Companions are doom of this game

RixoFutu

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by far one far most of the most foolish things. I have ever read. Companions add a unique style to the game. They help in combat but not as much as you think. Just enough to give you a better edge. People are not playing in groups not because of companions because they're is no big rewards.

For example. If there was a 25 increase when you joined a group on you're XP that it will go up in a flash point etc. Many people would join groups. They're is no reward and it's more fun to go at you're own pace then someone with completely different who likes to rush.

Finally. They had a sense you're not alone on your mission. You slowly recruit them up which is exciting. They provide valued entertainment and compelling emotions that make your class quest more exciting then solo. With each gift you give them in affection. They open up new things to talk about doing they're quests is content too.

I know. I enjoy it and finally they do the other stuff like crafting etc that we don't want to do. It's not fun to craft something 300 times over. Sending you're companion to do for you. Is a great a system.

Pierce and Quinn went at it on Taris. Also Jaesa and Vette went at it in a love triangle. There were more but that's all I can remember for now.

That's not very many. It happens like all the time in RPGs, especially Bioware RPGs. The crew should be having a big discussion at least at the end of every planet.

I don't think companions are the 'doom' of the game but I can understand why some don't like them.

I personally like them as I typically prefer leveling solo (I can quest at my own pace). If I want to do group stuff, there's plenty of other options (raids, WZs, daily HM FPs, etc.) and grouping for heroics while leveling.

The only thing i dont like about companions is that they are always around during boss fights.

My Inquisitor could be like "lets make this a fair fight....just man to man. You against Me to see who is the better fighter, dont worry about that giant nearly naked monster, he just like to watch."

Haha yeah.

I've actually dismissed companions during some of these fights just to make it more epic XD

Of course, I'm usually over-leveled by 3-4 levels so it's not so bad.

i can see wheré he´s coming from, but i dont agree. I would have liked only 3 companons with storylines and then a bit more story to them. Then add 2 companons you can pick up from asking any friendly npc´s to join your group.

I would love to have a unique companon, at least one that few people have.

The companons are not the thing that makes swtor feel more like a rpg than a mmorpg. It´s the storylines. I know many people like beeing the big hero of the rep/imp, but in a mmo where were all supposed to be fairly equal it just feels wrong imo.

Do you ever wonder why so many people complaining that SWTOR is single-player game? Or at least not MMORPG at all? I can tell you why - because of companions! Yeah, that's it! You don't need buddies to level up. You don't need budies to do major part of the game. At all. Companions can do the same. You can have whatever role you want to help you make it through without any contact with other players. Crazy opinion?

I've been saying the same thing since launch.

1) It's a ridiculous concept to transplant your single player game to an MMO environment, and then give you a companion to negate the fact that it's a mulitplayer game. A comparable scenario would be to spend a fortune porting a PC game to the Mac so that Mac owners could play it... and then requiring you to have a PC connected to your Mac to run it.

2) It destroys the dynamics of the standard RPG classes to provide companions that negate all inherent weaknesses of those classes. Not a terrible thing if your intent is to re-imagine the whole concept of traditional classes, but they didn't.

3) Yeah, it's a "unique" feature to the game. Sometimes when nobody has done something before, it's because that something is not a good idea.

i can see wheré he´s coming from, but i dont agree. I would have liked only 3 companons with storylines and then a bit more story to them. Then add 2 companons you can pick up from asking any friendly npc´s to join your group.

I would love to have a unique companon, at least one that few people have.

The companons are not the thing that makes swtor feel more like a rpg than a mmorpg. It´s the storylines. I know many people like beeing the big hero of the rep/imp, but in a mmo where were all supposed to be fairly equal it just feels wrong imo.

Do you really want a story where you're just some guy. That sounds like an awful game, where you're just Bob the Soldier.

This game never should have been an MMO in the first place. Bioware are clearly much better at making RPG's and maybe this game would've been a smashing success instead of a lackluster one.

