A helpful warning about Cartel Shop armor

Lionflash

Long story short...

I heard somewhere on the forums from another player that you could simply rip out the mods from Cartel Shop armor and then equip the shells from level 1. This was exciting news for me because I had been waiting to make an Inquisitor and a Consular so that I could level them with some pants and better Force-user robes.

Unfortunately, I proved the above false the hard way. The level restriction was on the shell itself. I think the lowest armor set has a level restriction of around level 32, and even some of the armors that I wanted were at level 43, why would I spend money on gear I will only wear for 7 levels? (Obviously at level 50 I'm going to be sporting my PVP or PVE gear).

This isn't really a complaint, just a friendly warning for anyone who had similar ideas. A warning I wish I had before I bought the items.

Off topic ~

Anybody buy that orange or black 'Plilot Suit' outfit and wear it on their Bounty Hunter? Does the fire jets from some of the BH's abilities come out of the jet pack on the chests's back or did the developers just get lazy and make it come out of the boots?

The rockets on the back are in a unique spot compared to most of the BH gear, that's why I wasn't sure.

I think the lowest armor set has a level restriction of around level 32, and even some of the armors that I wanted were at level 43, why would I spend money on gear I will only wear for 7 levels? (Obviously at level 50 I'm going to be sporting my PVP or PVE gear).

In cased it escaped your attention somehow, the Cartel Shop armor is offered for cosmetic reasons. If you're buying it for free gear and mods you're wasting money and I'm sure a lot of charities would like a word with you.

And as a side note, you can tear mods out of most, if not all, of the new PvP and PvE gear and put it in said Cartel Shop cosmetic gear. If the gear you really want endgame for looks is something not in the Cartel Shop, don't buy it.

And next time, don't waste money on someone else's say-so. Spend a little bit, buy one item from the GTN and test it out first. DerpDerp

Long story short...

I heard somewhere on the forums from another player that you could simply rip out the mods from Cartel Shop armor and then equip the shells from level 1. This was exciting news for me because I had been waiting to make an Inquisitor and a Consular so that I could level them with some pants and better Force-user robes.

Unfortunately, I proved the above false the hard way. The level restriction was on the shell itself. I think the lowest armor set has a level restriction of around level 32, and even some of the armors that I wanted were at level 43, why would I spend money on gear I will only wear for 7 levels? (Obviously at level 50 I'm going to be sporting my PVP or PVE gear).

This isn't really a complaint, just a friendly warning for anyone who had similar ideas. A warning I wish I had before I bought the items.

Off topic ~

Anybody buy that orange or black 'Plilot Suit' outfit and wear it on their Bounty Hunter? Does the fire jets from some of the BH's abilities come out of the jet pack on the chests's back or did the developers just get lazy and make it come out of the boots?

The rockets on the back are in a unique spot compared to most of the BH gear, that's why I wasn't sure.

No offence...but there are details on the armors.....

No offence...but there are details on the armors.....

If you asked me a few weeks ago I would have told you the same, but I wasn't sure. A lot of armor is restricted by the mods in it. Pull them out and you can wear it.

In cased it escaped your attention somehow, the Cartel Shop armor is offered for cosmetic reasons. If you're buying it for free gear and mods you're wasting money and I'm sure a lot of charities would like a word with you.

And as a side note, you can tear mods out of most, if not all, of the new PvP and PvE gear and put it in said Cartel Shop cosmetic gear. If the gear you really want endgame for looks is something not in the Cartel Shop, don't buy it.

And next time, don't waste money on someone else's say-so. Spend a little bit, buy one item from the GTN and test it out first. DerpDerp

I don't really want the gear for endgame. I want it during levelling, I want to see it during the cutscenes and enjoy them during the funnest part of this game IMHO.

As for the GTN thing, I'm one of those players who has maybe peaked at most 75 k credits. I've never even had 500 k accross all my 6 characters, I don't play the crafting game or any other credit making schemes. So I don't have the credits to waste on trial runs, like I said, I heard from another player that I could just rip out the mods (live and learn).

I had 3000 CC from my subscriber bonus and monthly, I spent 350 or how ever much it was on the level 43 armor and now I need to wait a long time to wear it, not sure what you meant about charities and I don't think I need your opinion on what I should and shouldn't spend my free CC on. #Derp.

Er..... he wasn't he was wanting to wear it "underlevel" with level appropiate mods.

It isn't exactly a huge leap of logic that you could do that as you can equip the mod-less Cartel weapons from L1.

.... I had been waiting to make .. a Consular ..

(Obviously at level 50 I'm going to be sporting my PVP or PVE gear).

Just to let you know .... Consular lvl 50 PvP/PvE gear is the ugliest gear in a game that ran face first into a wall made of ugly gear.

You will weep tears of thanks that the Cartel market now gives you the option to do away with it altogether. Trust me.

Still, don't see the rationale for not making ALL cartel armors adaptive and level 1 empty shells. F2P brought in loads of new players who will all be starting from scratch. Giving them something they can buy NOW or any time they want seems like a better deal than saying, "No sorry, we don't want your money yet until you level up some more."

All that money left on the table just so they can sell the armor in out-of-the-box usable condition? It's not like filling the gear with level-appropriate mods of your own is hard to do.

Still, don't see the rationale for not making ALL cartel armors adaptive and level 1 empty shells. F2P brought in loads of new players who will all be starting from scratch. Giving them something they can buy NOW or any time they want seems like a better deal than saying, "No sorry, we don't want your money yet until you level up some more."

All that money left on the table just so they can sell the armor in out-of-the-box usable condition? It's not like filling the gear with level-appropriate mods of your own is hard to do.

Agree. Reason: Role Players (Costumes).

