Is the Lore going too much in the Favor of...

almostinsane

Mostly Star Wars reference material. The New Essential Chronology, the Essential Atlas, and the Essential Guide to Warfare. Obviously these aren't total substitutes for the rest of the EU, but writing down all of the books that've influenced the way I think about Star Wars would be kind of silly.

Also, I'm trained as a(n) historian, so I look at the galaxy in the same way I look at the record of real, human history.

you mean you got them from actual books or comic books cuz comic books don't always follow the same cannon

as the movies do

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And on the subject of Taris, I've spent an incredibly long time thinking about the mechanics of the Taris bombardment and the subsequent history of the planet, because I've been writing a fanfic that takes place in large part on Taris, and it's written from an Imperial standpoint. So.

Putting a shipyard over Taris makes no sense. First of all, it'd be prohibitively expensive, and if there's one thing the Empire doesn't need more of, it's idiotic resource-allocation.

Secondly, there's nobody to work there. You'd have to ship the laborers in from Sith space or wherever, and unless you want to house them on the planet - good luck protecting them from the raks - you get to build even larger spaceborne facilities for that, too.

Thirdly, it's not defensible. Taris is out on the Hydian Way, badly exposed to Republic raids. The Sith would be much better served by relying on facilities within the Stygian Caldera for production.

Finally, it's not clear that the remains of the Tarisian ecumenopolis would aid production in any meaningful way. It seems like it'd be a colossal pain in the butt to convert the ruined buildings into scrap. It's not clear that this scrap would be comprised of the proper materials for shipbuilding. And then you run into the problem of not having any facilities to produce heavy arms, power generators, propulsion systems, shields, or hyperdrives for your ships, because none of those things can be found in the decaying Taris world-city.

The sole argument in favor of some sort of Taris shipyard - a purely hypothetical Taris shipyard - is that there's supposedly a lot of building material for ships there. That's not really the case. And all the other drawbacks are so staggering that I can't imagine even the idiotic leadership of the Sith Empire would think it's a good idea to plonk a major shipbuilding facility there. And that means that there's no way you can claim this ephemeral shipyard as a fruit of Imperial victory on Taris. Sorry.

well, in force unleashed there's a shipyard in raxus prime, a garbage planet

Raxus Prime is a "garbage planet" because of the shipyard. It was an industrial powerhouse for millennia, home of the famous precision-crafting factories of the Nikato Machinists, and that meant it had the infrastructure to host a shipyard. The Republic used it to produce arms and ships during the New Sith Wars. During the final millennium of the Republic, the Commerce Guild and Corporate Alliance used the lack of environmental legislation on the planet to construct even more factories; it became so important to the galactic megacorps that they used it as a platform to announce the formation of the Confederacy of Independent Systems there, three years before the Clone Wars broke out. And then, shortly after the Clone Wars ended, the Empire refurbished and expanded the shipyard facilities over Raxus with an eye toward boxing the Mon Calamari in.

And on the subject of Taris, I've spent an incredibly long time thinking about the mechanics of the Taris bombardment and the subsequent history of the planet, because I've been writing a fanfic that takes place in large part on Taris, and it's written from an Imperial standpoint. So.

Putting a shipyard over Taris makes no sense. First of all, it'd be prohibitively expensive, and if there's one thing the Empire doesn't need more of, it's idiotic resource-allocation.

Secondly, there's nobody to work there. You'd have to ship the laborers in from Sith space or wherever, and unless you want to house them on the planet - good luck protecting them from the raks - you get to build even larger spaceborne facilities for that, too.

Thirdly, it's not defensible. Taris is out on the Hydian Way, badly exposed to Republic raids. The Sith would be much better served by relying on facilities within the Stygian Caldera for production.

Finally, it's not clear that the remains of the Tarisian ecumenopolis would aid production in any meaningful way. It seems like it'd be a colossal pain in the butt to convert the ruined buildings into scrap. It's not clear that this scrap would be comprised of the proper materials for shipbuilding. And then you run into the problem of not having any facilities to produce heavy arms, power generators, propulsion systems, shields, or hyperdrives for your ships, because none of those things can be found in the decaying Taris world-city.

