Please Remove Tank, DPS and Heal

Jetsunz

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a polite suggestion for you all that agree and desire this request, to be validated. It is called GET OUT, GET OFF, and LEAVE to where you are the ONLY one playing. And STAY OUT of mmorpgs. You, apparently, aren't cut out for them. You, obviously, don't know how to play, and interact, with others and participate in a community experience. So take your trolling hiney somewhere you will be happy and not harrassing our creators/developers any longer who have worked HARD to make a game that those of us who do know HOW to play our roles can enjoy them. And have a nice day. :)

ranger as runner: most recently the ones include DAO, DA2, the Dungeon Sieges. the Diablos and even the Sacreds. I admit they are solos, but the tactic worked, even in WoW. For those younger than Windows, Castle and Wumpus on Z80s.

but the tactic worked, even in WoW.

You mean the tactic of kiting? It was kind of slow and annoying in WoW. Everquest made kiting an artform. But Rangers were one of the worst at kiting in that game. Which is why I wanted to know what games you referring to.

:)

Thanks for the insight into some games I had long since forgotten about. Heh. I wasn't even thinking of things like Diablo.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but this "remove all roles" system has had some problems in the implementation over on the Guild Wars 2 system, which is probably where you got this idea.

They are having some significant problems, or at least were the last time I checked their forums, with people not knowing how to act in the midst of raids and PVP, because once the roles are removed, now you have, in SWTOR's case, up to 8 or 16 people who now have to dynamically, on the fly, switch between all three roles simultaneously in order to make up for the dedicated specialties that were removed.

Because this had thrown such a wrench into things, it had now devolved into people having to have what were referred to as "hours long interviews" in some cases in order to find people that you could raid with, because now you had to be seeking the absolute cream of the crop out of the player base in order to find those 8 or 16 magic people who could dynamically shift roles in the midst of combat.

Won't this lead to an increase in player skill level as people learn, and others just quit or stop trying the high level raids? People complain about how many MMOs are just a gear grind and skill doesn't matter. Hallelujah! We found the solution!

Everyone's cited GW2 as the 'Trinity-less' game, however there was one that actually did it: City of Heroes.

The great thing about that game was that there was a Trinity system in place...you just weren't required to use it. All you had to do was grab 8 good players with "whatever you want to bring" and you could do anything. Most importantly, it was fun to run like that. You were also perfectly fine with a straight up Trinty team.

Choices.

My 2 credits.

Op I said before and ill keep on saying NO. Many x swg players are playing this game right now, what do you think all those players will do once all the classes are turned into a generic class? They will leave the game and swtor will take a massive hit from it. People like me and many others are fed up with generic crap in mmos. We do not want everything dumbed down to the point of which your talking about. Getting rid of Tank, DPS, and heal is not going to fix peoples attitude or actions in flash points. You really think such a change is going to change human nature? This is a horrible idea and post.

Check this gem. It's a legendary weapon in that game: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Dreamer

Alright, I see where you are going with this.

I want a shoulder-mounted Jawa-catapault for my BH if you repubs get that.

Everyone's cited GW2 as the 'Trinity-less' game, however there was one that actually did it: City of Heroes.

The great thing about that game was that there was a Trinity system in place...you just weren't required to use it. All you had to do was grab 8 good players with "whatever you want to bring" and you could do anything. Most importantly, it was fun to run like that. You were also perfectly fine with a straight up Trinty team.

Choices.

My 2 credits.

Miss that game. GW2 can DIAF.

. . . . stupid NCSoft . . ..

Edited by Vonstagger

To take out the trinity system is to take out respective roles in which govern almost every single group ever formed in an MMO or to put it another way, to take out one of the most important aspects of an MMO... Roles.

The trinity system exists (as others have said) because it works. The tank is built for defense and takes the brunt of the assault, the DPS is equipped to deal the most damage quickly, and the healer is there to keep everyone alive and healthy. Given the bosses and mobs in dungeons and flashpoints, you will find no better system.

This way of fighting promotes teamwork, identity, a guide for gearing, and the most effective way of proceeding through a dungeon.

Want to know of a game that completely got rid of this? Guild wars 2. I played guild wars 2 happily up to about level 36 or so under the impression that there were roles, up until I did my first dungeon. I read on their website about how they abolished the system and immediately quit. I tried going back to it but utterly cant stand logging into that boring game for more than 5 minutes.

If you don't have the trinity system, you have nothing, no structure in a group. Everyone is just... damage. No one takes the brunt of the assault, no one heals and everyone just kind of zergs through content. And since everyone is basically damage, all the classes you get to choose from are give or take the same. What's really the difference between an elementalist and a mesmer, besides the not so different spells? Nothing.

Not having a trinity system creates a homogenous feel between classes. Then one can argue even further, why bother having classes at all, or if there are no tanks because of no trinity system, why bother having heavy armor, for what purpose? Why bother having anything that identifies differences among classes since in retrospect they are all the same and can do everything? Then my friend, why even bother calling it an MMORPG?

Edited by Jedirep

The trinity system only works if you well coordinated as a group and using Teamspeak / Ventrillo,...and last I checked Pick Up Groups are not well coordinated so the system fails 99% of the time. Again I will repeat,...remove tank, heals and dps as they are no longer viable in mmo gaming,..not in todays mmo that is mostly populated by casual gamers

The trinity system fails most of the time it's put into action,..proof of that is the pick up groups which is 99% of the gaming in mmo's. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise,..I know I am right and dead on accurate about this

The trinity system only works if you well coordinated as a group and using Teamspeak / Ventrillo,...and last I checked Pick Up Groups are not well coordinated so the system fails 99% of the time. Again I will repeat,...remove tank, heals and dps as they are no longer viable in mmo gaming,..not in todays mmo that is mostly populated by casual gamers

The trinity system fails most of the time it's put into action,..proof of that is the pick up groups which is 99% of the gaming in mmo's. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise,..I know I am right and dead on accurate about this

Your opinion and that's it.What is it with people.They say something and think it is a fact.Got to love the internet.

