Why dont dark jedi get banished from the republic?

TheKingsVillian

I was just sitting down having a read over at wookiepedia and i had a thought in regard to our world within the old republic.

Why are dark jedi not exiled from the republic, and vise versa light side sith should be banished from the empire.

The only thing it would effect would be guilds, and friends lists.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by TheKingsVillian

Why?

Because they would have to build an entire game system around switching factions for the classes and there's really no way you could effectively join the opposite faction's class story "in progress" so they'd have to built an entirely separate class story for the defectors.

Yeah, guilds and friends lists are the LEAST of the problems for doing something like this.

A far easier system would be for quest givers to just stop talking to you and friendly NPC's to attack you so you'd have to gain XP by going to different planets and grinding MOBs in the wilderness.

You'd also be shot down if you approached the fleet.

That doesn't sound like much fun.

So yeah, neat idea but WAY beyond the scope of something you're going to see in this game.

Maybe in the distant future they'll write some sort of "traitor's quest" for characters at max level to switch, but I'd imagine that it will be several years before they even consider something like that.

Edited by Rankyn

The entire Jedi Council (including Yoda and Windu) failed to detect a Sith Lord in their very midsts.

Now, Jedi are in fact irredeemably stupid, but that shows just how difficult it'd be for even Force users to perceive light/dark side alignment.

There's no obvious sign of light side alignment (unless the Force user chooses to allow the glowing effect) and there's no obvious sign of dark side alignment (again, unless the Force allows it), even among Force users.

So pretty much unlike with a reputation system (which this game desperately needs and will be added - finally - soon) there's no lore-compliant way to distinguish light/dark side players.

Edited by jgelling

Well if you look at canon star wars history there have only been a very few who could hide their

force aura/feelings from the Jed/Sith i and thats Caedus, Ben Skywalker, Mara Jade,Luke,Sidious.

Also Sidious in epi III did not know that Yoda came to his room in the senate building.So it goes both ways.

If one takes away the silly game mecanics like jedi running around in swtor with red sabers and a

non canon dark side coruption look Jedi will have no issue with feeling out a dark side user they are close to

in the real star wars universe.

There's no obvious sign of light side alignment (unless the Force user chooses to allow the glowing effect) and there's no obvious sign of dark side alignment (again, unless the Force allows it), even among Force users.

This is pretty much untrue.

Prolonged exposure to the Dark Side will have a clear, physical effect on it's wielder. The Dark Side user has no choice in that matter. It is not a matter of 'allowing' it to be visible.

It is the other way around though.. the hiding of one's physical Dark Side corruption has been a technique that has been with the Sith for a very long time. A form of Force Illusion, undetectable by the naked eye or even most Force sensing techniques.

When Palpatine was in the battle with Mace Windu, all he did was remove his Illusion in front of Anakin to make him believe Windu was killing him and that he was becoming weak. It was a great deception.

Also: Many Sith consider it a sign of weakness to hide your 'earned' marks of corruption by Force Illusion and prefer to revel in the marks they receive from the Dark Side. The Illusion technique is usually only used for infiltration purposes.. and by Dark Jedi trying to hide their own corruption.

Yeah OP, I made same question before, during closed beta/open beta, and after launch

If you look at KotOR2 and the exile storyline.

If you go dark by action (which the council would know about all you appologists) you are either killed or banished

but either way you are

NO LONGER A JEDI or apart of the jedi order

TOR makes some huge mistakes regarding Star Wars lore and they never given a acceptable reason why.

Personally I thin the color crystals should be alignment locked but there should have been like 20-30 different colors (or combos) to choose from at launch to make up for the few locked ones.

The jedi and sith system really doesnt make alot of sense.

Sith whould be dark

Jedi should be light

And short of a system to switch sides (which would be to much trouble really)

it should be locked like that

Regardless what all the "but im a grey jedi. I want all the power but none of the annoying religious/cult beleifs" demand.