The sole argument in favor of some sort of Taris shipyard - a purely hypothetical Taris shipyard - is that there's supposedly a lot of building material for ships there. That's not really the case. And all the other drawbacks are so staggering that I can't imagine even the idiotic leadership of the Sith Empire would think it's a good idea to plonk a major shipbuilding facility there. And that means that there's no way you can claim this ephemeral shipyard as a fruit of Imperial victory on Taris. Sorry.

just trying to come up with a fruit of imperial victory other than getting to study rakghuols.

Raxus Prime is a "garbage planet" because of the shipyard. It was an industrial powerhouse for millennia, home of the famous precision-crafting factories of the Nikato Machinists, and that meant it had the infrastructure to host a shipyard. The Republic used it to produce arms and ships during the New Sith Wars. During the final millennium of the Republic, the Commerce Guild and Corporate Alliance used the lack of environmental legislation on the planet to construct even more factories; it became so important to the galactic megacorps that they used it as a platform to announce the formation of the Confederacy of Independent Systems there, three years before the Clone Wars broke out. And then, shortly after the Clone Wars ended, the Empire refurbished and expanded the shipyard facilities over Raxus with an eye toward boxing the Mon Calamari in.

Although it was the Republic industries that ruined Raxus Prime, the Empire was there for a different reason. We clearly see them cannonballing the debris into space to use as material for ship building. So technically, that facility made use of that garbage planet.

All of you complaining about there needing to be a "tug of war" so to speak in the war are forgetting one major thing: At the beginning of the game, the Empire was winning and winning badly. The only reason the Republic still even existed at all is because Revan somehow tricked the Emperor into signing the Treaty of Coruscant.

Chapters 1-3 on the Republic are about Republic heroes stepping up and saving the day, at the end of Chapter 3, the Republic is finally in the position of strength.

Chapters 1-3 on Empire are more about your personal struggle for power. They aren't about beating the Republic, they are about beating your rivals. This is a huge reason why the Republic is starting to win the war, but it also leaves a great opportunity for Imperial storytelling. Now that your PCs have consolidated their positions of power, they are in a great position to make significant impacts on the war like the Republic PCs did in 1-3.

And look what happens, in Chapter 4, you see the Empire PCs making a significant impact and possibly turning the war back onto more even ground while the Republic PCs are off being the good guys and saving people.

I think a big thing is that, until Palpatine, the Republic never fell. No matter the enemy, no matter the threat, the Republic held strong.

''The Republic was never what was important ever.It is but a shell that surrounds the Jedi - just as the teachings of the Jedi are a shell surrounding the heart of man.You see,the war,the true war has never been one waged by droids,or warships or soldiers.They are but a crude matter,obstacles against which we test ourselves.''

:csw_vader::)

So basically the Republic never fell before Palpatine.But the Sith nevertheless were sometimes victors ,because the Dark Side was mostly dominant on these occasions ,despite the fact that the Republic was not 100% annihilated .

Edited by Kaedusz

• 4 weeks later...
What the writers could probably do is make it so that the Imperial classes kinda re-shape the Empire to rebuild its strength. And since an empire isn't really an empire without an emperor, someone will have to fill that role if the previous one really is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Maybe the Inquisitor, though the SW would probably have to undergo some kind of change as well to put them on equal footing.

What the writers could probably do is make it so that the Imperial classes kinda re-shape the Empire to rebuild its strength. And since an empire isn't really an empire without an emperor, someone will have to fill that role if the previous one really is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Maybe the Inquisitor, though the SW would probably have to undergo some kind of change as well to put them on equal footing.

They already have Darth Marr as De facto ruler of the Empire.

• 1 month later...
yes but will we ever have a new emperor?

that'd require the Empire to offically aknowledge the Emperor is dead. which they're proably not going to do.

The Emperor ruled the empire for over a thousand years he's quite literally the glue that holds the empire together.

• 2 weeks later...
All of you complaining about there needing to be a "tug of war" so to speak in the war are forgetting one major thing: At the beginning of the game, the Empire was winning and winning badly. The only reason the Republic still even existed at all is because Revan somehow tricked the Emperor into signing the Treaty of Coruscant.

We're not forgetting anything, we're pointing out that "Yeah, you lose pretty much every time in the game you're actually playing, but in the background fluff you guys were totally doing great!" is silly. By that logic Republic players should be perfectly content if they start losing every single battle on every single planet in game, because in the lore (which they have nothing to do with), the Republic eventually wins.

