The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I canceled my WoW sub (Playing WoW since 2007).

Frostsaeber

Hello guys,

I just started playing SWtor only a few days ago, and immediately, I realized this is the game I had been looking for. First, let's start with the artistic elements of the Swtor.

1) The scenery is incredible ... vivid ... real. When I stepped onto Coruscant at level 10, I dropped my WoW sub. The dedication by the artists and modelers, that was put into every nook and cranny of the map, even areas you cannot enter, was just phenomenal.

I have never been sold by "eye candy" before, this game did it right, it did it naturally and professionally at the same time.

2) The stories and quests are engaging. I don't remember reading more than 1% of all quest text in WoW, I usually just looked at the my addons to tell me where to go and what to do real quick. In SWtor, the voice acting alone is enough to keep me interested, couple that with a good story line. As a bonus, you can build relationships with npcs to give them a good shag (so happy I picked female as smuggler, lots of dirty scoundrels out there!).

3) I feel like I am accomplishing something while I am a low level. I'm level 15, and I feel like I've earned my place in Swtor already.

4) There is so much custom ability, so many engaging activities (companions ftw), I actually LIKE WALKING to instances and actually having to WALK through my world (WoW should be renamed World of Stormwind).

5) OMG, it's STAR WARS.

6) I decided to sub while I was technically "restricted" by my F2P limitations. I found the game that fun, even when restricted.

7) Intuitive interfaces, and customizable interfaces as well, if you';re not happy with stock setup, no need for addons and updating them, and having them crash every new patch (although I haven't tried healing yet).

8) THE COMMUNITY IS FRIENDLY AND SOCIABLE.

9) Not only is the design of the terrain, maps and scenery good, but so are the raw graphics themselves.

10) There is still so much more for me to explore in SWtor since I'm only level 15

11) I'm probably going to roll every class and spec multiple times on different servers for different outcomes in my quest choices, I already get an alt to level 8 (Consular)

12) Oh yeah, did I mention that Voice Acting?

HOW THE HELL IS ANYONE STILL PLAYING WOW?

Tell everyone you know who is playing WoW that it's time to move on. I wish I tried this game earlier.

Edited by Frostsaeber
addition

Hello guys,

I just started playing SWtor only a few days ago, and immediately, I realized this is the game I had been looking for. First, let's start with the artistic elements of the Swtor.

Tell everyone you know who is playing WoW that it's time to move on. I wish I tried this game earlier.

I can understand. My wife and kids played WOW for a long time, and I understand the hook. But TOR is just such a great game. I was looking at the textures on a few of the characters last night during story stuff and was amazed at how the mouths move so well to the words being spoken. I think it was a good choice to go with the slightly animated tone in TOR so that it doesn't look so dated 10 years from now, as WOW does now. The engine that BioWare is using does a great job with all the stuff that is going on. I hope that in 2013 BioWare comes up with ways to keep their SUBs for many years like WOW has managed to do. The story modes run out of content eventually, but it is fantastic in the journey between the start and the character maturity arch to level 50.

I am hooked now that I've done some of the Nar Shaddaa stuff in speaking with the Hutts. Their animations are simply fabulous, and the voices are fantastic. Turn up the base when you speak to them!!!!!

I really enjoy this game, but I couldn't disagree more with #1.

WoW's art department is head over heels better than SWTOR's. It's not even close.

I only played a little of MoP but the new area is stunningly beautiful. I can't think of a single area in SWTOR where I was like "Wow, this is really cool looking!" Actually, maybe Voss, but that's it.

I guess it's subjective though.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Also, please know that a lot of the members that frequent this board are a little jaded by the small things (myself included to an extent) and a lot of the time, they completely forget how much fun this game was the first few play throughs. Anyway, enjoy! There's a lot to love about the game and even if, like others, you eventually get burnt out, that won't stop you from loving the next couple months or so while you're experiencing everything for the first time. Edited by Galbatorrix

Hello guys,

I just started playing SWtor only a few days ago, and immediately, I realized this is the game I had been looking for.

Have fun, OP, but may I give you a piece of advice?

If you are enjoying the game, visiting the forum is a really baaaaad idea. I'm not talking a little bad, I'm talking Jar Jar Binks bad. Go enjoy the game and never look at General Discussion as long as you want it to remain that way.

Edited by TheNahash

As with any MMO, enjoy the journey to 50/55, that is where the game is. People who rush to 50 and do the same grind day in and day out are the qq players. I had fun with all my characters and now all I do is Section X and HM flashpoints. Kinda boring, but the goal is to be ready for Makeb. Enjoy the ride and dont worry about getting to end-game. Its not as much fun as the leveling process.

Glad to hear about someone enjoying themselves. Take your time, enjoy the sights and sounds, explore. For maximum value, leave general chat in-game and never come back here.

General chat actually isn't too bad (on my server at least). Additionally as for the forums, actually it wouldn't be bad for more of us enjoying the game to be here, might actually eventually change the general attitude here a bit :p.

