Who said PvP in TOR sucks?

-Holmes

Issues or not, people PvP enough to ***** and complain about it. They all say they don't care about it anymore, but they always come back for more. As flawed and imbalanced as people claim it is, it's still fun.

I thought PVP was really fun pre 1.4, now its just kick in the wall fustrating with all of the overly overly overly ultra excessive CC we have now.

Edited by DarthSabreth

Fact: I know of tons of players who simply love much of the class play in this game, love most of the warzones (which are frankly far more fun in general than nearly any other mmo I have played) and have amazing memories of close fought battles where teams just happened to be near equal.

Fact: I know tons of players who also find the pvp at times to be the most frustrating experience they have ever had when balance is out the window when you face a team that not only plays the game better (which nearly everyone will accept without issue) but also have so much better gear than even the best player in lesser gear has no chance against.

Do you see the issue here? The foundation behind pvp in this game isn't in a bad situation. Most classes are fun, most warzones are fun and games can be a blast once you don't feel you are be facerolled by gear and not just skill.

The lack of any balance to pvp at in any bracket is what is killing pvp. Illum will get reworked, new warzones will be introduced, new open world objectives will be added ... yet never a moment where you can enter feeling on par with everyone else. Cap an objective with your team using the best strategy and team play just to watch 4 players get rolled by 2 simply because they out gear you and little to do with skill? No thanks. That isn't sport.

Please note I say this because I also hate stomping others in less gear than me. Why should I have this ability? I need gear to have even a chance against those in better gear which then allows me to stomp others who simply want to learn to win with skill and not need crutches. This is a pointless cycle. Rated warzones are the only place where gear should even matter and I say this simply as a gating mechanic. I still would rather see nothing more than ranks from skill based game play gate rated entry.

Player skill can never be top priority in pvp when gear has so much impact on game play. This is a universal truth.

Edited by Tamanous

Something must be working fine if ur still here

yeah its called:

1. im a star wars fan and i like all of the classes and the story.

2. I have faith that BW will make pvp fun again when they fix the resolve system so we dont have all of the excessive CC in the game and also add cross server ques alowing premades to be sent directly to the ranked que meaning all 4 man / 8 man groups sent there by default.

I have been waiting for this game to come out since conception and i am not at the moment ready to give up on it, unless BW really drops the ball and ruins the game, which i doubt will happen.

with that being said, i still researve the right as a paying customer to let BW know what i like about the game as well as what i do not like about the game. holding something in does not add to change whether that change is good or bad who knows what the future holds for the game.

PvP in this game is a love/hate relationship.

That's pretty much the story in every game though. No PvP game is balanced. Every PvP game has its positives and negatives. I've pretty much played them all, but I stick with SWTOR and BF3. Not because they are perfect mind you, both need a lot of work. Those are just the two PvP games I have the most fun playing.

the devs are aware of the popularity of PvP.

way back the devs said that 50% have participated in WZs, 30% had participated in endgame ops. recent dev interviews confirm that PvP is still more popular. yet the direction they are taking the game is worse and worse for PvP

alot of people eat at mcdonalds doesnt mean its good food lol

fine play your broken pvp and be happy...

or you could do the smart thing like all the other peopel that unsubscribed to this proken game, and get a life, or find a diffrent game to ***** about

That's pretty much the story in every game though. No PvP game is balanced. Every PvP game has its positives and negatives. I've pretty much played them all, but I stick with SWTOR and BF3. Not because they are perfect mind you, both need a lot of work. Those are just the two PvP games I have the most fun playing.

No, most real PVP games are much better balanced than this. If you restrict PVP to MMOs only then I can see your point.

But comparing this against Starcraft, Soul Calibur V, COD or whatever other games in real PVP genres people play in competitively is a joke. Nobody would ever pay money to enter into a tournament for this game, but there are actual leagues for real competitive PVP games, with big payouts. I have friends that run these things and win in them, it's a different world entirely.

No, most real PVP games are much better balanced than this. If you restrict PVP to MMOs only then I can see your point.