/thread. :cool:

Edited by Urael

They are being consistent with their own game mechanics, so it really should not surprise anyone. Modable gear that drops in game has the exact same restrictions. Pulling the mods DOES NOT lower the equipable level for the empty shell. Never has, since launch.

And while they do have some market items that are level 1 equipable, the fact is modable gear below level 10 is not supported by the game mechanics at this time because there are no level 1 mods (craftable or otherwise). And it would be silly to put any effort into implementating them since most players are level 10 within 2 hours.

I do see some RP merit in putting more modable gear into the game that is level 10 equipable, but again.. your time from level 10 to 15 (where market chest pieces enter the game) is pretty brief.

Just to let you know .... Consular lvl 50 PvP/PvE gear is the ugliest gear in a game that ran face first into a wall made of ugly gear.

You will weep tears of thanks that the Cartel market now gives you the option to do away with it altogether. Trust me.

Quoted For Blinding Truth

If they were to do something here, it would be this IMO...strip the level requirement from the gear itself. The mods inside it will already give it a level requirement if I am not mistaken.

The absolute best way to handle the entire situation, IMO of course, is as follows:

1) Strip mods out of all Cartel Shop armors, set them at level 1.

2) Sell mod packs advertised by their primary attribute and level. Inside the mod pack you would have an entire set of mods that would have normally been in the armor.

3) Drop the prices of all of the armor dramatically...

Offer helmets of different types for 200 coins each

Offer chest pieces of different types for 300 each

Offer complete armor sets for 700 each

4) Offer the mod sets for 500 each

By doing it this way folks can buy the cosmetic look they want without the mods, and buy the mods separately if they desire at the appropriate level.

They can offer mod sets with each primary attribute, for levels 10, 32 and 43.

Edited by LordArtemis

They are being consistent with their own game mechanics, so it really should not surprise anyone. Modable gear that drops in game has the exact same restrictions. Pulling the mods DOES NOT lower the equipable level for the empty shell. Never has, since launch.

And while they do have some market items that are level 1 equipable, the fact is modable gear below level 10 is not supported by the game mechanics at this time because there are no level 1 mods (craftable or otherwise). And it would be silly to put any effort into implementating them since most players are level 10 within 2 hours.

I do see some RP merit in putting more modable gear into the game that is level 10 equipable, but again.. your time from level 10 to 15 (where market chest pieces enter the game) is pretty brief.

It seems a strange choice though, maybe there is some technical issue with the gear, because from a maxium number of sales point of view a L10 say shell (or L1 like the weapons) with Lwhatever mods would be bought and used by many more people and functionally would be no different to now, only when you took the mods out it could be remodded for lower levels.

If they were to do something here, it would be this IMO...strip the level requirement from the gear itself. The mods inside it will already give it a level requirement if I am not mistaken.

The absolute best way to handle the entire situation, IMO of course, is as follows:

2) Sell mod packs advertised by their primary attribute and level. Inside the mod pack you would have an entire set of mods that would have normally been in the armor.

By doing it this way folks can buy the cosmetic look they want without the mods, and buy the mods separately if they desire at the appropriate level.

No to selling "mod packs" this way is the path to pay to win. :p

Long story short...

Off topic ~

The level requirement is listed on the armor before you buy it. I don't think any preslotted armor in the game can be changed to a lower requirement by removing the uncluded mods. Also, there's a reason that all end game gear has the stats on the mods and not the shell itself (well anything campaign+, and war hero+). That allows you to use any look you choose (including cash shop armor) while still having the stats of the endgame gear.

I would venture to guess that a large majority of the players purchasing cartel gear is for their characters that are already 50.

It's true, I've seen it with my own eyes! Even most of the Consular leveling gear looks terrible.

I agree fully. I role-play like mad with my toons, this would make all those new players willing to buy it. I also agree with the consular gear. just terrible looking stuff. more suited for Wow then TOR.

Er..... he wasn't he was wanting to wear it "underlevel" with level appropiate mods.

It isn't exactly a huge leap of logic that you could do that as you can equip the mod-less Cartel weapons from L1.

Except the Cartel weapons are listed on the GTN as being level 1 and come with no mods (maybe a crystal). Armor, however, is on the GTN as the listed level. On top of this, he could have asked general chat or purchased a cheapo Cartel armor piece from the GTN (certain helmets are dirt cheap) and tried it out.

A guy bought the Brooklyn Bridge once because he didn't do any research either.

Any slotable armor that has ever had pre-slotted items in it has always had a level requirement. And none of them have ever had that requirement go "poof" once the mods were removed.

I don't know what made you think these were any different. Sorry you wasted your $$$. :o

Any slotable armor that has ever had pre-slotted items in it has always had a level requirement. And none of them have ever had that requirement go "poof" once the mods were removed.

I don't know what made you think these were any different. Sorry you wasted your $$$. :o

Well like I said I heard somewhere on the forums that I could, and of course that is probably the lowest of the low in terms of information validity. It was actually from a topic of someone who was complaining that they had to wait to long for them to get to the level that their gear is.

Anyway, what the thread really is about, or has evolved into, is that like someone said; I see no reason why shells should be level restricted. It isn't game breaking at all to wear a shell with the mods ripped out of it and then you can only throw in level appropriate mods.

Well like I said I heard somewhere on the forums that I could, and of course that is probably the lowest of the low in terms of information validity. It was actually from a topic of someone who was complaining that they had to wait to long for them to get to the level that their gear is.

Anyway, what the thread really is about, or has evolved into, is that like someone said; I see no reason why shells should be level restricted. It isn't game breaking at all to wear a shell with the mods ripped out of it and then you can only throw in level appropriate mods.

I am actually quite surprised it isn't like this, and I'm struggling to think of a reason why it's not.

Certainly Bioware can't be against cartel stuff from L1 in principle, as you can equip weapons like that. :confused: