Seriously? Kaliyo? (WARNING SPOILERS!)

Midgen

Finished Voss at 47, and used all of my Voss commendations to upgrade Kaliyo's gear to push through Corellia and finish my story. I've used Kaliyo exclusively since I got her.

Now she's gone.. Kidnapped or whatever.. I don't even care.. I'm pissed. Now I'm stuck finishing Corellia, and my Story mission, without a geared companion. All of my other companions have complete junk.. none even have ears, implants, or helmets. Whatever junk they came with.

I've lost my enthusiasm to play. I really don't want to spend a bunch of time buying gear for a companion I don't want to ever use again (probably SCORPIO).

Seriously, I"m sooo pissed..

I think I'll go start a Vanguard.. screw this...

It's not so bad. Every single person who has rolled an agent goes through this and we all survived. I thought it was nice that they actually put something in the story that had an actual effect on my character. It's also not the only class that has a companion taken away at some point. You just have to work on your class quests in Corellia and she'll be back.

SCORPIO comes with moddable gear. But If you're playing DPS, Dr. Lokin is the best companion to use anyway.

Let this be a lesson to not completely neglect the rest of your companions. I always try and give all my companions whatever drops and hand-me-downs and commendation gear I get along the way.

Edited by chuixupu

It's not so bad. Every single person who has rolled an agent goes through this. It's also not the only class that has a companion taken away at some point. You just have to work on your class quests in Corellia and she'll be back.

SCORPIO comes with moddable gear. But If you're playing DPS, Dr. Lokin is the best companion to use anyway.

Lokin is good until you can get Scorpio in 154's. Then if you are a sniper, you are in good shape.

As DPS, I always prefer healing companions. Some dps operatives like a tank because they can backstab, but even when I leveled my operative as DPS I preferred the heals over the luxury of backstabbing mobs. As a sniper, no question that healing was way easier.

lol that was the best part of the story for me, when they took her I was all like "yeaaaah alright Empire! I've been waiting for this since level 8". I was hoping they'd never give her back and she was forever used as torture practice for new acolytes :D

Sadly she's back on my ship now, so I make sure she's permanently on the crafting table so I dont have to see her everytime I walk into the ship.

I use tank companions almost exclusively for DPS characters. I occasionally (rarely) pull out a healer for a battle where it's required. Using a Tank companion (as a concealment operative) allows me to maximize my efficiency and minimize down time. Kaliyo was convenient because I got her early, and just kept her geared the entire time.

I generally prefer melee tank companions for DPS, especially backstabber types!

I ended up gearing SCORPIO using the GTN and some crappy gear I crafted for her, and ran the Voss bonus series for a few mods.

My frustration was caused by the fact that I just just spent all of my Voss commendations gearing a companion only to have her taken away. Obviously, had I known this would happen, I would have probably used those resources on SCORPIO instead.

It really took the wind out of my sails for a few hours, but once I got SCORPIO geared and moved on, I felt better. :D

I do feel a bit bad for people who had no idea this was coming and they spent ALL their time gearing Kaliyo. I almost think they could avoid a little bit of headache but providing a free set of tokens to gear up another companion. But like I said, it's not as bad as it seems...my first agent, I had mostly been gearing up Kaliyo the whole time and I was mildly distressed when it happened, but then when I started using Lokin I was like, "omg, this is so much easier, screw Kaliyo."

I use tank companions almost exclusively for DPS characters. I occasionally (rarely) pull out a healer for a battle where it's required. Using a Tank companion (as a concealment operative) allows me to maximize my efficiency and minimize down time. Kaliyo was convenient because I got her early, and just kept her geared the entire time.

I generally go dps companion and dps spec. Find that to be the quickest. Control-1 my companion to attack a guy. I go attack him and just keep hitting control-1 when I switch targets.

Normally, though, if you turn on the AoE attacks by companion, you can just plow through things with double-dps.

Edited by RyanReagan

I use Kaliyo a bit, myself. DPS concealment Operative when playing solo.

I was so happy when she got taken away

I was tempted to not finish the story.

But yes, Lokin and I spend enough time together that Vector is getting jealous. Poor fellow.