But comparing this against Starcraft, Soul Calibur V, COD or whatever other games in real PVP genres people play in competitively is a joke. Nobody would ever pay money to enter into a tournament for this game, but there are actual leagues for real competitive PVP games, with big payouts. I have friends that run these things and win in them, it's a different world entirely.

When exactly does anyone (besides you) objectively think MMORPG PvP is supposed to be equal in skill to CoD/BF3?

What idiot either expects that, or thinks that?

When exactly does anyone (besides you) objectively think MMORPG PvP is supposed to be equal in skill to CoD/BF3?

What idiot either expects that, or thinks that?

Apparently you do, bragging about "skills" where there is none. You're like a 1st grader learning his multiplication tables for the first time trying to brag about how you are a Harvard Physics major.

The biggest problem I have is resolve and roots still not being considered a CC. Sometimes it just seems like playing your character wasn't actually intended in pvp with the way stuns can be chained so easily. If someone stuns you while you're still stunned, you can get a couple extra seconds of being stunned without filling up the resolve the rest of the way. After that, you can still be stunned for the full duration or have an 8 second CC thrown on you.

I don't understand why there is no DR on anything and why being immune doesn't last very long. You can actually be CC'd longer than you're immune. As far as roots not being a CC goes, a good sniper/gunslinger can easily show someone otherwise.

Macroeconomics....dude...lol.

I enjoy swtor pvp and because of how it is set up I am able to do very well on all 8 classes instead of every other mmo where I have had 2 main chars.

However, to say it is more complex is just hilarious. SWTOR classes have very low skill softcaps and are easy to play at a decent lvl in a short time. Add this to a decent gear gap that requires some effort that the average player won't put in (min/maxing) and no real matchmaking system to speak of and it is pretty obvious that the pvp in swtor is anything but complex.

Also, in mmos the main skills are situational awareness and smart targetting. With only 8v8 this is not as important and not nearly as hard as it is in 15v15 or 20v20 matches. We even have guarding and taunting for premades to take advantage of. This makes most matches very easy for a proper composition premade. Composition really is HUGE in this mmo and moreso than in many mmos.

With the low skill softcap pretty much any 4 people with good gear and the right comp can be very very strong. This isn't the case in many mmos I have played. In rift for example my group of 5 would often take on groups of 15+ geared players and win. My group of 5 was not a proper composition by any means either lol.

Now I have talked about softcap and so if you are much more skilled you can overcome this but swtor is perfect for mediocre players with good gear and the right classes to be very strong. That is one reason why people are fighting a premade matching system. In many mmos I have played people wanted a good matchmaking system. In SWTOR this is not the case. Many of the mediocre players think they are good but deep down they know they aren't.

With the low skill softcap pretty much any 4 people with good gear and the right comp can be very very strong. This isn't the case in many mmos I have played. In rift for example my group of 5 would often take on groups of 15+ geared players and win. My group of 5 was not a proper composition by any means either lol.

aren't.

You lost me on this part sorry. Are you sayinhg that rift and swtor are similar in that small groups of well geared players can overcome much greater numbers? Or are you saying that swtor and rift are different in this regards? If so you have given the same example of 4 or 5 people holding off larger numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
or you could do the smart thing like all the other peopel that unsubscribed to this proken game, and get a life, or find a diffrent game to ***** about

what the hell do you want?

get a "proken" life yourself lol

Edited by ODTONE

Look no further than the PVP area of my "PVE" server, then go over to the PVE area, the only people that say "this is a PVE game, go PVP somewhere else" are the Carebears that can't stand that the player base doesn't want KOTR 3 and that everyone doesn't want to run around a fight the same computer characters ever day that do the exact same things every day and say the same things every single day .

The DEVS to, seemed to have learned a hard lesson that they overspent and overdeveloped the gazillion voiced NPCs that they want you to listen to and the big bad NPCs they want you to fight but dropped the ball on the most important part of any MMO, the PVP (they did the same with the 2nd most important part of a MMO, the economy).