb goes off. Everyone begins to transition forward and you are in a 1v1 at the bridge. You decide to die at the bridge because you've listened to me ( but you don't admit it ). Instead of immediately spawning, you instead open your map and wait 2 to 3 seconds for your friendly sorc to make it RIGHT PAST the point of the map where your next spawn point is. Which is right where the 3 barriers are located. You spawn ahead of everyone else. BAM.

I don't blame you for not being aware though, I see people streaming on Twitch.tv that are 'good', that don't even know something simple as that.

So thanks, Jenna'syyde your neighborhood NOOB, for representing all those who need to be further educated. :rolleyes:

Edited by Polymerize

So... been reading all the trolling and flaming on this thread and I guess I'm one of those unintelligent, unskilled, can't-even-do-the-brute-force-part noobs you all are talking about. I can understand the concept of killing off the other guys just as the doors close, but how do you manage that?

Count the ticks? OK, is there some trick to this, or do you just know the cycle time of the doors and keep track of that vs. the timer for the round? Like (with made up numbers), "ok, the doors cycle every 30 seconds, we are 1 minute 25 seconds into the game, so the door will open again in 5 seconds, so let's wait 8 seconds, and *then* kill the guy so he'll have a full door to wait through". Like that? Or is there some other indication of the door open/close times available that I don't know about?

But even given that I know *when* the optimal time is to kill off the enemy... I can see doing that for one, maybe two key players if your team is coordinating. But the majority of the other team? Really? You'd have to kill off probably 5-6 of the other side in about 10 seconds, right? If you can do that, why does timing it with the door open/close even matter? You'd be owning them anyway. And it's not like the other side has no say in when you kill them off. Assuming a somewhat equal match, then if you decide to hold off on killing that healer for 10 seconds, won't that healer heal back up, his CD refresh, etc. Now he's not on death's door anymore, 10 seconds later, when you decide *now* is the time to kill him - so maybe it's not so easy now. Seems like there would be a tradeoff between killing em when you get the chance, and holding off to a better time but then maybe not being able to take them out at all.

But I play a tank, and my skill at the brute-force attacking is such that I'm having a good game if I get 150K, and once in a while I'll break 200K damage. Maybe I'm underestimating how easily/quickly a good DPS (or two) can take someone out when they decide it's time?

Hi Banderal.

You ask, how do you count the ticks? You literally, LOOK at the ticks on the door. That is how you count the ticks. Often times I'll be in LOS so I can see the ticks on the door. As anyone knows, you're going to get drawn away from LOS of the door at times though, at that point you'll be best served to have somewhat of a 'mental timer' in your head going off.

Example: You just looked up at the door and saw that there were 3 ticks left. An opposing PT just pulled you 30m away. Since you know there was just 3 ticks left on the door, your mental timer in your head usually has a pretty good estimate of when the door will open... regardless of actually seeing it or having an EXACT timer going off as if you were actually timing it.

And also, no. I'm not presuming that you can kill the entire team in the space of 10~15 seconds and make them all respawn behind the door with 4 ticks left on it. That is absurd to assume. This is what I'm trying to get people to realize:

Stop doing, BLIND dps. The kills you get on VS should completely be dictated by how many ticks are on the door. YES, sometimes you will kill defenders when they only have 1 tick left, but you can stop that from happening more often than not be adhering to the golden rule. You can start to begin to implement the golden rule with ONE STEP and then work your way up the skill ladder because it is not easy.

STEP ONE: This is the easiest way for you to see the effectivity of the golden rule. There is an 8v8 going on at one side of the map. You see that the defender's door is about to open in ~3seconds. You see a PT with 4k health left hiding behind the pillar. INSTEAD of immediately going to finishing him off, you instead resist the urge for a mere ~4 seconds and THEN kill him because you KNOW that their door had just opened ( therefore was just about to close as well ). So instead of giving him a FREE door by killing him immediately, you used your brain and followed the GOLDEN RULE and made that PT sit out of the match for upwards of 20~30 seconds because you know that you killed him and his door just closed in his face :cool:.

>At this point of the match it is now a 8v7 for 20~30 seconds.

The GOLDEN RULE advocates for attackers to dictate when to kill a defender to be a function of how many ticks are left on the door.

As you get better at implementing the GOLDEN RULE into your game, you can start getting multiple enemies low on health by switching amongst them all (instead of focusing down somebody and moving on to the next, it requires more skill/awareness.)

GOLDEN RULE does not work every time, it is not fail-proof. PVP is a crazy scene at times! But if you start to implement it in your game, you'll see that your KILLS will affect the game more so than just by putting points on the stat sheet. Your BLIND KILLS will effectively become INTENTIONAL KILLS and your opposition will be wondering why they are so 'unlucky' to be behind the respawn door so much, when in reality there is no luck anymore, because you are controlling their respawn door by using the GOLDEN RULE. :eek::cool:

Edited by Polymerize

I have learned from this thread:

- To watch for the door ticks before burning someone down.

- To wait for respawn until someone passes the next respawn point.

I need to work on:

- my burst rotation in order to time my attacks for the doors.

This is useful for me, as I didn't know. I apply the silver rule plenty of times, stalling people and staying alive instead of bursting (I'm playing gunslinger and sentinel ATM).

I did not like the tone in which the OP wrote it, though, and all the E-peen splashing and so-called trolling I had to waste my time reading on.

Oh well, no pain no gain, I guess.

Your post is:

1) If door opens 1 or 2 with speed movement move forward, rest cc.

2) If you are defending and door opens then die

rest is a page of bla bla insults and nonsense.

PS: , 2) you forgot the exception unless your team has reached the bridge console in which case use brute force and keep on wiping them out quickly, an unorganised group with crap dps won't be able to pass the bridge and the reason they passed the first door is because well we are humans and we make mistakes.

EDIT: your title sucks

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Your mere two incredibly poor summarized points of my thread are egregious. I'm not even going to comment on that.

And obviously, VS can be broken down to a much more intricate level. Talking about it is much more effective, typing is not my forte. But yes, if you are an attacker and your team gets to the bridge you do need to wipe everyone on the defending side so you can arm the bridge. That is why PTs/SINs should do like I said and just be jumping off of the map and pulling enemies with them ( I never see this, sad imo). You get put in this position if your team has a poor transition, in which you should refer to my most OBVIOUS points (one of which you mentioned, gj), and also the SILVER RULE OF VS. Go reread the thread please.

Title does suck. Thanks for the further degradation of the quality of this thread as it is really helping everyone improve their gameplay.

Edited by Polymerize

I have learned from this thread:

- To watch for the door ticks before burning someone down.

- To wait for respawn until someone passes the next respawn point.

I need to work on:

- my burst rotation in order to time my attacks for the doors.

This is useful for me, as I didn't know. I apply the silver rule plenty of times, stalling people and staying alive instead of bursting (I'm playing gunslinger and sentinel ATM).

I did not like the tone in which the OP wrote it, though, and all the E-peen splashing and so-called trolling I had to waste my time reading on.

Oh well, no pain no gain, I guess.

Excellent. And yes, there is no excuse for the immaturity. I shouldn't have that tone if I actually want to help people improve themselves. Thanks for the constructive criticism and feedback.

Excellent. And yes, there is no excuse for the immaturity. I shouldn't have that tone if I actually want to help people improve themselves. Thanks for the constructive criticism and feedback.

It's OK, I guess. I still learned stuff, which makes this thread (to me) more useful than most other PvP threads.

I will still read about the other strategies you might add, if you are still willing to add them. As of now, I only PUG because I'm a casual player and therefore guildless (I don't want to burden guilds to carry me when I decide to play). So the forums are the only way for me to improve my skills.

Sadly, few truly informative strategies/threads exist.

Polymerize, thank you!

Playing a Guardian mostly, I've been very aware (and using) the SILVER RULE OF VS (with all the slows, CC and the "don't kill anyone in TRANSITION PHASE" rule).

What I've been trying to unsuccesfully to do though, was to control the freaking defending door (I have a chart with times written down to know when it'll open... which will never work when you go second on offense if the other team completed the map - the timer will be off and then it's hell), but I never realized that there was an actual visual tick on the door... how noob of me. I doubt anyone in my guild is aware of this atm.

