Companions are doom of this game

RixoFutu

Do you ever wonder why so many people complaining that SWTOR is single-player game? Or at least not MMORPG at all? I can tell you why - because of companions! Yeah, that's it! You don't need buddies to level up. You don't need budies to do major part of the game. At all. Companions can do the same. You can have whatever role you want to help you make it through without any contact with other players. Crazy opinion?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you ever wonder why so many people complaining that SWTOR is single-player game? Or at least not MMORPG at all? I can tell you why - because of companions! Yeah, that's it! You don't need buddies to level up. You don't need budies to do major part of the game. At all. Companions can do the same. You can have whatever role you want to help you make it through without any contact with other players. Crazy opinion?

Companions are there to add flexibility for you to play the way how you want the game. Also, there are ppl that dont want to spoil for themselves other classes stories, so they'd rather not help anybody doing their class quests.

Take away companions and folk will ask for content nerfs because they can't do class story quests.

Content WILL be nerfed because that's just how it goes and you still won't need a group.

Regardless of this being a multiplayer game, some people don't like grouping. I know, i'm one of them. I group with my wife when she decides to play but that is all.

I group for content I need to be grouped for (raids and PvP) but like to quest on my own at my own pace.

Yes, it's a crazy opinion. They still require you to get someone else's help for heroics, because they don't allow multiple companions. Of course because of that you can't get companion banter and you never feel like an actual group. I don't think I've ever heard my companions talk to eachother.

The whole content have been designed to be run with a companion. It's like complaining skill tree and lack of auto attack are ruining the game.

If you want to play with your buddy, remove your companion, or keep it AND play with your buddy. Guess what, that's what I did to play with a friend ! Suddenly I feel like Captain Obvious, but it seems you failed to see it.

Oh, and since it's a doom post : 21/12/12 we are all gonna die !!!

Companions, huh? Let me know how working with only companions treats you on the Heroic-4 on Section-X. Please tell me how well that goes. The problem isn't compaions--it's the community. People treat this as a solo-game. If the content was so difficult you had to group, then they would be forced to do so... and that's not the case. That would probably help with the "but dizz plaehz lyk a single playurr gaem, naught an moar-puh-guh!"--argument.

Companions, huh? Let me know how working with only companions treats you on the Heroic-4 on Section-X. Please tell me how well that goes. The problem isn't compaions--it's the community. People treat this as a solo-game. If the content was so difficult you had to group, then they would be forced to do so... and that's not the case. That would probably help with the "but dizz plaehz lyk a single playurr gaem, naught an moar-puh-guh!"--argument.

If that were the case you'd notice all the soloers leaving the game. I know I wouldn't stick around if I were forced to group. Grouping with friends is one thing, but being forced to group for every single thing would be more hassle than it's worth. The stories aren't worth that. Hell they're not even as good as the other Bioware classics.

Other companies should follow suit. They should also take away hunter, warlock, or summoner pets while they're at it, in every other successful MMO, because that's exactly what companions are. Basically, in SWTOR, every class is a pet class, but they've had pet classes in MMO's at least since '99 with EQ, and I believe even earlier than that with UO. It's a staple in the genre, and games are balanced around this particular mechanic.

Now, if you mean there should be forced grouping throughout the entire leveling process, that's different. EQ had that, despite the fact that there were "pet" classes in the game. The last MMO I know of that required groups was Final Fantasy XI. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the case. So, if you want a modern MMO with forced grouping, that might be more your speed.

The problem is, not everyone is really in the mood, or able to group at any given time. A lot of times, when I play, I only have maybe 30 minutes to an hour, or I might be multitasking and needing to go AFK a lot. Guild Wars 2 handles this issue quite elegantly with the content all being "public quest" style, so everyone's basically in one big group all the time. However, that game still feels a lot like a solo game, because people rarely communicate, and most "big group" content is pretty much a matter of throwing enough bodies at a boss until it goes down. Still not the social experience a lot of people are looking for.

The best thing this (or any) MMO could do to encourage and promote more social interaction would be to implement some matchmaking features based on social networking and psychological profiles, like a mixture of Facebook and eHarmony, helping you find people who you're most likely to get along well with, who have similar schedules and playstyles, and/or who are friends with your friends.

Companions aren't the issue.

Edited by Zanriel

If that were the case you'd notice all the soloers leaving the game. I know I wouldn't stick around if I were forced to group. Grouping with friends is one thing, but being forced to group for every single thing would be more hassle than it's worth. The stories aren't worth that. Hell they're not even as good as the other Bioware classics.

Let me guess, you want gear to be given to you, am I right? :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you want gear to be given to you, am I right? :rolleyes:

I don't give a **** about gear. The only gear I expect to be "given", and it's not actually given it's still earned through the class quests and heroics, is gear good enough to roll through the story quests. Apart from the minor aesthetics aspect to the gear, of which I find the gear I have already looks quite nice, gear doesn't matter to me. I'm in it for the story. It's the reason most people play RPGs. It would be a pain in the *** if I were forced to group up just to playthrough the story, and I might add that these stories aren't even as strong as the stories in other Bioware games. All the ******** MMO mechanics get in the way of having a proper story.

I'm not even a strict soloer. I play through Heroics and FP's with groups, but it's another thing entirelly to force people to group all the time. Personally I'd like it if I had the option to never have to group if I so chose.

You know, its funny... None of my friends that play WoW ever need anyone else to level up... Most of them solo all the way to max level...

But i guess WoW isnt an MMO.

I remember when i played SWG... i never buddied up with anyone when i was just leveling... sure i leveled up sometimes for fun, but never because i needed to.

I know people who have played tons of MMO's and they hardly ever need to team up with anyone when they are leveling.

But i guess you have another view of MMO's than i do...

Yes, it's a crazy opinion. They still require you to get someone else's help for heroics, because they don't allow multiple companions. Of course because of that you can't get companion banter and you never feel like an actual group. I don't think I've ever heard my companions talk to eachother.

Most "heroics" can be solo'd

I don't give a **** about gear. The only gear I expect to be "given", and it's not actually given it's still earned through the class quests and heroics, is gear good enough to roll through the story quests. Apart from the minor aesthetics aspect to the gear, of which I find the gear I have already looks quite nice, gear doesn't matter to me. I'm in it for the story. It's the reason most people play RPGs. It would be a pain in the *** if I were forced to group up just to playthrough the story, and I might add that these stories aren't even as strong as the stories in other Bioware games. All the ******** MMO mechanics get in the way of having a proper story.

I'm not even a strict soloer. I play through Heroics and FP's with groups, but it's another thing entirelly to force people to group all the time. Personally I'd like it if I had the option to never have to group if I so chose.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... easy there, Sparky. No need to become belligerent!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/Jamie-kun305/memegear.jpg

Whoa, whoa, whoa... easy there, Sparky. No need to become belligerent!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/Jamie-kun305/memegear.jpg

Way to sidestep the issue. If you're going to accost people for being angry at you perhaps you shouldn't start off a discussion with a thinly veiled insult.

Most "heroics" can be solo'd

Not Heroic 4's. You need at least one other person for that. While it's fine when I'm playing with a friend it's annoying when I'm playing solo. I need to try to find someone, which can take a varying amount of time.

Edited by Revanchis