Do you ever wonder why so many people complaining that SWTOR is single-player game? Or at least not MMORPG at all? I can tell you why - because of companions! Yeah, that's it! You don't need buddies to level up. You don't need budies to do major part of the game. At all. Companions can do the same. You can have whatever role you want to help you make it through without any contact with other players. Crazy opinion?

Just because you are not forced to interact with others doesn't mean it is not an MMO, way to be an extremist. Many factors like economy are global.

The winner of the MMO game will be the one who masters the 2 people 2 hours entertainment bite.

This is the entertainment market for working adults, billions strong. SWTOR has made good inroads into this market with its HEROIC 2s and companion supported couples in HEROIC/GROUP 4s. If they had not made all the other mistakes made they might have really gone somewhere.

In the grown up market people don't want to schedule entertainment time with 8-25 strangers.

2 people, 2 hours.

You get your presence high enough and you can solo just about everything. I've finished all 40 companion stories, so my presence is in the 730-750 range per level 50 toon. I never group with people unless it's warzones, flashpoints, or operations. I like taking my time, actually enjoying the stories and such without having to rush through everything because the person or persons I grouped up with is impatient.

Plus I love having my companion friend or companion spouse tagging along with me. I only group with two people most times, my good friend and my husband. Otherwise, this game would feel like Everquest and leveling there took forever because you couldn't solo anything at all and the experience was shared among 4 other people.

Bioware, don't listen to the naysayers, I say add MORE companions. I love them all!

I personally feel companions should be disabled on PvP servers at least, or at least stored/perma-stunned during PvP combat in open world. Companions are not balanced toward one another, and can drastically change combat when you throw legacy abilities into the mix.

Examples:

1. My Vanguard's healer uses heavy armor and can be supplied with hand-me-downs, but my Powertech's healer is medium armor that I have to go out of my way to purchase.

2. Legacy Orbital Strike -> Regular Orbital Strike -> Legacy Force Choke -> Dead Enemy. :p

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they allow me to solo content when very few people are online. But I also feel like they cheapen or de-emphasize the need for groups -- which can be detrimental to the MMO experience.

Then again, I have only experienced a few bad groups in my playtime for this game. So of course it can vary.

Just because you are not forced to interact with others doesn't mean it is not an MMO, way to be an extremist. Many factors like economy are global.

The winner of the MMO game will be the one who masters the 2 people 2 hours entertainment bite.

This is the entertainment market for working adults, billions strong. SWTOR has made good inroads into this market with its HEROIC 2s and companion supported couples in HEROIC/GROUP 4s. If they had not made all the other mistakes made they might have really gone somewhere.

In the grown up market people don't want to schedule entertainment time with 8-25 strangers.

2 people, 2 hours.

TOR never forces you to group for PvE. It's easily, hands-down, the MMO with the least amount of player interaction and player grouping I've ever played. Those two things are not coincidence.

There is no compelling reason to group for 95% of PvE content. There's no content at all for full groups that takes significantly more than 30 minutes to play through. This is their gaping hole in content. To survive as an MMO, a game must provide solo and duo content that meets your 2 people/2 hour (frankly, every MMO ever made meets this) but it also must provide group content for those 4+ hour sessions that is not repeating the same "Op or Flashpoint" mutiple times.

They've written off group players as only being interested in raiding and PvP. It's been my experience that raiding is a significant thing for a small minority of players and PvP is primarily an activity of the solo player.

I disagree. The Class stories and companions are the only thing this game has to set it apart from the pack.

People who want to group will regardless. People who don't won't. Try and force everyone to group or pvp or raid and the sub base lessens a great deal. That's the last thing Tor needs is less people playing and paying. imho

I disagree. The Class stories and companions are the only thing this game has to set it apart from the pack.

People who want to group will regardless. People who don't won't. Try and force everyone to group or pvp or raid and the sub base lessens a great deal. That's the last thing Tor needs is less people playing and paying. imho

This is the same argument that's been made for 15 years of MMO's.

Most all games that require or encourage grouping are still alive.

Most all games that are solo-centric are dead and forgotten.

EQ and UO will probably still be making money long after TOR is a memory.