This is so awesome!

I always give medals at the end of match to people I've seen steal a door or a node, someone how kept his CC to prevent a cap or to allow one of us to cap (people DO waste their CC for nothing...). Playing a Guardian, I can usually CC a bad player long enough to let one of us cap a node. Nothing is more frustrating when you get a 2v1 in Alderaan, you jump, push back (immobilizing for 3 sec) then chain your CCs to see that your teammate wasn't even capping the freaking node! DPS, HPS or any stat shown on the freaking board at the end is worth anything, especially if you loose. When I do get a medal, it's always from someone that is aware of my play, and not because of the DPS numbers I put out. Because DPS is the worst stat to look at to judge a player.

Also, while I'm at it ************, an important skill to me appart from doing objectives and awareness is : "Can you win a 1v1 most of the time?". If you can't, HTF do you plan on defending a node against an enemy player that just pops there out of stealth (nevermind two...), and HTF do you plan to capture a node (this doesn't apply to AHG) going there by yourself, if you can't win the 1v1 fast enough and cap before more come? It's sad the number of people that will just bang their head stupidly going for objectives they will never cap in a lifetime, because they can't win this 1v1 or 2v2 (or even 2v1s, I've seen that) that is necessary to cap.

I've been defending a node one time in NC (no stealth would do it of course... this was a pug) and this Operative banged his head at me 3-4-5 times in a row. He'd come and die every time. This guy couldn't win a 1v1, but still wasn't south to help, meaning it was a 6v7 for them the whole time and they got owned.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your post, hope I'll get to play with you sometimes.

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Your mere two incredibly poor summarized points of my thread are egregious. I'm not even going to comment on that.

And obviously, VS can be broken down to a much more intricate level. Talking about it is much more effective, typing is not my forte. But yes, if you are an attacker and your team gets to the bridge you do need to wipe everyone on the defending side so you can arm the bridge. That is why PTs/SINs should do like I said and just be jumping off of the map and pulling enemies with them ( I never see this, sad imo). You get put in this position if your team has a poor transition, in which you should refer to my most OBVIOUS points (one of which you mentioned, gj), and also the SILVER RULE OF VS. Go reread the thread please.

Title does suck. Thanks for the further degradation of the quality of this thread as it is really helping everyone improve their gameplay.

You are welcome mate. Was just being to the point and then replying in your tone. If you really wanna help inexperienced players a "you are stupid and I know best attitude won't help". Also trying to find the points in the sea of word buffling is very unproductive. I am already aware of pretty much everything you mentioned and I even found it hard to get the juice out of it. Imagine someone who is totally new. This is a warzone game, not a NASA mission. In a nutshell your 1 page post could have been explained better in a few lines.

Edited by MusicRider

You are welcome mate. Was just being to the point and then replying in your tone. If you really wanna help inexperienced players a "you are stupid and I know best attitude won't help". Also trying to find the points in the sea of word buffling is very unproductive. I am already aware of pretty much everything you mentioned and I even found it hard to get the juice out of it. Imagine someone who is totally new. This is a warzone game, not a NASA mission. In a nutshell your 1 page post could have been explained better in a few lines.

Such as:

1) be aware of the spawn door timer. (the circle in the middle of the spawn door. When looking at said circle, if the TIcking spot is top left when looking at it( 9-12 oclock range), that means you have less than 5 secs to cap the door.

2) sometimes sacrifcing yourself to give your teammates a head start is preferable to just dpsing randomly/

3) on transition(meaning moving to the next point of the map) don't kill enemy players if you can instead cc and slow.

4) be aware of potential healers/tanks/dpsers, and mark priority targets accordingly.

5) if tie, team with most kills wins now.

The DPS score at the end of a WZ, is the absolute best way to guage the performance of a person playing a DPS class, period. I don't care what you try to say otherwise.

I guess you play one of the DPS-monsters (Smasher or Pyro PT).

I also guess it's hard to out-DPS the damn Lightning Sorcs, Arsenal Mercs and Conc Ops with those 2 specs!

