So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the expansion is cheaper than the holiday speeder so I fail to see what the complaining is about

The fact they place less value on the "expansion" than a holiday speeder should be a clue as to what will actually be included in the "expansion." If a robe or ridiculous holiday speeder has a higher value, that's... you know... kinda scary.

Maybe the point is: $12 for a robe or speeder is too much if an entire planet-full of quests and 5 character levels isn't even worth that much.

Edited by InnerPieces

You know we were promised we won't get charged for it.....

It's not about price is about principle, they keep on promising us stuff then keep on backing out, it's infuriating.

Actually, we were never promised anything. There was 'leaked' info that it would be free, but BW didn't say anything official about it.

Perfectly said... except....

$20 Character Transfers

(remember those free character consolidation transfers we've been waiting on for 8 months or more)

Isn't this exactly what people were so concerned about happening with the introduction of the F2P option? If you ask me, the Hutt Cartel has already risen and is kicking our butts.

But then, I'm still curious why a speeder or the Jedi Robes re-released today cost as much or more than the "expansion?" Most of the purchasable outfits cost as much or more than the "expansion." It's a rhetorical musing, really. It's just another sign that the above quoted statements are the future of this game.

I just think it's a sad state of affairs when one outfit has a greater value than a planet-full of quests and 5 more character levels.

Can someone show me the quote where they state the Thundercat race will be purchased by subscribers, please? I neither want a Khajiit nor do I doubt they will charge us extra for it. I'd just like to see it.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/22517-bioware-livestream-q-a-coverage livestream. You can see the QA notes though instead of watching it (it's at the very end so not worth watching).

"If it does well on the market place, we will do more."

The fact they place less value on the "expansion" than a holiday speeder should be a clue as to what will actually be included in the "expansion." If a robe or ridiculous holiday speeder has a higher value, that's... you know... kinda scary.

Maybe the point is: $12 for a robe or speeder is too much if an entire planet-full of quests and 5 character levels isn't even worth that much.

or that they just place a reasonable opinion on how much people will over spend when it comes to impulse buys of vanity items during the holiday season .... same reason why when I stopped at the store earlier the "Christmas donuts" which are just normal donuts but red and green were twice the cost of the normal ones sitting next to them

I suppose there is also the fact the Life Day speeder is a limited time offer deal for the holiday where as the expansion will be available all the time after release... you know companies love to get you with that "only available for a limited time" type stuff

Edited by Liquidacid

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/22517-bioware-livestream-q-a-coverage livestream. You can see the QA notes though instead of watching it (it's at the very end so not worth watching).

"If it does well on the market place, we will do more."

Hah.... I forgot all about that.

I wish they'd chosen a well known canon race so it would actually do well. I guess whether or not we get real Star Wars races depends on how well the pseudo-book-only-Star Wars race does.

Thanks. I can't stand it, but it's what I asked for. So, thanks.

... same reason why when I stopped at the store earlier the "Christmas donuts" which are just normal donuts but red and green were twice the cost of the normal ones sitting next to them

That's sad...

(I apologized for you initially, but I mis-read that and thought you wrote you bought them. I guess it's kind of like the gambling thing we discussed awhile back. It's like, preying on human weakness. Makes it even more pathetic, in a way)

Edited by InnerPieces

Well, I don't think they are trying to rip us off, I thing they are trying to save the game and their jobs, it has not taken over the mmorpg world and got as much money as expected, yes we can complain all day about bugs. Cartel coin, squeezing our money out of us. But hell, for what little they ask for for over 5 hour a day pure enjoyment,at about 21cents a hour, I'll keep pumping my money there way, I'm not expecting big things from the expansion but at 10dollars, i think I can stretch that instead of having a burger, fries and shake

the real sad part was people were buying them up... lol

I apologized for you initially, but I mis-read that and thought you wrote you bought them. So I apologize for my carelessness. LOL

I guess it's kind of like the gambling thing we discussed awhile back. It's like preying on human weakness. Makes it even more pathetic, in a way... I don't blame them. I'm just not cool with it.

In completely related news, I found out (intentionally removed to avoid violating the TOS) just dropped it's subscription and became B2P. I don't know if it's worth it, but I might be willing to drop the $15 there instead to find out. I've heard good things about it. It'll probably end up just like the Cartel store in 6 months though. XD

Ever the optimist:

Edited by InnerPieces

Based on the interview with James Ohlen 6 months ago some of this content was supposed to be free. Why was this changed? I feel like Bioware is trying to nickel and dime me with an expansion pack. I already pay 15$ a month why are you trying to squeeze 10$ more out of me? Here is the link to the video showing Makeb was intended to be a free addition not an expansion pack.

http://starwarstorguide.blogspot.com/2012/12/pre-order-makeb-its-supposed-to-be-free.html

I seriously hope there is alot more to this xpac to force squeeze money out of me. I hope a company representative will explain this.

Based on the interview with James Ohlen 6 months ago some of this content was supposed to be free. Why was this changed? I feel like Bioware is trying to nickel and dime me with an expansion pack. I already pay 15$ a month why are you trying to squeeze 10$ more out of me? Here is the link to the video showing Makeb was intended to be a free addition not an expansion pack.

http://starwarstorguide.blogspot.com/2012/12/pre-order-makeb-its-supposed-to-be-free.html

I seriously hope there is alot more to this xpac to force squeeze money out of me. I hope a company representative will explain this.

Welcome to the party...pal

The first time we heard that they were considering charging for it was from...Jeff Hickman. You'll recognize Jeff Hickman as the ever-smiling business guy replacing the true developers who were let go months ago who both looks and sounds like a used-car salesman who knows we're "Just gonna love" whatever mediocre cash-shop item/addon (like Makeb) they're on the verge of releasing.

Go watch the most recent Q&A, Jeff Hickman is the guy on the right laughing off all of the player bases' legitimate concerns. AKA the current Executive Producer.

Edited by Korusus

It sucks that BioWare has to go back on what they said, but we have to show some understanding. We can't expect free expansions from a free to play game; that's an unrealistic expectation on our part. Switching to the free to play model is a huge change, and we can't expect every promise made before that shift to hold up.

The price of this expansion is roughly half the price of a new WoW expansion (and half again if you pre-order as a subscriber.) So long as it provides us at least half of the content of a typical WoW expansion, I don't think anyone has a right to complain that they're charging for it.

-Macheath.

It sucks that BioWare has to go back on what they said, but we have to show some understanding. We can't expect free expansions from a free to play game; that's an unrealistic expectation on our part. Switching to the free to play model is a huge change, and we can't expect every promise made before that shift to hold up.

The price of this expansion is roughly half the price of a new WoW expansion (and half again if you pre-order as a subscriber.) So long as it provides us at least half of the content of a typical WoW expansion, I don't think anyone has a right to complain that they're charging for it.

-Macheath.

And I agree with you sir , just wish we could use our cartel coins to buy the content patch.

And no those cartel coins are not free or else everyone would be getting them.

We pay 10$ a month for the sub and buy 5$ worth of coins with that sub as well, for a total of 15$ a month.

The amount of fuss people will make over ten dollars is incredible.

What is a few bucks?

We get a few more levels and a planet to explore, that is enough for me

You two will continue being drones for the rest of your lives. You're missing the point. It's not the amount of money that matters.