Scoundrel Healing 101

bshenkd

Wedge, you're correct. Surge is definitely worth more credit than I'm giving it. In my current set of healing gear, mostly Columi, I'm at 72% surge. So yeah, you're right.

However, I stand that people should not de-mod their items to stack crit/surge over power and alacrity, and that alacrity (subject to far less diminishing returns than surge and slightly less than crit) is a good stat. Even a great stat. As for disregarding power, what are you thinking? Power has no diminishing returns whatsoever, making it a great stat to stack, especially for use on relics.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just specced Sawbones because of the nerf. Let me tell you, for me, it was/is the worst healing experience in any MMO I played since Ultima Online. It feels so clunky. Not only that, but I can understand why no one heals in PUG Warzones. It's just so much zerging and ganking, you just can't keep up. And the UI... don't get me started...

The thing that absolutely kills it for me is that in PUGs no one ever watches both doors or defends a node. I'm always the guy doing it. But what good am I as a healer if I guard a door/node by myself?! Now I'm "useless" as a damage dealer because of the nerf and I'm "useless" as a healer because of stupid groups. /sadface

Edited by karcyon

I agree with Donkey on this one. And plus, cancelling out of DS casting is extremely easy. If you're in the middle of your DS cast, go ahead and try casting Underworld Medicine - it'll automatically start casting. Bioware made it so every other ability takes priority over DS which is nice.

Also, I just uploaded two more videos to my youtube channel - both as a Sawbones healer.

- Huttball #1 (8-man premade!)

- Alderaan #2

Here are also some pictures that display the power of Sawbones healing:

http://i.imgur.com/EvSux.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZPuII.jpg

I like the videos. well played. Sometimes I guess you could make more damage, but your healing skills (and your feeling for the right time) are awesome

I realize this is a thread about healing, but on a related note:

What's the methodology behind soloing with a Sawbones Scoundrel? Is it pretty reasonable in terms of being able to progress through quests quickly.

I want to be a healer, but I also recognize that I'm going to have to spend some time soloing to progress my character. I'm not in a guild, and probably won't be in the near future.

I leveled 1-50 as a sawbones. It is doable and quite easy.

3. A lot of people are avoiding alacrity. They're removing 56 enhancements in their gear to replace them with 52 enhancements in order to gain surge and avoid alacrity. Note that I'm not saying we should avoid surge either, just that it shouldn't be stacked. I currently have 72.06% surge, this is enough. The people pushing 80%+ crit mult are, in my opinion, stacking it too hard.

I agree....There are all kinds of theoretical ideas about the soft caps but from my experience (and I tested this the other day) I saw no difference in the amount i actually produced a critical heal using underworld medicine over 50% crit. I may be wrong, but I guess we will have to wait and see when we get a combat log.

I was going to post about all the stat differences and things you loose by swapping rank 58 enhancements out of Rakata level gear. But its simple enough for you to figure it out

Take the alacrity you get on your set pieces. Stack surge and crit somewhere else.

You should not be removing rank 58 mods and sticking 51 level mods in there.

If you are serious about min/max, why aren't you thinking about all the health you are loosing by dropping all that endurance.

I agree....There are all kinds of theoretical ideas about the soft caps but from my experience (and I tested this the other day) I saw no difference in the amount i actually produced a critical heal using underworld medicine over 50% crit. I may be wrong, but I guess we will have to wait and see when we get a combat log.

Using recount and wowwebstats during my 6+ years of world of warcraft, I always crit more often then my paperdoll and spreadsheets said I would.

RNG gods may favor me, but thats just the way it was.

• 2 weeks later...

So all in all what would be optimal stats for end-game PvE and PvP sawbones?

There is an option to change 58 enhancements with 56 that have end+power+surge. Loss of stats is not critical in that case. (I mean sum of stats between 58 and 56 is almost the same).

The question is how much alacrity do we really need! And knowing this golden number we can adjust all other stats.

So please masters of sawbones healing, tell us what would be optimal alacrity.

Edited by Eromy

So all in all what would be optimal stats for end-game PvE and PvP sawbones?

There is an option to change 58 enhancements with 56 that have end+power+surge. Loss of stats is not critical in that case. (I mean sum of stats between 58 and 56 is almost the same).

