Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

Karaiblis

I had the entire Phantom set augmented and when I logged on today was shocked to see my new look. At first i was pissed as a human knee jerk reaction, but then the new look really grew on me when i selected to not display the helm and saw the cool hood which looked better with the puffy shoulders.

Out of selfisness I hope they don't change it back, but then again, I'm a sorc. If I was not a force user and had configured a particular look around wearing the chest and color syncing it to other gear , ya, I'd probably be pretty upset.

Somewhat related, I was mad when I first used CC to purchase the red Investigator's set for my sent and found the Chest to be jet black. However I then changed out a few pieces including wearing Revan's lower robe and fell in love with my new look. After augmenting new gear to go with the black bugged Investigator's chest, I really hope they don't ever correct this bug by changing it back to the originally intended red color.

Edited by Belacose

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

op,

being happy with changes doesn't give you a monopoly on righteousness.

the point here isn't whether you like (or not) changes which quite frankly i positively couldn't care less about.

it's about your basic right to not have a transaction terms and products changed after a sale has taken place.

sugar coat it all you like, but in my world what EA bw did is called abuse.

how would you feel trying then buying a pair of levi's 501 - but upon arriving home realising they put a pair of 509 in your bag?

oh don't bother answering, you'd like the changes!

op,

being happy with changes doesn't give you a monopoly on righteousness.

the point here isn't whether you like (or not) changes which quite frankly i positively couldn't care less about.

it's about your basic right to not have a transaction terms and products changed after a sale has taken place.

sugar coat it all you like, but in my world what EA bw did is called abuse.

how would you feel trying then buying a pair of levi's 501 - but upon arriving home realising they put a pair of 509 in your bag?

oh don't bother answering, you'd like the changes!

Exactly.. and this is why the looks had to be changed to what was advertised on the pictures of the Cartel Packs. Seeing people did not receive what was advertised.

And about your question: How would you feel if you walked to the store, saw a picture of a hoody on the package and bought the package, only to come home and see a buttoned shirt is inside. Because that was the issue there was before.

So brings us to today.... people are frustrated but what are they going to do? Some will complain hoping you will be the BW that you were before the game launched, listening to feedback and making changes quickly. (Remembers back in 2008 when characters hands were heck big and the community cried out and it was changed) The players are now in a phase of "I dont look cool anymore" so what do they do, they spend credits on GTN items and more will buy more cartel packs to get the newer gear more easily - both ultimately equal more real money into your pockets. This is not right, and I hope you do good as a company and try to right the wrong, or put better the perceived correction that turned out to be a PR nightmare.

Actually, I'm NOT going to spend a single penny on new Cartel Coins anymore unless I get my old items back again, FREE OF CHARGE. I am even considering canceling my subscription. What's next? An update to my Phantom Starship because someone found some promo art where it's purple? The things I try to aquire in game simply no longer hold any value after this mess. It's all meaningless, and I don't even enjoy spending time without purpose.

My characters and companions that used the changed pieces are now wearing either Revans' Chestpiece or some Elegant Loungewear, eventhough it totally mismatches the rest of their outfit or class. The outfits I put together before at least made SENSE. But if that's what the developers want, that's what they get: Bikini Wars instead of Star Wars. Plenty of people were probably already annoyed by all the kids dressing their companions in bikinis. Well, this change just added more companions and playercharacters to fuel their grief.

There are only two sides to this situation, both sides have a reason to complain but only one side was really "cheated". I'll explain.

1) A month ago a new cartel pack was introduced where a new robe was advertised. Those people who are interested in said Robe bought the Cartel packs (either with real cash from the store, or with credits from the GTN) Or they bought the specific armor pieces from the GTN. Those people soon discovered that they could NOT actually purchase the item they were interested in.

In this situation this person should be irritated that they were shown pictures of something that could not actually be obtained.

That being said, let's be honest... That person had a CHOICE, they could sell (or resell) the item purchased AND had the option of purchasing something else that was CLOSE to the item advertised (I mean currently aside from the break lights on the new phantom piece it is not completely dissimilar to the Revan piece.)

I agree they should have been given a further option of buying (or trading for if they kept the piece they didn't like) an item they were shown in the Market

<BREAK>

The second set of people MAY have never visited the market. These people potentially would not be aware that there was something wrong with a set of armor they found on someone or in the GTN (with out ever knowing there was an advertising error because they never saw the advertisement and never bother to visit the cartel store). If you are unaware of a problem there would be no reason to search a forum database for an issue you didn't have (or could somehow decipher).

