The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Scoundrel Healing 101

bshenkd

Hey, I'm playing a scoundrel and following this guide for warzones, but I need some help.I've always sucked at organizing my quickbars.Can you tell me the way you organize yours ? The shortcuts, I mean.

This is what I do and there is no need of gaming equipment.

Underworld medicine, kolto pack and diagnostic scan respectively on shift + a, s, d.

This way those skills are easy to reach.

Slow release medpack on r. Close to my hand so easy and fast to reach. Emergency medpack is on shift + r.

The last heal kolto cloud is on the mouse wheel button (as a button, not as scrolling).

Defensive stuff depends on what you can reach quickly with your hand.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
My first attempt at a comprehensive SWTOR guide. Be easy on me :)

Stat Priority:

This one is still up in the air as everyone is still trying to figure out the proper DRs for most stats and how each effect each class. I'm still curious as to whether Bioware intend on changing crit in any way to make it more appealing, but until then I've decided to go with the following stat priority:

Cunning >= Power > Surge (72%) > Alacrity > Crit

[/code]

well i do not get the reason why you prefer alacrity over crit.

alacrity does absolutly nothing for your hots wich are 90-95% of your healing done(the moment you break 1,2mio in a wz) - it doesnt decrease the time between two ticks and the effect on GCD is even worse than crit effects

while a few % more crit are visible.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for a friend of mine.

She is a level 55 Scoundrel Healer. she has pretty good gear, all purple 66, with some 69 all augmented.

Her question is she does not pvp but she is wondering how useful is scamper in the HD flashpoints such as Athiss and the new ones.

Thank you for your time.

Scamper is very useful. You can use 3 in a row to speed you up if lost in the desert storm on SV, also when the adds come after you on Titan 6 to round up adds quickly under boss for AoE, for anything on the ground, get you out if it instantly. Use it during many fights for quick reaction.

Scamper is very useful. You can use 3 in a row to speed you up if lost in the desert storm on SV, also when the adds come after you on Titan 6 to round up adds quickly under boss for AoE, for anything on the ground, get you out if it instantly. Use it during many fights for quick reaction.

Thanks I let her know. She is kind of shy in coming to the forums. She was wondering about it and especially on the last fight on Athiss where the fireballs come after you.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody :) I have few questions:

1. Is this thread outdated or still building like this is great?

2. How much crit chance should i have (without any buffs, but with points in skill tree)?

3. Is there any sense to keep ~75% of crit multiplier without 30-35% of crit chance?

4. Should I have ~5% of alacrity or more is good too?

Edited by Katiusz

Hello everybody :) I have few questions:

1. Is this thread outdated or still building like this is great?

2. How much crit chance should i have (without any buffs, but with points in skill tree)?

3. Is there any sense to keep ~75% of crit multiplier without 30-35% of crit chance?

4. Should I have ~5% of alacrity or more is good too?

1. yes this thread is outdated it hasn't been updated since 2.0 EX: cover no longer prevents you from being charged, Emergency Medpack is getting reworked in 2.7 (a coupple days from now) so instead of regranting UH in the execute range it will regrant UH at any health level with a 10s ICD (its a change that has many Scoundrel/Operative healers upset)

2. Crit chance is certainly a low priority for all classes at the moment ive only heard a few people on this forum say it helps them better than power but they tend to be at the top level gearwise.

3. i havent heard many complaints about surge but i would stack Power before Surge

4. Alacrity will increase your energy regeneration, shorten your casts and the GCD as well (not usually noticeable unless you have a ton) it is generally considered the healer's tertiary stat but its more useful on Sages who have more casts.

• 3 weeks later...

What are peoples general thoughts on Soundrel healers in PVE (I never do PVP).

First of all I am not a main healer in any respect, only ever really used DPS characters, I have rarly had to act as a healer with my commando, with mixed results but I was running a the Aithiss Flashpoint as a level 21 scoundrel the other day when our healer "rage quit" and group finder automatically re-listed me in both specs, since the 2 other guys had DPS ticked I could not get it changed quick enough before we popped. I then re-specced as heals (not really using any guides to figure out the correct trees) and finsihed the flashpoint with relative ease with the others saying I had done a decent job which made me think about trying to run heals to see how it goes .

If I was to try my hand at healing on this character, is it one of the easier healers to pick up as a "first try" or was I just lucky in the flashpoint?

Scoundrel healers, if played right are comparable to mando healers in effectiveness. But then again... in the hands of a skilled user, all 3 can be more or less counted as equal in the current content.

As for learning difficulty... It's got a slight catch to it.

Healing on a mando or sage is more about reactive healing. You see the health drop, you throw a heal there.

On a scoundrel, it's more proactive. You anticipate who might be taking damage, you apply your hots and throw in some bigger heals if needed. Most of the time, in pve you already know who is going to be taking the brunt of the damage, so it's not that difficult to master.

