Enough with the Shoulder Pads & Spikes & Butt Flaps & Antenna

AshlaBoga

I, like many of you suspect, am confused as to why so much of the gear in game has these ugly little appendages added on. After F2P was announced I thought that they were planning on releasing the plain gear in the Cartel Market. And then they released the same non-Star Wars looking gear in the Cartel Market:rolleyes:

At this point I think we need to make it clear to BW that we don't like the lack of plain gear - especially no plain black Robes.

I've made a thread previously bemoaning the horror that is the NiM TFB Imperial gear (Tier 2.3 gear is hideous) but I'd rather make a more general thread than necro that old one.

Heck some of the Cartel Market gear looks half-decent except they put stuff on their that makes it ugly:

Despot's (chest): Butt Flap*

Sanctified Caretaker (chest): Shoulder Pads

Pathfinder’s (chest): Those are not Shoulder Pads. Those are abominations against God and Country.

Conservator's Helmet: Yay another aquarium helmet - now I can pretend I'm a gold fish! Is there a "give us gold fish bowl helmets" thread somewhere?

MA-44 Combat Chestguard: Asymmetrical Shoulder Pad, just to make sure you know that the CM design team are hardcore NFL fans.

*The Butt Flap is a vertically flipped version of what they're planning to put on the NiM TFB Inquisitor headgear.

P.S: How hard is a plain black robe to make? Just take some the Battleborn/Battle Expulsor's chestguard and make it all black. There problem solved.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tubes sticking out of the back of some end game gear is the worst. It looks like it was supposed to be a "homage" to Alien to me. If this is the case it was a terrible miss and ugly as can be.

I like the conspiracy that end game gear is so increasingly awful to force people to buy Cartel Market gear to replace it. I don't believe that, but it sounds plausible. :p

Big shoulder pads look cool in a fantasy setting. They just look dumb in a sci-fi setting except on like heavy battle-suit looking gear.

However antennae are ****** no matter what the century :p

Big giant shoulderpads never look cool...

Dont even get me started on the antenna and backpacks that seemingly every heavy armour model has on them... or the belts with some kind of thermos or lunchbox cylinder across the front (or back... how can you sit in a chair with one of those? Oh, nm!)

I, like many of you suspect, am confused as to why so much of the gear in game has these ugly little appendages added on.

Because many people like them? There are lots of plain pieces of gear, craftable and drops. To each her own.

That's what you get when you outsource 3d modeling to asia ;)

Some of those Korean/Japanese MMOs have art design far superior to this game in my opinion. I like the stylish anime-inspired flare even though I know it really doesn't suit Star Wars. Still, I think talented designers put a lot of effort into those games, while I feel like gear in this game is hit and miss a lot.

Edited by Knightsire

I highly doubt that. I bet if BioWare was to do an in-game poll of if people liked the armor styling, the overwhelming majority would vote no. I'm willing to bet my account on that.

Well, I wouldn't bet my account but I would bet my faith in humanity (I'd lose it anyway if I was wrong).

i think the armor designing team watched the last samurai instead of star wars series to be inspired. the jedi sets make me laugh every time i check on my toon to see how they look. besides some some of the items all r just really very badly designed.

And the cartel market sets r not good either. what's the new sand ppl armor??? change the color of bh bm chest and introduce it as a new item. plz but pretty plz do not introduce any more new items, just give us color palette and at elast leave the job to us. there can be a standart lets say 3-4 color palette for subs and rest of the colors unlocked with cartel points (as they need some where to earn money). DCUO had an incredible item customization option even for f2p players.

Big giant shoulderpads never look cool...

Dont even get me started on the antenna and backpacks that seemingly every heavy armour model has on them... or the belts with some kind of thermos or lunchbox cylinder across the front (or back... how can you sit in a chair with one of those? Oh, nm!)

Well that must be why we can't sit in chairs outside of our ships - the gear design team vetoed it.

The ones that piss me off the most is all the armors with the life preservers on them. There are a lot of Smuggler jackets that I would like for my characters, but that got that damn life preserver on it. And I have no clue why they added that to the Phantom armor set. It ruined the whole armor.

They didn't "add" anything - it was already there, they just recolored the whole thing and named it "Phantom"