Urgent SWTOR Issue

Nighthawked

So I upgraded my graphics card from an ATI Radeon HD 5870 to a EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW card.

I have tested many games and they all seem to work fine, except SWTOR.

Whenever I want to create a new character, I get about 2 seconds, then my screen keeps flickering. My system becomes so slow even after closing SWTOR. I need to reboot to fix it.

I thought this was an issue with the character creation screen, but when I logged in with an existing character, the same thing happened when I walked out of the building.

Can anybody successfully play this on a GTX 670?

I am currently redownloading the game, do you think that will help?

This should go in the Support section but I'm playing on a 670 with no issues.

Sorry.

Does this game create card specific settings? I remember people mentioning deleting a config file for graphics changes. Would that cause an issue going from ATI to NVIDIA?

Sorry.

Does this game create card specific settings? I remember people mentioning deleting a config file for graphics changes. Would that cause an issue going from ATI to NVIDIA?

It's possible. Did you also make sure to wipe all your ATI drivers?

Look in C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings and just rename your client_settings.ini to client_settings.ini.old. It'll make a new one.

Yeah I deleted all ATI drivers and files.

Do you know what would cause it to make my computer so slow, it needed a restart in order to fix it? Task manager said nothing was running. It was so slow, I would press the windows key and it would take 15 seconds before the start menu appeared. I would click on shut down, and it took 20 seconds for the click to register.

So I upgraded my graphics card from an ATI Radeon HD 5870 to a EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW card.

I have tested many games and they all seem to work fine, except SWTOR.

Whenever I want to create a new character, I get about 2 seconds, then my screen keeps flickering. My system becomes so slow even after closing SWTOR. I need to reboot to fix it.

I thought this was an issue with the character creation screen, but when I logged in with an existing character, the same thing happened when I walked out of the building.

Can anybody successfully play this on a GTX 670?

I am currently redownloading the game, do you think that will help?

Welcome to SWTOR. Hopefully you get a response from customer service. However, I think you are about to find another issue when trying to deal with those folks.

Again, welcome to the game.

Are you absolutely sure you have the correct drivers for your new card installed?

I am asking because last time I got a new machine it didn't ship with current drivers and I had behavior like that from a couple of games. Upgraded the drivers and all was fine.

Yes. I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from their website.

306.97 - it reports GTX 670.

I just installed Borderlands 2 and it does the same thing even during the opening video.

I would probably post in customer service forum here and for boarderlands(if there is one).

I do know there was a time with ATI drivers where to game you had to revert to an older driver for it to work. Maybe something similar is happening but I just don't know enough about NVidias current drivers to even hazard a guess.

What card did you upgrade from? Are you sure your current power supply can handle your 670?

This doesn't sound like a SWTOR issue, it's a general computer issue. Things taking a long time to happen with your OS could indicate that a hard drive is failing.

Edited by DaRoamer

What card did you upgrade from? Are you sure your current power supply can handle your 670?

This doesn't sound like a SWTOR issue, it's a general computer issue. Things taking a long time to happen with your OS could indicate that a hard drive is failing.

Yes I have 1,000 Watt PSU.

I ran some more demanding games as tests like Crysis and Dead Island. Those games do this too. I deleted all drivers and installed new ones several times. Do you have any advice as to what is wrong?