Share Your 1st Anniversary Celebration Moments with the community!

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I find kind of funny is that for people wanting player generated content, everyone seems up in arms about not having a dev generated event. Why can't we come together on the fleet for the 1year anniversary and as a community do something, say, as a community to celebrate the anniversary? We could schedule something over the forums as a community to do and generate our own content.

But hey, that's just me, talking crazy. Back to your arguments.

Something I find kind of funny is that for people wanting player generated content, everyone seems up in arms about not having a dev generated event. Why can't we come together on the fleet for the 1year anniversary and as a community do something, say, as a community to celebrate the anniversary? We could schedule something over the forums as a community to do and generate our own content.

I dont want to "make believe" and sit around shooting a firework and Im not an rp'er. Sitting in the cantina /me talking to someone pretending im really my character...almost seems the height of insanity to me. Im already paying a subscription and in a fantasy world mmo for that. im also not paying them so I can make my own content. Its their job. Time for them to actually do it.

Edit: I dont mean to insult RP'ers. If thats your thing great. Go for it. Its just not mine.

Edited by Kazaganthis

I dont want to "make believe" and sit around shooting a firework and Im not an rp'er. Sitting in the cantina /me talking to someone pretending im really my character...almost seems the height of insanity to me. Im already paying a subscription and in a fantasy world mmo for that. im also not paying them so I can make my own content. Its their job. Time for them to actually do it.

Edit: I dont mean to insult RP'ers. If thats your thing great. Go for it. Its just not mine.

While I do enjoy the game, I think this post sums up my thoughts exactly regarding the lack of a holiday event.

Edited by Tomb-Stone

If we're supposed to make content on our own, tell me what do we need them (bioware) for? Why should we pay them anything?

Lets say we gather on the fleet, what can we do? Use fireworks ok. Anything else? Cant duel, can't sit, can't create any event since there are no tools for it, no minigames, no nothing. All we can do is stand around like idiots firing fireworks. While other games with smaller playerbase and less funds provide their subscribers with actual events. If bioscrooge doesn't feel like celebrating why should we?

Edited by Lucyfer_Infinity

I used to play Korean MMO on their US service, we had about 50k players and had 4 major events and at least 2 smaller events a year. They couldn't do the "copy-paste" of korean event for localization and different population taste even if they ended somewhat similar most time but a lot of coding was done this side.

If they could do it for 50k players how can EA do less for more then 10 times as many?

I like this idea - but I can;t think for the life of me what you could do on the fleet, or even where you could do it. There's no wide-open area big enough for anything meaningful ..... and firing fireworks on the fleet is pointless as you don;t see the explosions in certain areas.

Sadly ... I've seen three fireworks since these gifts were granted - the lonely trio I fired off on the Ilum landing pad to celebrate getting off the fleet for a change when I decided to do some daiies.

Welcome to the world of vocal minorities :p. It doesn't really matter what BioWare is going to do, there's always going to be another small group of people who's going to complain about it for days on these forums ;).

If we're supposed to make content on our own, tell me what do we need them (bioware) for? Why should we pay them anything?

Lets say we gather on the fleet, what can we do? Use fireworks ok. Anything else? Cant duel, can't sit, can't create any event since there are no tools for it, no minigames, no nothing. All we can do is stand around like idiots firing fireworks. While other games with smaller playerbase and less funds provide their subscribers with actual events. If bioscrooge doesn't feel like celebrating why should we?

This ^

I logged onto GW2 this weekend. Now that's an event! I invite the development team to check out the work the guys at ArenaNet did.

BW gave us fireworks and the opportunity to purchase items from the Cartel Network. Lets compare them to some of the other more active games at the moment. The below is just a copy and paste from ten ton hammer. I'm sure Sony is pulling out all the stops for their EQ2, Legends of Norrath, free Realms, Pirates of the Burning Sea etc. like they normally do. NCSoft has some nice Holiday stuff going on too! Pretty much everyone who is anyone in the MMO world has something going on.

MMO Holiday Event Guide

https://www.tentonhammer.com/previews/mmo-holiday-event-guide-2012-part-one

Star Trek Online

Q's Winter Wonderland returns to Star Trek Online from December 6th to January 14th. Yes, you too can enjoy holiday magic with that insanely annoying (but incredibly powerful) and pompous entity. To begin your trek to Q's Winter Wonderland, speak to Q at Qo'noS or Earth Spacedock and you'll be transported.

You can fend off the freezing attack of animated snowmen by pelting them with snowballs, and you can earn rewards for joining in the snowball fight, which you can turn in for various rewards such as new costumes. Players can face off against each other in the Fast and the Flurrious race. Practice your skating moves on the frozen lake or snuggle together in the gazebo. If you're lonely, you can earn a snowman pet or a winter tribble. It's only logical that you partake of Q's Winter Wonderland.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - I always liked Vanguards In-Game Events

Vanguard brings back the Festival of Gloriann this holiday season and begins December 15th. Players can loot Shards of Gloriann from defeated enemies. These shards can then be turned in to the Avatars of Gloriann that have appeared in Tanvu, New Targonor, and Khal for festive rewards. Gathering in the avatars' locations are a number of pilgrims, and players can speak to these pilgrims to learn the lore behind the festival. However, all isn't peaches and cream in the world as Finch and Ghalnn are stirring up trouble by creating three monsters. Heroes can defend the good people of Telon by slaying these monsters and recovering the stolen presents.