• 7 months later...
Scoundrel healers, if played right are comparable to mando healers in effectiveness. But then again... in the hands of a skilled user, all 3 can be more or less counted as equal in the current content.

As for learning difficulty... It's got a slight catch to it.

Healing on a mando or sage is more about reactive healing. You see the health drop, you throw a heal there.

On a scoundrel, it's more proactive. You anticipate who might be taking damage, you apply your hots and throw in some bigger heals if needed. Most of the time, in pve you already know who is going to be taking the brunt of the damage, so it's not that difficult to master.

And if you screw it up, then you don't have the time to make a recovery. Someone's dead. xD. I really like that. In PvP, it's not entirely different. It's fairly obvious who's the next on your team that's going to meet with a hard zerg burn. HoT the bazinga out of them and then just spam the freebie heal until the HoTs need refreshing or come off of CD.

• 2 weeks later...

We have rotations now! I thought it might be interesting to discuss what people are finding most effective for raid healing (AoE), tank healing (Single Target), and the ever present someone stood in bad and needs health ASAP healing (Reactive).

AOE

One of my guildies and I were working out what he calls a Crazy HoT rotation, which works well for bunched up folks with lots of raid damage (Underlurker fight is a good example).

We came up with:

Start with 2 stack 8 people (can be prepull)

1) KC

2) KW (clip)

3) Refresh all 8 stacks with alternating EMP and SRMP as UH allows

This keeps the KC +Healing buff up, and the alternating EMP usage keeps the +3% buff for using UH up as much as possible. I was doing around 8k HPS, even with a lot of movement, as the rotation isn't as dependent on the channel.

Single Target

I have been using:

Start with 2 stack SRMP

1) alternate KP & KC for buffs

2) EMP

4) UWM

5) EMP

6) EMP

7) UWM

8) EMP or DS to maintain energy

9) EMP or DS to maintain energy

You can also pre-stack the second tank (or another target), and use of the EMPs each round to reset his stacks. It is nowhere near the ST healing I could do pre 3.0, but seems to be an energy stable rotation. Any suggestions?

ST Reactive Healing

This is by far our weakest area right now. I am looking at:

If KC is availiable-

1) KC (+Pugnacity if no UH)

2) EMP

3) UWM

4) 1 x SRMP

5) Move to next target while HoTs tick

In 192 gear and with the sequential +healing buffs from KC and EMP, that should do about 21k healing.

If KC is not available -

1) EMP

2) UWM

3) EMP

4) 1 x SRMP

5) Move to next target while HoTs tick

In 192 gear and with the sequential +healing buff from EMP, that should do about 19k healing.

This is a big change, because we used to always UWM then EMP for energy neutrality and the UH. I've found that with current crit rates, UH is almost never a limitation and UWM can use all the +healing buffs we can give it.

Other thoughts or ideas?

Edited by mydogclimbstree
Deleted an incorrect word.

AOE

One of my guildies and I were working out what he calls a Crazy HoT rotation, which works well for bunched up folks with lots of raid damage (Underlurker fight is a good example).

We came up with:

Start with 2 stack 8 people (can be prepull)

1) KC

2) KW (clip)

3) Refresh all 8 stacks with alternating EMP and SRMP as UH allows

This keeps the KC +Healing buff up, and the alternating EMP usage keeps the +3% buff for using UH up as much as possible. I was doing around 8k HPS, even with a lot of movement, as the rotation isn't as dependent on the channel.

Just did 9.8k HPS in 186 gear using this rotation on SM Commanders in ToS.

Just did 9.8k HPS in 186 gear using this rotation on SM Commanders in ToS.

Your efficiency couldn't have been above 35%. There isn't a single fight in any of the new operations that requires that much constant healing to all 8 members of the raid.

The only fight that does require a lot of raid-wide healing is Underlurker. In this instance it's much more efficient to use Wave when behind the rocks or at non-stand-in-the-cross times. It will heal for more than the hot, hitting 6-8 people at once. This frees up approx 6 GCD's per rotation to be used on the tanks or dps that are getting hit harder.

I don't doubt that you could get through story mode stuff doing this, but you're dumping a lot of healing responsibility on your partner, as well as wasting a lot of time refreshing hots on people that don't need them.

Your efficiency couldn't have been above 35%. There isn't a single fight in any of the new operations that requires that much constant healing to all 8 members of the raid.

The only fight that does require a lot of raid-wide healing is Underlurker. In this instance it's much more efficient to use Wave when behind the rocks or at non-stand-in-the-cross times. It will heal for more than the hot, hitting 6-8 people at once. This frees up approx 6 GCD's per rotation to be used on the tanks or dps that are getting hit harder.

I don't doubt that you could get through story mode stuff doing this, but you're dumping a lot of healing responsibility on your partner, as well as wasting a lot of time refreshing hots on people that don't need them.

Yes, yes, and yes. It was a fun experiment though.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...