Welcome to the FB/smartphone era

JimboJankins

I've done a lot of reading on everyone's thoughts on F2P. While I agree with the restrictions some are weird but implemented. Games in general regardless of being an MMO or not have been faced with a lot of new issues over the last few years thanks to things like Facebook and smartphones. Facebook made games available and those companies wanted to make money so they posted advertisements in the games. People cried about getting add popups in their game so they made it so in games like farmville/mafiawars you have limits on how much you can do at one time (run out of energy). You can buy the ability to keep playing and go further. Look at Evony which started as Civony on FB. A whole game for free (a little more fun costs $30). Free to play forever as they advertise. Now I played this game for 2 years. For most people it wasn't enough. When people would get attacked at night they'd freak out over losing a city. So they would share login info with alliance members. But they couldn't feed their troops so bots were developed. After that it still wasn't enough so they had the bots multibox running 10 accounts at once to feed 1 main account. Devs caught on to this and implimented captcha. Now the bots started charging for captcha solves. Communities in the game got fired up. How dare they have to pay to play a free game..... Funny thing was they weren't paying for the bots (most were being shared), yet they were paying $30 a pop to buy ports, leveling tools and other things to increase their play experience. People who didn't run the bots complained that they were not able to be on par with those that did. People using the bots complained that because they didn't pay for catpcha solves weren't on par with those that were. People who paid every step of the way were able to play it their way. Look at Sim City on FB. Same as Farmville only so much energy to play so much at a time with purchased upgrades. The world has changed to everyone wanting free games. I have 30 games downloaded on my phone for free, photo programs, gps etc for free. Everyone wants free stuff. Would bioware be smart to put advertisements in the game for the free people as a means to make money and unlock the restrictions? No cause people would complain about the adds....WOW doesn't have adds in F2P. EQ2 doesn't do that. We are living in the age of F2P games cause noone wants to pay to play a game. How dare Xbox charge me for Xbox live. Sony doesn't charge me.

Point I'm trying to make is if Bioware didn't make the game f2p people would complain about dead servers (tho mine was never dead). They make the game f2p and people complain about restrictions. Lets say they try the FB way of things and only allowed you to play so much at a time (5 min at level 5, 6 min at lvl 6) you would complain. This is not FB, this is not a phone, this is Bioware and people need to either accept they are doing a business model their way or no way. Don't like it go play farmville, go play evony, go play WOW. FB has destroyed peoples mentalities into thinking everything should be done for free (lol at FB stock).

Personally I like the monthly fee's. Rather pay $15 for a month of gaming than spend $50-100 at the bar for one night, or $10 on a big-mac meal, or $15 for a 3d movie plus another $10 for the popcorn meal.

Pay to play or don't complain. Bottom line

Imagine someone throws that block of text down from a building and it drops on your head.

The original message has been banned as cruel and unusual by several international conventions.

Edited by MariaD
typo

By the gods, i've translated it from walloftext crit!!

It reads.....

I've done a lot of reading on everyone's thoughts on F2P. While I agree with the restrictions some are weird but implemented. Games in general regardless of being an MMO or not have been faced with a lot of new issues over the last few years thanks to things like Facebook and smartphones.

Facebook made games available and those companies wanted to make money so they posted advertisements in the games. People cried about getting add popups in their game so they made it so in games like farmville/mafiawars you have limits on how much you can do at one time (run out of energy). You can buy the ability to keep playing and go further.

Look at Evony which started as Civony on FB. A whole game for free (a little more fun costs $30). Free to play forever as they advertise. Now I played this game for 2 years. For most people it wasn't enough. When people would get attacked at night they'd freak out over losing a city. So they would share login info with alliance members.

But they couldn't feed their troops so bots were developed. After that it still wasn't enough so they had the bots multibox running 10 accounts at once to feed 1 main account. Devs caught on to this and implimented captcha. Now the bots started charging for captcha solves.

Communities in the game got fired up. How dare they have to pay to play a free game..... Funny thing was they weren't paying for the bots (most were being shared), yet they were paying $30 a pop to buy ports, leveling tools and other things to increase their play experience. People who didn't run the bots complained that they were not able to be on par with those that did. People using the bots complained that because they didn't pay for catpcha solves weren't on par with those that were. People who paid every step of the way were able to play it their way.

