life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

No, I'm pretty sure it's new Cartel Packs. :)

However Makeb is going to be charged for on top of a subscription as well, and making the new space missions P2W is pretty much the same thing.

Charge us for a new planet? on top of sub? what the hell

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question: weren't those events in already before LOTRO went F2P? I honestly don't know because I didn't play it.

Because that would explain at least half the reason not to make them cost money in LOTRO.. as they were already paid by earlier subscriptions. As well as not wanting to make people pay more for what they once got as part of their subscription in that very game.

Just curious really.. Because if that's the case.. comparing LOTRO events to TOR events is, quite literally, apples to bantha steaks.

Form LOTROs website:

"Celebrate Five Years in Middle-earth!

Experience a party such as Middle-earth has never seen during LOTRO’s fifth anniversary celebration! Join the fun with new gifts for all players, new festival events and prizes, and a chance to win a trip to the Turbine Studios with a new contest that lets you show off your love for LOTRO.

Log in during the Anniversary Festival from April 16th to May 9th to receive your Anniversary Gift, a special thank you for joining us on our journey over the last five years. Our Premium and VIP players may also be eligible for additional gifts including new character portrait frames, cosmetics, and a mount. Visit the Anniversary Gifts page to learn more!

The Anniversary Festival returns on April 16th with new events and new rewards! Set off colourful fireworks throughout the Shire and Bree-land and deliver gifts to the residents of Middle-earth. Plus, grab your club and join the updated Battle for Glorious Beer in Thorin’s Ale Hall!

Are you the One LOTRO Fan to Rule Them all? Prove it in our Who is the Biggest LOTRO Fan Video Contest! You can win a trip to the Turbine studios or other great prizes by getting creative and showing your love for LOTRO. Head to the contest page for all the details to get started today!"

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/1896-lotro-5th-anniversary-hub

And SWTORs premium members and paying customers may buy cartel packs lol

LOL... Now this I can agree with whole heartedly. And honestly, I'm not expecting anything when it gets closer to Life Day, but I will argue that until that day comes, we have no clue what could be so there's really a whole lot of outrage over unknowns. This has been my whole point. And my only point. (Granted there was my argument earlier with another member when bugs were somehow brought into this thread, which isn't about bugs, but that's a whole different story.)

The items are pretty poor, and the mount especially is even more thinly veiled "Christmas" than the rest of Life Day, literally they couldn't have made that any more Christmas cheese except by having Rudolph pull it. :eek:

"So let me get this right, you want my sub + more money"

Just one example: When Turbine laid out its plans to add f2p and item shop to LOTRO, they did it planning on subscribers paying 75% more than with the then-existing subscriber option. [source: Game Developer's Conference presentation by Turbine] This is a nice fact to point out to those who insist a game going to f2p won't change anything for subscribers. Of course, this isn't announced in a company's marketing.

So to answer your question: Yes - as every other game with a sub and item shop is set up to do.

I wanted the Fleet to be filled with wookies regaling us with tales of Kashyyyk and maybe some heroic missions that would take us all over the galaxy fighting off hordes of Trandoshans or something. This is so disappointing... :(

I feel my enthusiasm for this game waning. It's just not what I wanted it to be.

Edited by JamesDisaster

In most MMOs I'd gladly pay not to have those damn holidays. I hate seeing all the christmas trees in worlds where such festivity is strange thing. And I'm glad they put high prices on Life Day items, because there would be less of that nonsence around.

You yell at kids to get off your lawn, don't you? ;)

I do not participate in the silly on rails space game so it doesn't affect me at all. I will patiently await the much anticipated SSSP that will be announced sometime in the near future.

^^^this!

Seriously, who gives a rat's *** about the lame space missions? If fools want to drop real money on this...so what?

They might be or they might not be, depending on who you ask.

The point is, no one's making you buy them. You will gain nothing by having the Life Day Robes. It's just some ( really ugly, if you ask me) gear that you can buy IF you want to just make your toon look different - that's all.

Except in every other MMORPG competitor you'd get such items free as part of a holiday event.

In SWTOR you get charged 4 months worth of subscriber coins per character for the "privilege" instead.

As I said you might be fine with that, but others are not. :mad:

^^^this!

Seriously, who gives a rat's *** about the lame space missions? If fools want to drop real money on this...so what?

Very few people give a rats anything about things they don't like.

However when it eventually comes to something they do like, suddenly they do.

There's a very famous poem about this very thing. :csw_yoda:

Form LOTROs website:

"Celebrate Five Years in Middle-earth!

This is a one time 5 year anniversary event.

I am thinking more along the lines of their yearly holiday events with my question. As people were claiming those were a lot better than what we get with TOR so far. My question really was: If those yearly events occured before F2P, why can we compare them to new yearly events in TOR post F2P?

Though I see the point of this being a new event post F2P for LOTRO and might be comparable.. The First Wookie Life Day of SWTOR is not a milestone comparable to a 5 year anniversary. Though it is proof in one direction, it is not defenitive proof. Thank you for the info though!