Companions are one of my favorite parts of this game. The leveling content is designed with you having them in mind. If you don't use them it gets overwhelming fast. But in most cases you still need to group up to do heroic quests, especially the 4 person ones. At least this game still has group quests, WoW decided to get rid of the concept since Cataclysm.

This is the same argument that's been made for 15 years of MMO's.

Most all games that require or encourage grouping are still alive.

Most all games that are solo-centric are dead and forgotten.

EQ and UO will probably still be making money long after TOR is a memory.

When did WoW become group-oriented? Granted I've been unsubscribed for a bit over a year, but in all the years I played, it was very, very solo-friendly.

Personaly i like the idea that you dont have to play it as an mmo if you dont choose too. I like companions, and sometimes i just want to play thro the game on single player mode, and sometimes i want to group up and do a flashpoint or do pvp. Depends where the mood takes me.

I like the idea that swtor is a game and an mmo at the same time.

If you want to just grind to death with no story and just want a gear chase then go play WoW.

Do you really want a story where you're just some guy. That sounds like an awful game, where you're just Bob the Soldier.

This game never should have been an MMO in the first place. Bioware are clearly much better at making RPG's and maybe this game would've been a smashing success instead of a lackluster one.

wow seems to be dooing fairly well. Ok maybe not so much now as they were, but wow never had any class story. In classic you had a few classquests but since then the classquest idea was abandoned because of resources. Blizz said that some years ago, think it was in the tbc days. Classquests takes too many resources away from other content.

It seems they are right, thinking how much have been done to classquests in swtor and how many areas are a bit lacking. We all like to be heroes yes, but we dont like beeing clones. And in swtor i feel like a clone. Whenever i see another of my class with the same companon as me i feel like a clone.

In wow you could still be a hero even if there was no classquests. If one game can do it, it should be possible for other games too.

And dont tell me to go back to wow, i left about a year ago and i´ve got no intension to join pandaland. Imo it´s realy sad how low wow has sunken.

When did WoW become group-oriented? Granted I've been unsubscribed for a bit over a year, but in all the years I played, it was very, very solo-friendly.

Very good point. I agree. I could solo most everything in that game. And it wasn't the only MMO like that, just the biggest and *long lasting*.

wow seems to be dooing fairly well. Ok maybe not so much now as they were, but wow never had any class story. In classic you had a few classquests but since then the classquest idea was abandoned because of resources. Blizz said that some years ago, think it was in the tbc days. Classquests takes too many resources away from other content.

I thought the Paladin class quest was kind of epic. I was sad that they decided to remove the class quests altogether. They weren't a bad idea, but they weren't really well designed, so typically people would end up putting them off or abandoning them entirely because they didn't flow with your other quest progression well and required a lot of annoying resource gathering from different places. They just weren't fun enough, honestly. They were so minimal in design effort that I doubt it had anything to do with resources and more to do with people complaining that they wanted to move on and not have to go through the effort to gain access to certain abilities, mounts, etc..

On the other hand, it seems that they're re-introducing class quests in some ways, with legendaries and what not. I really enjoyed the rogue quest to get the legendary daggers and I noticed Monks get to go to special places and learn how to use their abilities, kind of like how Death Knights do. Death Knight is definitely an example of WoW having an epic class quest, if you think about it.

Last nights debacle shows how reliant we are on Companions in solo PvE. Hardly the Heroic feeling Failware promised at launch!

It feels much more heroic to me. I used to fight against one mob with 5 other people in my group when I played EverQuest. Now, I fight 3-5 at a time with a companion.

I still like grouping for heroics and flashpoints, but it is nice to be able to play without needing a group. Back in my EQ days, as a tank, I could count on a 2 hour wait for a group in Old Sebilis. I would get on the waiting list for every camp. 2 hours! Now, I just go and fight. I don't have the will to wait like I did back in the day.

Companions aren't there to make the game easier. The difficulty, and the lack of a need to group on most content, would not change without companions because they would have balanced the game differently.

Exactly, lol.