The question is how much alacrity do we really need! And knowing this golden number we can adjust all other stats.

So please masters of sawbones healing, tell us what would be optimal alacrity.

Take what you are forced to get, don't go out of your way to get it though. Alacrity is detrimental in PVE. It has some value in PVP.

There's an interesting discussion of alacrity on Sith Warrior:

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Alacrity-Little-effect-on-sustained-HPS

The discussion from the past week focuses on how useful Alacrity is for burst healing, when speed is more important than energy efficiency, plus the effect of diminishing returns on Surge. One poster, Smokescreen has a spreadsheet that results in a stat priority of:

Cunning >= Power > Crit > Surge (to ~250) > Alacrity > Surge

Which is to say, the diminishing returns of Surge make Alacrity a more attractive stat for burst healing after 250 Surge.

Note: I used the mental thing on Triage to clense a Mind Trap (Assassin tranquilizer). Orrr his CC breaker was done at the exact same time and made no animation. Just pick which you think is more likely :p

So even though it doesn't display a debuff, it seems to be clensable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some of my input from personal experience pvp/pve at 50:

Alacrity is not a priority stat at this point. In fact they are adjusting the pvp commendation/pve fp vendor gear in 1.2 to allow people to not have to use this stat. It may be useful for a gunslinger or a sage, etc... but we just dont have enough activated channeled skills to make use of it. Only UWM, Kolto Pack, and DS are the heals that benefit from alacrity and 2 of those are essentialy useless as I will explain further ahead. So why use half waste half of your armor stats on something that only affects a few things when you can use power, crit, surge, which can affect every ability....?

Im sorry, but Diagnostic Scan as of now is only used for energy gain from the skill tree buffs. In 1.2 it may be more viable, but the situations it is useful in are very few and far between. Essentially the only time you can be using it safely is when you don't need it.

The same goes for kolto pack there is only .001 percent of situations where UWM is not better. 5 energy is negligable, using upperhand instead of gaining it is bad, and the difference in cast time is not noticable or useful. Basically, if you need to heal someone so fast that .5 sec actually makes a difference in whether they live or die you should probably be casting EMP or even Triage.

My point is none of these abilities fill a role that isnt filled better by other ones 99.9% of the time. A decoy for interrupts (a counter for a counter-ability is not a true purpose)

I have read and reread thhis thread and I want to thank everyone especially the op. I never run out of energy and am at the very least number 2 on healing pvp. I have followed this thread to the letter and it works great. thanks!

(I,m only lvl 37 and it seems to keep getting better and better) does it ever stop?

ps... do people not understand that smugglers are awsome healers? especially in pvp.

drac

Edited by MRSA

Thank you for that info.

I looked at the tree skill, and I'm wondering, does it matter which row should I fill in first? For example, can I use my first 3 points for Scrapper and then 7 for Dirty Fighting and all others for Sawbones as I lvl up?

Thank you for that info.

I looked at the tree skill, and I'm wondering, does it matter which row should I fill in first? For example, can I use my first 3 points for Scrapper and then 7 for Dirty Fighting and all others for Sawbones as I lvl up?

I'd go fully into Sawbones first, and then branch out. That way you'll get your level 20 (Slow-release Medpac), 30 (Emergency Medpac), and 40 (Kolto Cloud) at those levels.

I've seen two major prioritized lists of sub-stats:

Cunning > Tech Power > Critical Rating > Surge > Alacrity

(Bshenkd)

Cunning > Surge (to ~75%) > Crit (~35%) > Power > Alacrity

What appears to be happening is a difference in opinion with Tech Power and Surge being the 2nd more important while Surge and Power being the 4th most important.

what do you guys have to say?

Edited by Sydth

I've seen two major prioritized lists of sub-stats:

Cunning > Tech Power > Critical Rating > Surge > Alacrity

(Bshenkd)

Cunning > Surge (to ~75%) > Crit (~35%) > Power > Alacrity

What appears to be happening is a difference in opinion with Tech Power and Surge being the 2nd more important while Surge and Power being the 4th most important.

what do you guys have to say?

The reason I have that stat priority is because you can't really stack tech power. It only comes from your main-hand and offhand and you aren't really actively searching for it, because it cannot be improved beyond your mainhand/offhand.