Edited by iphobia

Such as:

1) be aware of the spawn door timer. (the circle in the middle of the spawn door. When looking at said circle, if the TIcking spot is top left when looking at it( 9-12 oclock range), that means you have less than 5 secs to cap the door.

2) sometimes sacrifcing yourself to give your teammates a head start is preferable to just dpsing randomly/

3) on transition(meaning moving to the next point of the map) don't kill enemy players if you can instead cc and slow.

4) be aware of potential healers/tanks/dpsers, and mark priority targets accordingly.

5) if tie, team with most kills wins now.

This is a rather simple, shallow summary of what was written. I would suggest new readers to neglect it.

You can't summarize awareness/strategy with a single statement. Not everyone can infer the valuable information from a series of single statement.

Yeay, another person claiming that they know about all of this and that it's all obvious and simple and derpy derp to all players. Sorry, but until I witness other players formally discussing these things, or actually doing it in a war zone, I'm going to call ********.

This is a rather simple, shallow summary of what was written. I would suggest new readers to neglect it.

You can't summarize awareness/strategy with a single statement. Not everyone can infer the valuable information from a series of single statement.

I never tried. I just wanted a summary of what you had written. Your wall of text maybe tl:dr for some people. I will concede that I did not go into detail concerning specifics, but I felt that I didn't have too. this was more of a you people think it's too complicated here is the dumbed down version to at least get some players a general Idea of what was written.

Polymerize, thank you!

Playing a Guardian mostly, I've been very aware (and using) the SILVER RULE OF VS (with all the slows, CC and the "don't kill anyone in TRANSITION PHASE" rule).

What I've been trying to unsuccesfully to do though, was to control the freaking defending door (I have a chart with times written down to know when it'll open... which will never work when you go second on offense if the other team completed the map - the timer will be off and then it's hell), but I never realized that there was an actual visual tick on the door... how noob of me. I doubt anyone in my guild is aware of this atm.

This is so awesome!

I always give medals at the end of match to people I've seen steal a door or a node, someone how kept his CC to prevent a cap or to allow one of us to cap (people DO waste their CC for nothing...). Playing a Guardian, I can usually CC a bad player long enough to let one of us cap a node. Nothing is more frustrating when you get a 2v1 in Alderaan, you jump, push back (immobilizing for 3 sec) then chain your CCs to see that your teammate wasn't even capping the freaking node! DPS, HPS or any stat shown on the freaking board at the end is worth anything, especially if you loose. When I do get a medal, it's always from someone that is aware of my play, and not because of the DPS numbers I put out. Because DPS is the worst stat to look at to judge a player.

Also, while I'm at it ************, an important skill to me appart from doing objectives and awareness is : "Can you win a 1v1 most of the time?". If you can't, HTF do you plan on defending a node against an enemy player that just pops there out of stealth (nevermind two...), and HTF do you plan to capture a node (this doesn't apply to AHG) going there by yourself, if you can't win the 1v1 fast enough and cap before more come? It's sad the number of people that will just bang their head stupidly going for objectives they will never cap in a lifetime, because they can't win this 1v1 or 2v2 (or even 2v1s, I've seen that) that is necessary to cap.

I've been defending a node one time in NC (no stealth would do it of course... this was a pug) and this Operative banged his head at me 3-4-5 times in a row. He'd come and die every time. This guy couldn't win a 1v1, but still wasn't south to help, meaning it was a 6v7 for them the whole time and they got owned.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your post, hope I'll get to play with you sometimes.

Outstanding. I'm incredibly happy to know that at least one other person is on the same wavelength as I. My favorite part of this game is being able to break down every part of each gametype and determining what is the BEST thing to do to affect the outcome of the game and not just blindly put up numbers.

Ill be discussing the other pertinent topics you brought up in another thread in the future. Hope to have some good discussions/debates concerning awareness/strategy in the days to come.

I never tried. I just wanted a summary of what you had written. Your wall of text maybe tl:dr for some people. I will concede that I did not go into detail concerning specifics, but I felt that I didn't have too. this was more of a you people think it's too complicated here is the dumbed down version to at least get some players a general Idea of what was written.

