How long will SWTOR live?

Swissbob

Well WOW has died for some because of their switch to a more kid game. Swtor has potiential but it really matters if they are going to fix all of the outstanding bugs or say screw it the cartel market is more important. Subscribers like myself don't feel appreciated.

Longer than SWG, this game has opened the doors for a lot of potential. The problem being that some of the people working on it, can't grasp that. They think having the Bioware name protects them from making bad choices. Most of the people in Bioware Austin likely have nothing to do with Bioware edmonton.

In fact, I bet that most of these guys had applied to Bioware throughout the years and never even got an interview. When Bioware expanded and EA HR got behind it, we stopped seeing the cream of the crop rise through well crafted games and began to see the same "I am in, will land a contract anywhere" types. No pride or reverance do the studio they now represent.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, sadly it seems like the people working on it now, don't give a ****. It's heart breaking, even their community presence has nearly died. The value of the project these people are on, is nowhere where it should be. The term "drowning your babies" floats around in the industry, but once one starts to live, there shouldn't be other people trying to drown it still.

I see this game lasting, if they slowly introduce some more passionate employees into the leadership roles. Focus heavily on ensuring the quality of the product is beyond acceptable and lives, breaths and eats this game.

The cartel market is a money grab, sure. Got to keep the lights on, fair enough. Makeb is a micro expansion, as far as we can tell. I pre-order games based on studio, team, if friends worked on the title or if its something interesting to me, regardless of any gameplay info. But if the people working at Bioware right now, don't start giving a **** about their games, they're going the way of Westwood, defunct, or worse... Like EA or KOEI and pumping out **** franchise after franchise.

The question shouldn't be how long SWTOR lasts, but how long Bioware is going to last. Especially since it is slipping out of that "excited to pre-order" whatever they release zone.

I hope it last 10 years, not so much for myself, I'll be gone long before that, but for those who really like it.

I have a suspicion it won't survive to see its second anniversary though without massive changes. The CM bought them some time, but its novelty will wear out fast. The whole F2P thing is a good tool to get people to play the game but that was never the issue. The issue is keeping people playing, and the CM won't do much of anything for that. It's still essentially the exact same game that barely hung onto 25% of those who originally bought it. The reason for my pessimism is they show absolutely no understanding or acknowledgement of the game's issues and the public relations with the customers they do have would have to improve greatly to reach "bad".

The lol EMU has been coming since 2005

Bit of a joke now to most

Oh well, at least it's progressing, so even though I wont play it the emulator will in all likelihood someday be finished, is in open alpha or something last I checked

Edited by SNCommand

SWTOR will be around for years and years to come. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

EA spent way too much money on this game to shut it down - if the straights get dire they will just skeleton crew it, put it on life support and let it run itself for years (This is what SoE has been doing with Vanguard for years now).

So the answer is many many years.

What do you guys think? How long will the game stay afloat?

=SOON=

if you believe what bioware say lol

The question should be - how long will the commuity last? If EA drive it into the ground

Edited by SWaotc

• 2 weeks later...
i honestly don't think this game will make to 5 years and a decade at most. Unless Bioware actually gives this game fun non-repetitive game play. I love making tons of alts but when the only thing that's different is come dialogue because of different class missions. Endgame is just doing the same old dailies over and over. They finally announce an actual expansion instead of teasing us with trailers and it's only 5 levels. $10 for 5 levels if your a subscriber and $20 if your F2P. Personally i love this game but they're making it to the point where it's just not worth the money

Honestly? Until the license comes up for renewal in X years and EA/LucasArts decide to extend it or allow it to end.

Until that time, if this license works like most I.P. licenses I have worked on in the past (Warhammer, Star Wars RPG, Highlander, and Conan), it would take a pretty hefty fee from EA to get out of it early, if there even is such a clause. Not all license agreements contain them. Highlander, for example, did not.

That's a good point. I personally don't see this going away anytime soon. At least for a couple of more years at the very least. However, time will tell how the development progresses and where their priorities lie. Here's a hint. The Cartel Market is not a priority for players. I know it is for share holders and EA. But we don't care about what they want. We care about what we want. Now that the market is in place, focus on what is needed to make us happy, with new features and quality of life. Just a warning, don't insult our intelligence by putting things like a Life day experience as a Cartel Market purchase again, rather than some kind of event, Mr. Cory Butler... Decisions like that is what makes you loose subscribers among other bad decisions. Keep that in mind for the future.

Now that the 2012 prophecies pool as dried up people need to find other things to preach about its end, welcome to SWTOR General Discussion! Your new fountain of Doom and Gloom!

Lol! Yup. This comes up about once a month. My favorite was the one about TOR not surviving beyond 1.2. Better yet, the argument that the game didn't survive because it went f2p. Love that bit...

this game will last longer than my paying for it will...

as long as the bugs, lack of end game, gross class imbalances, extremem latentcy (WC servers), poor communication, lack of meaningful PvP, and other issues do not get fixed.

they got my money for 1 more patch...

if the above issues are not being acknowledged, addressed, communicated, and corrected it will be the last.

What do you guys think? How long will the game stay afloat? How long until the servers close down and the game becomes a memory? I personally enjoy the game...even with all of it's flaws. I hope it has very a long lifetime. (Maybe we'll even see Pazaak or Free Roaming Space PvP... who knows) My head's probably in the clouds... what about ya'll?

I'm curious what you all have to say. :D

(Knowing these forums, I'm expecting either a extremely snarky response, or an extremely negative response ;) I'm JK, let me know what you think :D )

Well putting Hickman in charge worries me (he's considered by many to have put the nail in the coffin for Warhammer) but at the same time, they decided to keep Warhammer up despite having very few people. So I think they'll keep it up as long as they make a profit, even a small one. Expect it to go on Maintenance within a couple of years, but that it will stay up for years in that state - probably Maintenance from 2014-2019.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.