I still think a better system for jedi and sith would have been a expanded system built off the original KotOR game design where players pick and choose what powers to learn and if a power is outside their core class, it costs more to learn and upgrade then a jedi that was studying that core class.

That way we could have the characters we want, designed how we wanted, even some dark powers, but still be jedi at the core.

Back during the times of the old Je'daii Order, anyone who strayed too far towards the dark side were sent to spend some time on Tython's moon, Bogan:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bogan_(moon)

During the time of this game, the Jedi would send dangerous criminals as well as presumably some Dark Jedi criminals to the Prism, a prison which oribited the sixth moon of Diab:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Diab%27s_sixth_moon

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Prism

Both of these worlds could be introduced into the game to explore.

Edited by Vitas

Back during the times of the old Je'daii Order, anyone who strayed too far towards the dark side were sent to spend some time on Tython's moon, Bogan:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bogan_(moon)

During the time of this game, the Jedi would send dangerous criminals as well as presumably some Dark Jedi criminals to the Prism, a prison which oribited the sixth moon of Diab:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Diab%27s_sixth_moon

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Prism

Both of these worlds could be introduced into the game to explore.

and that was also before the split of sith and jedi (I get the comic series to) and while interesting, completely irrelevant to this time period and era.

I still think a better system for jedi and sith would have been a expanded system built off the original KotOR game design where players pick and choose what powers to learn and if a power is outside their core class, it costs more to learn and upgrade then a jedi that was studying that core class.

Agreed. Something derived from the D&D-based system in KotOR would have been much better than the WoW-cloning BioWare went with.

Why are dark jedi not exiled from the republic, and vise versa light side sith should be banished from the empire.

If you play through as a "Dark-Side" Jedi or "Light-Side" Sith, you'll understand a bit better.

Dark Jedi aren't monsters. They're heroes, they are just a bit more ruthless in how they achieve it. I have a Dark Shadow and a Dark Sentinel. They both save people's lives. Generally, dark side choices revolve around the application of justice without mercy or a willingness to make sacrifices (of people, stuff, or morals) in order to achieve a heroic goal. While those may not be the Jedi ideal, there are plenty of Jedi who kill. In-Character justification for this is often a strict pragmatism: It's better to save the Republic at the cost of a few lives than to let the Sith continue their crimes and kill even more.

The Jedi Council doesn't always approve of the methods used by my Dark Sentinel and Dark Shadow, but they applaud the results and agree that I am making the universe a better place.

Similarly, Light Sith aren't role models. They still murder and oppress, they just aren't sociopathic about it. This one is actually a bit more clear-cut. The Dark Warrior is a character who seems to revel is violence, regardless of whether the Empire benefits or not. Even Light Inquisitors are Jerks, but the Dark Inquisitor is a straight-up sociopath, putting themselves over all others, including the empire and even the Dark Council. Both of them are self-serving to the point of being

The Light Sith, then, is something of a reformist. Generally, they are seeking to balance or temper the Darkest Sith. They aren't pushing for peace or oneness with the Force. They use the Dark Side of the Force to strengthen the Empire. Choices are usually justified by efficiency or utility to the Empire, with a number of them being more explicitly reformist in their attempts to encourage a more conscientious Empire. Light Sith have honor and loyalty to the Empire, putting the needs/goals of the Empire over their own ambitions or enjoyment of violence.

In that way, the Light Side Sith are very much like a mix of the Light versions of the Agent and Bounty Hunter. The main goals are the strengthening of the empire and the avoidance of violence which doesn't have some direct benefit.

Because "Light" and "Dark" are RELATIVE in this game. They aren't even on the same moral gradient for the Sith and the Jedi.

Light Jedi: balance, peace, self-sacrifice

Dark Jedi: justice, pragmatic warfare, self-preservation

Light Sith: loyalty, strategic warfare, patriotism

Dark Sith: sociopathy, self-aggrandizing, destruction

Canonically speaking there is only 1 Consular and 1 Jedi Knight in the story.