EVE Online

Celebrating the holidays takes a different turn in EVE Online. The good folks at CCP are having a dev incursion, where the devs, with their mighty fleet, will reign destruction down upon any who dare to oppose them. The joy for players is that you actually have the chance to shoot a dev down and score yourself some massive bragging rights!

These incursions will begin when players hear reports of a massive CCP fleet gathering in Polaris. These announcements will be broadcast through news channels, social media, and the in-game events forum. The dev fleet will then depart Polaris and appear in a selected system in New Eden, where they will mercilessly destroy everyone and everything. Damages from past dev incursions have hit billions in ISK damages. If you can't make the event, you can tune it to Own3d.tv and watch it live.

RIFT

Be you Defiant or Guardian, it's that special time in RIFT. Beginning on December 12th, the seasonal Fae Yule world event launches in Update 2.1: Endless Eclipse. The action focuses on the capital cities of Sanctum and Meridian, where Grandfather Frost offers quests and dailies, including snowball fights. If you want to get into the holiday action quickly, there are holiday-themed instant adventures. You can also take a portal to Iron Pike Peak where you can undertake sledding adventures, choosing to destroy snowmen as you fly down the mountain on a shield or you can opt to try your hand at going through banner checkpoints.

If you're in the mood for PvP, there is a holiday-themed Whitefall warfront. Overall, there are a lot of holiday goodies that you can amass through the accumulation of Snowflakes, including gear for Storm Legion level players. There are holiday mounts, seasonal costume pieces, pets, food, and Fae Yule decorations for your personal dimension (player housing).

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 has only teased the details of their holiday event - Wintersday: The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx. This event begins December 14th and lasts through January 3rd. The focus of this event is toys - those joyful contraptions that children scream for and parents get into knife-fights at ToysRUs.

Lion's Arch will serve as the hub for this event, with the asuran Toymaker Tixx in residence as the Wintersday guest of honor. Before he arrives in Lion's Arch, Tixx will appear in every major city in Tyria to deliver toys and holiday cheer, flying around in his huge airship toy workshop..

The Secret World

The Secret World is having an event for the season, but it doesn't have to do with Christmas. This ARG (alternate reality game) seems to deal with the Mayan doomsday prophecy rapidly approaching. You don't have to play The Secret World to take part in this ARG, but you can earn prizes that can be used in-game such as an exclusive monk outfit, xp potion, special items that players will receive when Issue #6 launches, and an invitation to an online end of days celebration with members of The Secret World development team. You can sign up here to partake of this event. Even if you're not interested in playing, you can listen to the insanely creepy voice talking on the site and feel your sanity slip away watching the light bulb swinging back and forth, getting dimmer and dimmer....

Edited by Shavlik

BW gave us fireworks and the opportunity to purchase items from the Cartel Network. Lets compare them to some of the other more active games at the moment. The below is just a copy and paste from ten ton hammer. I'm sure Sony is pulling out all the stops for their EQ2, Legends of Norrath, free Realms, Pirates of the Burning Sea etc. like they normally do. NCSoft has some nice Holiday stuff going on too! Pretty much everyone who is anyone in the MMO world has something going on.

MMO Holiday Event Guide

https://www.tentonhammer.com/previews/mmo-holiday-event-guide-2012-part-one

Star Trek Online

Q's Winter Wonderland returns to Star Trek Online from December 6th to January 14th. Yes, you too can enjoy holiday magic with that insanely annoying (but incredibly powerful) and pompous entity. To begin your trek to Q's Winter Wonderland, speak to Q at Qo'noS or Earth Spacedock and you'll be transported.

You can fend off the freezing attack of animated snowmen by pelting them with snowballs, and you can earn rewards for joining in the snowball fight, which you can turn in for various rewards such as new costumes. Players can face off against each other in the Fast and the Flurrious race. Practice your skating moves on the frozen lake or snuggle together in the gazebo. If you're lonely, you can earn a snowman pet or a winter tribble. It's only logical that you partake of Q's Winter Wonderland.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - I always liked Vanguards In-Game Events

Vanguard brings back the Festival of Gloriann this holiday season and begins December 15th. Players can loot Shards of Gloriann from defeated enemies. These shards can then be turned in to the Avatars of Gloriann that have appeared in Tanvu, New Targonor, and Khal for festive rewards. Gathering in the avatars' locations are a number of pilgrims, and players can speak to these pilgrims to learn the lore behind the festival. However, all isn't peaches and cream in the world as Finch and Ghalnn are stirring up trouble by creating three monsters. Heroes can defend the good people of Telon by slaying these monsters and recovering the stolen presents.