Pretty sure the space armor and such is available for comms. So much for P2W. Next whine!

P2W is about being able to circumvent the game or part of the gameplay by spending real life cash instead.

What part of Pay to Win do you not understand? :confused:

Just Curious does anybody know of any other MMO on the market that sells all festival/event items in a store and has no event at all??
Just curious, do you know for fact there will be no event at all before Life Day comes and goes?? I've known other MMOs to reserve events for a few days to the week of the holiday. There's no rule the event has to run all month long.

EDIT: Also you will have to more specifically define MMO, as I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain League of Legends does/will in fact require purchasing any holiday skins for champions in their store.

Edited by Nythain

In most MMOs I'd gladly pay not to have those damn holidays. I hate seeing all the christmas trees in worlds where such festivity is strange thing. And I'm glad they put high prices on Life Day items, because there would be less of that nonsence around.

Well that's certainly A point of view. :)

However you're bound to see a LOT of this stuff around, the mounts especially are very noticable.

Ok, so I understand trying to make money off your game, that's completely justified for how much time, effort, and money went into it. I also understand that you are people who have lives outside of working on this game. I would also like to point out that while there are of course things I would have liked done differently, I really do enjoy this game, It makes my inner Nerd happy. However, there's a line between whats ok to do and when you really start ticking off people like your subs. I fear you may have crossed that line this time.

I, like many others, was very anxious to see what this patch would bring. After seeing it, i'm rather upset and here's why:

1. You give us an event, which is totally something the community will get excited about in any game! New items, new quests, new places, new enemies, all the good stuff! However, when you say event apparently you mean sale. The two things are not interchangable. Putting new things in you Cash shop is NOT and event. It is something that yes, because of other F2P games we kinda expect with new updates, both because its a nice little something for us to look at and because you'll want to make money off it. Fine. No new quests (for the "event"), no special enemies or locations, and all the items you released FOR Life Day are reskins of current items, which if you look through your forums you'll see is not something most people want.

2. Heroic Space Missions. These may be amazing, but I don't know. The reason I don't know? Because they aren't realistically meant to be completed with anything less than the grade 7 ship parts. That's fine, you can't complete HM Ops without having gotten gear from The HM FPs, so we can cope with there being gear progression for Space too. Yet its hardly fair to say "look, fresh space missions, yay!" and then force us to either spend... what, 2ish weeks grinding JUST to be able to TRY them! Why could they have been something that was challenging with tier 6 and rather hard with tier 5? You know, things we already HAD with these missions giving us the tier 7 upgrades as a goal to work towards, maybe with one or two tier 7 or your boned missions thrown in so we could really use the tier 7s.

For reference, 2 weeks is assuming you have the time to run all the previous space missions and all the daily missions each day so you can get the required 1500 fleet and 300 daily Comms to get the grade 7 pieces, not counting what you'd pay in Credits to get the 3 crafted pieces and the Power Module ($300,000 from the vendor). Sidenote, if you'd like to craft them yourself you'll need and extra 1400 Fleet and 200 daily Comms to buy the schematics. But Wait! You knew we wouldn't want to waste that much time so you kindly added them to the Cartel Shop so I can pay real money instead!? Aww, thanks guys, how very considerate and not-at-all transparent of you!

3. Game Crash. A serious issue, thankfully one you seem to be working to get rid of. However, I can't help thinking that it would have been a wiser move to have more people worrying about making sure the game doesn't crash randomly than scripting in fireworks...

4. The anniversary fun is.... Fireworks? Really? Not to sound completely ungrateful but.... well, really? Couldn't have done a title? Non-consumable? Pet? Event? Almost anything less generic than fireworks that don't even stick around?

5. Dual Spec. We keep telling you we'd like it, the closest we currently have is being a sub, buying field respec, carrying around the extra set of gear (atleast if you're like me and tend to run dailys while waiting for a Q to pop), and resetting your bars each time you switch. Still no real word on what you're planning along these lines yet.

Again, I really do like this game and I want it to succeed, its a very refreshing change from all the fantasy-style MMOs and the personal stories are a nice way to make repeating the same planets much more bearable than in most other Games. But, if this keeps being the quality of the updates, I fear we're very quickly going to have very few subs left. Thanks, Shado.

I'm home with a cold, my friends are going out to the movies. I'm spending a few creds on a pack for fun, that and a cup of tea with honey is my little extra thing today.

Lo behold, got a cute remote controlled spaceship and Revans robes. Nothing that I needed to survive, but it was a fun little addition. Would have gone to the movies if I could, but this was some frivolous fun that could be done from home. With my cup of tea and honey.

I wanted the Fleet to be filled with wookies regaling us with tales of Kashyyyk and maybe some heroic missions that would take us all over the galaxy fighting off hordes of Trandoshans or something. This is so disappointing... :(

I feel my enthusiasm for this game waning. It's just not what I wanted it to be.

I suppose it is possible they have an event, although looking at the Cartel pack I can't really see what else they have for an event items-wise.

I suspect it's not going to be the case though.