Hello guys,

1) The scenery is incredible ... vivid ... real. When I stepped onto Coruscant at level 10, I dropped my WoW sub. The dedication by the artists and modelers, that was put into every nook and cranny of the map, even areas you cannot enter, was just phenomenal.

I have never been sold by "eye candy" before, this game did it right, it did it naturally and professionally at the same time.

2) The stories and quests are engaging. I don't remember reading more than 1% of all quest text in WoW, I usually just looked at the my addons to tell me where to go and what to do real quick. In SWtor, the voice acting alone is enough to keep me interested, couple that with a good story line. As a bonus, you can build relationships with npcs to give them a good shag (so happy I picked female as smuggler, lots of dirty scoundrels out there!).

3) I feel like I am accomplishing something while I am a low level. I'm level 15, and I feel like I've earned my place in Swtor already.

4) There is so much custom ability, so many engaging activities (companions ftw), I actually LIKE WALKING to instances and actually having to WALK through my world (WoW should be renamed World of Stormwind).

5) OMG, it's STAR WARS.

9) Not only is the design of the terrain, maps and scenery good, but so are the raw graphics themselves.

10) There is still so much more for me to explore in SWtor since I'm only level 15

I can completely relate OP. I found myself logging into that OTHER game and would just stand around doing nothing. I was not really upset with any of the recent changes I just felt "Meh" about it in general. I was told I was suffering from burnout, but since picking this game back up (started about 2 weeks after release, took a break after legacy system was released so they could work on the graphics compatability issues), I just have not had the drive to go back.

I think a lot of people can relate to this. This game, for all its downfalls, has a lot more content to offer than other games and actually revolutionizes some aspects of the MMO industry. Other MMOs out there are still doing the same text based quest grinding, whereas Swtor actually feels and looks like a modern video game.

Welcome to the game OP, hope your stay is long and happy.

Have fun, OP, but may I give you a piece of advice?

If you are enjoying the game, visiting the forum is a really baaaaad idea. I'm not talking a little bad, I'm talking Jar Jar Binks bad. Go enjoy the game and never look at General Discussion as long as you want it to remain that way.

What he said OP. Whatever you do don't get put off when you accidentally get caught in a crossfire between the trolls and fanbois when they start acting like hyperactive rhesus monkeys flinging flaming fecal matter at each other.

:p

Hello guys,

5) OMG, it's STAR WARS.

6) I decided to sub while I was technically "restricted" by my F2P limitations. I found the game that fun, even when restricted.

7) Intuitive interfaces, and customizable interfaces as well, if you';re not happy with stock setup, no need for addons and updating them, and having them crash every new patch (although I haven't tried healing yet).

11) I'm probably going to roll every class and spec multiple times on different servers for different outcomes in my quest choices, I already get an alt to level 8 (Consular)

Do me a favor. Get as many like minded friends of yours still playing WoW and bring em over! Welcome to SWTOR!!

My first toon was a smuggler. Most fun I have ever had on an MMO and the first time I actually paid attention to the story line in any MMO. Probably cause the voice acting. I always just skipped the wall of text in other MMOs.

And totatly agree you do feel like you have acomplished something early on in the game. Probably because they have so many low level FP. :)

Anyway love your post and hope you continue to enjoy the ride! :D

I played WoW from 2005 -2010 and got hooked into something I wasnt really enjoying 90% of the time, just because I enjoyed the other 10%. The grind treadmill for limited gain in the end finished it for me.

Now many of you could probably say the same about swtor at lvl 50 and im sure thats the case. But the difference with this game is the leveling is story driven and is actually enjoyable whereas in WoW that was not the case.

Personally im likely to play this game with the mindset that its KOTOR3 with co-op as im not really into any repetitive grinding as I have been in the past.

I actually returned to WoW for a 10 day pass on MOP and have to say I was incredibly underwhelmed with the quests and playstyle

Enjoy the game while still you can, and let's hear you when you hit 50 and start to lvl new chars over and over :p hehe I'm joking, but unfortunately sometimes you may get frustrated. Just don't loose your spirit.

Btw I don't have a black/white situation for myself. I still actively play and raid in WoW (since 2004), and also keep playing SWTOR. Both games have their own beauties I like. Sometimes u get bored of the transitions between the maps in SWTOR and miss the easy access in WoW. And sometimes you get bored of the comicbook style sword and board world in WoW and would like to live in the world of Star Wars and so on... Enjoy the moment!

General chat actually isn't too bad (on my server at least). Additionally as for the forums, actually it wouldn't be bad for more of us enjoying the game to be here, might actually eventually change the general attitude here a bit :p.
\

Thought you guys needed a pick me up!

:rak_03:

Welcome, OP, and thanks for the positive thread - they are like cool water in the desert on this Forum.

It's fantastic that you are enjoying SWTOR, and as a WOWer of old, I agree with your points, both about the game mechanics and the community.

For me, the second point is actually more important than the first. The community in SWTOR, especially in group content, is far more patient, helpful and polite than 95% of the people on Farstriders, in my experience.

I hope that your stay will be long and happy.