This group however was NOT given a choice. The do NOT have the option to keep or trade the new look. If they do NOT like the new look they do NOT have the option to buy something else similar, because while hooded robes (granted without break lights) are a dime a dozen, form fitting body suits were unique in this set.

Even if the two groups of people each make up 50% of the player base (This does not match current outcry, I would say the people upset before are out numbered 3 to 1 by currently upset people), but even if it were split down the middle, the first group of unhappy shoppers were given choices, the second were not.

This I believe is why the current group of people are so bent out of shape....

I wonder.. If BW had simply mailed anyone with the old armor (equipped, in inventory, or in cargo) another piece with the "corrected' visuals. Would either group have a reason to be upset?

Those unhappy the first time would have gotten what they wanted (Or had they traded away the first piece could have use the profits made from that transaction to gain the new "corrected" piece.

Those that would have been unhappy with the (unexpected for them) changes could have made a decision and would have been able to happily kept what they paid for in game,

If you made the new piece BoP there wouldn't have even been market consequences for the "additional" piece.

My point is, that when you go about "Fixing" something, and the options are to add choices or take choices away... it seems safe to say the "Add choice" button is usually the safer button to push.

as a foot note, I am peeved at the situation; not because BW made a "correction" even though I was unaware a correction needed to be made (I don't shop the CC store, I shop the GTN). What has my undies in a bind, is that SO many times we've been shown things that we can't have... We've been promised things that never appear...

Same Sex Romance

Hood Down option

World PvP options

Increased storyline and companion interaction

Server transfers (Or legacies that span servers)

to name a few

And we get the same old story of "It's coming" or "We're aware of the problem and are working on it"

This though, this small thing that disappointing a SMALL group of players.. THIS thing get s a 30 day priority fix.

It seems Common Sense has followed Chivalry into the great abyss!

Edited by seraphimm

Umm...am I the only one who thinks that changing the promo art (a total of 2 flat 2d pictures) to what the spymasters and phantom sets actually used to look like in the game would have been the easiest and quickest fix?

It would have made everyone happy - even those who realy don't care about them, but like to be right all the time - or the type with the communist mindset of being told what to do and when to eat, sleep and pee (cos they would've been correct too). It would've been, "see? now it matches." And no one would've been irked either way.

Now, everyone is getting mad.

And now we had cool looking pieces changed on us into Homer Simpson retarded versions of themselve (e.g. Spymasters skirt thing clips into my toons butt when she jumps).

Edited by PifferPuff

i love the set now especially the jacket

How nice for you.

I don't and it's not the one I purchased.

If they wanted to introduce a new look, the one you like, they should have put a new armour set in the game that you could have purchased. Instead they changed a set that people had already paid for. I would have not purchased this set if it looked like this originally.

Please change the Trailblazer Chest Piece back to what it was.

Exactly.. and this is why the looks had to be changed to what was advertised on the pictures of the Cartel Packs. Seeing people did not receive what was advertised.

Except that the Trailblazer armour was not changed to match any advertising. (Only the Phantom and Spymaster were)

It was just changed for no apparent reason.

I don't like it, and I would like it changed back to the look it had when it was purchased.

Here's a much simpler analogy. Suppose you bought an armour from the Cartel market that you liked and for no reason BioWare changed it to a model you didn't like.

Would you want them to change it back? Or would you be comforted in the knowledge that some people like the change?

Umm...am I the only one who thinks that changing the promo art (a total of 2 flat 2d pictures) to what the spymasters and phantom sets actually used to look like in the game would have been the easiest and quickest fix?

It would have made everyone happy - even those who realy don't care about them, but like to be right all the time - or the type with the communist mindset of being told what to do and when to eat, sleep and pee (cos it then they woulud've been correct too). It would've been, "see? now it matches." And no one would've been irked either way.

Now, everyone is getting mad.

And now we had cool looking pieces changed on us into Homer Simpson retarded versions of themselve (e.g. Spymasters skirt thing clips into my toons butt when she jumps).

I am not suprise if we will have this old-version Phantom chest in another carten set that cost 1440 cc ;)

I am not suprise if we will have this old-version Phantom chest in another carten set that cost 1440 cc ;)

Which I won't buy since Bioware won't see me buying Cartel Coins anymore unless I get my old looks back FREE OF CHARGE. Charging money or even credits to re-aquire the looks I had for my character is NOT acceptable. I'd rather go FTP. If I can even be bothered to continue playing, since yesterday I don't really feel like playing anymore, what's the point trying to aquire something nice if that nice thing can be downgraded on a whim?

splitting hair semantics...

the issue is a lot more simple.

we bought items based on the preview. we paid in good faith expecting to receive the items as presented.

now, do not kid yourself - the cartel strategy is based on real money.

whether by proxy of subscription or game credits, we paid real cash for these. and in most cases probably more real cash than virtual.

in this light you'd think someone at ea/bw would realise the notion of value these items hold for the player base...

no.