I understand what your goal was completely, just noting that is was not a very accurate assessment. After classes I'll attempt to make a concise guide of was written.

I understand what your goal was completely, just noting that is was not a very accurate assessment. After classes I'll attempt to make a concise guide of was written.

sounds good. can't wait to read it. Haven't seen a lot of good strat tips since I used to do rateds. It's nice to know that others pay attention around them. Huttball is my absolute favorite warzone. That one I want to read.

It's the only warzone were you can tell someone to die in a fire then kill them with fire with just 2 buttons.

While I appreciate the articulation of these strategies, I also was a bit put off by the tone. Your education serves you well (is this an appropriate place for "...your not a jedi yet!" ?)

In any case, I do like to see accurate posts about various strategies that all players should be aware of. I look forward to seeing more guides from the OP as I thought this post did an acceptable job of outlining how to increase awareness and skill as a team player.

I do think that this level of play simply requires the coordination that comes from voice communication. In my experience, in pug play even if I am playing at this level, and I am playing with others who I know are capable of playing with this type of awareness it is much more difficult because of the lack of communication.

Bottom line... SWTOR needs built in voice comm to allow everyone to play at this level.

Also, I would like to read some posts about how to play effectively with people of various skill levels (such as pug groups) and still win games. My personal opinion is that it takes even more thought and strategy because you have to react to not only the opposing team, but what your team is doing as well. And really, the opposing force is way more predictable than your own team!

Played against UGly many times (No i am not trolling etc this time, just a friendly constructive crit) that ugly and i would wager 90% of his class lack good awareness.

Poly...

Ignore him... this guy is just a no name that's mad that he got smashed on by my guild in a reg. He really won't bring anything constructive nor would I take his PvP "knowledge" seriously.

He's spent the last 2 weeks just following me on every thread and throwing out insults.

Personally I love it... if I can make someone rage it means I'm doing something right. :D

And I only understand half of what he's typing as well... I would guess that there's a language barrier here.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

While I appreciate the articulation of these strategies, I also was a bit put off by the tone. Your education serves you well (is this an appropriate place for "...your not a jedi yet!" ?)

In any case, I do like to see accurate posts about various strategies that all players should be aware of. I look forward to seeing more guides from the OP as I thought this post did an acceptable job of outlining how to increase awareness and skill as a team player.

I do think that this level of play simply requires the coordination that comes from voice communication. In my experience, in pug play even if I am playing at this level, and I am playing with others who I know are capable of playing with this type of awareness it is much more difficult because of the lack of communication.

Bottom line... SWTOR needs built in voice comm to allow everyone to play at this level.

Also, I would like to read some posts about how to play effectively with people of various skill levels (such as pug groups) and still win games. My personal opinion is that it takes even more thought and strategy because you have to react to not only the opposing team, but what your team is doing as well. And really, the opposing force is way more predictable than your own team!

Well said.

After PVP'ing on POT5 for a solid 2 months I saw maybe 2 players that actually knew how to play the game. They had high awareness throughout every game regardless of what map it was and regardless of what situation they were placed in. Something that would get unnoticed by a player that does not have high awareness... I digress, I have not seen much of POT5 so I can relate you to another circumstance that just leads me to believe even further that the 'average pvper' does almost none of the things I mentioned about VS, NOR do they even discuss it.

Do you play rated WZ often? The decent rated teams know everything you listed in your original post. To these people it is obvious. That said, the folks who say "the goods already know all this and the bads will never learn" are just trolling. While it is true that 90% are not really interested in learning the things you mentioned, your original post is a valuable guide to the inexperienced player with desire to play better.

If somebody posts something that seems stupid and makes you mad, they are probably trolling you. Ignore them. They are relying on the universal impulse to want to have the last word when you believe you are right. Do not give in, just ignore them and respond to those who are making constructive comments.

EDIT: FYI, Uglymrj may troll you a bit but he is one of the constructive posters here on the forum. Start making a list of folks like him and another list of folks whose posts you skip over. You can even put the most worthless forum posters on your "ignore" list and not see their posts.

Edited by funkiestj