Edited by jovianus

We're not forgetting anything, we're pointing out that "Yeah, you lose pretty much every time in the game you're actually playing, but in the background fluff you guys were totally doing great!" is silly. By that logic Republic players should be perfectly content if they start losing every single battle on every single planet in game, because in the lore (which they have nothing to do with), the Republic eventually wins.

My characters in their story seem to be kicking butt and taking names. They have strings of victory that are great. Now most of them are against other Imperials or only sort of minorly harm the Republic, but my character is not the Empire. The characters are winning, even if in the background the Empire is losing.

• 2 weeks later...
that'd require the Empire to offically aknowledge the Emperor is dead. which they're proably not going to do.

The Emperor ruled the empire for over a thousand years he's quite literally the glue that holds the empire together.

If the new Emperor appears, the Empire can simply spin it as the Emperor never died to begin with. He evaded death, if you will. The important question is how will the Emperor convince the Dark Council he is who he is?

I like that one side has the advantage (and I say this as an Imperial player). Too often games struggle to keep everything mirrored and it turns out boring as a result. Also, the Imperials being weakened is the logical result of Malgus and the Dread Masters turning on them so I feel it fits the story best right now.

I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other way in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
If the new Emperor appears, the Empire can simply spin it as the Emperor never died to begin with. He evaded death, if you will. The important question is how will the Emperor convince the Dark Council he is who he is?

Won't be a problem. When/if the emperor reappears, my warrior is going to kill him and rule the empire. ;)

Won't be a problem. When/if the emperor reappears, my warrior is going to kill him and rule the empire. ;)

yeah but if the SW killed the emperor and became emperor than every lvl 55 SW would be an emperor too many emperors bro thats why no class can rule as emperor

yeah but if the SW killed the emperor and became emperor than every lvl 55 SW would be an emperor too many emperors bro thats why no class can rule as emperor

We all ready have thousands of Darth Nox/Imperious/Oculus and Emperor's Wraths. So having one class be the Emperor could work. It just couldn't be a title and would only matter in cut scenes. Now, I don't see it making sense for one of the characters to become the Emperor. It would create too many game play problems. I highly doubt the Emperor would go running around doing mission for his or her servants. I do think if someone wrote a story after SWTOR was done, and the war was still ongoing, such an event would be possible. Still it is highly doubtful. What's more likely is that the Emperor dies and then the Dark Council rules without anyone above them. That's kind of how it is now anyway.

The most probable ending, is that the empire splits into two factions, one joining with the republic (likely backed by people like Marr) while the other is the dark side psychopathic empire (pro emperor, backed by mostly sith). Your character, as an imperial, joins whatever faction he chooses. The pro-republic faction is lightside, the pro-emperor faction is darkside. The LS faction is absorbed by the republic while the DS faction flees or is defeated.

Alternatively, the empire could indeed win, staying in power for some 500 years before becoming the republic once again. The republic of the clone wars is not the same as the republic of TOR. They are similar, incredibly so, but they are not the same.

I'm thinking that they'd try to find a way to end it where all players could feel like they've had a personal win. I think the division idea is a good one, but I'm not sure they'd join the republic. My lightsiders aren't any more fond of the republic than they are of the sociopaths who surround them.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot find the quote, maybe it wasn't even Master Windu, but he said something along the lines of "the Sith haven't ruled for over a millenia". I could be wrong but I just had a Star Wars marathon and the quote is ringing in my ears still, as I too have pondered this as well. Nothing is set in stone until it's made a book, game, ect...

SWTPM - Palpatine: I will not let this Republic, which has stood for a thousand years, be split in two. My negotiations will not fail.

hmm...

I cannot find the quote, maybe it wasn't even Master Windu, but he said something along the lines of "the Sith haven't ruled for over a millenia". I could be wrong but I just had a Star Wars marathon and the quote is ringing in my ears still, as I too have pondered this as well. Nothing is set in stone until it's made a book, game, ect...

SWTPM - Palpatine: I will not let this Republic, which has stood for a thousand years, be split in two. My negotiations will not fail.

hmm...

It's Ki-Adi Mundi, and the quote is "Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."

And what your second quote is referring to is the Ruusan Reformations after the New Sith Wars (totally different war from the war in SWTOR).

Edit: And your second quote comes from Attack of the Clones.

Edited by Aurbere

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy!"

vs.

"In order to assure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first galactic empire, for a safe and secure society - which, I assure you, will last for ten thousand years."

Yeah, I don't think Palps was the most reliable of sources.