Look at Sim City on FB. Same as Farmville only so much energy to play so much at a time with purchased upgrades. The world has changed to everyone wanting free games. I have 30 games downloaded on my phone for free, photo programs, gps etc for free. Everyone wants free stuff. Would bioware be smart to put advertisements in the game for the free people as a means to make money and unlock the restrictions? No cause people would complain about the adds....WOW doesn't have adds in F2P. EQ2 doesn't do that. We are living in the age of F2P games cause noone wants to pay to play a game. How dare Xbox charge me for Xbox live. Sony doesn't charge me.

Point I'm trying to make is if Bioware didn't make the game f2p people would complain about dead servers (tho mine was never dead). They make the game f2p and people complain about restrictions. Lets say they try the FB way of things and only allowed you to play so much at a time (5 min at level 5, 6 min at lvl 6) you would complain. This is not FB, this is not a phone, this is Bioware and people need to either accept they are doing a business model their way or no way. Don't like it go play farmville, go play evony, go play WOW. FB has destroyed peoples mentalities into thinking everything should be done for free (lol at FB stock).

Personally I like the monthly fee's. Rather pay $15 for a month of gaming than spend $50-100 at the bar for one night, or $10 on a big-mac meal, or $15 for a 3d movie plus another $10 for the popcorn meal.

Pay to play or don't complain. Bottom line

O wow tetris again , OP you only need two lines to send 4 whole column's to the other player , go for it!!

Just to add I don't use FB or own SmartPhone :). Plus BioWare are keen to start making tablet games , what on earth is the world coming to , to game on a slab of glass ? errr no.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

I tried reading, but my head started to hurt and i was afraid i might get permanent injuries...

oh well, i hope it was just a rant that you needed to write, but not for anyone to read... because i honestly doubt that anyone would read all of that.

also, here are some dots, commas, questionmarks and exclamationmarks for you to use:

...............................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!?????????????

You're welcome

Lol. People refuse to read the original post and comment on punctuation? Read it and you will see for the most part it is more accurate than you incorrectly imply. Second. The original post is 3 paragraphs. 3 separate thoughts. Made to be only 3 paragraphs. Before you try to burn someone at a fifth grade reading level you might want to make sure you are correct. This is why you have failed.... world full of one liners with no original thoughts. Someone has those and you get OMG WALL O TEXT cannot read

Lol. People refuse to read the original post and comment on punctuation? Read it and you will see for the most part it is more accurate than you incorrectly imply. Second. The original post is 3 paragraphs. 3 separate thoughts. Made to be only 3 paragraphs. Before you try to burn someone at a fifth grade reading level you might want to make sure you are correct. This is why you have failed.... world full of one liners with no original thoughts. Someone has those and you get OMG WALL O TEXT cannot read

If someone cannot edit their text properly do you think it gives an impression that it's worth reading?

I read the redo of it but for future references, use your enter key, its there for a reason. It gives the impression of someone who doesnt know what he's doing and that for most people is an automatic "n00b, tl;dr" because usually it is.

So yea, punctuation and spacing isnt optional. Its mandatory

OT: I agree

The redo is inaccurate. It splits up a single thought into 3 paragraphs

1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

Again if you want to correct someone please be accurate. Correcting someone when wrong shows how ignorant you are. Just because a single thought is long and needs 12 sentences to express does not make it wrong.

Added an extra space this time for those that cannot see that and enter key has been pressed once (not twice). Try responding to the original topic. Your attempts to flame are really quite funny and lame. Someone made a long post. They must be a noob to the game..... Wrong don't normally post on forums so this one liner attitude baffles me.

The redo is inaccurate. It splits up a single thought into 3 paragraphs

1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

Again if you want to correct someone please be accurate. Correcting someone when wrong shows how ignorant you are. Just because a single thought is long and needs 12 sentences to express does not make it wrong.

Added an extra space this time for those that cannot see that and enter key has been pressed once (not twice). Try responding to the original topic. Your attempts to flame are really quite funny and lame. Someone made a long post. They must be a noob to the game..... Wrong don't normally post on forums so this one liner attitude baffles me.

I did respond to the original topic... Im just saying that its horrendous to read and looks unprofessional.