EVE Online

Celebrating the holidays takes a different turn in EVE Online. The good folks at CCP are having a dev incursion, where the devs, with their mighty fleet, will reign destruction down upon any who dare to oppose them. The joy for players is that you actually have the chance to shoot a dev down and score yourself some massive bragging rights!

These incursions will begin when players hear reports of a massive CCP fleet gathering in Polaris. These announcements will be broadcast through news channels, social media, and the in-game events forum. The dev fleet will then depart Polaris and appear in a selected system in New Eden, where they will mercilessly destroy everyone and everything. Damages from past dev incursions have hit billions in ISK damages. If you can't make the event, you can tune it to Own3d.tv and watch it live.

RIFT

Be you Defiant or Guardian, it's that special time in RIFT. Beginning on December 12th, the seasonal Fae Yule world event launches in Update 2.1: Endless Eclipse. The action focuses on the capital cities of Sanctum and Meridian, where Grandfather Frost offers quests and dailies, including snowball fights. If you want to get into the holiday action quickly, there are holiday-themed instant adventures. You can also take a portal to Iron Pike Peak where you can undertake sledding adventures, choosing to destroy snowmen as you fly down the mountain on a shield or you can opt to try your hand at going through banner checkpoints.

If you're in the mood for PvP, there is a holiday-themed Whitefall warfront. Overall, there are a lot of holiday goodies that you can amass through the accumulation of Snowflakes, including gear for Storm Legion level players. There are holiday mounts, seasonal costume pieces, pets, food, and Fae Yule decorations for your personal dimension (player housing).

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 has only teased the details of their holiday event - Wintersday: The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx. This event begins December 14th and lasts through January 3rd. The focus of this event is toys - those joyful contraptions that children scream for and parents get into knife-fights at ToysRUs.

Lion's Arch will serve as the hub for this event, with the asuran Toymaker Tixx in residence as the Wintersday guest of honor. Before he arrives in Lion's Arch, Tixx will appear in every major city in Tyria to deliver toys and holiday cheer, flying around in his huge airship toy workshop..

The Secret World

The Secret World is having an event for the season, but it doesn't have to do with Christmas. This ARG (alternate reality game) seems to deal with the Mayan doomsday prophecy rapidly approaching. You don't have to play The Secret World to take part in this ARG, but you can earn prizes that can be used in-game such as an exclusive monk outfit, xp potion, special items that players will receive when Issue #6 launches, and an invitation to an online end of days celebration with members of The Secret World development team. You can sign up here to partake of this event. Even if you're not interested in playing, you can listen to the insanely creepy voice talking on the site and feel your sanity slip away watching the light bulb swinging back and forth, getting dimmer and dimmer....

Maybe bioware wants screenshots from some of THESE events? Is that what they are asking for?

Edited by AllisonBerryman

Welcome to the world of vocal minorities :p. It doesn't really matter what BioWare is going to do, there's always going to be another small group of people who's going to complain about it for days on these forums ;).

Yup it's probably a minority that wants player generated content, it's a massive majority that thinks 25 fireworks is bit poor for a 1 year anniversay present/celebration though. :(

This list, even without WoW's extensive holiday events, is pretty indicative of the norm for MMOs. And if you'll notice, a couple of these aren't even overtly Christmas. They're events though, real events, that everyone in the game can participate in. Poor showing, BW, poor showing.

Ya I've subscribed for a year and you want me to pay for celabratory type items, whoever came up with that idiotic idea should not be in charge of whatever he's in charge of in 2013 I'll tell ya that.

Could have at least thrown up some lights on fleets and capitol worlds then maybe it wouldn't be so in your face insulting to subscribers.

Edited by United_Strafes

Maybe bioware wants screenshots from some of THESE events? Is that what they are asking for?

And most of the events on that list are with F2P games which didnt have a HUGE developement budget, But still put out a much better event (Even 1st time event for GW2) than BW's Bugfest.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

This ^

I logged onto GW2 this weekend. Now that's an event! I invite the development team to check out the work the guys at ArenaNet did.

Tbh I think theyre actually playing there and enjoying it, thats why this game is so abandoned. They thrown 25 fireworks and called it 'event' lol. It actually feels like from time to time 'someone' is forced to check on this game and see if it still moves.

It shows how much love the developers have for their own game, lmao.. actually its not even funny, its very very sad.

Yea you pathetic fanboy vocal minorities really need to stop complaining for days on end about the real issues Biodrone.

In anticipation of the 1st Anniversary for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ on December 20th, we’ve gifted all members of our community with a valid Star Wars: The Old Republic account as of December 10th, 11:59PM CST, 25 complimentary stacks of faction-based fireworks! Thank you for your support this year!

Send Us Your 1st Anniversary In-Game Celebration Screenshots!

Between now and January 2, 11:59PM CST, send us screenshots of your best 1st Anniversary celebration moments for a chance to be featured on The Old Republic™ official website and Facebook page.

Read More

What are we celebrating exactly? The fact that we're getting no event? The fact that we're getting no in-game reward for Xmas? The fact that we're getting a stack of 25 unimpressive fireworks (let's be clear, they look cool, but 1 use is way too short)?

Not sure what you guys at BW are excited about...