NOT ONCE has ea/bw informed us about the changes. don't tell me they can't communicate with their clients base.

we are entitled to expect that what we paid for based on the product as presented during the sale.

position.

I am, I've got 3 more months of free Cartel Coins left on my account, on top of a couple I already have. Spending those on the right unlocks, I won't care much about downgrading to F2P.

Ahh... now that you put it that way...

I'll take it that the changes to the old look is not the sole factor in your contemplating ending your sub but more of a straw that broke the camel's back type of thing.

Edited by Belacose

What is this? Are you guys at bioware e.a. whatever (i don't care who) take on drugs? Phantom and spymaster chest looked so nice i had it to 4 of my toons, and bought it from gtn for that specific look. You chould just leave it like that and make new chest like... original spymaster chest and the phantom one too (spymaster now looks like crap to say the least). And the icon show it the way it was... are you morons? 1st it was the battlemaster/war hero armor fiasko now this? Well, my subscription is renewing 14 of February, but not anymore. Fix this please or I won't renew. And by the way, I try to log 5 minutes ago in game it logs in character screen al right but when character is on, I get a nice red x in connection, and can't log. My connection is fine couse internet working and other game like Aion (I play that game too) play fine, so this is another problem...gees.

Ahh... now that you put it that way...

I'll take it that the changes to the old look is not the sole factor in your contemplating ending your sub but more of a straw that broke the camel's back type of thing.

I simply don't see a point spending money on items that can be taken away and completely overhauled on a whim.

Mind you, I actually think the changes to the Revan and Preceptor sets are an IMPROVEMENT. And those two were actually the sets that most of the very short thread asking for these changes revolved about. In that thread, multiple people have even asked specifically NOT to change the Phantom set. Meaning, the proper course of action would've been the same thing they are going to do for the Red Revealer set:

The artwork for the Skip Tracer pack will be updated to show the appropriate outfit in a future patch.

That's right, update the promo artwork. Now that option has gone out of the window, there are few options left for them.

Either they change the set to the group with the greatest apparent following, which seems to be those who liked the original design, and adjust the promo artwork to reflect that. Or to make both parties happy and give people the option to trade the pieces free of charge for a new set that has the original design.

I'm fine with either solution, though obviously, there are a few (yes, few) who'd be upset with the first solution, so for Bioware, the second solution would probably be better.

it's about principles; and good faith.

they know they screwed up alright - backing out on a deal is bad.

and doing nothing will only erode further more the fragile trust they just started to rebuild...

for me now the question is:

how much do they value customers on both sides of the debate with either valid points.

I had the entire Phantom set augmented and when I logged on today was shocked to see my new look. At first i was pissed as a human knee jerk reaction, but then the new look really grew on me when i selected to not display the helm and saw the cool hood which looked better with the puffy shoulders.

Out of selfisness I hope they don't change it back, but then again, I'm a sorc. If I was not a force user and had configured a particular look around wearing the chest and color syncing it to other gear , ya, I'd probably be pretty upset.

Somewhat related, I was mad when I first used CC to purchase the red Investigator's set for my sent and found the Chest to be jet black. However I then changed out a few pieces including wearing Revan's lower robe and fell in love with my new look. After augmenting new gear to go with the black bugged Investigator's chest, I really hope they don't ever correct this bug by changing it back to the originally intended red color.

So, you're happy they "fixed" the phantom chest, but you don't want your investigator's chest "fixed" to match the pictures? Am I the only one who sees something fundamentally wrong with this? What about those that put an equal amount of time, effort, and credits into building their outfits around the "bugged" gear that was "fixed"?

So, you're happy they "fixed" the phantom chest, but you don't want your investigator's chest "fixed" to match the pictures? Am I the only one who sees something fundamentally wrong with this? What about those that put an equal amount of time, effort, and credits into building their outfits around the "bugged" gear that was "fixed"?

Perhaps you read my post with too much haste?

Did you miss the part where I said "out of selfishness" and the part where I sympathize with others who aren't happy with the changes?