Its,..2013 and I think we all can agree something needs to change. I am talking about the old, worn out and tired system of Tank, DPS, and Heal. It really is obsolete in this day and age,...everyone...EVERYONE no matter what class you are ....wants to beat on the bad guy,..they want to slay,..ok.....they don't want to follow rules in fights...they just want to beat on stuff and watch stuff die

This notion that you have to have dps, heal and tank in fights is old school...it's past its time

Ask anyone...ANYONE...and they will tell you...they just want to Tank n Spank and get hell outta there and collect the commendations. In and Out..simple..fast and done

As it is now,...what do people do in flashpoints? Lol...they skip trash and go directly to Boss and kill for the phat lewt. Spacebar commandos and don't you dare listen to the story...rush to the Boss...get your objective and done

Dps fights stuff that the tank isn't even fighting ROFL...healer is healing the dps'rs instead of the tank ROFL...tank is has no clue what aggro is ROFL.....i mean it is total chaos in mmo gaming now days. It is rare to find a coordinated group in traditional tank, heal and dps roles working like a swiss watch

Recommendation:

1. Give everyone a natural heal buff over time duration

2. Give everyone heavy armor

3. Give everyone an equal amount of dps

4. Get rid of need and pass and make all loot drop particular to your class and automatically go into your inventory

If you disagree with this post....see the thread titled....Don't Get Discouraged by Jerks in Pug's, FP's and Op's. I am offering a solution to eliminate jerks in mmo's,..well no way to totally eliminate jerks but you get the idea

This is not a cure for stupid, and changing things to this suggestion would not change any of those problems. People would get bored with this very quickly, and the game would fall apart.

Edited by Blackardin

Nice troll.

So let's totally forget the fact that there are lots of people who like to tank or heal? And the fact that if you want to DPS, lets see, hmm, you can roll a DPS maybe?

I don't know, maybe you forgot you can pick to do whatever you like the most and other people can pick the role they like best?

@ OP, dumbest suggestion ever.

Edited by Aelrail

Its,..2013 and I think we all can agree something needs to change. I am talking about the old, worn out and tired system of Tank, DPS, and Heal. It really is obsolete in this day and age,...everyone...EVERYONE no matter what class you are ....wants to beat on the bad guy,..they want to slay,..ok.....they don't want to follow rules in fights...they just want to beat on stuff and watch stuff die

This notion that you have to have dps, heal and tank in fights is old school...it's past its time

Ask anyone...ANYONE...and they will tell you...they just want to Tank n Spank and get hell outta there and collect the commendations. In and Out..simple..fast and done

As it is now,...what do people do in flashpoints? Lol...they skip trash and go directly to Boss and kill for the phat lewt. Spacebar commandos and don't you dare listen to the story...rush to the Boss...get your objective and done

Dps fights stuff that the tank isn't even fighting ROFL...healer is healing the dps'rs instead of the tank ROFL...tank is has no clue what aggro is ROFL.....i mean it is total chaos in mmo gaming now days. It is rare to find a coordinated group in traditional tank, heal and dps roles working like a swiss watch

Recommendation:

4. Get rid of need and pass and make all loot drop particular to your class and automatically go into your inventory

If you disagree with this post....see the thread titled....Don't Get Discouraged by Jerks in Pug's, FP's and Op's. I am offering a solution to eliminate jerks in mmo's,..well no way to totally eliminate jerks but you get the idea

They're not going to re-work the mechanics of the game for you. I'd recommend go mention this to a company who hasn't released an MMO.

I know you're troll but, I pug 3+ hardmode flashpoints a day. Its rare if ever I have to leave that group because of the pug players, the same can be said for pug operations which I see about 2-3 times a week.

Also Guild Wars II is that way---->

Oh that's right they have to keep nerfing the dungeons and fractals, because pugs can't clear them. Also no trinity there, yet pugs still think they can play the role tank or healer. Nothing like having am elementalist sitting in the back casting his little water spells, thinking they are healing the group and helping in any way. The combat is dull and boring, when it amounts to kiting and dodging 90% of the time.

You sir are wrong. I have been playing Trinity MMOs for over 7 years and have never used a voice chat with PUGs, and in 99% of those instances, the group was successful, so perhaps you would be better served reflecting upon your own skills as a player if you have found otherwise.

BJ

Recommendation:

You will never get rid of the jerks the online gaming community is riddled with them. You make an interesting point but I don't know if I fully agree with you. It is a dated model for group composition, I agree but it works. I like being able to take on different roles in a group. I have a Tank, deeps and heals all 50 and decently geared. It's true you have to deal with people not following the natural order but I don't think I would go as far to scrap the model completely.

Perhaps a new role could be introduced into the fold....

You sir are wrong. I have been playing Trinity MMOs for over 7 years and have never used a voice chat with PUGs, and in 99% of those instances, the group was successful, so perhaps you would be better served reflecting upon your own skills as a player if you have found otherwise.

BJ

If you meet an ******e, he's just an ******e. But if everyone you meet is an ******e, then your the ******e.