So from the perspective of the narrative all of those other little Jedis' running around that aren't yours don't technically exist. And within SWTORs narrative even a 'dark' Jedi Knight/Consular is completing the same task as their light side counterpart albeit in differing fashion.

So technically speaking there's not actually an entire crop of dark jedi or good sith running around.

I'm of the opinion the labels should have been order and chaos since that's the moniker they more often fit than strictly light or dark side. But I mean its' Star Wars so people expect the latter.

Edited by FROIDBUSTER

Because "Light" and "Dark" are RELATIVE in this game. They aren't even on the same moral gradient for the Sith and the Jedi.

This ^ Further Anakin was increasingly dark and was never ejected and from what i remember he took himself out of the jedi order so he could further study the dark side and the false ability to revive the dead.

This wouldnt have to be as complicated as some think. Using the anakin story one wouldn't be so dark as to be detected until deep into the story, possibly not until reaching level 50. I have gone dark at almost every turn in my agents story yet im still only dark side 4. This feature could be as basic as letting you complete your story line and then if you hit level 5 of either range your forced into empire or republic. The game already has plenty of good/bad fli flopping for NPCs. Or maybe you even just get locked out of your respective fleet. I'm 50 but still doing quests that reward dark/light points so its possible if you went too far, you got locked out and had to grind back the other way. Theres neutral areas(albeit pvp) with gtn and other resources to get things done while re-proving yourself to your faction.

I was just sitting down having a read over at wookiepedia and i had a thought in regard to our world within the old republic.

The only thing it would effect would be guilds, and friends lists.

Thoughts anyone?

Force "orientation" has no direct causal link to which side of the war you support. :cool:

Edited by Urael

Becasue if your choices mattererd and your alignment meant anything then there would be two stories and that would just be too Expensive, EA does not have that kind of money to focus on VO and storylines Edited by kirorx

Your methods for winning a war don't matter until the war is over, then you answer for your crimes once everything is said and done.

You fight for the people who have hope in you and your actions. You may be that necessary "evil" that others will use to get the job done. To exile in a time of desperation and need is to commit suicide, as well as cost the lives of millions.

Just look how desperate the Sith are, they're letting slaves be trained in the ways of the force.

If you play through as a "Dark-Side" Jedi or "Light-Side" Sith, you'll understand a bit better.

Dark Jedi aren't monsters. They're heroes, they are just a bit more ruthless in how they achieve it. I have a Dark Shadow and a Dark Sentinel. They both save people's lives. Generally, dark side choices revolve around the application of justice without mercy or a willingness to make sacrifices (of people, stuff, or morals) in order to achieve a heroic goal. While those may not be the Jedi ideal, there are plenty of Jedi who kill. In-Character justification for this is often a strict pragmatism: It's better to save the Republic at the cost of a few lives than to let the Sith continue their crimes and kill even more.

The Jedi Council doesn't always approve of the methods used by my Dark Sentinel and Dark Shadow, but they applaud the results and agree that I am making the universe a better place.

Similarly, Light Sith aren't role models. They still murder and oppress, they just aren't sociopathic about it. This one is actually a bit more clear-cut. The Dark Warrior is a character who seems to revel is violence, regardless of whether the Empire benefits or not. Even Light Inquisitors are Jerks, but the Dark Inquisitor is a straight-up sociopath, putting themselves over all others, including the empire and even the Dark Council. Both of them are self-serving to the point of being

The Light Sith, then, is something of a reformist. Generally, they are seeking to balance or temper the Darkest Sith. They aren't pushing for peace or oneness with the Force. They use the Dark Side of the Force to strengthen the Empire. Choices are usually justified by efficiency or utility to the Empire, with a number of them being more explicitly reformist in their attempts to encourage a more conscientious Empire. Light Sith have honor and loyalty to the Empire, putting the needs/goals of the Empire over their own ambitions or enjoyment of violence.

In that way, the Light Side Sith are very much like a mix of the Light versions of the Agent and Bounty Hunter. The main goals are the strengthening of the empire and the avoidance of violence which doesn't have some direct benefit.

This

And This

'nuff said.