This is really odd what Bioware is doing. Not only is this armor random loot from RNG boxes, now it also changed the looks and has hood. I didnt get this as it looked odd for robe that doesnt have hood down but completely missing. Seems i was right it was bug, but i feel for them who bought this ether with credits or directly got from box with REAL money - ouch. Edited by Divona

i'm continually dissapointed by the people of this thread.

Those of you who bought this item on the GTN, you're not losing anything, your credits aren't real and you can get those back pretty damned easily. But those items had to get to the GTN... how did they get there? mostly from dissapointed customers paying REAL money for the packs to get these items, only to find they're not what we were after in the first place.

Yes, we sold them on, for credits, a digital currency with no real world exchange value. Does that get our ACTUAL money back? no.

They fixed the issue for the people who actually dropped tangible funds, as it should be. And if you bought the packs to get the items for their incorrect appearances, shame on you for not doing your research before parting with your cash. It took two minutes for me to find out a fix was coming for these items, and so i hung on to mine. Heck, i even bought more since the fix was put in to get the trailblazer set, as i said earlier in the thread.

Phantom set was to be as it looks on the advertisment, and I'll be damned if me, or the hundreds who wanted it fixed and have begged for it for 3 weeks will be ignored on our long plight.

Less than 90 people posted in that thread asking for it to be "fixed".

Many of the posters in that thread posted multiple times, meaning even less people were asking for the Phantom set to be "fixed".

Most didn't even address the Phantom set AT ALL, meaning yet again, LESS people asking for the Phantom set to be "fixed".

Several of the very few people actually posting about the Phantom set have asked to NOT "fix" the phantom set.

The artwork for the Skip Tracer pack will be updated to show the appropriate outfit in a future patch.
And this is what should've been done for the Phantom set as well: fix the artwork, NOT the set. Edited by AsheraII

i'm continually dissapointed by the people of this thread.

Those of you who bought this item on the GTN, you're not losing anything, your credits aren't real and you can get those back pretty damned easily. But those items had to get to the GTN... how did they get there? mostly from dissapointed customers paying REAL money for the packs to get these items, only to find they're not what we were after in the first place.

Yes, we sold them on, for credits, a digital currency with no real world exchange value. Does that get our ACTUAL money back? no.

They fixed the issue for the people who actually dropped tangible funds, as it should be. And if you bought the packs to get the items for their incorrect appearances, shame on you for not doing your research before parting with your cash. It took two minutes for me to find out a fix was coming for these items, and so i hung on to mine. Heck, i even bought more since the fix was put in to get the trailblazer set, as i said earlier in the thread.

I spent BOTH Cartel Coins and in game credits into obtaining this set after seeing in a preview window how it looked in game. There was NO reason for me to bother searching the forums whether it was going to be updated, the devtracker post you like to refer to as "announcing" this change did NOT specifically mention the items to be affected, and actually didn't even mention that they were Cartel Items at all. Nor did it mention WHAT was going to be fixed, the post might've even meant that it was going to be the artwork that was going to be fixed, just like this one:

As far as the Phantom set goes. They finally gave us what was advertised, what was intended finally and you people crying about it make no sense at all, and is complete nonsense, and beyond ridiculous. The set never should of looked the way it did when it was released period.

All I see is personal crying. Sorry folks, but I care more about getting the gear that was promised over complaining for personal wants. And wanted items to stay not as they were intended is just flat out stupid. From the day the pack in the picture below went live, the picture of the Phantom set has always been what it finally got corrected to today.

I said it in another thread I'll say it here too. The real issue is in how long it took BW to correct the items.

I suppose it would be too much like right to simply petition for a secondary set instead of acting this way. And no I am not in support of BW either.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7459694_f260.jpg

Then they shouldn't have left it for a month then should they. If they knew they were going to do this they should have pulled it rather than allow people to continue to spend money on a product they knew was going to cease to exist.

You love the changes? Good for you.

But I don't. I bought the Spymaster set off of the gtn based on a preview of how sleek the bodysuit looked on my toon. I would have never spent the creds on a set that had that weird *** pocket on the chest or an annoying butt flap tunic type thing. It was a pretty unpleasant surprise when I logged in yesterday, it annoys the hell out of me and I think it sucks that Bioware made all of these changes after the gear had been out on the market for weeks and weeks. I am just seriously grateful that it's on one of my alts, and not on a level 50 toon where I would have spent a bunch more creds augmenting a piece of gear that I would toss out.

Really stupid move, Bioware. I much less likely to give a crap about any of the adaptive gear now, because who knows if it's going to be the same piece three weeks after I buy it.