If I wanted to gamble, I would spend money at a gambling sight... Not in an MMO

Individual

Those boxes are worthless. People are better off letting the rich kids buy the boxes and just spending the in-game credits on the items once they hit the GTN. I'm not going to spend real money on a "chance" to get something cool. I would spend a little real money on some of the items if they were in the Cartel Market. I think Bioware has this all mixed up... Just my opinion though i guess.

Those boxes are worthless. People are better off letting the rich kids buy the boxes and just spending the in-game credits on the items once they hit the GTN. I'm not going to spend real money on a "chance" to get something cool. I would spend a little real money on some of the items if they were in the Cartel Market. I think Bioware has this all mixed up... Just my opinion though i guess.

I agree too. No reason to spend real life money for those boxes at all.

The obvious answer seems to be "then don't gamble". I don't either.

What's the point of this thread though?

I will say that you have your choice which is what is great I completely understand that you will not be buying any of the boxes. There are however people that have the opposite opinion that will buy the boxes. That said as long as there is interest you will continue to see more boxes. Everything is a choice you may choose not to buy the boxes but some other items in the store so there is something for everyone.

All the stuff in the boxes should be available from the market for direct purchase.

Make the gambling box cost less than it would cost to just buy the stuff, and you will still sell gambling box's.

For instance, if a cartel pack is 350 and has a chance to drop 2 ultra, 3 rare, and 2 common items, put the ultra's, like white crystals up for 900 CC, the rares up for 400 cc and the commons up for 200 cc

This way, if im feeling lucky, I can buy a pack and have a chance to get a discount on what I want, but if I just want to get a specific item and im willing to potentially pay extra for it, I can do that too.

They would make more money over all with this, but would make less money per person, so I highly doubt they will ever have the foresight to do it.

We have company's calculating profit margins on virtual items that are essentially cost free once they are created.

In other words, they calculate how much they are making per white crystal by the number of cartel packs purchased versus the number dropped and base their future plans on that.

Because they are mobile skin bags of meat and derp.

Edited by Slipfeed

Then dont buy the packs and get what you want of the GTN. No one is making you buy the packs

Then dont buy the packs and get what you want of the GTN. No one is making you buy the packs

Why some of you people always have to come in to say "then don't do this or don't do that, no one is forcing you" is beyond reason. You fail to see the OP's reasoning.

Edited by RikHar

Why some of you people always have to come in to say "then don't do this or don't do that, no one is forcing you" is beyond reason. You fail to see the OP's reasoning.

Not to mention some of us don't care about the crap in the boxes at all, we just want fresh and compelling content to be added to the subscriber game...and when we see the numbers of impulsive purchasers buying loads of these boxes, we worry that they are contributing to the future downfall of this game as EA runs the numbers and figures they can cut development staff further and make more money simply re-skinning crap, stuffing it inside lottery boxes, and selling it to schmucks who have no idea they are being fleeced for all they are worth.

What complainers fail to realize is that the cartel boxes pay for devs to create content for everyone.

Shush! This is the General Discussion crowd here- we only post reactionary responses, and react emotionally to every issue put forth to us! Please take "thinking" like that to the Community forums, or something!

:p

Edited by AboB

Not sure where this poor people thing is coming from. It's possible for someone to dislike the gambling aspect even if they have money. Not like gambling =/= being poor.

But I like the cartel boxes myself. I hate getting crap but it's exciting when I get something I actually want. It's what I spend most of my CC on. Although I think it's a good idea to have the boxes contents for sale, so that those who don't like gambling have another way of getting them besides the GTN. Also, I want to buy that new meditation chair. :p

Edited by Radzkie

If the rare and ultra-rare items were available separately in the market, two things would happen:

Those with disposable income who are buying a "hell o a lotta" boxes at the moment (read some of the threads and in-game chat to see just how many) will instead buy just the items they want. Massive drop in income.

The rare and ultra-rare items certainly would no longer be as everyone would just own them

So there are two reasons I can see that the items should not be sold separately. And as has been said before, if you don't like the gamble don't take it. Sit back and wait for the item you actually want to appear on the GTN and buy it there, for no real money cost.

If the cartel items were important to the point where an advantage could be had then yer, items should go on sale to all. As they aren't and are just cosmetic, then there is no need.

Once "new" rare and ultra-rare items suddenly start becoming popular things are just silly.

You know, there is a reason that lotteries are called "The Stupid Tax".

You mean to tell me that I've been incorrectly paying the government for all of these years!?

Excuse me, I have more to say, but I've just had an overwhelming urge to see what electricity tastes like. Straight from the socket, kinda like fresh apples!

*bzzzt*

Edited by AboB

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damion: Almost every conceivable metric is better for us and for you guys playing the game. We had expectations for what we thought this would do and so far it has blown away all of them. That just means good things for the team and for the game.

What poor complainers fail to realize is that the cartel boxes pay for devs to create content for everyone.

Or, you know, they could let us buy the items we want outright and use that money to help fund the game. As it is, the cartel market is getting none of my money.

You kinda just answered the reasoning behind it all...

EA can either:

- get most subscribers to spend a little real money on extra items. There is a cap on profit vs. content.

- get some subscribers to spend lots on extra items by including a random factor. There is no cap on profit vs. content. Increases percieved value of items as well.

Cleary EA, and history, has shown that there is more profit from the 2nd option. You could always get a 2nd job if you are really interested in these items. /shrug

Then do it. Why does it bother you that others may buy them? In fact, their buying them is what allows you do get them off the GTN so, in a manner of speaking, they are helping you. Why would you be angry at them for it?