I get the impression BW expected most Agents to roll with Lokin so they didnt think she'd be that big a loss, thats how awesome Lokin is :cool:

Or else, they'd think SCORPIO was so awesome with her fully moddable gear that they'd just switch to her.

Actually I never use SCORPIO, lol

Finished Voss at 47, and used all of my Voss commendations to upgrade Kaliyo's gear to push through Corellia and finish my story. I've used Kaliyo exclusively since I got her.

Now she's gone.. Kidnapped or whatever.. I don't even care.. I'm pissed. Now I'm stuck finishing Corellia, and my Story mission, without a geared companion. All of my other companions have complete junk.. none even have ears, implants, or helmets. Whatever junk they came with.

I've lost my enthusiasm to play. I really don't want to spend a bunch of time buying gear for a companion I don't want to ever use again (probably SCORPIO).

Seriously, I"m sooo pissed..

I think I'll go start a Vanguard.. screw this...

Go ahead. Roll your Vanguard. Good luck with dealing with life after The Harbinger. (Hope you don't send Elara to the bridge...)

In the Jedi Guardian story, there's a point at which you're required to use a certain companion, but in the middle of the quest they give you puzzle that, once solved, gives a whole set of appropriate-level gear for him.

In my opinion, it's not easy to keep more than 2 companions geared (plus the one that's getting your hand-me-downs if he's not one of the two).

I think they just should have had the companion's gear scale with level to 50, so that you could use whomever you wanted.

By the time I was in my 40s, Vector was still wearing his lvl 32 gear, I couldn't use him even if I wanted to at that point, which is too bad. The companions all have interesting sound bites and stuff, it's too bad they didn't do something like that so that I wasn't effectively locked out of most of them.

I was they same way when I lost her. Wasn't happy and I tried vector and then switched to Doc Lokin. I really didn't gear either of them up so it was a little hard until I saw that I could plow through mobs even faster with his heals plus I would plowed through bosses like a boss once I started using him. Having not to really worry about healing and pulling the agro really worked for me.

For some reason I don't like Scorpio even though I know she can be geared up and tank as well.

As an operative healer, I used Kaliyo until I got Vector. Now I use Vector with blade guard up and his dot stance on. I give him level appropriate greens every 2 - 4 levels and craft a blue or purple hilt for him on my artifice and he does awesome. I figured since I'm leveling healing so I can have a rhythm set for when I hit 50, I may as well go with a DPS companion.

Temple and I compete for gear, so she's benched. I only used Lokin in class mission dialogues when I wanted to boost his affection. No need, I'm a much better healer than he is and his dps is garbage.

Vector's a bit squishy when it comes to champions or pulling multiple elites, so I switch out to SCORPIO. I have her in the crafted blue cybertech stuff. It's between 3 and 7 levels lower than me, but she does fine. The nice thing about her is that I can pull a boat load of mobs and heal her through it just fine.

Temple and I compete for gear, so she's benched. I only used Lokin in class mission dialogues when I wanted to boost his affection. No need, I'm a much better healer than he is and his dps is garbage.
Temple and I WOULD compete for gear...if she weren't perfectly happy with my leftovers from my DPS Operative.

I wish that instead of making you choose each time there's a companion gear reward. that the reward would be that particular piece for all your companions. I know that's not really practical, but it would be nice. Of course I'm also a proponent of having some sort of system where you could use any companion in any role necessary (Oh how I wish I could use M1-4X, but alas, my Trooper is a tank)

Go ahead. Roll your Vanguard. Good luck with dealing with life after The Harbinger. (Hope you don't send Elara to the bridge...)

Actually, since both Raina and Lokin are Cunning/End I have them decently geared with hand me downs. My Ops/healer has to switch tactics a bit when having a dps companion, but I had gotten used to rolling with Vector.

As far as a Trooper, my Vanguard and Commando have by far the easiest time gearing them since all Trooper companions are Aim/End heavy.

Losing Elara was a surprise, but I found that with M1 using aggro hopping or Jorgan and just switching to burn 'em down as fast as you can, it was not difficult at all. Even rolled with R8 a while, and he was not that bad either. Geared R8 with hand me downs from M1 and he works fine.